or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters - Page 3

post #81 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't be a stupid shill.

Show me where it says Samsung has $343 billion.

If you can't, do us a favor, and please ....

Oh, get off your high horse, hmurchison. Please take the trouble to read what I wrote. You can go ahead and ban me too, for all I care. AI is becoming a bit of a joke anyway, catering to these Samsung trolls in droves. I have no doubt that you guys like the clicks, therefore the eyeballs, therefore the ad revenue. But you may wish to worry about your authenticity.

Whoa, due, calm down......it's just appleinsider. Not that I disagree with what you said...but it's alright. I have some propofol to calm you down. It'll be all right.
post #82 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post

Yeah, Apple would NEVER refer to the competition's customers as LEMMINGS...

I love that game!
post #83 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

What are you tripping on?

Fandroids are probably going to say the ad is spot on regarding their own attitude and bias towards Apple.

It vaguely reminds me of the first Xoom ad that also evoked the iSheep myth. (P.S., It's funny to watch that lame ad: it appears the only thing the Xoom could do was that 3D google maps trick; it's not like it could run a bazillion apps like Garageband or iMovie or Keynote.)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #84 of 272
So, not only Samsung ripped-off iPhone and got in trouble over it, they're now making ads stating it's better than iPhone.
Apple had me at scrolling
post #85 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fandroids are probably going to say the ad is spot on regarding their own attitude and bias towards Apple.

It vaguely reminds me of the first Xoom ad that also evoked the iSheep myth. (P.S., It's funny to watch that lame ad: it appears the only thing the Xoom could do was that 3D google maps trick; it's not like it could run a bazillion apps like Garageband or iMovie or Keynote.)

I smite the Xoom and all of it's makers. Overpriced garbage. To think this is the same phone company that made the RAZR/KRZR.
post #86 of 272
It sounds like a commercial made by children, For children. Most Android TV ads you cannot even tell what product they are selling who the company is until they flash the name at the end of the commercial.

"Come and get a Samsung phone. There is no waiting in line, because no one wants one"
post #87 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8

"Although the ad takes a new approach, Samsung is hardly the first brand to challenge Apples cult-like following. SanDisk bashed iPuppets and iSheep in 2006 when it took on the iPods dominance in the portable MP3 player category. More recently, Motorola attempted to one-up one of Apples proudest moment its legendary 1984″ Macintosh ad with a Super Bowl ad for the Xoom tablet"
http://mashable.com/2011/11/22/samsu...s-apple-mania/

And what happened after those marketing campaigns? Nothing. Those companies just lost some simple public respect with their "me too" "me better" "we want a cult too"
post #88 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

Shut the front door! You can't be serious? Do you bother to read any of the articles here or ANY tech site for that matter? If you did you would know that the iPhone 4s is THE BEST selling smart phone of all time, HARDLY A "DISASTER" as you put it. iPhone 4s is still an amazing phone, not to forget it is twice as fast and graphics are 7 times faster than the iPhone 4. If you game on the iPhone like me THAT IS FUDGING HUGE!!!

Sounds like to me you should get yourself a Samsung phone running a soon to be outdated version of Android (because you won't be able to upgrade an Android phone or you didn't know that?)
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
post #89 of 272
BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX
post #90 of 272
Do these companies ever learn anything? Never ever run ads insulting your potential customers. It's marketing 101.

The only exception would be John Hodgman who actually came across as likable.
post #91 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

1) With that focus I think the ad really is effective. We have to remember Android-based vendors are competing against each other first and foremost.

2) It's interesting how "fanboy" isn't qualified to refer to "Apple fanboys" or "iPhone fanboys" like Wallace is saying only Apple's products have actual fans. That doesn't make Samsung look good.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #92 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

So, not only Samsung ripped-off iPhone and got in trouble over it, they're now making ads stating it's better than iPhone.

Rumor: At CES Samsung will introduce its voice-controlled personal assistant dubbed Samsung Integrated Response Interface.
post #93 of 272
I don't understand why apple customers continually applaud apple for taking a greater proportion of their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?
post #94 of 272
Uh, kinda reminds me of the Microsoft commercials about people selecting a laptop computer and saying that they weren't "cool" enough to buy a Mac. Yea, those PC laptops have been flying off the shelves (not) since those series of ads were aired.

And remember the Motorola ad for the Xoom that aired during SuperBowl XLV, the one that made the not-so-subtle reference to that historic 1984 spot by Apple, except this time, Motorola is the one throwing the hammer. Except for the Motorola Xoom owner, everyone else is dressed in white, moping around like expressionless sheep. And how did those Xoom sales turn out?

Also, why in the ad didn't any of those waiting in line for the 4S ask any of the smug Samsung phone owners if their phones had SIRI?
post #95 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I don't understand why apple customers continually applaud apple for taking a greater proportion of their money.

I don't understand why people think that money has anything to do with good products.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #96 of 272
Quote:

You don't understand why people like success over failure, or you don't understand why people like Apple's high quality and great service over low quality and poor service?
post #97 of 272
Samsung is 1987 Microsoft. They can't innovate on their own ideas. They have to steal their ideas from everyone else and market them with a ton of cash.
post #98 of 272
Quote:

Because they don't release products with an OS that's not updatable and yet old and still unfinished at the same time by the time it's released?
post #99 of 272
And the Samsung Galaxy user said to the iPhone user: "Wouldn't you love to have a TV with a keypad to carry around in your pocket, except this beast won't fit in your pocket."

And the iPhone user says: "No thanks, I'll keep my iPhone."

It's as simple as that.

Advertising is effective when it sells an idea, a state of mind, a feeling, a bliss.

This ad by Samsung sells jealousy. It is not only a waste of money, but it does the opposite of what it should do. And they have to pay the firm that produced that crap? What a rip.
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
post #100 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebrie View Post

Do these companies ever learn anything? Never ever run ads insulting your potential customers. It's marketing 101.

The only exception would be John Hodgman who actually came across as likable.

Oh no, Hodgman wasn't portraying Windows users, but generic Windows PCs. So if anything, Apple was 'insulting' Mac competitors.

The old 'Lemmings' ad did, however, end up insulting people, even if that wasn't Apple's intention (hard to see how it could not be insulting). Surprisingly it's from the same ad agency who created the '1984' and 'The Crazy Ones' ads.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #101 of 272
This commercial just proves that Samsung is junk. Nobody's buying them, that's why you can get them whenever you want without standing in line for it. So in making fun of people in line for the iPhone, SamSUNK just proved to the consumer that their SamJUNK devices are plentiful on the shelves collecting dust.
post #102 of 272
Hmmm no. Samsung's cash holdings as of the end of September 2011 was about 22 billion, and it had about 10 billion in debt. Apple's cash holdings is around 80 billion and Apple has zero debt. Apple has enough cash to buy all of its major mobile hardware competitors in cash including Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.
post #103 of 272
Yeah, who like it when significant upgrade but look the same on the outside? Third party manufacturers of accessories etc. That's how you keep the profitable ecosystem thriving for months to come. And did they just suggest unchanged design is bad when they can't even design their own without copying or pasting recognisable OSX/iOS icons all over their stores?

Pah!
post #104 of 272
Samsung wishes people would wait in lines for there phones
post #105 of 272
Waiting for the inevitable Apple commercial response:

Justin Long as Mac enters left of frame.
Mac: "Hi everybody. I'm Mac."
An identically dressed spokesperson, played by Dane Cook, enters right of frame.
Sam: "Hey everybody, I'm Sam and I'm totally cooler than Mac."
Mac: "Hey Sam, did I see you parked outside my house this morning?"
Sam: "Totes Bra'. I wanted to see what outfit you were wearing. Copied it. It totally looks better on me."
Mac: "Okay Sam, this creepy stalker thing has to stop. Stop dating my ex-girlfriends. Stop digging through my trash. Stop wearing my clothes! I'm this close to getting a restraining order!"
Sam: "Not if I sue you first!"
Announcer: "Samsung - like a creepy stalker douchebag that is slowly stealing your identity."
post #106 of 272
Samsung's got it bad.
post #107 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Definitely the best android commercial ever. It's very good. Effective use of differences in product and you come away with the name of both the maker and product. Very well done.

GIGO. The truth in all of life.

Mmm... Your sig made me think...

GIGO... Garbage In Google Out...

Did I get that right?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #108 of 272
In all honesty Apple would have made a similar commercial targeting Samsung, but there weren't any people lining up to buy their products.

The perfect response to this ad would be ...

"Oh, it has a bigger screen ... hold on a second, 'Siri ... how many Galaxy devices has Samsung sold?'"

"It sure looks like Samsung has sold less than 250,000."
post #109 of 272
The only Samsung displays of high end quality are the very expensive ones costing thousands of dollars. Samsung only makes its high end displays. The low end one's are outsourced to various companies even for the same models and the build quality varies. The only company that makes high quality displays at the moderate level is Sharp. This is because 1) the company is the oldest company making such displays, and 2) actually manufactures all its own displays so the quality is consistent. It also adds a fourth pixel, which makes the picture sharper (no pun intended). Don't take my word for it, go to a place like Sears were you have Sharp, Samsung, Sony, and LG all next to one another. The difference is obvious and there is no comparison when viewing sets normally priced under two grand. You have to be careful here though as well because it is common for companies like Samsung to ship display model TVs built with a display it manufactured, but then sell the same model TV with displays outsourced from a third party where the quality is not nearly as good. The Internet is full of resources complaining about Samsung's practice there.

Moreover, most of Samsung's displays are average quality. This wasn't so much the case a couple of years ago, but is true now. Go to any legitimate review site, and it will essentially tell you the same thing. In my view, where Samsung excels is with Smart Apps. It's experience with Smart Phones seems to be carrying over to making better Smart applications for Tvs. I, however, would prefer a better screen and I can settle for gaining application access through a device like an X-Box 360 or an Apple TV.

Samsung's phones are largely made out of cheaper material. You can't honestly put a Samsung phone in your hand, and an iPhone in your hand and tell me Samsung's build quality is on par with Apple's (unless we are talking about the first iPhone). Apple uses high quality metals and glass. Samsung mostly uses plastic, and sometimes a metal trim. My co-worker snapped her cheap Samsung made Nexus phone battery cover trying to take the battery out to reboot the frozen phone.

Samsung is not as bad as Motorola though. Every product I have ever owned of Motorola's has broken within a year. That stinks when you are on a two year contract. There is a 3GS going on 3 years of use in my family. Moreover, I can still sell the phone for about what I paid for it on contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I have a Vibrant and a iPhone 4S. To be honest, I like the sound on my Vibrant better. How is it a POS? I love the Super AMOLED screen with it's infinite black color and home the tech will be on TVs real soon. I also haven't had any burn in. BEAUTIFUL display (lacks retina sharpness though). I also have a plasma tv...no burn in.

Also, you are not making any sense. You tell me to go where the high end headphones are, but to plug them into my phone (at an Apple store?). I'm not seeing your point....
post #110 of 272
I'd email that to Tim Cook. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Waiting for the inevitable Apple commercial response:

Justin Long as Mac enters left of frame.
Mac: "Hi everybody. I'm Mac."
An identically dressed spokesperson, played by Dane Cook, enters right of frame.
Sam: "Hey everybody, I'm Sam and I'm totally cooler than Mac."
Mac: "Hey Sam, did I see you parked outside my house this morning?"
Sam: "Totes Bra'. I wanted to see what outfit you were wearing. Copied it. It totally looks better on me."
Mac: "Okay Sam, this creepy stalker thing has to stop. Stop dating my ex-girlfriends. Stop digging through my trash. Stop wearing my clothes! I'm this close to getting a restraining order!"
Sam: "Not if I sue you first!"
Announcer: "Samsung - like a creepy stalker that is slowly stealing your identity."
post #111 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

The iPhone 4S is a great design. Why change a good thing? The only thing that didn't change is the outside. I guess Siri isn't good enough for you? And you call yourself an Apple fan? I guess you are one of those people that are disappointed that others can't tell that you have a new phone. Apple doesn't manipulate fans, they just make products that fans want. Apple doesn't need fans like you!!
post #112 of 272
I think advertising that mentions or shows competing products is just plain bad. You are basically continuing to establish your competitor instead of your own product.

I also couldn't help but wonder about how much Samsung copied Apple's product. They look really similar in so many ways.
post #113 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They had fun at Microsofts expense on the "I"m a Mac" commercials but if I remember correctly they typically covered things like "yes office runs on a Mac" or shed light on the absence of virus on the platform. There was a message behind the humor. Making fun of people in line waiting for a product says what?

I don't think Samsung's adds were funny nor very informative as plenty of phones have a huge screen and 4G. Why exactly should I buy a Samsung over any other model? They couldn't answer that.

Go pull the sales numbers for the iPad before you start calling "magical and revolutionary" a mythical concept. I'm afraid the data supports that the iPad "is" a bit of a revolution.

Yes having a huge screen is popular for Apple fans as well which is why many of us bought iPads rather than some tweener (too big to be comfy phone to small to be a tablet)

I'm for choice though and I wouldn't mind seeing a 4" iPhone but I think few people really want to see a 4.5" iPhone or larger.

Siri pretty much obviates my need for a larger keyboard as it's voice recognition is pretty damn fantastic for my needs.

Might you be a Barista? That add although probably not the most effective was pretty funny non the least.
post #114 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?

Apple should do a rebuttal commercial... Show a Samsung G2 as it whips through web pages at 4G speeds and then battery diiiiieeeeesssssss! Then an iP 4S user takes a look and sarcastically quips, "Nice phone!"
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #115 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

All of these competitor commercials seem so unprofessional. They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex?

i thought the very same thing during the "Get A Mac" ad campaign from 2006 to 2009 which clearly exposed inferiority complexes of some people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Mac
post #116 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ahh... But it had the Hoodie Girl:

post #117 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Weasel words, the lot of it. What he says explicitly contradicts what we see on screen.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #118 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple should do a rebuttal commercial... Show a Samsung G2 as it whips through web pages at 4G speeds and then battery diiiiieeeeesssssss! Then an iP 4S user takes a look and sarcastically quips, "Nice phone!"
/
/
/

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when seeing all those references to 4G was battery life.

Whilst Santoanderson's little dialogue was good (save for the last line - you don't need to mention them by name, as everyone will know which copy-cat is being referred to), I think it's better that they just don't respond to it.
post #119 of 272
At least the ad is original (enough)
post #120 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... But it had the Hoodie Girl:

Those hoodies are awesome. Anyone got a link to buy them online?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters