or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters - Page 2

post #41 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

dude.. lay off the glue.
post #42 of 272
Good ad. That's what a good ad agency can do for you.
post #43 of 272
Good ad.

Just because it's anti-Apple doesn't make it automatically bad.
post #44 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They had fun and Microsofts expense on the "I"m a Mac" commercials but if I remember correctly they typically covered things like "yes office runs on a Mac" or shed light on the absence of virus on the platform. There was a message behind the humor. Making fun of people in line waiting for a product says what?

It shows the ridiculousness of waiting for a phone that will be obselete in a few years. You must not know there's a market for people who are opposed ot that. Some people just want to get a phone. That's the message their trying to send. What don't you get about that?I don't think Samsung's adds were funny nor very informative as plenty of phones have a huge screen and 4G. Why exactly should I buy a Samsung over any other model? They couldn't answer that.

Should they have to? By that logic, why should I get an iPhone?
Go pull the sales numbers for the iPad before you start calling "magical and revolutionary" a mythical concept. I'm afraid the data supports that the iPad "is" a bit of a revolution.
It's not magical. You act like Android is depened on whimiscal concepts, but where's your evidence? Sales numbers doesn't make something magical. Yes having a huge screen is popular for Apple fans as well which is why many of us bought iPads rather than some tweener (too big to be comfy phone to small to be a tablet)

That's a red herring. Your solution to getting a bigger screen is to get another device? Why can't I just play on my TV (Airplay?) and skip all together? Again, it's a need that's being filled. The iPad is NOT a phone.

I'm for choice though and I wouldn't mind seeing a 4" iPhone but I think few people really want to see a 4.5" iPhone or larger.
And Samsung doesn't just have a 4.5'' phone. They also have 3.5'', 4'', 4.65'' phones.
Siri pretty much obviates my need for a larger keyboard as it's voice recognition is pretty damn fantastic for my needs.
I get a lot of Siri can't connect to server messages lately. But not everyone wants to use the voice, so again, you are trying to apply your experience universally. That can happen. A market that fits a need. Humans have unlimited wants.

post #45 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

dude.. lay off the glue.

It's scented markers. How many times to I 've to 'splain?
post #46 of 272
I'm an iPhone user and I thought the ad was pretty funny!
post #47 of 272
Sure, the Sammy looks good by itself. It's when you go to use it that it's lameness is revealed. That's why you won't see anyone standing in line for it.
post #48 of 272
So its a nice looking Phone. I guess if I wasn't a Macintosh user I might have bought that phone. But since I am a Macintosh user I like how my iPhone 4 syncs with my Mac Pro. I like how I have some features that are solely Apple.

One thing about the ad is that Samsung is trying to make Apple users or iPhone wanters (as you may say) lame and stupid. They are depicted as lemmings blindly following Apple into the i device a bis. Insulting other people in an add just creates distaste and creates division. In my opinion we as a society don't need division. We should have tolerance for other technology and those who use it. Making some one look stupid because they are an apple user (dude your a barista) is wrong. If a friend of mine bought an android Phone I would not be critical of him for having one.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #49 of 272
At the end of the ad they put the GAYE looking (Korean?) dude, complete with a sweater tied around his neck a-la 1982 (lol), getting into his limo and nonchalantly exhorting "You should get a Samsung". Hahaha, man, how embarrassingly not tongue-in-cheek and dated.
After being exposed in multiple international courts as guilty of blatantly trying to copy everything from Apple, from the look and function of the software to the exterior design itself, they're now trying to win over Apple users by publicly mocking them? Wow, the stupidity and marketing sense of these guys is laughable.
Not to state the obvious, but I guess not many people wait in lines outside shops to buy their crud. There's probably a simple reason for this which goes something like: Samdung products exude the originality and quality of pablum-soaked K-pop, so Thanks but no thanks. Samsung, your desperation is showing.
post #50 of 272
Insulting and making fun of people is not a good way selling them your product.

Samsung could never get people to line up and get excited about their products so they decide to make fun of a company that brings excitement, loyalty, and culture to their products.
post #51 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8

Get A Mac ads were not attacking customers, they were attacking the product. You may think there is no difference between Samsung directly making fun of Apple customers waiting in line and an actor portraying a poorly engineered and constructed machine, but these ads are night and day.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Insulting other people in an add just creates distaste and creates division.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvloPFYocw
post #53 of 272
ha!

in other news...google axes seven products today. in previous news, android malware development on the rise.

gotta love that 'open source', altruistic google.
post #54 of 272
Wow... that was actually kind of funny, and I even watched it on an iPad.

To be truly brilliant it needs to be a campaign though, not just a one-off ad.

Just like Apple used the "I'm a Mac" campaign to try and enforce the stereotype that PC users are slow, out of touch and old Samsung could try and enforce the stereotype that Apple fanboys are self absorbed, douche-y hipsters.

That's going to appeal to their audience better than killer robots.
post #55 of 272
Have to admit the video's pretty funny. But even funnier would be one of Samsung Galaxy owners in a Verizon Store, because there is nothing funnier than three lines of ten people with smoke shooting out of their ears.
post #56 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

:It shows the ridiculousness of waiting for a phone that will be obselete in a few years. You must not know there's a market for people who are opposed ot that. Some people just want to get a phone. That's the message their trying to send. What don't you get about that?:


There's nothing to get about it. Passion isn't something you find ..it finds you. Fans passionate about Apple or Android will be there to guarantee their delivery of what they love. Samsung would have no objections to these lines if they were purchasing Galaxy phones which is why it's pointless for them to tease.


Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1

Should they have to? By that logic, why should I get an iPhone?It's not magical. You act like Android is depened on whimiscal concepts, but where's your evidence? Sales numbers doesn't make something magical.

Logic would likely follow the same path as statistics. Higher sales means that across a statistical groups "Device A" likely met the quotient of desired features than "Device B". Since opinions are your own and do not need to be substantiated through factual evidence you may opine about what is magical or revolutionary to the nth degree. However Samsung and plenty of other companies would love to deposit the cash that Apple is with the same frequency.


Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1

I get a lot of Siri can't connect to server messages lately. But not everyone wants to use the voice, so again, you are trying to apply your experience universally. That can happen. A market that fits a need. Humans have unlimited wants.

No that's why I was careful to put in "my needs". You could have a speech impediment that prevents accurate voice dictation. Siri is just another input modality that we have as an option. Apple TV is another method for streaming video content easily. Some will prefer a mini tablet in their pocket and some won't. Choice is good but I realize why Apple's sticking with 3.5 screens for now.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #57 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.
post #58 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sure, the Sammy looks good by itself. It's when you go to use it that it's lameness is revealed. That's why you won't see anyone standing in line for it.

Exactly.
post #59 of 272
Ummm .. does anyone here even know that what is being advertised as "4G" is a standard that has yet to be even ratified? Present versions of what is being advertised as "4G" uses something known as "HSPA+", which is actually part of "High-end 3G"? (Apple actually presented this fact when they introduced the 4S; They did not commit to using the "4G" reference, but did say that it uses HSPA+, and is 'as fast as anything else that is currently being sold'); Try looking at a device from AT&T Wireless on the Web. You will in fact see "4G*", and in reading the fine legal print at the bottom of the page which the * is a reference to, you will see the explanation that what is actually being used is a version of HSPA+, which technically, is not "4G".) Take a look at the last 5 paragraphs in the section "Requirements" in the article about 4G at Wikipedia. It will make you think (and also wonder how the entire industry has been able to claim that they are offering something for sale that is not even available yet; the standard is likely not to be ratified until about 2013) .. take a look at the last 5 paragraphs in the "Requirements" section, beginning with "Present Implementations of .. " here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Requirements

What this means, for the most part I think, is that any device being sold currently that is being touted as "4G", and whenever and whatever the "next iPhone (insert version number here)" delivers, unless it is introduced sometime well into 2013 .. it will not be a true "4G" device".
post #60 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

What this means, for the most part I think, is that any device being sold currently that is being touted as "4G", and whenever and whatever the "next (insert version number here) iPhone" delivers, unless it is introduced sometime well into 2013 .. it will not be a true "4G" device".

The current iPhone is 5G, as in the 5th generation iPhone. See what I did there? A cardinal number followed by the letter 'G' isn't a regulated standard so they can call it whatever the hell they want, they just can't say it's "4G as defined by the ITU-R".
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.

This is "your" opinion. So it is a failure to you and a disappointment to you. If Flash-Breezy likes his iPhone 4s that carries as much weight as your opinion. No amount of repeating the same thing over and over is going to change that.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 272
Well, not being able to get through a whole day without my battery dying on my iPhone 4S, I suspect Samsung can get a fair amount of mileage out of this bug in the 4S.

Steve Jobs is probably turning over in his grave with "battery-gate".
I was able to accept the loss in battery life going from my original iPhone to a 3GS. I was a bit miffed when iOS4 cut battery life down considerably (I wish there was an option to disable "multitasking" and restore the original battery life, as I rarely need the multitasking capabilities [I have an iPad for that kind of stuff]); however, I can't get through 3/4 of my day without the battery going dead on me. That's with bluetooth and wifi turned off, btw. Sometimes (clearly a software bug), my phone gets exceedingly warm and I can watch the battery level percent meter tick off the minutes.

Hope they have a fix for this before too long -- the phone isn't very practical if I can't get through a whole day without the battery going dead (and, no, I'm not on the phone all day long; I don't play games on it; I'm not listening to music or watching movies all day long; I'm just carrying it in my pocket and forgetting to kill every little app I use for a few seconds). And no, I'm not in a position to leave it on a charger throughout the day (nor have I with any of my past iPhones).

Yes, indeed, if I were Samsung, I'd be all over this one; and they're justified to do so.
post #63 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

There's nothing to get about it. Passion isn't something you find ..it finds you. Fans passionate about Apple or Android will be there to guarantee their delivery of what they love. Samsung would have no objections to these lines if they were purchasing Galaxy phones which is why it's pointless for them to tease.


But Samsung is trying to make itself look better. It may seem pointless, but they're trying to get attention of some sort. Granted, they DID pay people to stand in line for the Galaxy SII. It may seem silly, but there's always going ot be someone that feels 'superior' for not following the crowd. That same mentality made Apple what it is today. Yes, the commercials could be immature, but not for everyone. For every Mercedes lover, there is a BMW driver that makes fun of him (vice versa)

Logic would likely follow the same path as statistics. Higher sales means that across a statistical groups "Device A" likely met the quotient of desired features than "Device B". Since opinions are your own and do not need to be substantiated through factual evidence you may opine about what is magical or revolutionary to the nth degree. However Samsung and plenty of other companies would love to deposit the cash that Apple is with the same frequency.
But, again, you said ". Android commercials are largely mythical". What makes that a bad thing? Hot girls fighting robots are awesome. It caters to testostorone. It was affect as many people have improperly refered to Android as 'droid. But, again, that's Verizon's advertising. "Droid does what iDont". Android tries to get the people Apple doesn't.

So now the excuse for evidence is not needed, but you were just quoting how well Apple devices are selling?


No that's why I was careful to put in "my needs". You could have a speech impediment that prevents accurate voice dictation. Siri is just another input modality that we have as an option. Apple TV is another method for streaming video content easily. Some will prefer a mini tablet in their pocket and some won't. Choice is good but I realize why Apple's sticking with 3.5 screens for now.

I could agree, it I think it was the way it was written. Apple has a statisfied market for now. They try to satisfy the largest group and don't wanna muck it up. Can you imagine if Apple came out with their own version of the Streak? That would be terrible. I think Apple has a bell curve of sorts in their heads when releasing products. Too many people in the world have small heads......and you don't want a phone too big for it!

post #64 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

No, it is a failure, it's a real disappointment.

It's the first time Apple have released a new phone that isn't better than the competition. I view that as a massive failure.

For Apple to let Samsung leapfrog them to now have the best product in a market that Apple CREATED is a real shame, I've used an S2 lately and I much prefer the larger screen, still can't believe Apple didn't deliver a better product.

I got the 4S, coming from a Vibrant and I don't see a failure. Maybe I'm biased since there was no Infnity Blade on the Anroid Market.
post #65 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This is "your" opinion. So it is a failure to you and a disappointment to you. If Flash-Breezy likes his iPhone 4s that carries as much weight as your opinion. No amount of repeating the same thing over and over is going to change that.

The 1st iPhone had no 3G.
The 2nd had a display resolution that was slightly below the norm.
The 3rd was well below the norm.
The 4th was clearly smaller than the average Android phone.

Sounds like all the iPhones were utter failures.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 272
They woulda done better with the attena gate issue. I updated somone's 4S in my house and now they are mad at me because the battery life went down. But mine got better......

So it's not universal. And at least it was acknolege.




SAMSUNG YOU STILL DIDN'T FIX THE GPS ON MY VIBRANT. I REMEMBER THAT.
post #67 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Well, not being able to get through a whole day without my battery dying on my iPhone 4S, I suspect Samsung can get a fair amount of mileage out of this bug in the 4S.

Steve Jobs is probably turning over in his grave with "battery-gate".
I was able to accept the loss in battery life going from my original iPhone to a 3GS. I was a bit miffed when iOS4 cut battery life down considerably (I wish there was an option to disable "multitasking" and restore the original battery life, as I rarely need the multitasking capabilities [I have an iPad for that kind of stuff]); however, I can't get through 3/4 of my day without the battery going dead on me. That's with bluetooth and wifi turned off, btw. Sometimes (clearly a software bug), my phone gets exceedingly warm and I can watch the battery level percent meter tick off the minutes.

Hope they have a fix for this before too long -- the phone isn't very practical if I can't get through a whole day without the battery going dead (and, no, I'm not on the phone all day long; I don't play games on it; I'm not listening to music or watching movies all day long; I'm just carrying it in my pocket and forgetting to kill every little app I use for a few seconds). And no, I'm not in a position to leave it on a charger throughout the day (nor have I with any of my past iPhones).

Yes, indeed, if I were Samsung, I'd be all over this one; and they're justified to do so.


The battery getting warm and draining is often a symptom of a stuck or rogue process running in background. This could be in your backup so you may want to backup...erase and restore and set up the iPhone as a new phone. You'll know in a couple of days if the issue is software in your backup or the phone software itself.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #68 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

And North Korea as it is is worth about four dollars and sixty two cents.
post #69 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

and north korea as it is is worth about four dollars and sixty two cents.

omg, i'm buying my own country yall.
post #70 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

"I could never get a Samsung. I'm creative," said one man. "Dude, you're a barista," his friend retorted.

Lolz. Though that might be offensive if you work at STAWBUCKS!

I think any ad that makes fun of iSheep (in all but name) is doomed to backfire on the idiots who came up with it. It won't convert anyone to Samsung's iClones, and will only pander to existing Fandroids.

As for battery life issues, I'm not having any problems with my iPhone 4 running 4.3.5
But then again, when Apple patches 5.0.2(or 3), it'll be a thing of the past, just like Antennagate was effectively deflated with iOS 4.0.1.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #71 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think any ad that makes fun of iSheep (in all but name) is doomed to backfire on the idiots who came up with it. It won't convert anyone to Samsung's iClones, and will only pander to existing Fandroids.

As for battery life issues, I'm not having any problems with my iPhone 4 running 4.3.5
But then again, when Apple patches 5.0.2(or 3), it'll be a thing of the past, just like Antennagate was effectively deflated with iOS 4.0.1.

I think it's going to put a negative taste in a lot of people's mouths. Kind of tastless if you ask me. But it is a free market...
post #72 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

What are you tripping on?

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...-ask-siri.html
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #73 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The 1st iPhone had no 3G.
The 2nd had a display resolution that was slightly below the norm.
The 3rd was well below the norm.
The 4th was clearly smaller than the average Android phone.

Sounds like all the iPhones were utter failures.

They were utter failures. I mean, who would line up to buy a $600 phone without 3G?

Hint: ME

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #74 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They were utter failures. I mean, who would line up to buy a $600 phone without 3G?

Hint: ME

Udder failures.
post #75 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

SUPERAMOLED calls your name.


Of course, though, you'll be without updates for a bit. *looks at my Vibrant*

I don't like my blacks crushed nor my colours over-saturated. So, no thanks.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #76 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I don't like my blacks crushed nor my colours over-saturated. So, no thanks.

They blend in with the bezel. We're talking Pioneer Kuro levels baby!
post #77 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I don't like my blacks crushed nor my colours over-saturated. So, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

They blend in with the bezel. We're talking Pioneer Kuro levels baby!

As I said, no thanks.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #78 of 272
Samsung can only dream about having lines like that for their devices! They would be singing a different tune if the lines were for THEIR products.

Clearly, Samsung is just jealous.

I've tried a couple of Galaxy phones and they're nice enough and all, but I still prefer my iPhone.

I passed my iPhone 4 on to my daughter who's away at University. She's been using my original 3G for the last year and a half and was ready for an upgrade. Having used both the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S, the 4S only looks like the iPhone 4. The under-the-hood improvements make it a much improved device. I'm actually kind of glad that they did't change it cosmetically, so it still works with my dock, speakers, clock radio etc.

That said, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen for my next iPhone.
post #79 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

As I said, no thanks.

*fast sennen is fast*

BUT THEY'RE BLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK


Though the whites look dingy. I'mma try to put some Clorox on my screen....you think that'll work?
post #80 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

...Apple has too much class for that. And they're smart enough to realize advertising the user experience from owning the product is more effective that insulting your potential customers.

Yeah, Apple would NEVER refer to the competition's customers as LEMMINGS...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters