or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters - Page 6

post #201 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S

Huge disappointment. I had mine for about 4 days before I realized that the camera wasn't that much better than my 4, and talking to my phone was fun until I ran out of funny questions to ask. Sent it back, got a rebate. Saving my upgrade for the 5.

Now for my mom, who has been using a 3G with a scratched screen for 2 years, it was a good upgrade.
post #202 of 272
Even though this Samsung ad won't be very effective, Apple should strike back, mostly for the satisfaction of people like me and Mac fans, not really for advertising purposes or anything like that.

Apple and Samsung are already at war with each other, with all of the lawsuits etc.

It's time to go thermonuclear!

I would like to see an Apple ad destroying Fandroids!

Apple should show poor losers, homeless bums and other unfortunate people who end up buying Android phones simply because that's all they can afford.

Apple should also show some pimple faced geek sitting at home in their basement rooting their phone, while the Apple users are actually doing useful stuff with their devices.

Apple should also make the commercial extremely jerky, using only 10 or 15 FPS, to mimic the lag and choppiness of Android.

Apple should insult all Fandroids and tell them exactly how much they suck. Apple should mock everything that is bad with Android and the commercial should be at least 10 times more insulting than the Samsung commercial. Apple doesn't need any Fandroid customers. Apple should ensure that Fandroids will never buy any Apple products.

If I were in charge of advertising at Apple, I would ensure that many, many people would be deeply insulted and I would ensure that they would hate Apple even more than they already do.
post #203 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The only Samsung displays of high end quality are the very expensive ones costing thousands of dollars. Samsung only makes its high end displays. The low end one's are outsourced to various companies even for the same models and the build quality varies. The only company that makes high quality displays at the moderate level is Sharp. This is because 1) the company is the oldest company making such displays, and 2) actually manufactures all its own displays so the quality is consistent. It also adds a fourth pixel, which makes the picture sharper (no pun intended). Don't take my word for it, go to a place like Sears were you have Sharp, Samsung, Sony, and LG all next to one another. The difference is obvious and there is no comparison when viewing sets normally priced under two grand. You have to be careful here though as well because it is common for companies like Samsung to ship display model TVs built with a display it manufactured, but then sell the same model TV with displays outsourced from a third party where the quality is not nearly as good. The Internet is full of resources complaining about Samsung's practice there.

Moreover, most of Samsung's displays are average quality. This wasn't so much the case a couple of years ago, but is true now. Go to any legitimate review site, and it will essentially tell you the same thing. In my view, where Samsung excels is with Smart Apps. It's experience with Smart Phones seems to be carrying over to making better Smart applications for Tvs. I, however, would prefer a better screen and I can settle for gaining application access through a device like an X-Box 360 or an Apple TV.

Samsung's phones are largely made out of cheaper material. You can't honestly put a Samsung phone in your hand, and an iPhone in your hand and tell me Samsung's build quality is on par with Apple's (unless we are talking about the first iPhone). Apple uses high quality metals and glass. Samsung mostly uses plastic, and sometimes a metal trim. My co-worker snapped her cheap Samsung made Nexus phone battery cover trying to take the battery out to reboot the frozen phone.

Samsung is not as bad as Motorola though. Every product I have ever owned of Motorola's has broken within a year. That stinks when you are on a two year contract. There is a 3GS going on 3 years of use in my family. Moreover, I can still sell the phone for about what I paid for it on contract.

One of the most informed posts I've read so far. Very insightful!

I love Samsung, but you are right under a certain pricepoint. I didn't know it was outsourced. I have a Panasonic ST30 series. B belive their TVs (even the lower end ST like mine) share the same panels as the upper series. It's so much in fact that even CNET said the differences are "largely a wash".

People seem to give Samsung a harder tiem than Motorola though, in every review. Not sure why.

Lol, I noticed that with my Vibrant since getting the 4S! I do feel the "plasticyness" versus the metal/glass/solidness of the iPhone 4S. I thought many reviewers were biased against Samsung, but there is no way a $700 phone should feel like that.
post #204 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Even though this Samsung ad won't be very effective, Apple should strike back, mostly for the satisfaction of people like me and Mac fans, not really for advertising purposes or anything like that.

There are two ways to look at this ad.
  1. It's trying to convince iPhone buyers to buy Samsung.
  2. It's trying to convince non-iPhone buyers to buy Samsung.

The first is a failure, but the second looks very successful. I don't think Samsung made this ad with any intention of pulling away Apple fans, I think its just about their primary target, being the most successful Android-based vendor.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #205 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Jeez, will people stop responding to obvious trolls? Anyone claiming that the 4S is an utter failure or disaster after the initial massive launch sales is a freaking obvious troll. I don't care if you actually have a real beef with the 4S or Apple. Only an obvious troll would STILL call it a disaster.

If there's any freaking doubt just look at his other flamebait postings.

OMFG people, just adding trolls to the ignore list is annoying enough without multiple reposts via quotes.

linkgx1 may or may not be an obvious troll but his sig and 520 posts since a join date of October 2011 and the questionable bs on this thread earned him a quick addition to my ignore list. This place is still infested by trolling and frankly I ignore pretty damn quick these days. The S/N ratio sucks otherwise. I'm sure that while the mods are pretty quick to slap anantksundaram with an infraction point (for saying shut up? really?), anthropic will escape the ban hammer for months.

And no dude, Samsung doesn't have $343B as TBell pointed out. That's total assets not cash.

For 09 their total assets were $294B with $182B in total liabilities. And that's for the entire Samsung group...including the all the subsidiaries like the ones that make oil rigs. Samsung Electronics is about $124B worth of total assets with about $44B worth of total liabilities.

Apple couldn't actually afford to buy Samsung (Group or Electronics) but it sure would be funny to see an Apple branded oil rig made by Apple Heavy Industries. Or a big assed LNG tanker.

iTanker...coming to an Apple store near you.

Amusingly you can also factually state that Samsung is building Utopia...

I'm pretty sure if I were a troll, I would be banned. It's clearly against the rules. Of course, if anyone states their opinion and opposes Apple here, they are automatically a troll.

You don't have to announce that you are adding someone to your ingore list, just do it. Announcing it can start a flame war and eventually get you banned. I have added people to my ignore list, but I don't announce it to the world. I don't get why people feel like they have to call someone out to say they are going to put them on an ingore list. Join date has no relevance to the topic at hand. I'm not even sure what point you are trying to prove.
post #206 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

A lot of you here have an odd definition of trolling.

This is what I try to understand here. Theoretically, all the articles from AI is "trolling" since the language used in the post is tailored to get people to talk.

If I have the wrong information, then post what is right. Give me a chance to respond. I mean, I certainly haven't went in said "YOURE WRONG. SAMSUNG HAS INFINITY DOLLARS". That would have been trolling. I just ignored it.

I've seen some very well informed posters here (much more informed to me/older) that get called trolls, even with statements to back it up. I remeber a particular user here got mad at me because I said that some of the iPhone 4 cases MIGHT NOT fit the 4S. He got mad and went off on me for a few pages. I presnted evidence of it, but was still wrong somehow.
post #207 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The first is a failure, but the second looks very successful. I don't think Samsung made this ad with any intention of pulling away Apple fans, I think its just about their primary target, being the most successful Android-based vendor.

Yeah, it's not going to get any Apple users to switch over, but I have doubts as to how successful it will be in getting first time users to switch over.

The average person buying an Android phone is not buying any high end phones. The average person buying an Android phone is going for the cheap and free models. That's the main Android customer right there.

I think that the main thing that the ad accomplishes is to give Fandroids a laugh. Fandroids are already in the Android eco-system, so I don't really think this ad will do much.
post #208 of 272
Quote:

By your logic Twilight is better than Fight Club.

Just sayin.

The 4th movie is gonna have some pretty aggresive sex. I'd say so.
post #209 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Of course, if anyone states their opinion and opposes Apple here, they are automatically a troll.

There are a few people here, and I'm not going to mention any names, who always oppose Apple, no matter what the subject or topic is. These people are trolls and losers and they have no business on this forum, IMO.

Somebody has to be a real loser to constantly visit an Apple forum to take digs at Apple. It's pretty obvious that I think that Android sucks, I've probably mentioned that few times before. However, I would never imagine visiting any Android forums to bash Android. That would be a real loser activity.
post #210 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In an Apple store they have headphones plugged into iPhones and iPods that you can listen to, you can unplug them and plug them into your own phone, any phone with a 3.5mm socket.

The sound from the Galaxy 2 line is pitiful.

Reviews agree.

Source

Source

My ears don't belong to GSM Arena.

I hope you know reviews are subjective and aren't to be taken as fact. Most people think Superman 64 is the worst game ever. There is one person that think it's the greatest thing to grace the earth.
post #211 of 272
Quote:

Yeah, it's not going to get any Apple users to switch over, but I have doubts as to how successful it will be in getting first time users to switch over.

The average person buying an Android phone is not buying any high end phones. The average person buying an Android phone is going for the cheap and free models. That's the main Android customer right there.

I think that the main thing that the ad accomplishes is to give Fandroids a laugh. Fandroids are already in the Android eco-system, so I don't really think this ad will do much.

I understand your point. Most Android phones sold are the cheaper model, but there are still plenty of high-end Android-based smartphones being sold and Samsung needs to grab them before their Android using competitors do.

PS: An Apple ad to reply to this would a long line at a carrier's store for people returning their Android phones.

post #212 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can just see the rebellion of the legions of Baristas. I'm selling buttons "I'm a Barista and I have an iPhone!" Maybe they shouldn't have insulted an occupation that has direct personal daily contact with a huge portion of the population.

In other news Starbucks offers grief counseling for employees.

I do think it was the wrong execution, but that's Starbucks mentality. Basically, Samsung is playing satire on people who "think they are important becasue they own a certain product, but they have low paying jobs". These are so called 'experts' on things that enjoy 'superior' products but have a minimum wage job and should be in no position to determine that.
post #213 of 272
Quote:

I understand your point. Most Android phones sold are the cheaper model, but there are still plenty of high-end Android-based smartphones being sold and Samsung needs to grab them before their Android using competitors do.

PS: An Apple ad to reply to this would a long line at a carrier's store for people returning their Android phones.

I agree with you. With so many Android phones available, it must be a tough job for a manufacturer to get customers to choose their phone over the hundreds of other Android phones that have been released. It's hard to stand out from the crowd when there is so much available and there's always a new, next greatest phone right around the corner.

Quote:

I like that idea. That would make for a good and funny ad.
post #214 of 272
Quote:

There are a few people here, and I'm not going to mention any names, who always oppose Apple, no matter what the subject or topic is. These people are trolls and losers and they have no business on this forum, IMO.

Somebody has to be a real loser to constantly visit an Apple forum to take digs at Apple. It's pretty obvious that I think that Android sucks, I've probably mentioned that few times before. However, I would never imagine visiting any Android forums to bash Android. That would be a real loser activity.

Got some Apple fanoboys over dere on Android Forums. But it is more or less brand name wars over there. HTC fanboys think they are oh so superior to Samsung....with their stupid Sense UI.
post #215 of 272
People saying stuff about "why should I choose Samsung over..".

That's the point Samsung is trying ot make. Samsung competes against HTC....and their beats audios. Also Motorola trying to revivie a dead star *cough RAZR cough*.

The problem with Android is that Google doesn't actually control the software. Samsung is doing VERY well with the Galaxy SII considering others are taking a chunk of the pie. iOS is only on Apple products/iPhone. I'm pretty sure if Apple decided to let HTC get in on the iOS action, their sales of the iPhone would decline.

iEVO 4G TOUCH TO THE MAX.
post #216 of 272
It's a really great strategy to show people just how many people are willing to wait in a line for hours for a new iPhone.
post #217 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It's a really great strategy to show people just how many people are willing to wait in a line for hours for a new iPhone.

Your post in ambigiously unbiased. But great for who?
post #218 of 272
Quote:

Apple and Samsung are already at war with each other, with all of the lawsuits etc.

Apple should show poor losers, homeless bums and other unfortunate people who end up buying Android phones simply because that's all they can afford.

Apple should also show some pimple faced geek sitting at home in their basement rooting their phone, while the Apple users are actually doing useful stuff with their devices.

Apple should also make the commercial extremely jerky, using only 10 or 15 FPS, to mimic the lag and choppiness of Android.

Apple should insult all Fandroids and tell them exactly how much they suck. Apple should mock everything that is bad with Android and the commercial should be at least 10 times more insulting than the Samsung commercial. Apple doesn't need any Fandroid customers. Apple should ensure that Fandroids will never buy any Apple products.

If I were in charge of advertising at Apple, I would ensure that many, many people would be deeply insulted and I would ensure that they would hate Apple even more than they already do.

Waiting for the outcry people...since insults and all that are something you seem to hate.

or will hypocrisy reign?
post #219 of 272
Quote:

dude...you're a troll.

and very few of the "trolls" here have ever bashed Apple.

Like I haven't...not once...yet I'm a troll...somehow...because I'm not 100% pro-Apple.

Also big way to get rid of the Android people here...STOP POSTING ARTICLES ABOUT ANDROID THAT HAVE LITTLE TO NOTHING TO DO WITH APPLE AND ONLY SERVE THE PURPOSE OF MISINFORMATION AND CIRCLE JERKERY.

Also...stop being a dick.
post #220 of 272
Quote:

Eh...an Apple ad to reply to this would be to not reply and keep doing what they're doing which has worked so well for a while now.
post #221 of 272
Quote:

dude...you're a troll.

and very few of the "trolls" here have ever bashed Apple.

Like I haven't...not once...yet I'm a troll...somehow...because I'm not 100% pro-Apple.

Also big way to get rid of the Android people here...STOP POSTING ARTICLES ABOUT ANDROID THAT HAVE LITTLE TO NOTHING TO DO WITH APPLE AND ONLY SERVE THE PURPOSE OF MISINFORMATION AND CIRCLE JERKERY.

People having an opinion on here not pro-Apple is a troll. I'm just critical of companies, not because of the company, but their practices.
post #222 of 272
Quote:

HTC fanboys think they are oh so superior to Samsung....with their stupid Sense UI.

I should go over there and settle that argument pretty quickly, by being an impartial judge and jury and telling them that they both suck.
post #223 of 272
Quote:

I am at least a pro-Apple dick. I don't mind being that.

It's sure better than being a Fandroid.
post #224 of 272
Quote:

dude...

You are killing the hard work I put into my ignore list by quoting him so much
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #225 of 272
Quote:

I am at least a pro-Apple dick. I don't mind being that.

It's sure better than being a Fandroid.

Hm... I've never met a phallic person before. I'd image (no offense) that would be rather disturbing to look at, but would still like to meet. You any where near Missouri?
post #226 of 272
Quote:

You any where near Missouri?

Nope, I'm not anywhere close to Missouri. I live in the city that douchebag terrorists have a hard on for.
post #227 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

GIGO. The truth in all of life.

Mmm... Your sig made me think...

GIGO... Garbage In Google Out...

Did I get that right?

something like that
post #228 of 272
Quote:

Nope, I'm not anywhere close to Missouri. I live in the city that douchebag terrorists have a hard on for.

Canada?

or

Detroit?
post #229 of 272
Quote:

Canada?

or

Detroit?

Nobody cares about Canada. Who's going to attack Canada?

And Detroit doesn't need to be attacked by any terrorists. That city already looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb.
post #230 of 272
Quote:

Nobody cares about Canada. Who's going to attack Canada?

And Detroit doesn't need to be attacked by any terrorists. That city already looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb.

How'd I know you would say that? That's why I posted it! Spot on!
post #231 of 272
The only part of the ad I take issue with is the waiting in line part. My house is full of Apple products, if it's got an "i" or a "Mac" in its name, I probably have several of them. And I'm almost always an early adopter too. I have never, however, waited in line for an Apple product. I have always been able to walk right in and buy whatever I wanted in the first week of release, including my wife's iPhone 4S.
post #232 of 272
Quote:

Keep it up. You're making Samsung's point for them.
post #233 of 272
Quote:

how?
addition: yea...nothing contradictory there.

How would you describe the people in the line, checking forums for updates on a new release that they are camping out in order to get it as soon as possible?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #234 of 272
Ice Cream Sandwich > iOS

Samsung makes state of the are devices that are built TO BE DROPPED... and survive

Galaxy Nexus SuperAmoled HD screen > Retina

Samsung's commercial is brilliant.

With the 4S and ios5, it feels like Apple is slipping...
post #235 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Ice Cream Sandwich > iOS

Samsung makes state of the are devices that are built TO BE DROPPED... and survive

Galaxy Nexus SuperAmoled HD screen > Retina

Samsung's commercial is brilliant.

With the 4S, it feels like Apple is slipping...

Be prepared to get it from iFans.
post #236 of 272
Quote:

Be prepared to get it from iFans.

The thread is basically over but yeah, It's expected..

Apple has to overhaul iOS in a major way, not just adopt features from others going forward.
post #237 of 272
Quote:

Apple has to overhaul iOS in a major way, not just adopt features from others going forward.

Why? n

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #238 of 272
Quote:

The thread is basically over but yeah, It's expected..

Whacha mean by overahaul iOS? They might scare customers away. Being more "open" is one thing, but I"m not exactly sure what you are getting at.........
post #239 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? n

I swear everytime I see your name, I read Tal'Set.
post #240 of 272
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters