or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4S quickly jumps to second-most popular camera phone on Flickr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4S quickly jumps to second-most popular camera phone on Flickr

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Little more than a month after arriving on the market, Apple's latest handset has already become the second-most popular camera phone on photo sharing website Flickr, behind only its predecessor, the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4S passed up its older siblings the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, as well as the HTC EVO 4G, the only Android phone on the list, to take second place among camera phones on Flickr, MacRumors pointed out on Monday. The iPhone 4 still maintains a sizable margin on its successor, though that gap is, of course, expected to shorten in coming months.

In the meantime, the iPhone 4 continues to reign as the most popular camera in the whole Flickr community, followed by digital SLR cameras from Nikon and Canon. Apple's best-selling fourth-generation handset took the top spot several months ago.

Apple has pleased photography enthusiasts with the iPhone 4S, which features an upgrade to 8-megapixels, a high-end infrared filter, a face detection feature, and full HD 1080p video recording capabilities with image stabilization. A recent shootout between the iPhone 4S and a comparable DSLR, point-and-shoot digital camera and an Android smartphone by ArsTechnica revealed that the iPhone 4S is a convenient "great alternative" to digital cameras.



In addition to enthusiasts, professionals have spoken out in praise of the iPhone's picture-taking capabilities. Renowned photographer Annie Liebovitz recently called the iPhone the "snapshot camera of today."

"I'm still learning how to use mine," she said. "It's great. It's a pencil, it's a pen, it's a notebook. I can't tell you how many times I see people show me their children. It's the wallet with the family pictures in it. It is so accessible and easy."

Click here to view the iPhone 4S Camera Photo Album

As photography on Apple's iPhone has grown ever more popular, even prompting the creation of a new word -- "iPhoneography," some analysts have begun to speculate that the device could heavily disrupt the digital camera market in addition to the mobile phone industry. Market research firm IHS iSuppli suggested last summer that shipments of digital cameras will fall as consumers turn to smartphones and tablets such as the iPhone and iPad. Cisco's Flip video cameras have already become an early casualty.

The iPhone 4S is poised to smash Apple's previous iPhone sales records this quarter. The device already got off to a hot start, with four million sold in its first weekend. Analysts believe the company could sell as many as 29 million iPhones in the December quarter, though those estimates include a mix of iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 units as well.
post #2 of 20
Haha, take that, Google!

ANDROID SUCKS!
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Haha, take that, Google!

ANDROID SUCKS!

Well, the camera modules are technically up to individual manufacturers, but I would agree that Apple puts some of the best image sensors on the iPhone 4 and 4S.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #4 of 20
Flickr - I have heard of that somewhere.

Is that a place where you upload photos? Something similar to picasaweb where most android users upload their photos?

Anyone else ever heard of it?
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Flickr - I have heard of that somewhere.

Is that a place where you upload photos? Something similar to picasaweb where most android users upload their photos?

Anyone else ever heard of it?

Flickr has been around since 2004 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005. Flickr had a total of 51 million registered members. It is popular with DSLR users. For mobile users, Flickr has an official app for iPhone, for Windows Phone 7, and for Android.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Flickr - I have heard of that somewhere.

Is that a place where you upload photos? Something similar to picasaweb where most android users upload their photos?

Anyone else ever heard of it?

Haha ha PicasaWeb? What a nice generic name just like Android [/sarc]. I suppose they don't use Flickr much but since it is the most popular it does not matter how many there are on PicasaWeb they won't get much recognition.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Haha ha PicasaWeb? What a nice generic name just like Android [/sarc]. I suppose they don't use Flickr much but since it is the most popular it does not matter how many there are on PicasaWeb they won't get much recognition.

His point is that all this shows is that the iPhone 4S and 4 are popular....on Flickr.

Shows no greater than or less than in any area other than Flickr.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

His point is that all this shows is that the iPhone 4S and 4 are popular....on Flickr.

Shows no greater than or less than in any area other than Flickr.

That's no point.

It says it right there in the title - "second-most popular camera phone on Flickr".

Somebody pointing that out is not making any point at all. Most people can read I assume.

Flickr is the largest by the way, with over 6 Billion photos. Picasa is nothing in comparison.

For the iPhone 4S to be newly released and already grabbing second spot on Flickr is actually pretty telling.
post #9 of 20
Europeans should be buying AAPL instead of German Bonds ... I'm sure it would be better for all
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #10 of 20
1) I think the ease in which you can take a snapshot an upload play a greater role than the quality of the camera components or am I incorrect in thinking the pre-iPhone 4 models were the most used smartphone cameras too.

2) You also need to take into account the number of units sold. Apple sold more 5th gen. iPhones in a weekend than most Android-based devices sell in their entire run.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

His point is that all this shows is that the iPhone 4S and 4 are popular....on Flickr.

Shows no greater than or less than in any area other than Flickr.

And if it was shown that iPhone users upload more pictures to the Internet than Android you'd just move your argument to "...all this shows is that the iPhone 4S and 4 are popular....on the Internet," claiming that it doesn't prove the iPhone is the most used smartphone camera.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 20
The proliferation of ILC's from Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung are further evidence that camera phones are significantly disrupting the point and shoot space.

Given that theses manufacturers have a great stake in the point and shoot market, but almost no measurable share in the DSLR market, they've had to create an alternate market for themseleves.

I think it's very possible the point and shoot camera will become obsolete. Very soon.

Heck, even Sony (which makes DSLR's) has an offering out there.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #12 of 20
I am one of those that will probably stop buying digital cameras. I had a really nice Lumix camera that was recently lost on a trip. I was really sad and thought that I would need to drop another $200-$300. I then thought about it and realized that I rarely used the camera anymore since I now own a iPhone4. I did use the camera for real estate purposes, but I hire a professional photographer now for my brochures, etc. It's been 3 months since I lost the Lumix and I haven't really noticed it. My iP4 does a really great job at photos and I can send pics to Facebook immediately. Not to mention that I am usually very aware where my iPhone is at all times, whereas the camera would be left in a location where it would be forgotten. I may still purchase one more camera, but I am pretty sure it will likely be the last one. My next phone will be the 6th gen iPhone and I have no doubts that it will have an even better camera than the 4s. I do wish that the phone had a way to select the size of the photo to save some space. Not all pics need to be 8meg resolution.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I think the ease in which you can take a snapshot an upload play a greater role than the quality of the camera components or am I incorrect in thinking the pre-iPhone 4 models were the most used smartphone cameras too.

2) You also need to take into account the number of units sold. Apple sold more 5th gen. iPhones in a weekend than most Android-based devices sell in their entire run.

1. Quality of camera and likely userbase. Not a lot of artsy people flock to Android.

2. Okay? lol.




Quote:
And if it was shown that iPhone users upload more pictures to the Internet than Android you'd just move your argument to "...all this shows is that the iPhone 4S and 4 are popular....on the Internet," claiming that it doesn't prove the iPhone is the most used smartphone camera.


So now, aside from the obvious fact based on other data that you and I know that the iPhone - period - is the most popular single device on the planet by far, what exactly do you think the data presented in this article logically concludes?

I try to avoid jumping to conclusions, even I know they would be true, based on a single set of data.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post

Flickr has been around since 2004 and acquired by Yahoo! in 2005. Flickr had a total of 51 million registered members. It is popular with DSLR users. For mobile users, Flickr has an official app for iPhone, for Windows Phone 7, and for Android.

I just checked out the android app - all that I can tell is that between 100,000 and 500,000 people with android have downloaded it. At best just over 0.025%, at worst 0.005%

Rather small percentage of total users.
post #15 of 20
Here's an interesting fact: some camera apps are removing the camera from the EXIF data and replacing it with their app name. Hipstamatic does this. My iPhone 4 shows up instead as a Hipstamatic 226.

This strongly suggests that the actual number of iPhone users on flickr is higher than we realize. Possibly much higher.
post #16 of 20
Surprisingly, I found some pretty explicit photos on that website.


Also, did you know Facebook has more photos than Flickr? Wonder how many of those are iPhone 4s worthy....
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Haha, take that, Google!

ANDROID SUCKS!

Depend on which.

I just got a White Galaxy Note for my wife from Hong Kong. It is a top tablet, phone, photo & video camera, note, media player...

I could not shut my mouth during the whole time with this Galaxy Note. Great user friendly. Fast. Amazing display. Although there is a bit time delay when using S pen (a stylus), but that is about it. Nothing else to complain about.

I am sure this would be a big hit. I would say to you forget about IPhone 4s and bring it on IPhone 5.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

depend on which.

I just got a white galaxy note for my wife from hong kong. It is a top tablet, phone, photo & video camera, note, media player...

I could not shut my mouth during the whole time with this galaxy note. Great user friendly. Fast. Amazing display. Although there is a bit time delay when using s pen (a stylus), but that is about it. Nothing else to complain about.

I am sure this would be a big hit. I would say to you forget about iphone 4s and bring it on iphone 5.

superamoled.....i wnat it sooo badly.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, the camera modules are technically up to individual manufacturers, but I would agree that Apple puts some of the best image sensors on the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I would add that it's a combination of sensors, optics and software.

This is an area where a hardware company, particularly an Android licensee, could really have stood out by investing in it. Yet it seems like Apple beat them all to it. Samsung and particularly Sony are camera manufacturers. They really are missing the boat.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Depend on which.

I just got a White Galaxy Note for my wife from Hong Kong. It is a top tablet, phone, photo & video camera, note, media player...

I could not shut my mouth during the whole time with this Galaxy Note. Great user friendly. Fast. Amazing display. Although there is a bit time delay when using S pen (a stylus), but that is about it. Nothing else to complain about.

I am sure this would be a big hit. I would say to you forget about IPhone 4s and bring it on IPhone 5.

I'm curious - for which apps would a stylus be essential?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4S quickly jumps to second-most popular camera phone on Flickr