or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP leads all 1.2M non-Apple tablets sold in US in 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP leads all 1.2M non-Apple tablets sold in US in 2011 - Page 3

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

We are laughing now but I feel that this will be a repeat of the smartphone market. Apple's share will drop but it will retain the 15-20% that everyone wants. The most profitable slice of the market.

That is very likely. There's nothing magical about these products.
post #82 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's silly. The TouchPad is a very useful tablet and does a lot of things. The only major limitation is lack of apps - so why would you cripple it further by hacking it to run an OS where you can't even be sure if ANY of the apps will work?

Let's put it this way: if I would have been thinking about getting an Android tablet at the time of the TouchPad fire sale, I would have jumped on one immediately. The TouchPad hardware is much better than any of the sub-iPad-price Android tablets, and it was almost guaranteed someone would make a fully functional custom Android ROM for it, seeing that HP was dropping support for WebOS.

I'm not saying WebOS is inferior to Android, just that at $99, the TouchPad was a perfect device for anyone into Android hacking. I imagine lots of units ended up running custom Android ROMs.
post #83 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think so. I think it's moving steady toward repeating the iPod dominance, only much faster. If they do get Retina Display (265ppi) for the iPad in early 2012 then I'd say it's definitely a done deal for the foreseeable tech future.

I would bet on that...

Likely a faster, more core, CPU/GPU combo; bigger SSD; More RAM

Also ThunderBolt (if only through an adapter to the existing connector).

And an update to iOS that allows you to AirPlay Mirror everything.


There is a companion update necessary -- an Updated AppleTV that is robust enough to handle the new iPad...


Below are some interesting devices -- basically, an inexpensive ARM computer on a stick.

It would be interesting if Apple could build an inexpensive ATV this size -- that could get power from the TV (or Display) through the cable that attaches it to the HDTV.

The ATV would not require a separate power supply or power cable -- just the cable (or port) to plug into the HDTV.

Then, the ATV could WiFi receive content from one or more iDevices and display it on the HDTV.




Tiny Android "Cotton Candy" USB Stick Will be Priced at Under $200





Raspberry PI USB Computer, Designed For Schools, Costs £15 (video)
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I love NPR and PBS, how do you get the latter via ATV? I'd like the BEEB too. Of course I can use iPad and mirroring ... DUH!

Airplay mirroring via your iPad?
post #85 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Staying off topic, re Netflix Streaming ... I'm working through every Star Treck ever made, in chronological order. So Voyager is first. Got to love T'Pol

The Fourth angel said to me « umrk, if you want to know what the future will be, just watch the 726 Episodes of the 30 Seasons of Star Treks five Series since the beginning (Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation, Star Trek : Voyager, Star Trek : Enterprise, Deep Space Nine). If you are attentive enough, you will know what all future Apple products will be (Combadge, iPad, holosuite, etc ). Things will happen exactly as described. However, do not try to match countries on the Earth with Star Treks characters (People from the Federation, Romulians, Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengis, Vulcans, Klingons, etc ) : all assumptions you may make will prove to be false !

Be also informed that we added Rule N°286 to the Ferengis « Rules of acquisition ». This new rule states if you want to make money, just buy Apple Shares. Be nevertheless aware that this rule applies to Ferengis only. If you are not sure to be one, do whatever you please, its your money after all !
He also said « be careful with the guy who « conducts his business with a pointed stick » (as Frank Zappa describes him), I think you know who I am talking about
post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think so. I think it's moving steady toward repeating the iPod dominance, only much faster. If they do get Retina Display (265ppi) for the iPad in early 2012 then I'd say it's definitely a done deal for the foreseeable tech future.

If you honestly believe that, you're ability to see into the future must be quite limited. The iPod was introduced as a dedicated device in an era who's concept of "syncing" was limited to contacts and notes in a PDA. The iPad isn't a dedicated device, nor are any of those other tablets. The iPad is a computer, one that's touched based, easy to use, and has an almost-limitless feature set with 3rd party apps.

But much like a computer, it can't be best for everyone. Some need lower-cost devices to deploy on a budget. Some need custom hardware, functionality or applications that are impossible with the iPad. Some just prefer different form factors and screen sizes. There will always be opportunity in this market if a product comes along that's a compelling alternative. Very few devices on the market today qualify for that title, but once the magic formula has been figured out, more and more will.

The iPad will most likely be the default choice for the next few years, but even a major hardware refresh next year won't stop the inevitable. The iPad won't be on top forever, and that's a good thing. Competition yields innovation and better products.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

If you honestly believe that, you're ability to see into the future must be quite limited. <...>

But much like a computer, it can't be best for everyone. Some need lower-cost devices to deploy on a budget. Some need custom hardware, functionality or applications that are impossible with the iPad. Some just prefer different form factors and screen sizes. There will always be opportunity in this market if a product comes along that's a compelling alternative. Very few devices on the market today qualify for that title, but once the magic formula has been figured out, more and more will.

<...>

You do realize that there were several companies that tried in vain to find the "magic" formula to knock the iPod from top spot, right?

What makes you feel that someone will eventually find that "magic" formula for a tablet?

I know, I know... it'll just happen because it's magic...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

If you honestly believe that, you're ability to see into the future must be quite limited. The iPod was introduced as a dedicated device in an era who's concept of "syncing" was limited to contacts and notes in a PDA. The iPad isn't a dedicated device, nor are any of those other tablets. The iPad is a computer, one that's touched based, easy to use, and has an almost-limitless feature set with 3rd party apps.

But much like a computer, it can't be best for everyone. Some need lower-cost devices to deploy on a budget. Some need custom hardware, functionality or applications that are impossible with the iPad. Some just prefer different form factors and screen sizes. There will always be opportunity in this market if a product comes along that's a compelling alternative. Very few devices on the market today qualify for that title, but once the magic formula has been figured out, more and more will.

The iPad will most likely be the default choice for the next few years, but even a major hardware refresh next year won't stop the inevitable. The iPad won't be on top forever, and that's a good thing. Competition yields innovation and better products.

I disagree...

Figuring out the recipe (the magic formula) doesn't mean you can afford all the ingredients, bake the cake that is desirable enough to sell at a profit.

Everybody has good ideas -- Apple implements them in a marketable appealing way.


I do agree that the iPad won't be on top forever... I'd give it 5-10 years (starting in 2010)!


But, if I were to bet on who will come up with something that unseats the iPad... it would be Apple!


Who else!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #89 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Competition yields innovation and better products.

Oh, does it really?

So far there is the iPad, which reigns supreme and there have been countless other tablets, which are all pieces of crap and nobody is interested in buying them, because they're inferior and cheap knockoffs. Not a whole lot of innovation taking place.
post #90 of 137
I think 1/4th the price is what most people are looking for. For me, most Android tabeltos are unproven.
post #91 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh, does it really?

So far there is the iPad, which reigns supreme and there have been countless other tablets, which are all pieces of crap and nobody is interested in buying them, because they're inferior and cheap knockoffs. Not a whole lot of innovation taking place.

By that logic, OSX isn't innovative because they don't sell as well as Windows?
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It's pretty obvious that people who go to a store to buy a specific product are there to buy that product, and that they feel strongly about their decision.

Those people are not there with a wishy-washy idea that they are going to go home with some product from a category - they are there to buy a specific product.

Sometimes I type this stuff and then just delete it before I post it. Usually I do that, in fact. Often responding to this type of thing is just TOO boring.

Ferget it.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "default tablet choice," since most people I know are not asking themselves, "which tablet?" but "should I get an iPad or a new laptop?" Although lately, the Kindle Fire has people I know asking "Kindle or iPad?"

"Default" makes it sound like no thought was put into it, but any product that costs at least $499 requires some thought commitment--whether they stand in line or not--it's not a what the hell impulse buy.

I've always maintained that a tablet market exists, and it has going back to the days of Windows for Pen Computing and the Apple Newton. But Apple managed to create an all but separate market for iPads through sheer demand. Given that tablets have been around for 20 years in one form or another, did Apple's success in 2010 prove there was demand for tablets, or just iPads?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #93 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

By that logic, OSX isn't innovative because they don't sell as well as Windows?

No, it's not just about the sales numbers. WIndows ripped off OS X. Windows will always have a greater market share than OS X, but OS X is doing quite fine. Apple is not going to be blowing anything out the door in any fire sales anytime soon.

And the non-iPad tablets are not pieces of crap simply because of the sales numbers. They're pieces of crap because they actually are pieces of crap.

There really is no tablet market, and the figures in this thread proves it. The other companies should just pack it in, and call it a day. They're wasting their time and money.
post #94 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Snip... Competition yields innovation and better products.

When someone says that competion is good, you know the competition is bad. If the best thing you can say about the competition is that the fundamental forces of the market are still in play, that's pretty damning. Although I appreciate the hope it expresses.
post #95 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No, it's not just about the sales numbers. WIndows ripped off OS X. Windows will always have a greater market share than OS X, but OS X is doing quite fine. Apple is not going to be blowing anything out the door in any fire sales anytime soon.

And the non-iPad tablets are not pieces of crap simply because of the sales numbers. They're pieces of crap because they actually are pieces of crap.

There really is no tablet market, and the figures in this thread proves it. The other companies should just pack it in, and call it a day. They're wasting their time and money.

It's the price. I mean, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is great but why would I get that when I can get teh more established iPad?


The reason why people got the HP touchpad is because of VALUE. It suddenly became a great product overnight because of the price. The problem with many tablets is fragmentation. I know I can get 2+ years out of an iPad. Can't say that about 'droid tabletos. Anyone remeber the orignal Samsung Galaxy Tab a year ago? Now look, it's so outdated it's ridiculous.

$199 is good for non apple. They need to apply the same logic from Android phones to Android tablets.

They are wasting their time because they are playing catch up and want easy money. Microsoft can be a real contender because, oh, it actually runs an OS and interacts with other wordly Microsoft products. If they make a Windows 8 tablet where you can your Xbox games a la On Live...we have a winner.
post #96 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


$199 is good for non apple. They need to apply the same logic from Android phones to Android tablets.

A good tablet costs more than $200 to make and they're not subsidized like the phones are, so yeah, I can see why they're running into problems.

And people aren't just buying a tablet solely based on what hardware the tablet provides. They're buying into a whole eco-system, and Apple has that covered pretty well.
post #97 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A good tablet costs more than $200 to make and they're not subsidized like the phones are, so yeah, I can see why they're running into problems.

And people aren't just buying a tablet solely based on what hardware the tablet provides. They're buying into a whole eco-system, and Apple has that covered pretty well.

Eco system does play a factor, but I think (despite what the industry was saying at the time) the fact that you can have all of yoru apps on your iPad meant you don't have to worry about transitioning.

Also, I HATE the Android tablets as they are much too limiting. You have that dang task bar everywhere and it's not like theres a home button.

When you look at it though, it was the apps that made iPad. Intially peple didn't see the difference between that and the iPhone, but it has expanded so much. Android....not so much.
post #98 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Oh, does it really?

So far there is the iPad, which reigns supreme and there have been countless other tablets, which are all pieces of crap and nobody is interested in buying them, because they're inferior and cheap knockoffs. Not a whole lot of innovation taking place.

It took a couple years for competitors to catch up with the iPhone in terms of design, features and abilities, and in some ways, have surpassed the iPhone. Windows Phone is a completely new OS that's different not for the sake of being different, but because it actually does present a nicer experience in many instances, like the People hub, which integrates the activity of your friends across many different services into one simple UI. Android has created an explosion of hardware across different carriers and price points worldwide, each with their own pros and cons. They have also made possible the use of new generation networks like WiMax and LTE, which currently only have Android handsets running on them. At well over 500,000 activations per day, *someone* is buying these things, and not because they're "cheap knockoffs."

Competitors are still figuring out the tablet market. As usual, Apple has gained a major head start with a groundbreaking product, but they never stay that way forever, nor do they need to in order to be successful. Competition from the Kindle Fire won't be enough to impact iPad sales, but it does create an opportunity for people who would like to get started in the second digital revolution without investing too much up-front. If enough devices and manufacturers manage to drive consumer demand up and prices down, Apple will need to adjust their pricing accordingly. Everyone wins, especially Apple users.

So yes, competition is *always* good. It doesn't mean it's always successful, but you don't want a single company dominating any market for too long. I can promise you that Apple wouldn't have worked so hard and invested so much into iCloud and iOS if they didn't feel the heat from Android and other competitors to stay ahead of the pact.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #99 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

When someone says that competion is good, you know the competition is bad. If the best thing you can say about the competition is that the fundamental forces of the market are still in play, that's pretty damning. Although I appreciate the hope it expresses.

You don't think that there's competition in the phone space, that Android isn't an important force powering the mobile industry and, yes, even Apple? Look at Microsoft - they've done it, they've won. They *own* the desktop and notebook platform. So why is it they're working so hard to make Windows Phone and Windows 8 feature-rich and consumer-friendly, going so far as to uproot the entire Windows paradigm that's served them well for over 20 years? Competition from mobile devices, including the iPad, is helping to shape the PC into a better product for everyone. You can turn it around and say competition from Android has fueled the Apple machine by providing not only end-to-end control over the experience on the device, but also to host your entire digital hub onto iCloud, a major game changer for the entire Mobile and PC industry.

How is that not a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A good tablet costs more than $200 to make and they're not subsidized like the phones are, so yeah, I can see why they're running into problems.

And people aren't just buying a tablet solely based on what hardware the tablet provides. They're buying into a whole eco-system, and Apple has that covered pretty well.

This is true, and that is why Android tablets up until now have all failed. Apple was more than capable of releasing a tablet PC years before the iPad was introduced. Hell, they've been working on it since 2005, before even the iPhone. They refused to release the product until it had a complete story behind it, with not only great hardware, but a fantastic eco-system of software and content to go with it. Google is learning their lesson, and beginning to get those pieces together (Movie rentals, TV shows, Music, Games, Apps, etc). Amazon took the Apple approach with their own device, tightly integrating all of their cloud services with it, and selling it at a price which will get them into as many hands as possible, especially those who want a tablet device to consume content on but find the iPad and most other tablets on the market too expensive or overkill. We'll see if that approach works.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #100 of 137
Remeber, Apple is not very good with head-to-head competition when they are no longer the front-runner. Apple is able to stay on top because they use the "Blue Ocean" strategy that Nintendo used with the Wii. They're not a marine, but Solid Snake.

That's a good business practice, but why is it that OSX hasn't taken over Windows yet? They create a new category and thrive in it. If Apple released a game console today, it would probaly fail. Heck, they might have some REAL competition in the TV business if it doesn't differntiate itself.

One Android tablets get cheap enough, Apple's going to be on another field.
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

One Android tablets get cheap enough, Apple's going to be on another field.

It's not even about that. You've always been able to buy a cheap Android tablet, it's just none of them have been any good, and I'm referring to the entire experience, not just the hardware. Once Android (and Windows) tablets complete that end-to-end experience of content and services, the one Apple is trying to complete themselves, then consumers will have a reason to pick up iPad alternatives. Early this year, every "iPad killer" tried to compete based on spec (cameras, displays, alternative UIs, etc), and every one of them failed. Specs alone are not enough to be a viable competitor in this growing market. You need to have the suite of services behind it that make the device worth while. That's what Amazon is doing with the Kindle Fire, spec-wise an inferior tablet to everything that has gone on sale this year, yet has a real shot at besting and out-classing every single Android tablet out there.

Just wait until Google and Microsoft begin to catch up not just on the OS side but on the cloud side as well. Things are going to get interesting over the next few years.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #102 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "default tablet choice," since most people I know are not asking themselves, "which tablet?" but "should I get an iPad or a new laptop?" Although lately, the Kindle Fire has people I know asking "Kindle or iPad?"

"Default" makes it sound like no thought was put into it, but any product that costs at least $499 requires some thought commitment--whether they stand in line or not--it's not a what the hell impulse buy.

I've always maintained that a tablet market exists, and it has going back to the days of Windows for Pen Computing and the Apple Newton. But Apple managed to create an all but separate market for iPads through sheer demand. Given that tablets have been around for 20 years in one form or another, did Apple's success in 2010 prove there was demand for tablets, or just iPads?

I won't argue about the meanings of words; not this time. sorry.
post #103 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

You don't think that there's competition in the phone space, that Android isn't an important force powering the mobile industry and, yes, even Apple? Look at Microsoft - they've done it, they've won. They *own* the desktop and notebook platform. So why is it they're working so hard to make Windows Phone and Windows 8 feature-rich and consumer-friendly, going so far as to uproot the entire Windows paradigm that's served them well for over 20 years? Competition from mobile devices, including the iPad, is helping to shape the PC into a better product for everyone. You can turn it around and say competition from Android has fueled the Apple machine by providing not only end-to-end control over the experience on the device, but also to host your entire digital hub onto iCloud, a major game changer for the entire Mobile and PC industry.

How is that not a good thing?



This is true, and that is why Android tablets up until now have all failed. Apple was more than capable of releasing a tablet PC years before the iPad was introduced. Hell, they've been working on it since 2005, before even the iPhone. They refused to release the product until it had a complete story behind it, with not only great hardware, but a fantastic eco-system of software and content to go with it. Google is learning their lesson, and beginning to get those pieces together (Movie rentals, TV shows, Music, Games, Apps, etc). Amazon took the Apple approach with their own device, tightly integrating all of their cloud services with it, and selling it at a price which will get them into as many hands as possible, especially those who want a tablet device to consume content on but find the iPad and most other tablets on the market too expensive or overkill. We'll see if that approach works.

I didn't say the concept of competition was a bad thing. I do think when people invoke that concept it's a sign that the actual current competition is bad.
post #104 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

It's not even about that. You've always been able to buy a cheap Android tablet, it's just none of them have been any good, and I'm referring to the entire experience, not just the hardware. Once Android (and Windows) tablets complete that end-to-end experience of content and services, the one Apple is trying to complete themselves, then consumers will have a reason to pick up iPad alternatives. Early this year, every "iPad killer" tried to compete based on spec (cameras, displays, alternative UIs, etc), and every one of them failed. Specs alone are not enough to be a viable competitor in this growing market. You need to have the suite of services behind it that make the device worth while. That's what Amazon is doing with the Kindle Fire, spec-wise an inferior tablet to everything that has gone on sale this year, yet has a real shot at besting and out-classing every single Android tablet out there.

Just wait until Google and Microsoft begin to catch up not just on the OS side but on the cloud side as well. Things are going to get interesting over the next few years.

Umm.....what good cheap Android tablets are out there? The ones at K-mart/Kohls? That COBY crap doesn't count! I'm talking about the fully fledge Honeycomb/ICS tablets. Have yet ot see one.
post #105 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I've always maintained that a tablet market exists, and it has going back to the days of Windows for Pen Computing and the Apple Newton. But Apple managed to create an all but separate market for iPads through sheer demand. Given that tablets have been around for 20 years in one form or another, did Apple's success in 2010 prove there was demand for tablets, or just iPads?

I believe the success of the iPad proves there is a demand for a user-friendly touch screen device that provides an intimate and intuitive experience with your digital content in a way laptops and tablets of the past never did. So far, every company that has tried before Apple has failed, and until now there hasn't been a clear alternative. You do mention the Kindle Fire however, which definitely does fall into this new category which Apple has popularized. It's far from a perfect product, but it is the first to actually compete in the services area rather than the hardware alone.

So yes, the question may be "iPad or laptop," but in a few years I'm confident it will shape out the way smartphones eventually did with Google and Microsoft investing so much of their companies to maintain relevance in this new world. And I think they'll make it.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #106 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I didn't say the concept of competition was a bad thing. I do think when people invoke that concept it's a sign that the actual current competition is bad.

At present time, it seems only Apple makes money (and quite a lot) with tablets. One can hardly consider this is healthy competition, in the sense that everybody knows how this situation is going to end, in whatever market it is observed. If Apple competitors really want to compete, they will also have to find a way to also make money on this market ... or disappear ...
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Umm.....what good cheap Android tablets are out there? The ones at K-mart/Kohls? That COBY crap doesn't count! I'm talking about the fully fledge Honeycomb/ICS tablets. Have yet ot see one.

Read what I wrote. I already said "none of them have been any good" up to this point. For the most part, they're crap. You're arguing with me even though I already agreed with you.

I also said what are some of the requirements that make the iPad a great device, and Amazon is the first company to really address the services part of the tablet head first with the Kindle Fire. If you're on a quest for an inexpensive, but high-quality hardware feel to it, I would say start with the Fire and move up to the Nook Tablet that just came out. I'm not saying you'll find what you're looking for, but it *is* a start, and will only get better with time.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #108 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I believe the success of the iPad proves there is a demand for a user-friendly touch screen device that provides an intimate and intuitive experience with your digital content in a way laptops and tablets of the past never did. So far, every company that has tried before Apple has failed, and until now there hasn't been a clear alternative. You do mention the Kindle Fire however, which definitely does fall into this new category which Apple has popularized. It's far from a perfect product, but it is the first to actually compete in the services area rather than the hardware alone.

So yes, the question may be "iPad or laptop," but in a few years I'm confident it will shape out the way smartphones eventually did with Google and Microsoft investing so much of their companies to maintain relevance in this new world. And I think they'll make it.

Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox. Stellar and beyond with the 360.

These thigns take time. iPad is a new category all together, so companies are trying to figure out what they need to do to say 'hey, but your iPad can't do dis!". It's unfair to expect immediate oblivion of Apple from competition when this is something new that came out.

Lately Apple has been finding a lot of niches where they stand the standard....a VERY high standard at that. Like how now game has had higher review than Ocarina of Time (to this day). It's a matter of time. The true test for Apple will be what happens when the innovation slows and they start to just refine.....
post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Read what I wrote. I already said "none of them have been any good" up to this point. For the most part, they're crap. You're arguing with me even though I already agreed with you.

I also said what are some of the requirements that make the iPad a great device, and Amazon is the first company to really address the services part of the tablet head first with the Kindle Fire. If you're on a quest for an inexpensive, but high-quality hardware feel to it, I would say start with the Fire and move up to the Nook Tablet that just came out. I'm not saying you'll find what you're looking for, but it *is* a start, and will only get better with time.

Apperently the the HP touchpad was good enough. I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss. They have the cash reserves...
post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss.

Brilliant¡
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Apperently the the HP touchpad was good enough. I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss. They have the cash reserves...

Why doesn't Apple sell the iPad for $50 at a loss? They have more cash reserves than anybody.

Don't worry, I'm aware you're just trollin,' bro
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
post #112 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Brilliant¡

It's HP's final gift to the world.......
post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

It's HP's final gift to the world.......

I have a recommendation for your final gift to the world but I think it may break the forum rules.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #114 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Why doesn't Apple sell the iPad for $50 at a loss? They have more cash reserves than anybody.

Don't worry, I'm aware you're just trollin,' bro

Apple and HP are two totally different companies. Apple isn't struggling like HP. HP's probaly going to get rid of their consumer business anyways.

You are trying to make something what it isn't. You obviously lack the knowlege that businesses do things differently. Nintendo makes a profit on their consoles, SONY loses. Apparently SONY is trolling too.

How am I a troll exactly? I find if funny how on this site if anybody disagrees with Apple, they are a troll? I didn't know stating an opinion was trollling.
post #115 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox. Stellar and beyond with the 360.

These thigns take time. iPad is a new category all together, so companies are trying to figure out what they need to do to say 'hey, but your iPad can't do dis!". It's unfair to expect immediate oblivion of Apple from competition when this is something new that came out.

Lately Apple has been finding a lot of niches where they stand the standard....a VERY high standard at that. Like how now game has had higher review than Ocarina of Time (to this day). It's a matter of time. The true test for Apple will be what happens when the innovation slows and they start to just refine.....

And competitors all thought Flash compatibility would be the one thing that would sink the iPad... Back to the drawing board.

What only some of you have touched on is the fact that Apple didn't just hit one out of the ballpark with the iPad; they reset what people should expect from a tablet and the tablet experience. If competitors manage to ever control that, then Apple might lose the market, but as long as Apple sets popular expectations, they'll stay one step ahead.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #116 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have a recommendation for your final gift to the world but I think it may break the forum rules.

So then why even post what you did? What are you trying to prove? If you're not going ot post it, then it is irrelvant to post what you would have-otherwise you could be inciting a flame war.
post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

<...>

Just wait until Google and Microsoft begin to catch up not just on the OS side but on the cloud side as well. Things are going to get interesting over the next few years.

Like many others, I did not wait, and bought an iPad....

It remembers me the ancient times where the IBM marketing was powerful enough to prevent companies from buying competitors products, based on vague promises of brilliant IBM products to come. This time is over .. insanely great products on one side , promises , or lousy products, on the other side ...

Like someone already here said, the teenagers have a very good understanding of this situation : they want an iPad, nothing else (no, I am no longer a teenager ...)
post #118 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And competitors all thought Flash compatibility would be the one thing that would sink the iPad... Back to the drawing board.

What only some of you have touched on is the fact that Apple didn't just hit one out of the ballpark with the iPad; they reset what people should expect from a tablet and the tablet experience. If competitors manage to ever control that, then Apple might lose the market, but as long as Apple sets popular expectations, they'll stay one step ahead.

Which is why Apple has to keep innovating. Hopefully their TV market comes to fruit (and Samsung goesn't sue them for teh rectangles).

Apple's recent history in the last 10 years is to innovate and jump to the next project. Before you've become what Apple has, they have already become what you have not.
post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Like many others, I did not wait, and bought an iPad....

It remembers me the ancient times where the IBM marketing was powerful enough to prevent companies from buying competitors products, based on vague promises of brilliant IBM products to come. This time is over .. insanely great products on one side , promises , or lousy products, on the other side ...

Like someone already here said, the teenagers have a very good understanding of this situation : they want an iPad, nothing else (no, I am no longer a teenager ...)

Could of sworn Modern Warefare 3 was on dat dere list.....
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Apple and HP are two totally different companies. Apple isn't struggling like HP. HP's probaly going to get rid of their consumer business anyways.

You are trying to make something what it isn't. You obviously lack the knowlege that businesses do things differently. Nintendo makes a profit on their consoles, SONY loses. Apparently SONY is trolling too.

How am I a troll exactly? I find if funny how on this site if anybody disagrees with Apple, they are a troll? I didn't know stating an opinion was trollling.

Dude, read back my posts *again.* I'm like the only one in this thread in defense of iPad alternatives and competition in this space. If you want to talk about business, then explain to me how selling an HP Touchpad at such a severe loss (~$200 per device) is beneficial to the company? The Logitec Revue, now selling at a similar $200 loss, was quoted as being a huge financial mistake for the company and has scared them for years to come.

That isn't to say a product can't be a loss leader in order to be successful to the bottom line. Microsoft sells the Xbox at a loss, but they hope to create a halo effect (no pun intended) that will drive people towards Microsoft products and services, like Xbox Live and Windows Phones. They're building Xbox Live integration into Windows 8, and are using the Xbox to help build that end-to-end ecosystem that everyone's talking about. The Xbox has a strategy.

HP's strategy with the Touchpad was to build WebOS across all of their devices, and create that same experience. When HP blew up, that dream was killed, and the Touchpad serves no purpose anymore. No company can operate at a loss that high, which is why the Touchpad went away forever.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP leads all 1.2M non-Apple tablets sold in US in 2011