or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religious Atrocity Vol 1: "We 100% can cure your HIV!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Religious Atrocity Vol 1: "We 100% can cure your HIV!" - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

An assertion would be simply "God exists." But that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that based on my experiences and thoughts on the issue, I BELIEVE God exists.

That sure seems like a distinction without a difference. A semantics game and nothing more.

Quote:
By contrast, you are free to believe I'm crazy.

It's not solely your belief in a deity that leads me toward a conclusion like that.

Quote:
What I take issue with is your behavior on the boards. It is not your right to run around personally attacking every poster with whom you disagree on this issue,

What you take as personal attacks are merely appeals to consistency and clarification. It is not my fault that religious people here tend to have very, very thin skin.

Quote:
particularly when the thread in question has nothing to do with religion. What you are basically doing is dismissing ANY and ALL opinions of the 6 Billion people on earth that believe in God.

Begging the question that I dismiss any and all opinions of every believer. Incorrect. Logical flaw on your part. Are we allowed to apply logic here or is it off limits to you in this discussion, too?


Quote:
My evidence is much more than wishful thinking. I've had personal experiences over the years, as have my family and friends. I won't present them here for two reasons 1) They are quite personal and are things I'd rather keep to myself and 2) As much as you claim otherwise, you are the furthest thing from open-minded. Your biased view will ensure that you attack each experience and try to "explain" it in your narrow-minded terms. It's really a waste of time.

So, some stuff happened that you can't explain without invoking a deity. You either don't want to look for a more reasonable, natural explanation or you can't think of one so you default to god. Got it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #42 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I have not asserted that we have explained "everything" scientifically ... there will always be more to research and discover.
What I DID say, is that EVERY time we look into some phenomena long enough to find an answer... that answer has NEVER been "God." So as time moves on, and our knowledge base increases, we find that the idea of a god is responsible for less and less of our world...

Just because millions of people around the world profess to believe in a god does NOT mean that (or any) god exists. That you would thinks so shows a fundamental flaw in your ability to reason.

Six billion people can't be wrong is essentially his argument. Except, even that flawed appeal to the masses is further flawed. Those six billion people do not all believe in the same god. They believe in many different gods with many different origins, many different powers, and many different ways of allegedly interacting with the human race. Those six billion people often have contradictory and mutually exclusive beliefs. Let's not even mention the rich history of thousands of deities that had been worshiped with the same conviction as SDW worships his Christ. It's utterly laughable.

What allows this bullshit to perpetuate? The notion that it's impolite to question someone's religious beliefs. Fuck that. That's a defense mechanism to attempt to defend the indefensible.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I have not asserted that we have explained "everything" scientifically ... there will always be more to research and discover.
What I DID say, is that EVERY time we look into some phenomena long enough to find an answer... that answer has NEVER been "God." So as time moves on, and our knowledge base increases, we find that the idea of a god is responsible for less and less of our world...

Your bias really shows here. You're presuming that the main basis for belief in God is scientific ignorance. That is only partially true.

Quote:

Just because millions of people around the world profess to believe in a god does NOT mean that (or any) god exists.

I agree. You're missing the point.

Quote:
That you would thinks so shows a fundamental flaw in your ability to reason.

I don't think so, and have stated as much multiple times. The reason I bring up the number of believers is to illustrate your arrogance and hubris. You honestly believe your critical reasoning skills and general intelligence exceeds that of 6 billion people, simply because they believe in something you don't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

That sure seems like a distinction without a difference. A semantics game and nothing more.

Aren't we discussing semantics, really? You're posting dictionary definitions of terms, and I'm the one playing semantics?

Quote:

It's not solely your belief in a deity that leads me toward a conclusion like that.

Perfect example of a veiled personal attack. You are incapable of discussing anything without at least two or three of those.

Quote:


What you take as personal attacks are merely appeals to consistency and clarification.


BS.

Quote:
It is not my fault that religious people here tend to have very, very thin skin.

First, I'm not religious per se. Secondly, I disagree. Religious people I've encountered seem to exceptionally thick skin. They endure constant attacks by people like you, the media, etc. And most of them still keep smiling.

Quote:

Begging the question that I dismiss any and all opinions of every believer. Incorrect. Logical flaw on your part. Are we allowed to apply logic here or is it off limits to you in this discussion, too?

You've openly done so on multiple occasions. You did it recently in the Herman Cain thread. Come on BR, try harder.

Quote:

So, some stuff happened that you can't explain without invoking a deity. You either don't want to look for a more reasonable, natural explanation or you can't think of one so you default to god. Got it.

Exactly as I presumed you would respond. The false assumption you make is that people who believe in God don't look for other explanations. You believe they are willfully ignorant. In reality, the opposite is often true.
It certainly is in my case. Looking back at what I've experienced in my life, I've considered many explanations for many different things. I've considered natural explanations, scientific explanations and coincidences. In short, I've concluded there is a God despite these considerations. And this is what you simply cannot understand...that an intelligent person who embraces science, critical thinking and the modern world comes to a different conclusion on faith than you do. It simply blows your mind, and causes you to lash out in tantric fashion.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #44 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It simply blows your mind, and causes you to lash out in tantric fashion.

So that's what this is all about. I had a feeling you wanted me like that. Sorry SDW, I like you...but I don't like you that way.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So that's what this is all about. I had a feeling you wanted me like that. Sorry SDW, I like you...but I don't like you that way.

Crap. I blew that one.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #46 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Crap. I blew that one.

No means no.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No means no.

Well done. I have no idea why I used that word. How about them Bears?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religious Atrocity Vol 1: "We 100% can cure your HIV!"