or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple: The Most Undervalued Large-Cap Stock in America
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple: The Most Undervalued Large-Cap Stock in America - Page 4

post #121 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I've pretty much given up hope of Apple getting any respect from Wall Street no matter how much revenue Apple earns.


Apple is just like Rodney Dangerfield!

They don't get no respect, no respect at all!
post #122 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

But if Apple doesn't pay dividends, what do sales and earnings have to do with stock price? Stockholders aren't getting a dime of that money.

Correct. They are speculating that the shares themselves will increase in value, and that they will be able to sell them for a capital gain, rather than buying them to generate investment income.

Stock buyers treat Apple like it is a growth company.
post #123 of 214
There are some legitimate reasons why some will devalue the stock.
1. Price is too high except for institutional investors. A stock split would increase the number of shareholders. More buyers will see the P/E ratio as attractive.
2. Even at current stock price its capilization it huge. Double the stock price and it becomes incomprehensible, there is more room to down than up.
3. A lot of investors see Apple as a one trick pony. If the "i" fad goes out of favor then there is a long way to fall.

Personally I'm a bit worried about number 3 but Apple continues to amaze.
post #124 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I'll be the cynic here. So who is this guy. He's the guy that if you go to his website and give him $150/mo. he will share this type of information with you. He will tell you on his website that they started back in 2008 and have stellar predictive results since. Three years and running. He is predicting that the stock of one of the most successful companies is going to go up! He is a graduate of UCLA law school and now a Wall Street guy. So now we are going to start listening again to lawyers and Wall street types? Will America ever learn.

So since the author is a lawyer and a Wall street guy, we just plain ignore ALL his facts and numbers and do the same for ALL lawyers and Wall street guys: is that what you're advising America to learn?
post #125 of 214
I am interested in Stock Exchange (but not Apple share holder). I think I can understand some of the twisted purely financial logic, which explains the situation (and which has been explained through some of the previous posts). Yet, what I fail to understand is that, obviously, Apple's insolent success, in a time of recession, necessarily finds a counterpart in its competitors hard time (as any observer can figure out). I thought that the principle of investors choice was to bet on success, and move away from unsuccess, right ?
post #126 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

But I know a great many people who now won't touch AAPL stock.

Think about that statement. Here we have a company that has not only been growing dramatically fast, but is even growing the rate of its own growth, and at the same time, despite being a tech stock is not over valued. I remember when Google and Amazon, and all those "darlings" were valued at 400 times earnings, and at that time they weren't growing as fast as Apple is growing now.

If Apple were priced like that, the stock would be $17,600 per share! Yet, I know a great many people who were falling all over themselves to buy mediocre companies at an equivalent of $17,600 a share!

People confuse the market with reality. The market is merely a price clearing mechanism. If nobody shows up to buy something, then its price will fall. If the item in question is Ferraris, are you going to say "Wow, Ferraris used to be really fancy, but now they're ugly cause they only cost $20,000!"

Pretty absurd, no? Its this lemming like behavior that provides great opportunities in the market for people who are rational.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Part of the problem is the Stock market has long since drifted from a place to invest money. Investing means contributing money to a company to help it grow and to benefit from that "investment" if the company does in fact grow. Now, however, with the concept of short selling (and all the off shoots of that) the stock market has become nothing more than legalized gambling.

Wrong. You're a gambler because you don't know what you're doing and you wasted money. Because you wasted money by spending it on an asset you couldn't be bothered to research, you lost the money.... as well you should.

That doesn't mean the rest of us are being as stupid with our money.

I take extremely aggressive positions. Ones people like you would think are akin to gambling, but I have no interest in gambling. Gambling is where you don't control the situation and you have no way of knowing what the risks are, but you spend the money anyway.

Investing is where you've priced in the risk, found that there's an upside, and known how much you were going to make, conservatively, before you invested.

That's the key. IF you know in advance what your position is going to be worth, then you're investing.

Most people can't be bothered to do simple math.

And that's why great companies like Apple are on sale, giving people like me the ability to make money with no risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude127 View Post

Come on...this article isn't going to help Apple...various companies had got their peak era and then fell down...Apple days are over...the 'i' is soon going to be replaced.

I find it hilarious that haters will say Apple "fell down" when its growing at %90 a year! Most companies never achieve that in their lives, and for most stocks, a reliable %25 growth would make them a fantastic investment.

Yet Apple, guiding at %80 for the next quarter has "fell down".

The internet-- where I go to watch idiots in their natural habitat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Why does this stock booster article (by a company that owns stock) claim P/E of 8.25 on the front page when the actual P/E is 13?

P/E can be calculated multiple ways, for instance, on the trailing 4 quarters earnings, or on the projected next 4 quarters earnings, or by taking the current quarters earnings and multiplying it by 4.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

None of them are Apple founders. Steve died. Apple's brass are business leaders exactly like every other business leader.

If you believe this, Sell your apple stock now. As far as I'm concerned, Apple went under in the 1990s and Apple now is Apple 2.0, a company built from scratch from the ruins of the old Apple. Its founders include Jonny Ive and Tim Cook.
post #127 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Apple might also be compared to a luxury goods brand, something like an expensive designer clothes, spirits or watch manufacturer. Yet comparing those P/Es won't work either. People typically buy computers more often than really expensive watches, while much less often than clothes or spirits. How many designer clothes can you have in your wardrobe compared to mobile phones in your bag?


Apple's computer business can be compared to other luxury consumer durables companies, like KitchenAid . Apple's consumer gadget business can be compared to other CE companies.
post #128 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Wow.....amazing what you get here on these interwebs....financial advice on a Apple fanboy site...

Someone should check how much Apple stock this Zaky guy owns, and what his vested interests are in this...

I love the Envy Boys. They are so tiresome and predictable. There is honour in being an Apple Fan just as there is honour in being a fan of most kinds. Standing for something that is measurably credible is noble compared to naysaying without foundation. Negative spiel based upon envy, garners neither honour nor regard when crying from under those loathsome rocks they lie.

Now that was fun, Envy Boy.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #129 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ris1 View Post

So since the author is a lawyer and a Wall street guy, we just plain ignore ALL his facts and numbers and do the same for ALL lawyers and Wall street guys: is that what you're advising America to learn?

I am not suggesting you ignore what he is telling you about Apple. It is the second recommendation that he makes, that I would worry about. He gave the easy slam dunk recommendation away for free.
Are you a lawyer or a Wall St. guy? I can't think of anyone other than the same who would defend their integrity.
post #130 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post


...Apple gets a bum rap...

... Apple hating consumers ...


We need to keep fighting for what is good and right and decent in this world. We need to turn the forces of darkness back, and to drive the haters into the netherworld from whence they came.

Apple forever! Keep up the good fight!
post #131 of 214
Disclaimer: The author probably has stock in Apple...
post #132 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

I agree the stock is completely undervalued, as the article points out again, and again, and again. And as anyone who is so inclined can see for themselves if they analyzed Apple's 10q/k's (tip of the hat to Andy for doing the extensive amount of legwork, though).

I'd be much more interested in a discussion of just WHY apple is so undervalued and why the CNBC-types are so useless (the story that iPod sales are slowing is a tragic miscarriage of journalism and the reporters / producers of that segment should be fired). So, why are they so bad? Why is the stock so undervalued?

i think Jobs saw the market much as he saw the news media: a bunch of idiotic gossipers. The day they momentarily became the most valuable company in the world, he felt good, but only because his board would leave him alone. To him it was a game, and as a Zen buddhist, concentrating on stock evaluation was an illusion. The worth of Apple is from the machines they make.

The question I always ask is, how does somebody make money from Apple? They buy low and keep it until they retire. It's the latest safe investment. Maybe. Like the computer industry is scrutable.

To drive the stock price higher, they would need to declare dividends. Of course, they'd have to learn to share with gambler-- er, investors. And become an operation where they just milk the cash cow, and slow down innovation. Jobs destroyed products like the mini for the nano. What? Risky move! We'd rather have the coupons to clip.

But buying Apple and hanging on still seems like a good long-term investment.
post #133 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

i think Jobs saw the market much as he saw the news media: a bunch of idiotic gossipers. The day they momentarily became the most valuable company in the world, he felt good, but only because his board would leave him alone. To him it was a game, and as a Zen buddhist, concentrating on stock evaluation was an illusion. The worth of Apple is from the machines they make.

The question I always ask is, how does somebody make money from Apple? They buy low and keep it until they retire. It's the latest safe investment. Maybe. Like the computer industry is scrutable.

To drive the stock price higher, they would need to declare dividends. Of course, they'd have to learn to share with gambler-- er, investors. And become an operation where they just milk the cash cow, and slow down innovation. Jobs destroyed products like the mini for the nano. What? Risky move! We'd rather have the coupons to clip.

But buying Apple and hanging on still seems like a good long-term investment.

Fully agree +1 ( I hope you do not possess Apple share, though, some people here could question your integrity ...)
post #134 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I love the Envy Boys. They are so tiresome and predictable. There is honour in being an Apple Fan just as there is honour in being a fan of most kinds. Standing for something that is measurably credible is noble compared to naysaying without foundation. Negative spiel based upon envy, garners neither honour nor regard when crying from under those loathsome rocks they lie.

Now that was fun, Envy Boy.

And I love the Fan Boys.....

Perhaps those who are supposedly being envious are just annoyed that someone dispensing financial advice doesn't preface the article with whether or not they own Apple stock.
post #135 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Are you a lawyer or a Wall St. guy? I can't think of anyone other than the same who would defend their integrity.

You remind me of people in the past who would say things like: "Are you a jew or a gypsy? I can't think of anyone other than the same who would defend their integrity".

And for the very same reasons. Ignorant of history, doomed to repeat it.
post #136 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Disclaimer: The author probably has stock in Apple...

You act as if this is some sort of secret. The author has stock in apple, and has never tried to hide it.

The people you shouldn't take advice from are those who don't have the courage of their convictions. Someone recommending the stock but isn't buying it themselves? So, what is their recommendation really worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

We need to keep fighting for what is good and right and decent in this world. We need to turn the forces of darkness back, and to drive the haters into the netherworld from whence they came.

Apple forever! Keep up the good fight!

Don't get emotional about stock. My investment thesis for Apple has no assumption that Apple ill ever get a "fair" P/E.

Having a floor on the P/E just reduces risk for me... I don't need Apple to ever by "fairly" valued.


[QUOTE=Swift;1996461]i think Jobs saw the market much as he saw the news media: a bunch of idiotic gossipers. [quote]

This is how I see the world-- a bunch of idiots. Idiots in government, running most companies, posting on the internet, and certainly, those in the media are idiots.

This is good for investing, because it lets you focus on the fundamentals, buy while the idiots are running for the door.

Quote:
The question I always ask is, how does somebody make money from Apple? They buy low and keep it until they retire.

Because apple doesn't split these day,s there never is a "low" because they think $400 is expensive for a single share. Idiots don't understand splits.

You can also buy call options, or buy out of the money calls and sell further out of the money calls. So, for $3 you can buy the spread between $400-$410. Given Apple's volatility, the two earnings releases between now and then (or so) and the fact that its already seen $420.... when it hits $410 again, that spread is selling for $9, you close out your position and you're up %300 in 6 months, a %600 annualized return. But you have to be objective, careful and disciplined to do that. You have to be willing to lose %100 of your money some times against making %300 (so you never put it all into a single position.)

Quote:
To drive the stock price higher, they would need to declare dividends.

Dividends would be foolish. Apple has better use for the money and a better return on it. Dividends are the sign that the company has given up or is run by idiots.

They could split the stock-- that's neutral, and would result in a lot more people piling on. If they split it 10/1 people would say "Apple at $45 is cheap!" where they were saying "Apple at $450, that' expensive!" Because people are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Fully agree +1 ( I hope you do not possess Apple share, though, some people here could question your integrity ...)

I question the integrity of people who can't argue to the point, but instead argue to the person by asking if the person making the points has apple shares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Perhaps those who are supposedly being envious are just annoyed that someone dispensing financial advice doesn't preface the article with whether or not they own Apple stock.

There was no financial advice in that article. He never said to buy Apple stock or at what price, or to take any financial position. He just analyzed the stock and presented facts. If you're rational, you can check his facts and consider his argument... but you're not rational, you're an idiot.
post #137 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And I love the Fan Boys.....

Perhaps those who are supposedly being envious are just annoyed that someone dispensing financial advice doesn't preface the article with whether or not they own Apple stock.

Possibly the eye roller should read the whole article. As most financial articles, its stock standing comes at the end of the article.

Quoted from end of article: Andy M. Zaky is a fund manager at Bullish Cross Capital, an Appleinsider contributor and runs the financial newsletter, Bullish Cross. Bullish Cross Capital owns Apple as a major holding in the portfolio

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #138 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenS View Post

So what are you going to do about it other than "piss and moan". Seriously, all you whining sycophants can protest all you want, but welcome to reality. Yes, AAPL is hugely undervalued from a fundamental perspective and yes, that hurts as I am Long but I am not a little baby crying "Wah, Wah !!". This is the stock market - we are playing with adults in a large group who do not care about each of us individually. If they don't want to buy AAPL and that causes us pain, then so be it ... none of us were forced to "invest" in the share market, and all this crying about how unfairly we are being treated by some anonymous, amorphous large group of other people is neither helpful nor mature. Stock market = risks. Perform Due Dilligence, BUT understand this may not be enough - even people who can card count must lose a hand or two in the casino.

Problem is that your playing ground is The central part of Western economy. Fact people are twisting real facts to earn fast cash is hurting everybody with true interest in THE economy at large. If this game isn't put under controll the Western way of doing business Will end.
post #139 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

There are some legitimate reasons why some will devalue the stock.
1. Price is too high except for institutional investors. A stock split would increase the number of shareholders. More buyers will see the P/E ratio as attractive.
2. Even at current stock price its capilization it huge. Double the stock price and it becomes incomprehensible, there is more room to down than up.
3. A lot of investors see Apple as a one trick pony. If the "i" fad goes out of favor then there is a long way to fall.

Personally I'm a bit worried about number 3 but Apple continues to amaze.

1. Any investor worth their salt knows that it's the value of the stock that matters, not price. And if you look at the ownership of most stocks, the majority is made up of institutional investors.

2. This doesn't make any sense. Capitalization is the stock price multiplied by number of shares outstanding. I don't understand where you're going with number 2.

3. That's utter BS. Apple is not a one-trick pony. In their product portfolio, they have Macs, iPads, iPhones, and iPods. They also sell software. How does that make Apple a "one-trick pony?" Apple is not a one-trick pony.
post #140 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Apple investors are waiting for the *next big thing*. All of the great revenue generators have already been released, and, therefore, blessed by the great Jobs while he was still alive. Stock price is about the future. Wall Street needs to see a great new iPad 3, a great new radically refreshed iPhone and the next sales growth generator......the new, non-hobby AppleTV.

The product pipeline has already been laid for the next 5 years, IMHO. Wall Street and investors need to see those future products and have them light the world on fire, like is expected of Apple, before they jump in head-first again. Until then, they'll only be getting their toes wet by very conservatively following Apple's sales revenue dollars (and margin) with their investment dollars....hence the current P/E compression.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: The stock has been undervalued ever since Wall Street had the prospect of Apple without Steve Jobs in the back of their mind, which has been fueled by the health rumor mill for many, many years......since the 'C' word was brought to light.

What "next big thing" do investors expect out of Amazon that they're ready to pay 100x earnings for it?
post #141 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

the underwhelming launch of the iPhone 4S didn't help.

How many companies would kill for such an "underwhelming" launch? Just about any of them?

Quote:
And yes, I'm well aware of the spin of the fastest selling iPhone ever

What you really mean is "damn those inconvenient facts"

Quote:
-- a complete miracle considering it went on sale in far more countries the first day than the iPhone 4 did.

Why is it a miracle? Because it blows your whole "underwhelming" thesis out of the water?

And could it be they launched in more countries than the iPhone 4 because, oh, I don't know - they anticipated demand and scaled up?

Shh - don't tell Gatorguy that - his head will explode.

You two make a matched pair

Quote:
The percentage growth rate AAPL has been on has been stunning, to be sure. But the low P/E indicates that the market, as a whole, thinks the ride is over and that kind of growth is not going to continue. Especially sans Jobs.

Yup, and exactly how many more years of accelerating growth do you think it will be before that rubber band snaps and reality catches up? Apple has just started with iOS devices - the potential market for them is huge - orders of magnitude larger than PC sales ever were.

Quote:
But I know a great many people who now won't touch AAPL stock.

Yes, in the future they will be referred to as regretful.

I need another Apple product launch to cause another temporary dip so I can pick up more cheap shares...
post #142 of 214
The most common objection I hear from people about the long term prospects of Apple stock is that for AAPL stock to double in price, the company has to deliver the equivalent of another Apple, Inc., and so how could that be possible?

The analogy is like "Look, you already have a 98 year old man here, and even though he is in superb health, and might live another couple of years, surely he is not going to live to be 200 years old!"

What people and especially fund managers don't realize is that Apple is not a 98 year old man, but probably more like a 50 year old guy that is moving with the athleticism, agility and strength of a 20 year old.

As independent bloggers like Andy Zaky, Daniel Tello and Horace Horace have repeatedly shown, Apple indeed could generate another Apple's worth of revenues and earnings, even with all the escalating competition all around.

Unfortunately, that message has not gotten around, so there are skeptics all over the place. It certainly doesn't help when talking heads on CNBC keep propping up every piece of LCD as an "iPad Killer" ad nauseum.

Unfortunately, Apple, the company itself, is doing nothing to help out the shareholders. Steve Jobs never cared for Wall Street, and disdained people who were in it for the money. However, that approach is inappropriate today, given Apple's market cap.

A key part of being a public company involves at least an effort on the part of the company to make existing shareholders comfortable with the company, and attract new investors. Part of the job function for Tim Cook is to build up the price of the stock. I am not proposing hyping up the stock price, but the company has to at least let the stock price rise above its deeply depressed levels.

That means being a little more visible to the investment community, providing a little more upbeat vision for the company, placing a put under the market by announcing a share buy back, periodically splitting the stock, and spending money on a few PR programs to build a little buzz about the stock. Surely, Apple needs no education on building a little buzz.

I am not one of those calling for a cash payout or dividend, because I believe Apple is still a growth story and not a dividend story. But the company has to do a few things to make the markets understand that Apple is still a growth story.

This is actually very important for the future of Apple, as a company, as well. Because if the stock continues to languish at absurdly low prices, and the PE ratio keeps getting compressed quarter after quarter, soon it will have a huge demoralizing effect on the employee base.

Like it or not, employees of the company need to pay their mortgages, send their kids to school and save a nest egg for retirement. Sooner or later, people will start realizing that their hard work and effort will have far greater upside at other companies than at Apple, and that could lead to a growing exodus of talent, as the best and the brightest are always the first ones to leave. So by not having the stock perform well, Apple seriously risks losing key talent.

Apple has the potential to become the world's first Trillion dollar market cap company. By any objective criteria, Apple should already be in the $600-700 billion range in market cap. The stock is trading at half its value, even by conservative estimates, and this is not healthy for the company's employees and shareholders.

Kudos to Andy Zaky and the independent bloggers for their efforts in shedding light on this issue, but Apple Brass had better wake up, too, and do what the company can do to support the stock.
post #143 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There was record demand for the iPhone 4S just in the USA alone (without those extra countries), so your point about it being available in more countries is a moot point.

Actually it's far from moot - it thoroughly destroys his "underwhelming" thesis...

Imagine how many more underwhelming iPhone 4Ss Apple could have sold if they weren't holding back
post #144 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Its this lemming like behavior that provides great opportunities in the market for people who are rational.

Excellent post. Then again expecting rational thoughts on an internet forum really is pissing in the wind.
post #145 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually it's far from moot - it thoroughly destroys his "underwhelming" thesis...

Imagine how many more underwhelming iPhone 4Ss Apple could have sold if they weren't holding back

He claims Apple is doing it to jack up prices yet competitors are having trouble competing on price.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #146 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Disclaimer: The author probably has stock in Apple...

And even if true - that changes the facts and arguments he laid out how?

Casting aspersions does not a rational discussion make
post #147 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Correct. They are speculating that the shares themselves will increase in value, and that they will be able to sell them for a capital gain, rather than buying them to generate investment income.

Stock buyers treat Apple like it is a growth company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Apple's computer business can be compared to other luxury consumer durables companies, like KitchenAid . Apple's consumer gadget business can be compared to other CE companies.

You really should not be commenting on any matters of finance or economics in this Forum.

Actually, strike the words "...of finance or economics...."
post #148 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Perhaps those who are supposedly being envious are just annoyed that someone dispensing financial advice doesn't preface the article with whether or not they own Apple stock.

Again, while I do believe it is relevant and should be disclosed - even if it were disclosed that he does, how exactly does it change his premise?

And no, "I don't like it" isn't a sufficient reason. It may be good enough for your personal preference, but not to impugn someone's integrity.
post #149 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Apple products are stronger than ever, and those who feel like the company has "peaked" because of its enormous wealth and success, are very mistaken. The iPhone has a VERY small market-share in the overall Mobile Phone market

hehe - and the real "secret" is the future growth won't be in phones at all. To me the iPhone is the incubator for the iPad and it's successors in the same way the iMac helped lay the financial and business foundation for Apple to launch the iPod.

Phones will be huge, but the potential market for a utilitarian iOS device is literally every person on the planet. Hyperbolic? I guess we shall see!
post #150 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i'd like to see an in-depth analysis by someone who doesn't have money at stake in the game. cuz i'll guarantee you, zaky is in it for the money.

Here's a crazy thought - read the article intelligently and point out where his obvious bias is rather than attacking him personally?

The ad hominem is the weakest of the logical fallacies. And also why it's the most popular - especially on the Internet
post #151 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

It's only a matter of time before Apple releases a product and everyone goes - meh.

It's more likely they will release a product that everyone goes crazy for.

You invest based on your perception of reality, I'll invest based on mine and in the "end" we can compare notes and see who did better. That is the ultimate game, no?
post #152 of 214
You know, I have been here for far longer than my username shows (4-5 years), and this is where I found Andy originally. He has been right again and again for years. His argument is that if Apple's share price doesn't go up, even with marginal growth it will have enough cash to buy itself in short order. He was the one who pointed out the iPhone subscription accounting issue, and I have done quite well using his analysis.
post #153 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So the author thinks he knows better than the many thousands of market participants, weighing all the pros and cons, who have made the price what it is. He is smarter than *all those thousands.*

Actually he probably is. Were back to the monkeys/Shakespeare thing again...

Quote:
Mate, there is a place for those who think they're smarter than everybody else: Washington, D.C.

Oh please - it's an opinion on an Apple rumor site, not a fucked up policy destined to bankrupt the country - forget apples to oranges, your comparing grains of sand to universes
post #154 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Apple has followed a growth stock philosophy.

Maybe because they are a growth company

Quote:
They hold all of the profits in the company for acquisitions, large supply chain investments, and a huge amount of liquidity.

Sounds smart!

Quote:
This strategy has served them extremely well over the last few years, and I'm sure they're reluctant to change it, hence no dividend payments.

You mean it was smart? Why exactly should they change it then?

Quote:
So how does one make any money off of Apple stock? Well you can buy it, and hope the stock price goes up, or you can short-sell it hoping the price goes down. Not very much like owning a piece of a business, is it?

Er, the way you traditionally make money - buy it and hope it goes up. Until Apple stops growing, I don't count on them paying dividends - and I don't think they have any intention of stopping growth any time soon. Nor would I want them to!

Quote:
Until Apple decides the time is right to change their stock strategy, I think the volatility will remain, and AAPL will remain one of the most manipulated stocks in the US.

Probably right. One can hope anyway. Each time it swings low, it's the perfect time to add more!
post #155 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscmedlake View Post

Great analysis, really lays it out. The market can't figure out Apple because there has never been an ULTRA CAP company before. You have to. "Think Different" to get the impact of this truly unique asset class. The so called "analysts" try to measure Apple against historic standards. Point is, as your detailed analysis shows in no uncertain terms, there are no "comps" when it comes to Apple and it's unprecedented growth. Can't wait to see future articles.

I'm 1999 and I approve this message.
post #156 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So you think he made up the data?

He doesn't know what he thinks. Cheap accusations are easy. Disproving a thesis other than by ad hominem might take some effort and/or not turn out the way he hopes
post #157 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How do you get an upswing is no one is buying?

No one is ever going to buy?

Ever?

Sometimes I wonder how the human race has progressed to where it is - amazing really...
post #158 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

The Street seems to reward loss and short-term thinking more than sales, profits and long term strategy, at least in Apple's case.

Unfortunately it's not just Apple's case. Which is why we are in the crapper and sinking fast
post #159 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The thing I would like is Apple to start paying dividends because why am I investing if something if I dont have part of the profits? fundamentals is key here.

The biggest fundamental of all is "cash is king". Unless you are one of those who myopically think Apple is done growing. Or don't care as long as you get your "share"
post #160 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Secondly, Zaky's comments are a discussion of a balance sheet. I've never heard of anyone trying to surreptitiously move a stock by analyzing a company's balance sheet. (unless maybe the numbers were fabricated, which is clearly not the case with Zaky's article)

Stop bringing logic and reason to Internet forums! You'll upset the delicate balance of the ecosystem - think of the poor trolls!

Great post, though. I'm impressed by the number of rational posts - maybe the overall quality of AI is improving. It looks promising!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple: The Most Undervalued Large-Cap Stock in America