or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television expected in mid-2012 as competition is 'scrambling'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple television expected in mid-2012 as competition is 'scrambling' - Page 6

post #201 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Panasonic DMP BD35 (4 stars out of five on Amazon)

I have the same player, It was recommended by a trusted, and professional audio-visual dealer as being a very good player. He also explained that Blu-rays players at the time (2008) were dreadfully slow at loading the blu-ray discs. I don't know if the load times have improved but you could make eggo's in the toaster before it is ready to play. He said that they should get better as the tech advances but that this is where it was at that time. I will not be buying another since I can easily satisfy our appetite for HD content through TV rentals. And before someone starts arguing the difference in the quality of HD, it is obvious that blu-ray is better. It is just not worth the hassle or expense to go the 10 miles each way to the movie rental store, or to pay the high price for ownership at walmart (15miles away BTW) for the media.
itunes rental $4-5 and it plays in 5 seconds
movie store Rentals = $3 +gas $3
own the media $20 or more + gas $5
It is just so much fucking faster and simpler. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT !!!
post #202 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I have invested in Blue Ray, too (a Player + capable projector). Frankly, I think that the drawbacks are greater than the advantages (which explains I still buy "normal" DVDs, in addition to a very few number of Blue rays, but which represent less than 2% of my library).

The image quality is higher, admittedly, but this is only meaningful if you project on a very large screen, and good quality DVD players can significatively enhance the normal DVD image quality.

In addition to the cost of a blue Ray, you have to wait for an incomprehensible and unacceptable long time (several minutes) before the Blue Ray consents to start.

Steve was right on that point also, and anyway, talking about computers, because of the size screen, o.


Wow, first nonsense about TVs without tuners/inputs, and now nonsense about Blu Ray.

The quality is apparent at appropriate distance from any HD screen unless you are vision impaired. DVD players can't create what was never there. All they can do apply edge enhancement that might impress a few vision impaired rubes. Not only that DVDs often have significant artifacts, turn on edge enhancement and you make artifacts more visible.

Several minutes starting time? I play mine on my computer. They start in 5 seconds. Exactly the same as DVD.

As far as Steve being right about Blu Ray for computers. No he was completely wrong and it put Macs behind PCs in another area.

Who cares about small screen on PC when you can connect it your HDTV (at least one with inputs, and what idiot would build a TV without inputs? ) and have the ultimate do it all media box: All the streaming services run on PC, PCs will play any format video file ever created, and on Windows you can play DVDs and Blu Rays.

You know it one thing to say you blindly believe whatever rumor comes down the pike without a solid reason (presumable just gullible) but when you stout spouting pages of clueless nonsense trying to pretend that People will buy shiny new HDTVs without access to cable boxes, game consoles, blu ray, OTA TV etc... You have crossed the line into certifiable.
post #203 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Several minutes starting time? I play mine on my computer.

Then perhaps buy a Blu-ray player. It's several minutes of loading time.

Quote:
As far as Steve being right about Blu Ray for computers. No he was completely wrong and it put Macs behind PCs in another area.

Nope. He was completely early. About a decade early. And it put Macs ahead of PCs by a decade.

Quote:
Who cares about small screen on PC when you can connect it your HDTV and have the ultimate do it all media box: All the streaming services run on PC, PCs will play any format video file ever created

Yes, because absolutely everyone's television room is the same as their office or room with their computer. And everyone wants to run giant cables through their house or even across a single room to do crap that can be done wirelessly.



Quote:
and on Windows you can play DVDs and Blu Rays.

So can OS X. Your point?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #204 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

As far as Steve being right about Blu Ray for computers. No he was completely wrong and it put Macs behind PCs in another area..

Lets count the ways Steve Jobs and Apple were so wrong:
  1. Macs dominate the PC market profits. (try to remember what a market is)
  2. Most non-Mac PCs are still sold without Blu-ray players, even when given the BTO option. (great to read reviews where you can't even watch a 2 hour movie on Blu-ray before the battery goes dead. Awesome user experience¡)
  3. Notebooks, by far the most commonly sold PC type, are low moving to remove the ODD.

I could also more that Apple uses an ultra-slim slot-loading ODD that hasn't had a performance boost in years and that didn't have an market for Blu-ray until a couple years ago which started at over $600 as an upgrade price for Dell and Sony's thin notebooks but you'd probably just counter with a silly comment about how "Apple doesn't have to make their notebooks so thin", so I'll regain from mentioning that point. Nope, not gonna even elude it.

edit: Dell doesn't even offer Blu-ray as an option for it's most comparable machines to the MacBook Pros, the Z-series notebooks. It's almost as if an upgrade option that is half the cost the base machine is somehow pointless and not acceptable to reasonable buyers.

edit2: It's interesting how Sony deals with the space constraints of their Vaio Z-series by offering a slot-loading Blu-ray burner as an external option. And it's only $500. No one it shows out of stock, it's got to be hard keeping them in stock at that low price¡

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #205 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

You have crossed the line into certifiable.


I am very grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to improve my English. Here it goes for other non-native English speakers ( like me ) :

certifiable (comparative more certifiable, superlative most certifiable)

1- (of a document) That can, or that must be certified.
2- (informal, of a person) Mentally ill to such an extent that involuntary institutionalization is appropriate; crazy.

Back to the original debate. Of course there might be inputs, but they can be from Internet. My hypothesis is that it will be a combination of (local or iCloud) libraries (such as iTunes) and video on demand, thereby turning for new generations to come the idea of being forced to watch predefined contents as totally archaic. (by the way, when I observe my children, they have already switched to this). The VOD gives true choice. TV channels do not because the greater number they are , the more uniform is the content delivered.

And by the way, some people also said Steve was certifiable when he dropped diskettes readers ...
post #206 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then perhaps buy a Blu-ray player. It's several minutes of loading time.

I don't see why. Perhaps you should get a HTPC. According to what you say, it appears that HTPC playback of Blu Ray is an order of magnitude faster. Clearly HTPC wins again.


Quote:
Yes, because absolutely everyone's television room is the same as their office or room with their computer. And everyone wants to run giant cables through their house or even across a single room to do crap that can be done wirelessly.

HTPC isn't for everyone, but to suggest that Blu Ray has no place on computers because the screen is small is just silly.

Quote:
So can OS X. Your point?

It actually works on windows:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1609...o_the_mac.html
"watching a Blu-ray disc on a Mac is finally possible. Well, in theory anyway.
The video itself looked fine when it played properly, but it stopped and started constantly, and often displayed with huge, ugly artifacts. And at times, the app would freeze completely and require a force quit."
post #207 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

It actually works on windows:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1609...o_the_mac.html
"watching a Blu-ray disc on a Mac is finally possible. Well, in theory anyway.
The video itself looked fine when it played properly, but it stopped and started constantly, and often displayed with huge, ugly artifacts. And at times, the app would freeze completely and require a force quit."

The best way to watch content from a DVD or a Blu-ray disc is to rip it from the disc to your local drive. This not only many the access to the file faster and give you a digital backup, but will use less power than a spinning ODD when playing back on a notebook.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #208 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The best way to watch content from a DVD or a Blu-ray disc is to rip it from the disc to your local drive. This not only many the access to the file faster and give you a digital backup, but will use less power than a spinning ODD when playing back on a notebook.

Agreed. And, as Mr Spock would say : the logical conclusion which comes out of this is that the physical incarnation of the content (the disc) is something which is of no interest, if you have an alternative technical mean to convey the content.
post #209 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

thereby turning for new generations to come the idea of being forced to watch predefined contents as totally archaic. (by the way, when I observe my children, they have already switched to this). The VOD gives true choice. TV channels do not because the greater number they are , the more uniform is the content delivered.

That makes no sense at all. Predifined content. Like what? TV shows and movies? Are you saying these are obsolete and the future is watching a dog chase it's tail on youtube?

How is including a tuner/input connections forcing anything. It is merely allowing choice. Today there are many homes that have it all. OTA/Cable TV + Blu Ray + DVD + PS3/Xbox, + netflix streaming, etc...

Your brilliant plan is to take away all their choices and you call it "true choice"? What is this? Newspeak?


Quote:
And by the way, some people also said Steve was certifiable when he dropped diskettes readers ...

1) No they didn't.
2) You are not Steve Jobs.

This brain dead, iTunes only Monitor to replace TV is your idea, not his. You can't blame your nonsense on Steve Jobs.
post #210 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The best way to watch content from a DVD or a Blu-ray disc is to rip it from the disc to your local drive. This not only many the access to the file faster and give you a digital backup, but will use less power than a spinning ODD when playing back on a notebook.

It is a good option to have, but it is not a complete solution.

If a friend wants to drop over and bring his favorite movie to watch on Blu Ray.

Do you then have wait an hour to rip it, so you can watch it?

The point was Windows PC's handle Blu Ray most excellently, Macs don't.
post #211 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I don't see why. Perhaps you should get a HTPC. According to what you say, it appears that HTPC playback of Blu Ray is an order of magnitude faster. Clearly HTPC wins again.

Why would I want a noisy, power-sucking computer plugged into my television when I could have a box that draws six watts at most, is completely silent, and can have an amazingly intuitive GUI?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #212 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Agreed. And, as Mr Spock would say : the logical conclusion which comes out of this is that the physical incarnation of the content (the disc) is something which is of no interest, if you have an alternative technical mean to convey the content.

If you want to count the ways that one OS is better at a very specific thing than another I assure you I will win the argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

1) No they didn't.

Yes they did. It was part of a long line of continuing follies by Apple that have brought them to the top of the financial world. Getting rid of the ODD is yet another one of those stupid ideas that they rest of the PC world is following.

Quote:
2) You are not Steve Jobs.

Where did he claim he is Steve Jobs?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #213 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would I want a noisy, power-sucking computer plugged into my television when I could have a box that draws six watts at most, is completely silent, and can have an amazingly intuitive GUI?

You were suggesting I get a Blu Ray player. Are you saying you have a Blu Ray that is completely Silent with an Amazingly Intuitive GUI?
post #214 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Yes they did. It was part of a long line of continuing follies by Apple that have brought them to the top of the financial world. Getting rid of the ODD is yet another one of those stupid ideas that they rest of the PC world is following.


Where did he claim he is Steve Jobs?


Find me one person who said Steve Jobs was certifiable for removing the floppy from the iMac. They may have questioned the business sense of the move, but no one called him certifiable.

He was claiming similarity, as in they said the same thing about Steve Jobs, as you are saying about me. Perhaps it should have been better phrased as "You are no Steve Jobs". As in you can't compare yourself or your silly ideas to those of Steve Jobs.
post #215 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

You were suggesting I get a Blu Ray player. Are you saying you have a Blu Ray that is completely Silent with an Amazingly Intuitive GUI?

Not in the least. You know what I mean.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #216 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Find me one person who said Steve Jobs was certifiable for removing the floppy from the iMac.

Sorry, it appears my poor knowledge of English may have induced me to a wrong interpretation of your previous statements :

The transition has been in the works for a long time, said Mark Beccue, senior analyst at ABI Research, New York. Still, there is no way to replace Jobs, who was one of the greatest businessmen ever and a certifiable genius the bar is awfully high.



Your Certifiable Genius is the center of the Elevate universe, and you are the center of
his attention. Find out what it means to have a virtual IT hit squad at your beck and call.

(http://www.goelevate.com/up/T1/certifiablegenius.html)
post #217 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Find me one person who said Steve Jobs was certifiable for removing the floppy from the iMac. They may have questioned the business sense of the move, but no one called him certifiable.

He was claiming similarity, as in they said the same thing about Steve Jobs, as you are saying about me. Perhaps it should have been better phrased as "You are no Steve Jobs". As in you can't compare yourself or your silly ideas to those of Steve Jobs.

So you're losing the argument an now you want proof of an exact usage despite that not being quoted. Don't be an idiot! You know damn well the tech world questioned Jobs and Apple for removing the floppy drive, most everyone reporting it was a huge stupid mistake that will sink the company.

edit: Look at that, someone found an exact usage of that term to describe Jobs. Since you want to anal and didn't qualify your sentence to mean certifiably crazy his example wins.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #218 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're losing the argument an now you want proof of an exact usage despite that not being quoted. Don't be an idiot! You know damn well the tech world questioned Jobs and Apple for removing the floppy drive, most everyone reporting it was a huge stupid mistake that will sink the company.

edit: Look at that, someone found an exact usage of that term to describe Jobs. Since you want to anal and didn't qualify your sentence to mean certifiably crazy his example wins.

"Certifiable Genius" is a far cry for "Certifiable".

It is amazing how you play incredibly loose and obtuse to try and make one side of your argument then turn ultra pedantic on the other.

No one called Steve Jobs certifiable (crazy or genius) over the lack of the floppy on an iMac, as was claimed.
post #219 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

"Certifiable Genius" is a far cry for "Certifiable".

It is amazing how you play incredibly loose and obtuse to try and make one side of your argument then turn ultra pedantic on the other.

No one called Steve Jobs certifiable (crazy or genius) over the lack of the floppy on an iMac, as was claimed.

You've acknowledged it wasn't well received or understood by the tech world yet decided the OP meant that Jobs sanity as a human being was literally called into question. I merely countered your foolish pedantism by mocking it, but I should have known you wouldn't have understand that since I only described exact what I was writing. A little reading on comprehension on your part would go a long way for you here and in life.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #220 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Panasonic DMP BD35 (4 stars out of five on Amazon)

I have the DMP-BD85, while it isn't as fast to start up as a PS3, it doesn't take several minutes
post #221 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

I have the same player, It was recommended by a trusted, and professional audio-visual dealer as being a very good player. He also explained that Blu-rays players at the time (2008) were dreadfully slow at loading the blu-ray discs. I don't know if the load times have improved but you could make eggo's in the toaster before it is ready to play. He said that they should get better as the tech advances but that this is where it was at that time. I will not be buying another since I can easily satisfy our appetite for HD content through TV rentals. And before someone starts arguing the difference in the quality of HD, it is obvious that blu-ray is better. It is just not worth the hassle or expense to go the 10 miles each way to the movie rental store, or to pay the high price for ownership at walmart (15miles away BTW) for the media.
itunes rental $4-5 and it plays in 5 seconds
movie store Rentals = $3 +gas $3
own the media $20 or more + gas $5
It is just so much fucking faster and simpler. NO QUESTION ABOUT IT !!!

Try to remember that no everyones experience is like yours.

iTunes rental (when they finally get there), NZ$7 for (semi)HD
Blu-ray rental NZ$5 (full price, $3 with vouchers) after a 3 minute walk to the store
Purchasing them? 3k walk to the big local store, on-line drops it off in my letter box.

No question about it, get off your butt and walk to the store!!!

Also, you might want to look at a more fuel efficent car (or a push bike), your fuel price seems a little high
post #222 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then perhaps buy a Blu-ray player. It's several minutes of loading time.

2007 called, they want their excuse back
post #223 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have the DMP-BD85, while it isn't as fast to start up as a PS3, it doesn't take several minutes

OK, I did not measure exactly, I admit. It is definitively more than one minute, which I believe British people would call "a number of minutes" ("a number" being any positive integer), and which, on subjective appreciation is long, believe me, for something you expect to be instantaneous.

But back to my practical experience with Blue rays : although I do not care too much, because I can afford, it, I have invested several hundreds of Euros to watch about 15 blue Rays (the actual number I own, which presumably will remain constant, because as I have said, I mostly continue to buy normal DVDs, even for titles which exists in both formats).

The positive aspect, of course, is that part of this investment consist in a High Definition Projector, which enhances the image obtained from a normal DVD (although my contradictor objects to that).
post #224 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

2007 called, they want their excuse back

You've misread my intentions.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #225 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You've acknowledged it wasn't well received or understood by the tech world yet decided the OP meant that Jobs sanity as a human being was literally called into question. I merely countered your foolish pedantism by mocking it, but I should have known you wouldn't have understand that since I only described exact what I was writing. A little reading on comprehension on your part would go a long way for you here and in life.

I was directly questioning OPs sanity when calling him certifiable, and he indicated the same was said of Jobs (He even included the dictionary Definition of certifiable before tying it to Jobs), which indicates the same questioning of sanity, not just that dropping the floppy wasn't well received. :

From his post:
Quote:
2- (informal, of a person) Mentally ill to such an extent that involuntary institutionalization is appropriate; crazy.

some people also said Steve was certifiable when he dropped diskettes readers ...

It isn't exactly leaping to an unfounded conclusion or a high level of pedantry to link certifiable in a post to a question of sanity, when the poster actually includes the dictionary definition right before using it.
post #226 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've misread my intentions.

What were they then? When I said my HTPC loads them in about 5 seconds, you said that I should buy a Blu Ray player they take minutes.

1) If that was true why would I want a Blu ray player?
2) That doesn't appear to be true for modern Blu Ray Players:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...rightYear=2011

Blu Ray Loading time: 11-25 seconds.
DVD Loading time: 18 seconds.

Also you can Rent a Blu Ray from many Grocery Stores Red Box Kiosks for $1.50 for those making claims about huge rental costs.

Also Blu Ray isn't mutually exclusive with other Media, Most modern Blu Ray players have built in Netflix, Vudu, Amazon etc...

For little more than the price of Apple TV a modern BR player gives DVD/BR and Movie streaming at up 1080p. You can still stream cheap lower quality movies/tv shows, but when you want high quality for a favorite movie, nothing comes close to Blu Ray Audio or Video.

Remember this argument about Blu Ray was brought in because some thought it a good idea to have the Apple "TV Set" without inputs to play Blu Ray.

Who do you think buys expensive TVs (the kind that have positive margins)? From what I have seen it is Blu Ray loving videophiles.

I may not be able to predict everything Apple does, but I can predict with certainty that they won't release a TV without inputs for BR/Game Consoles etc... That is just nuts.
post #227 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've misread my intentions.

Your intentions were to make out that blu-ray players are slow to load?
post #228 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Your intentions were to make out that blu-ray players are slow to load?

Yes, and that a standalone Blu-ray player is the primary means by which consumers will experience the format as a whole, thereby making waiting time a concern of theirs.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #229 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, and that a standalone Blu-ray player is the primary means by which consumers will experience the format as a whole, thereby making waiting time a concern of theirs.

So in other words, I didn't misread your intentions like you said, and I was correct in saying that 2007 called and they wanted their excuse back.

Players made in the last few years are significantly faster in loading movies than the original models.
post #230 of 260
Long Blu-ray times? Lol, my Panasonic BDP-110 wants a word with you!

Just because Apple leaves a format out, it does not mean that was a smart decision. Apple is more focused on content deilivery, controlling what's in your library. I mean, I love having a physical copy that I can rip if I choose to and I love collecting various cases and covers and the what nots. Try posting that stuff on blu-ray.com forums.

The movies on iTunes store are quite expensive for digital. Digital maybe the way of the future, but that does not meant it is the only future. I still like getting discs fairly cheap (ooh, oooh, especially used ones). I also like Steelbooks.
post #231 of 260
The one useful thing I takeaway from this thread is it made me take another look at modern Blu Ray players.

I was previously considering picking up a media player box like a WDTV (Apple TV too limited for me), but for a similar price a modern Blu Ray player can give you:

Many Internet Streaming services: Vudu, Amazon, Netflix etc.
Home network streaming.
USB drive support for MKVs, AVIs, Divx etc...
And very Fast Blu Ray/DVD playback. (~20 seconds, not minutes).

I bet many don't know how versatile modern Blu Ray players are. I didn't, since it had been a while since I looked at stand alone BR players. They are now amazing, versatile media machines.
post #232 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

The one useful thing I takeaway from this thread is it made me take another look at modern Blu Ray players.

I was previously considering picking up a media player box like a WDTV (Apple TV too limited for me), but for a similar price a modern Blu Ray player can give you:

Many Internet Streaming services: Vudu, Amazon, Netflix etc.
Home network streaming.
USB drive support for MKVs, AVIs, Divx etc...
And very Fast Blu Ray/DVD playback. (~20 seconds, not minutes).

I bet many don't know how versatile modern Blu Ray players are. I didn't, since it had been a while since I looked at stand alone BR players. They are now amazing, versatile media machines.


Some even have hard drives. Plus, my Blu-ray player plays 3D! They are really verstaile, I agree. Netflix and Hulu are reasons alone.
post #233 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

The one useful thing I takeaway from this thread is it made me take another look at modern Blu Ray players.

I was previously considering picking up a media player box like a WDTV (Apple TV too limited for me), but for a similar price a modern Blu Ray player can give you:

Many Internet Streaming services: Vudu, Amazon, Netflix etc.
Home network streaming.
USB drive support for MKVs, AVIs, Divx etc...
And very Fast Blu Ray/DVD playback. (~20 seconds, not minutes).

I bet many don't know how versatile modern Blu Ray players are. I didn't, since it had been a while since I looked at stand alone BR players. They are now amazing, versatile media machines.

I wouldn't bother. Most Internet enabled bluray players work as well as Internet enabled TVs. As in not very. I remember that LG was going to release some using Plex...that might be good if they aren't sluggish. Sony might not be bad too if you're used to their UI...but the low end devices uses fairly wimpy SOCs so are sluggish. And after a certain price point you might as well and just buy a ps3 for a little bit more.

Too many are just checking features off a list. Vudu. Check. Netflix. Check. Amazon. Check.

Weird how even the cheap roku actually work better when it comes down to using it.
post #234 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post


Who do you think buys expensive TVs (the kind that have positive margins)? From what I have seen it is Blu Ray loving videophiles.

More expensive tvs are bought by football fans for any single Super Bowl (US) or world cup (everywhere else) than all videophiles combined ever. This is one major reason why an Apple HDTV must have an input to be successful unless Apple scores highly unlikely access to live sports.

Bluray is successful but will never be as popular as DVD because of streaming. Most folks don't care enough and can live with lower bitrate HD from streaming or cable on demand.

Videophiles don't matter either way to the success of an apple branded HDTV. Most REAL videophiles are pining over a 4k projector and dedicated media room anyway. Bluray is too low rez...
post #235 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

More expensive tvs are bought by football fans for any single Super Bowl (US) or world cup (everywhere else) than all videophiles combined ever. This is one major reason why an Apple HDTV must have an input to be successful unless Apple scores highly unlikely access to live sports.

Bluray is successful but will never be as popular as DVD because of streaming. Most folks don't care enough and can live with lower bitrate HD from streaming or cable on demand.
Videophiles don't matter either way to the success of an apple branded HDTV. Most REAL videophiles are pining over a 4k projector and dedicated media room anyway. Bluray is too low rez...

Also, unlike DVD, Blu-ray requires an HDTV. You can use DVD with any tv. Many people are still on standard....
post #236 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Also, unlike DVD, Blu-ray requires an HDTV. You can use DVD with any tv. Many people are still on standard....

You can play blu-rays on a SDTV
post #237 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You can play blu-rays on a SDTV

I meant to see the benefits; shouldn't been more clear. I've played blu-rays on my SDTV too, but I'm saying the differences are negligble without an hdtv. You can certainly see the jump from VHS to DVD on your SDTV. Blu-ray.....nah.
post #238 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You can play blu-rays on a SDTV

How? HDCP and lack of old-timey ports on many Blu-ray players makes that seem a little tough.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #239 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How? HDCP and lack of old-timey ports on many Blu-ray players makes that seem a little tough.

Actually, many Blu-ray players have the old composite cables on the back for some reason. I still don't get why though. He's right. It definately works.
post #240 of 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Actually, many Blu-ray players have the old composite cables on the back for some reason. I still don't get why though. He's right. It definately works.

I think you mean analog YPbPr component video, not composite. HDCP is very specific, but I don't recall if players can downgrade the video from full-resolution to less quality if they are protected. Either way, it's pretty pointless to have Blu-ray titles just to figure out a way to play in SD.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television expected in mid-2012 as competition is 'scrambling'