or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year - Page 3

post #81 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I suggest that you delete your post, otherwise I am going to have to reply to it and liberals won't like what I will say about them.

Really? Will someone hold you at gunpoint at the keyboard?

The only reason you'll have to reply is you can't rise above a petty political troll.
post #82 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I'm sorry but to me it seems like you're just jealous that Apple copied MS's TellMe and named it Siri.

Yes, we're all very jealous that Apple copied a Microsoft promotional video about fictional software that they might one day get around to making. Not really keeping up, are we?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #83 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple is about integration. They've been building out an integrated meta-platform for over 10 years. They don't have warring internal factions, the OS X people aren't sabotaging Apple TV because of turf battles, the iPod Touch doesn't get hamstrung because the iPhone people are jealous of their empire. If MS wants to whine about how they don't get credit for being innovative, then for god's sake stop letting your lieutenants create autonomous silos and pick a master plan and freaking stick to it. You don't get to complain if you can't execute.

Apple doesn't have warring internal factions? If so that would be unusual in a company the size of Apple. I reckon they do, to an extent, but such 'normal' battles over "what should we do given the myriad of choices available to us?" don't make it out into the public.
post #84 of 136
Quote:

I'm sorry but to me it seems like you're just jealous that Apple copied MS's TellMe and named it Siri.

You know something Steve Jobs was telling the truth with the "magical" part, things that normally take years to develop and test before they are ready for release, are done within weeks or months of Apple's secret wizards seeing them.

Down to the magical labs, whip up a few spells and poof a fully working model, bugs ironed out and ready to sell.

There Apple really uses magic, it's the only explanation.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, troll?

P.S.

Apple really has no experience with talking computers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #85 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Apple doesn't have warring internal factions? If so that would be unusual in a company the size of Apple. I reckon they do, to an extent, but such 'normal' battles over "what should we do given the myriad of choices available to us?" don't make it out into the public.

They don't have it because Steve acted as final arbiter of everything. That doesn't mean that such rivalries might not develop in the post-Steve Apple, but as it stands everything is coordinated around a roadmap that Steve had final say on.

Moreover, Apple is very unusual for being such a huge company with such a small, focused product line. It's not really surprising that there isn't much internal strife when everything is working to a common purpose, and there aren't that many things to begin with. Computers running OS X and apps, iOS devices and apps. And lately, cloud services.

MS explicitly encourages competition between divisions and groups, and there are a lot of them. Windows has the power to thwart innovation elsewhere in the company, as occurred with the whole Courier fiasco and the subsequent loss of key personnel. You get things like arbitrary distinctions between Windows Phone 7 and Windows on a tablet, because Windows must be honored. You get things like the day late and the dollar short Zune, sort of left out there to die, because the Zune people never had the internal clout to influence the roadmap.

You never see stuff like that at Apple. The iPhone doesn't get hobbled to service OS X hegemony, OS X doesn't lose functionality to prop up some notion about how iOS is strategically marketed. MS feels like a collection of companies, all vying for the limelight by any means necessary. Apple feels like a cohesive whole where all the parts serve a unified vision of how the future should work.
post #86 of 136
Quote:
The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload
And nobodys gonna go to school today
Shes gonna make them stay at home
And daddy doesnt understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be show-ow-ow-ow-own?

Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
I wanna shoo-oo-woo-woo-woo-oot the whole day down

The Telex machine is kept so clean
And it types to a waiting world
And mother feels so shocked
Fathers world is rocked
And their thoughts turn to their own little girl
Sweet 16 aint that peachy keen
Now that aint so neat to admit defeat
They can see no reasons
'Cuz there are no reasons
What reasons do you need?
Oh Oh oh whoa whoa

Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-woo-woo-oot
The whole day down, down, down, shoot it all down

And all the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with the toys a while
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles
And the captain tackles
(With the problems of the how's and why's)
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die, die?
Oh Oh Oh

Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like
I dont like (Tell me why)
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I dont like
I dont like (Tell me why)
I dont like Mundies
Tell me why
I don't like Mundies
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-woo-woo-woot the whole day down

I don't know why this sort of fits.
post #87 of 136
They are either lying or have piss poor marketing. My cousin has had a WP7 phone for a year and this is the first time either of us have heard of this voice control functionality.

... at night.

... at night.

post #88 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness.

Oh hell that commercial was pukarific!
post #89 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, now we know who's in charge of the people whining about "THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE, THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE. SAME PHONE. SAME PHONE."

It is stupid. Computers hardly changed in a decade, every year it's the same thing but with a faster chip inside. Heck, most of Dell's computers are the same rickedy chassis with different paint schemes and different chips inside.
post #90 of 136
Quote:

How do you copy an AI without stealing code? If you can't explain that, please prove Apple stole code. Otherwise, GTFO troll.
post #91 of 136
If you guys can't post without mentioning politics, please don't post. It's not even close to being on topic. If you have an axe to grind, you need to go elsewhere. We have Political Outsider, save for that, it doesn't belong on this site. See a political comment, don't reply with more political comments, just report it or ignore it.

I've deleted a lot of political posts in this thread. Let me know if I missed one.
post #92 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Sour grapes from Microsoft. Why am I not surprised.

The Windows phone is rapidly disappearing in the iPhone's rear view mirror.

You mean like how the iPhone is disappearing into Android's rear view mirror?

Microsoft have deep pockets so Windows Phone isn't going to disappear. With Nokia on board now and pushing out beautiful (albeit currently very underpowered) devices which are unique to the platform, and with Metro taking over Windows 8 and Xbox 360, things will turn around.

It's just going to take a few more years.
post #93 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

The hammer is one of our most advanced technologies.

Well, the hammer IS a great technology...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #94 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you guys can't post without mentioning politics, please don't post. It's not even close to being on topic. If you have an axe to grind, you need to go elsewhere. We have Political Outsider, save for that, it doesn't belong on this site. See a political comment, don't reply with more political comments, just report it or ignore it.

I did not even have time to write anything political yet here, and you shut that out already...
Oh, well. Time to get to work anyway.

post #95 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You mean like how the iPhone is disappearing into Android's rear view mirror? ...

You are always good for a laugh.
post #96 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Siri was avalible in the movie Blank Check. Little known fact ya'll.

Really? Little known fact - the company "Siri" (and natural language voice recognition as a whole) didn't exist in 1994.

Little known fact #2 - full AI humanoid robots were widely available in the 1980s. I saw it. Blade Runner and Terminator. That was real, right?
post #97 of 136
Quote:

If you're referencing the video, IT'S FAKE. Copied what (in real life)?
post #98 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Siri was avalible in the movie Blank Check. Little known fact ya'll.

Siri was available in the original Star Trek too. Just because it was conceived of for a fictional tale doesn't make it any less amazing when it becomes available for real.

Thompson
post #99 of 136
Quote:

I'm sorry, maybe you don't understand what a concept video is. This isn't a working product. It's a smoke screen.
post #100 of 136
Quote:
Apple marketed the capability to shift focus away from the iPhone 4S's lack of new features.

Microsoft criticising Apple for fake marketing to divert attention from lack of features? The guys got some balls, I'll say that.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #101 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

I'm sorry, maybe you don't understand what a concept video is. This isn't a working product. It's a smoke screen.

Indeed I hadn't understood that. Thank you for not calling me a troll like many Apple fanbois here did.
post #102 of 136
Windows 7 phone?

never heard of it.
post #103 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Windows 7 phone?

never heard of it.

I picked up on that as well.

You would think their head research guy could do a little better.
post #104 of 136
Siri isn't just copied, they bought the original app, Siri, obviously intending to embed it in the next phone -- but since Apple bought the software when the 3GS was the current phone, then copying Microsoft is impossible, unless you're saying Microsoft had time travel and went forward to when Siri came out and developed... Nah.

Apple has had Voice Control, a pretty limited voice recognition. If TellMe is more than that, it's funny it hasn't been mentioned in reviews.
post #105 of 136
Mundie is referring to TellMe (which uses technology that Microsoft bought rather than invented but that's no different than Apple). TellMe does decent voice recognition (not as good as Siri but good enough) and that's it. All of the synbtax is pre-determined. For example, "Xbox, on, Kinect, Starwars". It's not exactly what you'd call natural language. It's also localized rather than leveraging a centralized data and computational resource. Siri will get better over time. You are stuck with the same stupid vocabulary for TellMe. Not to mention, since all of the searches are centralized Siri has the potential to displace Google as the preferred way for advertisers to do mobile advertising. Microsoft can only dream of having come up with such an elegant solution. As usual Microsoft jumped the gun and came up with a mediocre solution that barely works rather than thinking it through and innovating. Mundie should be ashamed of himself for even trying to compare the two.
post #106 of 136
There's a video for what this guy is sayin. He is either nuts or he doesn't know what hes talking about... Probably both!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoukZpMhDE
post #107 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Siri isn't just copied, they bought the original app, Siri, obviously intending to embed it in the next phone -- but since Apple bought the software when the 3GS was the current phone, then copying Microsoft is impossible, unless you're saying Microsoft had time travel and went forward to when Siri came out and developed... Nah.

Apple has had Voice Control, a pretty limited voice recognition. If TellMe is more than that, it's funny it hasn't been mentioned in reviews.

Tellme isn't any more than Voice Control. It completely lacks natural language recognition.
post #108 of 136
Here's a comparison chart that people have been asking about.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-773782.aspx
post #109 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

Here's a comparison chart that people have been asking about.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-773782.aspx

Nice list, but it still doesn't show how good Siri's natural voice comprehension is until you use it. I'd like to see a video demo of the same phrase stated a half-dozen different ways to see how advanced each of these services are.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #110 of 136
Quote:

Nice list, but it still doesn't show how good Siri's natural voice comprehension is until you use it. I'd like to see a video demo of the same phrase stated a half-dozen different ways to see how advanced each of these services are.

Yeah, that list kind of misses the point (a point which is being willfully missed by many commentators). What makes Siri a breakthrough is exactly its natural language parsing. It's not what it can do, it's how it does it.
post #111 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

There's a video for what this guy is sayin. He is either nuts or he doesn't know what hes talking about... Probably both!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoukZpMhDE

Thats more like it. Seeing both in action at the same time.
post #112 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero View Post

Mundie is referring to TellMe (which uses technology that Microsoft bought rather than invented but that's no different than Apple). TellMe does decent voice recognition (not as good as Siri but good enough) and that's it. All of the synbtax is pre-determined. For example, "Xbox, on, Kinect, Starwars". It's not exactly what you'd call natural language. It's also localized rather than leveraging a centralized data and computational resource. Siri will get better over time. You are stuck with the same stupid vocabulary for TellMe. Not to mention, since all of the searches are centralized Siri has the potential to displace Google as the preferred way for advertisers to do mobile advertising. Microsoft can only dream of having come up with such an elegant solution. As usual Microsoft jumped the gun and came up with a mediocre solution that barely works rather than thinking it through and innovating. Mundie should be ashamed of himself for even trying to compare the two.

I think Microsofties like Mundie aren't Apple fans, haven't actually used Siri, and once again fail to see the difference between what they *think* Siri is, and the voice command feature they've got. It's one of the ways Microsoft underestimates Apple. Which is dangerous, because consumers aren't nearly as dumb as Mundie thinks they are. Consumers get Siri. Mundie thinks it's just better marketing.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #113 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, that list kind of misses the point (a point which is being willfully missed by many commentators). What makes Siri a breakthrough is exactly its natural language parsing. It's not what it can do, it's how it does it.

I think that Siri may have started her holiday celebration a little early...

Here's an actulal exchange from yesterday:

"How are you today, Siri?"

"Finer than frog hair, Oh Omnipotent one!"

Really happened!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #114 of 136
The chart in a few posts previous indicates that Siri can only play music if it is already on your phone...

That's not quite true.

I have no music stored on an iP4S but am able to play music from iCloud with some limited success...

It appears that if Siri gets a quick answer from iCloud it will work OK.

"Siri, play anything by Ray Charles"

Siri: "Looking for 'Ray Charles'...

Siri: "OK, Ray Charles coming up..."

Ray Charles: "Your cheating hear will make you weept..."

"Play anything by Flip Wilson"

Siri: "Looking for 'Flip Wilson'...

Siri: "Sorry for the delay..."

Siri: "OK, Flip Wilson coming up..."

Flip Wilson: "Everyone has idols right? People that inspired them and drove them on to greater horizons... As a kid my idol, and he's still my idol ... Of all the great American heros, my idol is Christopher Colombus..."

Flip Wilson: "Siri gonna' find Ray Charles!"

This

post #115 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The chart in a few posts previous indicates that Siri can only play music if it is already on your phone...

That's not quite true.

I have no music stored on an iP4S but am able to play music from iCloud with some limited success...

It appears that if Siri gets a quick answer from iCloud it will work OK.

So if the tracks aren't on your device then where are they? Is Siri tying into iTunes Match and then downloading that file to your local device?

post #116 of 136
Quote:

So if the tracks aren't on your device then where are they? Is Siri tying into iTunes Match and then downloading that file to your local device?

We have about 15,000 songs on iCloud...

And there is no music synched to my iP4S.

So, aparrently, Siri checks to see if my iCloud has iTuns match... Then searches it...

You get a couple second delay when it finds the match and starts the buffered download?

I just double checked... If iTunes Match is turned on for Music on the device, you aren't even given the option in iTunes to sync music... Voice memos only.

The iTunes summary for the device show no music on the device.

post #117 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have about 15,000 songs on iCloud...

And there is no music synched to my iP4S.

So, aparrently, Siri checks to see if my iCloud has iTuns match... Then searches it...

You get a couple second delay when it finds the match and starts the buffered download?

I just double checked... If iTunes Match is turned on for Music on the device, you aren't even given the option in iTunes to sync music... Voice memos only.

The iTunes summary for the device show no music on the device.

I'm confused. So you can never have anything locally in iPod app, it all has to wait to be downloaded before it plays?

post #118 of 136
Quote:

I'm confused. So you can never have anything locally in iPod app, it all has to wait to be downloaded before it plays?

The download starts playing after 1-2 seconds... Or after enough is buffered. The download continues as the song is playing.

If you ask for a playlist or album, the first song starts playing, as above, then additional songs are downloaded as play continues.

Apparently the songs stay on the device (for a while or until SSD space is required). I don't know how the decision is made to purge songs.

You don't need to take my word for it... Try it for yourself... Just like I did.

post #119 of 136
It's called a marketing campaign Microsoft try using it
post #120 of 136
I have yet to meet a single person with a Windows phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year