or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked photos show Brazil-made 8GB iPhone 4 with custom model number

Leaked photos show Brazil-made 8GB iPhone 4 with custom model number

post #1 of 36
A set of recently-leaked photos depicts an 8GB iPhone 4 produced by Foxconn in Brazil and allegedly bearing a localized model number.

Though the 8GB iPhone 4 is not expected to go on sale in Brazil until the iPhone 4S arrives in the country, MacMagazine.br has received alleged early photos of the device from a reader. The back of the handset contains the words "Brazilian Industry" in Portuguese, as well as the stamp of approval from ANATEL, the country's telecommunications agency.

The iPhone 4 reportedly came with iOS 5.0 installed and carries a model number that ends with "BR," presumably indicating that the device was manufactured in Brazil. The most recent leak comes on the heels of last month's release of factory documentation for an 8GB iPhone 4 allegedly from Foxconn's facilities in Brazil. Shortly after that leak, Apple announced the 8GB iPhone 4 alongside the iPhone 4S.

Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn is said to be considering an investment as large as $12 billion on production facilities in Brazil. But, according a report from September, negotiations between the company and the government have stalled because of disagreements over tax rates, unprepared infrastructure and the lack of qualified workers.

The Brazilian Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation had previously said that the first iPads produced by Foxconn in the country would arrive in December. A "reliable source" told MacMagazine.br that "Made in Brazil" 8GB iPhone 4 units are also expected to hit the local market in December. Distribution will reportedly start in Sao Paulo, Brasilia and other major capitals first before gradually expanding to other cities in the country.

Localized Foxconn production of Apple products in Brazil may help the company circumvent sizable tariffs on imported electronics. After tax, some of Apple's devices in Brazil cost more than double their original retail price.

If the company's products arrived on the Brazilian market without import taxes, Apple's sales in the country could see rapid growth. Apple revealed last quarter that sales in Brazil had jumped up 118 percent year over year to pass the $900 million mark.

post #2 of 36
Indústria Brasileira, Os parabéns ao Brasil por estar a evoluir economicamente e socialmente, já nós por cá em Portugal estamo-nos a enterrar! Congratulations to Brasil!
post #3 of 36
Poor Brazilians. They probably think high tariffs will benefit their country. All it does is benefit the few who manufacture behind the tarif wall, while everyone else has less money for a narrower range of goods. Meanwhile, more and more resources in the economy get diverted to the products protected by the tarif wall. One day it all ends in tears. It's what happened in Australia years ago, and more recently in Ireland. You would think people would learn.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Indústria Brasileira, Os parabéns ao Brasil por estar a evoluir economicamente e socialmente, já nós por cá em Portugal estamo-nos a enterrar! Congratulations to Brasil!

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic. It isn't all that nice. We're actually really, really behind considering our potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Poor Brazilians. They probably think high tariffs will benefit their country. All it does is benefit the few who manufacture behind the tarif wall, while everyone else has less money for a narrower range of goods. Meanwhile, more and more resources in the economy get diverted to the products protected by the tarif wall. One day it all ends in tears. It's what happened in Australia years ago, and more recently in Ireland. You would think people would learn.

Not only you are only partially right (a small part at that), your tone is disgusting.

You also seem to forget that Australia is AKA The Best Country of The World. (Also if you're wondering, the USA isn't in the top 3 of that list. It's barely in the Top 20, actually)

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #5 of 36
Quote:

What a lot of right-wing ideological garbage. You don't know what you are talking about.

In this case, the tariffs apply to any industry that just wants to sell product to Brazilians without investing anything in the country itself. It's the very thing that caused Apple to make the plant in Brazil in the first place to avoid the tariffs, and in case you didn't notice ... it's working out rather well.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's the very thing that caused Apple

I think you mean Foxconn

Quote:
, and in case you didn't notice ... it's working out rather well.

Crazy thought, let's wait until the products are released before we judge if something is a success or not

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think you mean Foxconn

correct (Apple through Foxconn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Crazy thought, let's wait until the products are released before we judge if something is a success or not

I meant a success for Brazil, not for the consumers of the products. The tariffs "worked" in that they got Apple to build a factory in Brazil.

It will probably also "work" (in the future), for Apple's consumers and for the people of Brazil and other south American countries, as it allows Apple to flood that part of the world with cheap handsets, but that remains to be seen as you say.
post #8 of 36
Why doesn't it say "Assembled in Brazil"? Or put another way, China-made models don't say "Assembled in China" in Chinese. Seems very unlike Apple to have markings on their hardware in other language than English.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Why doesn't it say "Assembled in Brazil"? Or put another way, China-made models don't say "Assembled in China" in Chinese. Seems very unlike Apple to have markings on their hardware in other language than English.

At first iPhones were sold largely in the U.S. since it's apples home country. I believe there's a requirement to have the country an item was made in listed on that item.

I'm guessing that these will be sold mostly in South America so if any of those countries have similar requirements for labeling I suppose portuguese is what they go with.

Maybe it's just a requirement from brazil.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

Because the phones made in Brazil are exclusively for the Brazilian market, whereas the phones made in China are for the whole world.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

Because the phones made in Brazil are exclusively for the Brazilian market, whereas the phones made in China are for the whole world.

Do you know if the phones made in Brazil will be sold in other S. America countries?
post #12 of 36
Well apparently, China is not the only place that leaks will come out of now, great. Somebody needs to plug the holes, crack the whip and lay down the law.
post #13 of 36
Quote:

it's working out rather well.

We don't know that yet.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Somebody needs to plug the holes, crack the whip and lay down the law.

I think that they use machetes for that in Brazil.

post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I think that they use machetes for that in Brazil.

I have no idea what they use down in Brazil, but whatever they use, they should make use of it.

This is not some Android phones that we're talking about here. Nobody really cares about Android leaks. Apple has gotten way too lax with their security lately. From drunk and careless engineers in the US, to sneaky workers in China and Brazil, leaking Apple secrets should have deep consequences for all involved.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic. It isn't all that nice. We're actually really, really behind considering our potential.

Not only you are only partially right (a small part at that), your tone is disgusting.

You also seem to forget that Australia is AKA The Best Country of The World. (Also if you're wondering, the USA isn't in the top 3 of that list. It's barely in the Top 20, actually)

Disgusting? For pointing out that protectionism doesn't work? The reason Australia is doing well, now, is because we junked all those stupid policies forty years ago. Before then, we were paying a fortune for manufactured goods, with the result that a family's income could not buy the range of goods it can today, and it was harder for other businesses to boost their productivity and performance. Not everyone in Oz is a miner.

It is not disgusting to want others to learn from our mistakes.

We will see how much this is costing Brazilians when the price is released. As the article notes, Brazilans pay for the privilege of a tariff wall by paying up to twice as much as the world price for Apple products, along with all other sorts of electronics that could boost the productivity of their country. So the price of a locally made iPhone will be somewhere between the current price in Brazil and the world price. Just enough lower to make the masses happy, but noticeably higher than everyone else in the world. This extra 'economic rent' will mostly be to the benefit of Foxconn and Apple, with a small flow on to the workers in the mostly robotic factory.
post #17 of 36
Quote:

I have no idea what they use down in Brazil, but whatever they use, they should make use of it.

This is not some Android phones that we're talking about here. Nobody really cares about Android leaks. Apple has gotten way too lax with their security lately. From drunk and careless engineers in the US, to sneaky workers in China and Brazil, leaking Apple secrets should have deep consequences for all involved.

Seriously, you're like the Haruhi Suzumiya of Apple fans. We're all the SOS Brigade and you're the dyed-in-the-wool leader, energetic, convinced of Apple's rightness, Ultra Leader, leading the charge without so much as a second thought; the Apple idea just sounds so right.

Meanwhile, I'm Kyon. A believer of the system, but not ludicrous with my support. A supporter of Apple, but rational and able to remove myself from the situation. Basically, my type reins in your type.

No, I'm not suggesting you're a woman, and no, I'm not suggesting that we're to be married. The analogy ends at the superficial (and specific to this one instance) personality level.

As to the leaks, yeah, Apple needs to prevent another Gizmodo farce. But the little leaks? Like when we saw the leaked unibody shells before the first ones came out? They drive the rumor mill. It's good for Apple.

And it's good for us, because otherwise the only thing we have to go on are IDIOTIC publications by newspapers and 'analysts' that know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 36
Brazil has some mighty fine looking women. A brazilian women with an iPhone 4. Momamia.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seriously, you're like the Haruhi Suzumiya of Apple fans. We're all the SOS Brigade and you're the dyed-in-the-wool leader, energetic, convinced of Apple's rightness, Ultra Leader, leading the charge without so much as a second thought; the Apple idea just sounds so right.

Meanwhile, I'm Kyon. A believer of the system, but not ludicrous with my support. A supporter of Apple, but rational and able to remove myself from the situation. Basically, my type reins in your type.

No, I'm not suggesting you're a woman, and no, I'm not suggesting that we're to be married. The analogy ends at the superficial (and specific to this one instance) personality level.

I'd never heard of those people that you're talking about before, but a quick check on Google told me that they are Anime characters. It's not surprising that I had never heard of them before, since I know pretty much nothing about Anime.

I think that you might have a false impression of me though, If you believe that I'm some fanatical Apple supporter who thinks that Apple can do no wrong. I do think that they do many more things right than wrong, but they have certainly had a few missteps in the past, and I can be critical of them when necessary. Just to prove that I can criticize Apple, here's a few things that I can remember off the top of my head that is worthy of criticism.
  • Apple handled the scalper situation in a weak and unsatisfactory manner. They could have been much more forceful and implemented stronger rules, such as limiting sales to one per person. If a family needs more than one device, then they need to send more bodies down to the store so that they can purchase more. This would also cut into scalper's profits and make things more difficult for them. They could also have more security outside watching and monitoring the lines for scalpers.
  • I remember the hockey puck mouse that came with one of the first iMacs when it was released. I had one of those iMacs. As a matter of fact I still have it and it still works perfectly. That mouse may have looked ok and matched the iMac, but it was horrible, one of the worst mice ever made and a real pain to use. It was the opposite of ergonomic. My magic trackpad today more than makes up for that blunder though.
  • Ipods are great, I have one of those too. The headphones are however not that great and I find them to be useless. Buying third party headphones is a must, if you ask me.
  • It is cheap of Apple to only provide their accessories in white, and with all the money that Apple has, they do not need to be cheap. Not everybody has or likes white Macs. I happen to prefer black over white usually and since Apple is so concerned with design and style, I find it outrageous that they only offer their accessories in white. How about making black power supplies and black cables that will match black Apple products?
Those are just a few criticisms that I have of Apple that I can think of at the moment. They are relatively minor issues, but it proves that I can be critical of Apple sometimes at least.

Quote:

As to the leaks, yeah, Apple needs to prevent another Gizmodo farce. But the little leaks? Like when we saw the leaked unibody shells before the first ones came out? They drive the rumor mill. It's good for Apple.

Let's take the iPad 3 for example. That is going to be the next highly anticipated Apple product. If it's true that it's going to have an ultra-high resolution display, then that is going to be insane, and the demand for it is going to be unlike anything else. I don't mind shooting the breeze and speculating about it, but I honestly don't want to see exactly what it looks like before it's being presented during the keynote. That would take all of the excitement away.

Quote:

And it's good for us, because otherwise the only thing we have to go on are IDIOTIC publications by newspapers and 'analysts' that know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I totally agree with you that many of the morons who write for publications and especially the analysts are extremely clueless people.

Much of my extremely strong Apple stance on these forums has more to do with Fandroid infiltrators rather than me being a blind fanatic.
post #20 of 36
Apple][ if your not a fanatical supporter of apple then the word fanatic has lost all meaning, in my opinion. Even fandroids would be off the hook.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Apple][ if your not a fanatical supporter of apple then the word fanatic has lost all meaning, in my opinion. Even fandroids would be off the hook.

You're not going to be seeing me lining up outside any Apple stores, camping and waiting around.

I am a big fan of Apple products, I am no fanatic.
post #22 of 36
"How will they know I've upgraded if it looks the same?"

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

"How will they know I've upgraded if it looks the same?"

"Why would they care if I've upgraded if it's a Samsung?"

post #24 of 36
Quote:

Let's take the iPad 3 for example. That is going to be the next highly anticipated Apple product. If it's true that it's going to have an ultra-high resolution display, then that is going to be insane, and the demand for it is going to be unlike anything else.

Three manufactures are rumoured at this point for the display. I understand that is normal, especially for the YoY grow rate these products are seeing, but I can't help but wonder about quality/performance differences between component manufactures. Even now with the SSD card in the MBAs you want Samsung over Toshiba. A bit of a positional good if you can tell you have one of the lesser manufactures so I hope Apple will not release these unless they tightened up their display variances.

Are any OLED manufactures coming close to an ≈10" option that will have a 265ppi display with or without PenTile sub-pixel counting?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #25 of 36
Quote:

You're not going to be seeing me lining up outside any Apple stores, camping and waiting around.

I am a big fan of Apple products, I am no fanatic.

Right. And I'm the king of England.
post #26 of 36
Quote:

Right. And I'm the king of England.

A monarch and a doctor. I'm not sure I could kneel and turn my head to cough while you examine the family jewels. \

Seriously though, this whole thing about waiting in line means you're this or that is silly. It's about supply and demand. It's that simple. With Apple typically releasing a new product once a year and demand worldwide far outstripping supply for at several months after launch it's no wonder some are willing to wait in line for a short time instead of waiting for weeks after buying online for a delivery or for month on the off chance it'll be on the shelves the next time they go shopping.

There was a recent article that showed that Apple only 3 different models selling YoY compared to dozens from Samsung, just in the US. You can't expect to have any sort of attraction to a model when your brand is so diluted.

post #27 of 36
Quote:

"Why would they care if I've upgraded if it's a Samsung?"

Thanks I nearly spat my champagne haha
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A monarch and a doctor. I'm not sure I could kneel and turn my head to cough while you examine the family jewels. \

Seriously though, this whole thing about waiting in line means you're this or that is silly. It's about supply and demand. It's that simple. With Apple typically releasing a new product once a year and demand worldwide far outstripping supply for at several months after launch it's no wonder some are willing to wait in line for a short time instead of waiting for weeks after buying online for a delivery or for month on the off chance it'll be on the shelves the next time they go shopping.

There was a recent article that showed that Apple only 3 different models selling YoY compared to dozens from Samsung, just in the US. You can't expect to have any sort of attraction to a model when your brand is so diluted.

*puts away scepter*

Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit *snaps on white latex gloves* I'm a professional.

Lots of people wait in lines for lots of things. Sports, music, Disneyland... I haven't waited in line for an apple product but it seems like it could be fun. As long as it's not too cold. And I had coffee. Seems like a good opportunity for...let's see, what was that called again, oh ya human interaction, in the flesh. Computers and now smartphones sure have taken over our lives the past couple decades no matter what brand one uses, not that I'm complaining. There are countless benefits. But it would do us all some good to get some fresh air and maybe a little exercise.
Hmmm, better make that king/doctor/mommy.

Edit: standing in line definatly isn't definitive of a fanatic. See post #25 but replace the word no with the word a.

I saw that comparison. A stark contrast. They have to see that as a problem by now I would think? I would hope.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
The iPhone 4 reportedly came with iOS 5.0 installed and carries a model number with a "BR" appendage, presumably indicating that the device was manufactured in Brazil....

Not necessarily, I know for a fact at least one model sold in Malaysia carries the MY appendage as seen on the very same info page on that model. In the UK, it is B. I presume it is something to do with the default OS language or most likely, just the market it is intended for and not 'manufactured in ...' as the article suggested.
post #30 of 36
Quote:

Do you know if the phones made in Brazil will be sold in other S. America countries?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

Quote:

I'm guessing that these will be sold mostly in South America so if any of those countries have similar requirements for labeling I suppose portuguese is what they go with.

Portuguese is only used in Brazil. The rest of South America uses Spanish, so that doesn't make any sense.

As I said in my original post, the phones are likely to be sold exclusively in Brazil. They're only being made there to get around Brazil's high tariffs for imported goods.
post #31 of 36
Quote:

I don't know, but I doubt it.

Portuguese is only used in Brazil. The rest of South America uses Spanish, so that doesn't make any sense.

As I said in my original post, the phones are likely to be sold exclusively in Brazil. They're only being made there to get around Brazil's high tariffs for imported goods.

That's interesting. I would think with the much closer proximity of brazil to other S. American countries that they would ship from there instead of china. But I've been wrong before.
post #32 of 36
Quote:

That's interesting. I would think with the much closer proximity of brazil to other S. American countries that they would ship from there instead of china. But I've been wrong before.

Brazil is geographically much closer to the US than China, but the US is still going to get phones made in China and not Brazil.
post #33 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

Brazil is geographically much closer to the US than China, but the US is still going to get phones made in China and not Brazil.

It all depends on whether Chinese manufacture+ freight <= Brazilian manufacture+freight.

I suspect it will still be cheaper to source from China. So it won't happen unless the volumes required for the Brazil factory to function efficiently warrant some form of loss making in neighbouring countries ....They can always make that up with an increased Brazilian price set somewhere below the tariff level.
post #34 of 36
Quote:

That seems like a poor reason. The u.s. is apples home turf with more sales than you would want to saddle a new factory with supplying. South America probably has alot of sales too so I don't expect a new factory to just start supplying the whole continent overnight. Would foxconn(with apples help i think)build a factory in a country for selling just to that one country? I've always had thoughts (not sure why, maybe just an assumption)that both those companies and Brazil wanted it to be a manufacturing hub for the continent. Over time of course.
post #35 of 36
Trust me, the primary function of that factory, for now at least, is supplying Brazil only. China's manufactoring costs are much lower than ours.

post #36 of 36
Quote:

You're spot on, but you forgot someone else it benefits: Government officials who are on the take. All these taxes and terrifies are payoffs for politicians. That's why they're politicians in the first place-- to steal money.

Quote:

Its disgusting to lament how brazilians are being ripped off by their own government?

Quote:

What a lot of right-wing ideological garbage. You don't know what you are talking about.

If that was ideological garbage, you could show where he made an error. If he didn't know what he was talking about, it would quickly become obvious from you showering him with facts and argument. Since you produce neither, you are as much as admitting that all you have is the regurgitations of your ideology, which you use in place of thinking.

Quote:
In this case, the tariffs apply to any industry that just wants to sell product to Brazilians without investing anything in the country itself.

Selling something to brazilians *IS* investing in the country. Of course, to people like you, giving advanced technology to people who need it is some sort of a crime, if you do it for profit.

Quote:
It's the very thing that caused Apple to make the plant in Brazil in the first place to avoid the tariffs, and in case you didn't notice ... it's working out rather well.

Its working out great for the government and all the other thugs and grafters who are able, exactly like parasites, to extract part of the profits Apple is making for themselves.

It isn't great for the brazilians who have their costs more than doubled when they buy competing products that aren't able to afford the graft and theft of the parasites.

Quote:

You're not going to be seeing me lining up outside any Apple stores, camping and waiting around. I am a big fan of Apple products, I am no fanatic.

I'm pretty sure others would call me a fanatic, but I've never lined up outside an apple store.

Quote:

Trust me, the primary function of that factory, for now at least, is supplying Brazil only. China's manufactoring costs are much lower than ours.

Yep, its just to get around the BS tariffs the brazilian government has imposed on its people.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Leaked photos show Brazil-made 8GB iPhone 4 with custom model number