or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to add NFC support for iOS e-wallet transactions in 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple expected to add NFC support for iOS e-wallet transactions in 2012

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Apple is rumored to add support for near-field communications technology to iOS next year, potentially giving iPhone owners the ability to use their phone as an e-wallet for making transactions.

Smartphone makers out of Taiwan told DigiTimes on Tuesday that Apple currently plans to add NFC support to iOS in 2012, likely with the next iPhone model. That would help penetration of NFC expand from what is currently less than 10 percent of smartphones sold to more than 50 percent in the next two to three years.

Microsoft, too, is said to be planning NFC-enabled smartphones for launch in 2012 with its Windows Phone platform. The additional support would allow its partners to build hardware with NFC chips to take advantage of the software support.

NFC chips have been appearing in some smartphones throughout 2011, with hardware makers Samsung, HTC, Nokia and Research in Motion all building handsets with support. But sources reportedly said that "unsmooth development of NFC" is largely because of a lack of standard specification, ecosystem and commercial operation.

Google has attempted to overcome those hurdles with Google Wallet, its own mobile payment application for NFC-equipped Android smartphones. The service uses virtual cards, such as a Google Prepaid Card, to allow users to "tap to pay."

In an attempt to further address the lack of NFC standardization, the GSM Association has been pushing a SIM-based NFC protocol that has gained support from 45 carriers around the world, including AT&T and Verizon, the two largest wireless providers in the U.S.

"This affords a clear direction for handset vendors and developers of applications to move toward applications of NFC functions," the report said.

Claims of an NFC-enabled iPhone have persisted for years as the short-range wireless technology has begun to appear on the market. But those rumors gained some credibility this September when The New York Times reported that Apple plans to build a future iPhone with NFC chips from Qualcomm for mobile payment functionality.

Apple's interest in NFC technology has been well documented through the company's patent filings, with proposed inventions related to e-wallet and tag reader functionality. Another patent application proposed using passive radio-frequency identification to transmit information about hardware failures.

Beyond patents, evidence of Apple's interest in NFC technology has come in the form of job listings and even public comments from mobile executives. Reports of iPhone prototypes with RFID functionality date back to 2009.
post #2 of 38
I think Apple will use Bluetooth 4.0 to kill NFC.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I think Apple will use Bluetooth 4.0 to kill NFC.

that would be unfortunate.

then again, wouldn't every phone support BT 4.0 soon?
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

that would be unfortunate.

Why do you think so? Wouldn't it be better to have this functionality based on a relatively free and open standard like Bluetooth rather than a closed, proprietary standard like NFC?
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #5 of 38
1) If Apple doesn't support NFC in 2012 we'll get another article they'll support it in 2013. At any rate, I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't expect it until the next 6th gen. iPhone, not with the 3rd gen. iPad.

2) iTS has been quite successful and seemingly secure over the years. I wonder if Apple will leverage these 400(?) million account holders with CCs on file to pass transactions. Besides serving as a way to data mine where and when customers spend their money they might be able to snake a small percentage off the top for themselves. With some US banks wanting to charge per usage fees for every debit transaction Apple could once again find themselves in a position to profit from an overreaching industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I think Apple will use Bluetooth 4.0 to kill NFC.

NFC and BT aren't competitors. NFC has unique capabilities that make it secure for use for transaction. Even though you can encrypt a signal over BT you really don't want your account info being sent out 50 meters.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 38
Good! It will quickly become the most used feature on the iPhone...may even surpass the number of phone calls.

I was just thinking last night what are my most used apps....calls, texts, checking email, online banking, camera, listening to podcasts, notes, tom-tom gps and redalaser...

Best
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Why do you think so? Wouldn't it be better to have this functionality based on a relatively free and open standard like Bluetooth rather than a closed, proprietary standard like NFC?

This is a good write up on NFC. Fairly technical but also very straightforward.

»

http://apcmag.com/inside-nfc-how-nea...tion-works.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good! It will quickly become the most used feature on the iPhone...may even surpass the number of phone calls.

I was just thinking last night what are my most used apps....calls, texts, checking email, online banking, camera, listening to podcasts, notes, tom-tom gps and redalaser...

Best

Off Topic: Have you tried TomTom on the iPad since it went Universal?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I think Apple will use Bluetooth 4.0 to kill NFC.

They should just Ban it instead.
post #9 of 38
Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2010 that Apple would add NFC in 2011. So this has become one of those vaporware technologies I'll believe when I see it. \
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2010 that Apple would add NFC in 2011. So this has become one of those vaporware technologies I'll believe when I see it. \

Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2006 that Apple would release a television set.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #11 of 38
This article is a reprint from last Fall, isn't it?
post #12 of 38
I just can't see Apple hatching an egg without the chicken (or having a chicken that lays no egg?).

The receiving part of the NFC transaction is virtually non-existent in this country. I doubt Apple would insert an NFC chip in their phones without it being functional out of the gate.

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

I envision a terminal a quarter the size of the Apple TV, plugs into the phone line, like current VeriFone terminals (with two RJ-45 jacks so that it can be hooked up serially--no need for a separate phone line, nor does it kick out the VeriFone terminal), with an amber/green/red light indicating hardware issue/good transaction/declined transaction.
post #13 of 38
The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations. All sorts of anger and disappointment was excited over the announcement if the iPhone 4s because of these stupid rumors. I frequently return to this site for tech news which is apple centric. These stupid rumors discourage this return. Almost as bad as the STUPID ADS in the lower left corner!

No, the stupid rumors are worse!
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They should just Ban it instead.

Let me guess. Because RFID is the work of the devil?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations. All sorts of anger and disappointment was excited over the announcement if the iPhone 4s because of these stupid rumors. I frequently return to this site for tech news which is apple centric. These stupid rumors discourage this return. Almost as bad as the STUPID ADS in the lower left corner!

No, the stupid rumors are worse!

It's a rumours site...
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations.

You're right. We should rename the site to be something more accurate.

Something like: " "

So www. .com, then. And we're on forums. .com right now.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I just can't see Apple hatching an egg without the chicken (or having a chicken that lays no egg?).

The receiving part of the NFC transaction is virtually non-existent in this country. I doubt Apple would insert an NFC chip in their phones without it being functional out of the gate.

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

This is what I've been thinking for the past year or two. What Apple should do is combine the NFC capability with their cash hoard and start a retail bank, bypassing the banks entirely and maybe the VISA/MC/AMEX as well. I don't know of any other company that has the combination of enough cash to start a large retail bank, 400 million customers and their payment information, and incredible degree of trust.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's a rumours site...


Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that. Stirring up expectations over something vaporous and uncertain only leads to confusion. This degrades the site.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that.

So I take it you're new to Apple. You've not visited an Apple rumor site EVER before, huh?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #20 of 38
What fanboys go wild....the same ones that were saying it were a failure with the Nexus.

On another note, however, this will be great as the Nexus wasn't exactly wide spread like the iPhone. This will be great!
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

This is what I've been thinking for the past year or two. What Apple should do is combine the NFC capability with their cash hoard and start a retail bank, bypassing the banks entirely and maybe the VISA/MC/AMEX as well. I don't know of any other company that has the combination of enough cash to start a large retail bank, 400 million customers and their payment information, and incredible degree of trust.

Walmart tried establishing a banking arm for several years. The US Government didn't see see eye to eye with their plans, and they've since given up on the idea. Apple wouldn't get the OK either IMHO.

But just as Walmart has made other plans, bypassing banking authorities, Apple might be able to design a way too that makes sense from a business perspective.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right. We should rename the site to be something more accurate.

Something like: " "

So www. .com, then. And we're on forums. .com right now.


Nothing wrong with the name of the site. Insiders know something. They don't blow smoke. Appleinsider should stop blowing smoke, and present rumors without expectations.

Just sayin....
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

What fanboys go wild....the same ones that were saying it were a failure with the Nexus.

You mean the Nexus that was released with NFC HW but neither the SW nor services infrastructure to make it useful out of the box? That Nexus?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean the Nexus that was released with NFC HW but neither the SW nor services infrastructure to make it useful out of the box? That Nexus?

Google gave me $10 bucks to try it out and put some gas in my car via 7-Eleven. Not sure what you're talking about.

It was a pretty easy process.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Google gave me $10 bucks to try it out and put some gas in my car via 7-Eleven. Not sure what you're talking about.

It was a pretty easy process.

Let me refresh you of the timeline you've conveniently rewritten.
  • December 16, 2010 Nexus S is released on T-Mobile USA.
  • May 26, 2011 Google Wallet NFC app finally gets demoed.
  • September 19, 2011 *Google Wallet NGC app finally gets released.

We're talking 10 months after the Nexus S had been on the market. But that's not all folks Google then only releases the app for the Nexus S 4G for Sprint that came out in May 2011, yet you claim to know nothing about the useless NFC int he Nexus S.

You still want to claim that the NFC wasn't a failure with the Nexus S? You still want to imply some myopic bias that Apple adding NFC would just be a me-too feature that will be just as useless out of the box as the Nexus S? Go right ahead, that'll be your little secret.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let me refresh you of the timeline you've conveniently rewritten.
  • December 16, 2010 — Nexus S is released on T-Mobile USA.
  • May 26, 2011 — Google Wallet NFC app finally gets demoed.
  • September 19, 2011 —*Google Wallet NGC app finally gets released.

We're talking 10 months after the Nexus S had been on the market. But that's not all folks… Google then only releases the app for the Nexus S 4G for Sprint that came out in May 2011, yet you claim to know nothing about the useless NFC int he Nexus S.

You still want to claim that the NFC wasn't a failure with the Nexus S? You still want to imply some myopic bias that Apple adding NFC would just be a me-too feature that will be just as useless out of the box as the Nexus S? Go right ahead, that'll be your little secret.

You said useful out ot the box. I took it out of the box and set it up. Used it that day. Out of the box is relative. It's not useless if I've used it. Apprently you haven't had hands on experience to use it.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

I posted exactly same idea the first time this rumour was discussed. I don't think apple has the leverage to cut the card companies out of the picture entirely. After all the iTunes accounts are linked to credit cards in the first place. Apple can't allow you make purchases using gift card credit because those regularly sell for as much as 33% off the face value. Imagine the chaos if people realise it only costs $40 worth of iTunes credit to purchase $60 worth of iTunes credit at a store. The real value in this industry is the network infrastructure laid down by Visa/MasterCard that enables it to function independently of the internet. Unless they aim to charge customers extra for using the service the best Apple can hope for is to partner exclusively with one of the major two in exchange for a thin slice of the transaction.
post #28 of 38
NFC doesn't really wow me, and seems like more of a security risk then anything. I'd probably turn it off if my phone supported it.
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

NFC doesn't really wow me, and seems like more of a security risk then anything. I'd probably turn it off if my phone supported it.

I can understand the reservation about security of digital technology, especially a wireless one, but in many ways it's more secure than a plastic card with printed numbers.

For example, let's say someone swipes your phone and wallet at the gym. Your card numbers are compromised right away. They don't even have to go as far as to steal the card to get access to data on the card, sometimes cloning the card without your knowledge. Now if you had your cards on your phone they'd have to get past your phone's primary PIN and the one for the payment (assuming that is setup). That would take longer and in that time you might be able to locate and/or wipe the device, something you can't do with plastic cards.

With NFC it's only enabled when you enable it, the data can encrypted so it's not human readable, and a thief with a snooping device would have be quite clever to get access to such a short loop of the field. This has the potential to protect against the in-house crimes where you willingly give your card to a person to swipe.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Unless they aim to charge customers extra for using the service the best Apple can hope for is to partner exclusively with one of the major two in exchange for a thin slice of the transaction.

it's a bit late to partner exclusively with either VISA or Mastercard as they've already partnered with Google Wallet. AMEX and Discover have yet to agree, so an exclusive with either of those might be possible.

EDIT: I stand corrected apparently. Looks like Amex and discover are on board with Google too.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

it's a bit late to partner exclusively with either VISA or Mastercard as they've already partnered with Google Wallet. AMEX and Discover have yet to agree, so an exclusive with either of those might be possible.

I didn't think VISA and MC's licences were exclusive to Google Wallet.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't think VISA and MC's licences were exclusive to Google Wallet.

They're not AFAIK. The OP suggested an Apple exclusive with one of them, which wouldn't be possible since there's an agreement in place with Google.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that. Stirring up expectations over something vaporous and uncertain only leads to confusion. This degrades the site.

I don't see how it is anything besides a rumor. The report says nothing to the effect of "dudz! Apple is going to do NFC. It will totally rock! The countdown starts now!!". How is it hyping?
post #34 of 38
I feel like I heard this all before.... like a year ago.

"Trust me guys, the iPhone 4s will have a 4 inch screen, 4G, an aluminum back, wireless charging and syncing, and it will be 1cm thick!"

After the 4s launch I'm staying away from rumors.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They're not AFAIK. The OP suggested an Apple exclusive with one of them, which wouldn't be possible since there's an agreement in place with Google.

You misunderstand. Any exclusive arrangement would be with MasterCard at the exclusion of Visa (or vice versa) rather than the exclusion of Google. Apple brings a captive market to the table. The advantage for the card partner is that all payments from that captive market go through them rather than their competitor.

Visa/MasterCard would gain no benefit from signing any agreement with Google or Apple that would limit their own share of NFC transactions to a single market. But they might jump at the oppurtunity to sign an agreement that would limit their competitor's market.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

You said useful out ot the box. I took it out of the box and set it up. Used it that day. Out of the box is relative. It's not useless if I've used it. Apprently you haven't had hands on experience to use it.

What else have you used it for? Just curious.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What else have you used it for? Just curious.

GAS is just it. The problem would be most stores don't have NFC (though my jobs' lunch room has nfc equipped coke/vending machines).

Plus, I have a VISA, and that support hasn't been added yet. I don't know why Google has a hard time releasing a solid product instead of BETA. I'm upset with Apple virutally having Siri in beta too, but NFC shoulda waited longer.

NFC is EASIER than a debit card for me.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

NFC doesn't really wow me, and seems like more of a security risk then anything. I'd probably turn it off if my phone supported it.

It's pretty safe. I mean, you drop your debit card, someone can CHARGE IT CHARGE IT CHARGE IT. With NFC phones, at least the Nexus, you have to enter your PIN number for it to be enabled and automatically locks after like a minute.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expected to add NFC support for iOS e-wallet transactions in 2012