or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is this mouse worth it?

Is this mouse worth it?

post #1 of 22
Well I have had my New iMac for about a week and I love the look of this one button mouse and wish I could keep it but it's driving me crazy, I can't seem to get things done fairly fast, playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein is a task in itself, and it hurts my hand. So I was looking at the Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer, does anyone have any comments on it? Is it worth $70.00? That's a lot of money for a mouse and I don't want to waste it if it isn't going to be any good. Thanks.
post #2 of 22
For games I wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse. I've got the Logtiech Wireless and it's great for the most part, but I haven't heard good things about games and wireless.
post #3 of 22
[quote]For games I wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse. I've got the Logtiech Wireless and it's great for the most part, but I haven't heard good things about games and wireless.<hr></blockquote>

Amen to that. Wireless mice suck donkey balls for gaming. Get a wired one. I've heard the Logitech Dual Optical is good, and also their iFeel mouse and standard optical mouse.

Personally I use the razer boomslang 2000. It's a ball mouse, but it's precise as hell. I go to my sister's computer and it's a pain in the ass to spend 5 hours to go from one corner of the screen to another. With my razer, I flick my mouse a tiny bit and ZOOM!
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #4 of 22
I like the Intellimouse OPTICAL. It's cheaper, ambidextrous, and overall a really good mouse.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #5 of 22
I'll add my vote for the Kensington Optical Elite. I think it's everybit as good as the M$ mouse, plus there is native OSX software for it. And it's cheaper. And it works with righties and lefties. And it's not made by M$.

Oh, it glows blue, which looks cool with Aqua.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #6 of 22
Well I went to Best Buy and I found that the Microsoft Wireless was marked $49 in the computer sections part and $69 in the mouse section so I said alright, I will try it sense they messed up the price. So I set it up and started up Wolfenstein. Please don't remind me of that experience again. Basically it's very slow and inaccurate. So by the end of the time playing I end up using the Apple Pro Mouse, and that felt so much better then the wireless! So I'm taking it back tomorrow and getting a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical. I hope that works out better for me. Anyways the lesson to this experience is for me is: Cords Rule!

Edit: Surfing and such are alright I suppose, but I personally don't like the feel of it.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</p>
post #7 of 22
I think there's also something about MS mice sampling slowly. They just seem so jerky.

And boomslang boy, I like my mice slow as hell. I like even better the Wacom 12x12 tablet I use to have.
Cat: the other white meat
post #8 of 22
[quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:
<strong>I think there's also something about MS mice sampling slowly. They just seem so jerky.

And boomslang boy, I like my mice slow as hell. I like even better the Wacom 12x12 tablet I use to have.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you like your mouse slow?
post #9 of 22
Well I took it back and picked up a Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical, and it's one of the best mouses I have owned. It's just wonderful - smooth, fast, precise, great feeling to it. I previously owned a Microsoft Optical with a PC before I went to Mac and this blows it away. I'm loving it

Edit: Does anyone have an idea when Logitech will release a driver for it? It would be cool if I could use this back button on it

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</p>
post #10 of 22
[quote]Originally posted by foneroot:
<strong>

Edit: Does anyone have an idea when Logitech will release a driver for it? It would be cool cool if I could use this back button on it

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: foneroot ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Logitech's got beta drives on their website, but I'd suggest just using <a href="http://www.usboverdrive" target="_blank">USB Overdrive</a>.
post #11 of 22
Logitech Mouseman Optical dual sensor.

It rocks. I use it primarily for Urban Terror (http://urbanterror.net).

No lag, no loss of resolution, lots of optical sensor goodness.

Never have I been so happy with my mouse.
post #12 of 22
I too have a Logitech dual-optical mouse. It is great. It is a tad heavy, but some gamers like that. It tracks well, has a 6' (!) usb cable, and is pretty comfortable. It is designed for right-handers only-sorry.

I am playing Wolfenstein now, and it is great. I also used it for Urban Terror, Quake 3, Unreal, etc. The mouse has 3 main buttons (counting the wheel button), plus a (left) side button, and a wheel. I wish it had a pinky (right side) button, but oh well!

It is a very cool color of silver and grey that looks nice with TiBook and QuickSilver G4s.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #13 of 22
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>

Logitech's got beta drives on their website, but I'd suggest just using <a href="http://www.usboverdrive" target="_blank">USB Overdrive</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks! I installed USB Overdrive, works great, button is working now
post #14 of 22
<strong>

Why do you like your mouse slow?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you like your mouse fast?

Let me answer this question for you: You don't like moving your hand.

So I like my mouse slow because I do like moving my hand. Pretty simple, isn't it? I also do a lot of graphics work, and a slow tracking speed allows more control on them bezier control points.
post #15 of 22
I've got a Logitech myself, a nice two button scrollwheel mouse (the wheel also acts as a button, very cool), and it cost $30. Unless you're the sort who likes 8 buttons on their mouse, there is no reason to spend more than $50 on a new mouse.

Whatever you decide on for a new mouse, you should recoup some of the cost by selling your Apple Pro Mouse on eBay.
post #16 of 22
[quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:
<strong>

Why do you like your mouse fast?

Let me answer this question for you: You don't like moving your hand.

So I like my mouse slow because I do like moving my hand. Pretty simple, isn't it? I also do a lot of graphics work, and a slow tracking speed allows more control on them bezier control points.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good enough reason.
post #17 of 22
Well I just ran into a little problem. I just did a System Restore and went to reinstall USB Overdrive but this time I actually read the directions, and I put USB Overdrive in Applications like it said, before I didn't, I just installed off the disk, which it say not to do. But anyways now my back button isn't working like it did last time, and when I go into USB Overdrive it doesn't show an option for a back button for it. How do I fix this?
post #18 of 22
[quote]Originally posted by foneroot:
<strong>Well I just ran into a little problem. I just did a System Restore and went to reinstall USB Overdrive but this time I actually read the directions, and I put USB Overdrive in Applications like it said, before I didn't, I just installed off the disk, which it say not to do. But anyways now my back button isn't working like it did last time, and when I go into USB Overdrive it doesn't show an option for a back button for it. How do I fix this? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Nevermind, I just un-installed USB Overdrive, installed if from the disk image like they said not to do and it works again
post #19 of 22
<strong>For games I wouldn't recommend a wireless mouse. I've got the Logtiech Wireless and it's great for the most part, but I haven't heard good things about games and wireless.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree with this sentiment. I have a Logitech wireless optical and it works great for games. Nothing to slow me down in any way..
-Bobby&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;<a href="http://www.torgo.org/" target="_blank">http://www.torgo.org/</a>&gt;
-Bobby&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;<a href="http://www.torgo.org/" target="_blank">http://www.torgo.org/</a>&gt;
post #20 of 22
I use the 2(3) button Logitech wheel mouse and it rocs. It's the wired one. Best mouse I've ever had
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
post #21 of 22
I would also disagree with the "Wireless mice are not good for games" sentiment, as i use the <a href="http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/91" target="_blank">Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical</a>, and it works great.

And a side note, the most recent MS Wireless Intellimouse Optical, which would be the most expensive one (100$ CDN, not sure in USD), is actually twice as acurate as my Logitech, and has 4 buttons vs. the Logitechs 3, but all of that is still outweighed by the fact that it is made by Micorsoft.

--PB
post #22 of 22
I use a basic Macally ADB ball mouse on my powerbook and I love it. I've had it for years. The problem was that the dumb old Apple ADB mouse II (teardrop shaped one) was a piece of crap after about a year of use, and I went through two Mice In A Box which also died quickly before I got the Macally. It still works just like the day I got it.

My brother replaced the puck mouse on his iMac with a Logitech optical wheel mouse. It's also great, with a good feel to the buttons and a nice scroll wheel. I do have a problem with optical mice, though. Since I'm used to a ball mouse, i tend to lift up the mouse very little when moving it away from the corner of the mouse pad. Usually I lift it from the back or the front and the other end stays in contact. Great for a ball mouse, but most optical mice I've used (Logitech and Apple included, esp. the Apple one) can sense movement if the sensor is less than 3mm or so from the surface. That's one reason why I like the Microsoft Intellimouse (corded). It doesn't sense movement unless the sensor is right on the surface. But it's made by Microsoft, and it's ugly as hell, and expensive, and the buttons are too easy to click, and so is the scroll wheel which is also quite "loose" to turn, and it has those annoying side buttons that I always hit by accident...

Okay I'm cutting this off because it's getting long.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Is this mouse worth it?