or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin

Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There's Dick's app. A way to made limit your online experience by making it increasingly more annoying to stay online. Tie that into one of those wrist bands that monitor your exercise levels and you can earn "leisure time."

Isn't that called Android?
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Hey that's a good idea. You install the app and it cuts your connection speed gradually to a crawl and the last page offers outdoor activities in your area, just before it freezes up.

Ha! You don't need an app for that... ATT U-verse does that automatically
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #43 of 54
I want a beaufiul woman (and male, I guess, for equality reason) in every cabin WITH an iPad in their hands.
post #44 of 54
Quote:

WIkipedia states the passenger capacity is 2,074. From past experience of using Wiki to research cruise ships details and the fact the number of staterooms, 902, was not included, a value that directly states the minimum number of iPads they'll be buying to fill the rooms, I have to assume that USA Today is likely incorrect on the details.

Umm, there are 902 staterooms, however the staterooms usually have 2 or more guests per stateroom. If you have x% with Mom, Dad and Jr, you can easily arrive at 2,074 capacity. Plus, some of the Captain's suites have multiple bedrooms. So, no problem believing the 2,074 number at all.
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Umm, there are 902 staterooms, however the staterooms usually have 2 or more guests per stateroom. If you have x% with Mom, Dad and Jr, you can easily arrive at 2,074 capacity. Plus, some of the Captain's suites have multiple bedrooms. So, no problem believing the 2,074 number at all.

Which is why 'I' stated the 2,074 passenger capacity.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

I bet a lot of those units will go "missing". Not unlike the hotel bathrobes... Or, at least there will be attempts....

Having been on a number of cruises (hey, it's my 'thing'); I can assure you that your room's ammenities are 'inventoried' daily. Your towels, the drinks in your fridge, the $4 jug of water on your nightstand. If you iPad is not in your room; I'll wager a steak dinner on the cruiseline of your choice, that the price of the iPad will appear on your bill at the end of the cruise.

And yes, they will bill you for a robe ($100) and for any missing towels ($20). They sell them 'brand new' in the gift shop; I suggest that if you need one, you buy a new one. The only thing they 'give away' are return trips to the buffet bar.
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Based on this, Apple trolls will therefore argue that iPad is just an entertainment device ...

I'm sure iPad demand is waning as we speak. Everyone that wanted one, already has one. Absolutely no group of consumers, businesses or organizations want anything more to do with iPads. They're all waiting for Windows 8 tablets. Apple is doomed.

I always enjoy hearing the argument of some person saying. "I honestly can't see any use in owning a tablet because it just doesn't fulfill my primal needs therefore I believe that the iPad fad is over."
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

Heh, I went on a cruise on that very ship in 2003. They didn't have a climbing wall then. Having been there, they'll probably charge you $5 just to look at it. The food and much of the entertainment was essentially free with the cruise, but oh man, they won't hesitate to nickel and dime you on a whole bunch of things.

And considering the massive amount of octogenarians on these boats, most will probably sit unused as them newfangled tablet thingies are just too confusing.

That's the whole frickin' cruise industry in a nutshell. The major stuff is complimentary, but everywhere you turn, it's upsell this and that. That industry seems baldly profit-driven. The next thing you know, they'll be printing ads from sponsors on the wrapper of your pillow mints.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Having been on a number of cruises (hey, it's my 'thing'); I can assure you that your room's ammenities are 'inventoried' daily. Your towels, the drinks in your fridge, the $4 jug of water on your nightstand. If you iPad is not in your room; I'll wager a steak dinner on the cruiseline of your choice, that the price of the iPad will appear on your bill at the end of the cruise.

And yes, they will bill you for a robe ($100) and for any missing towels ($20). They sell them 'brand new' in the gift shop; I suggest that if you need one, you buy a new one. The only thing they 'give away' are return trips to the buffet bar.

Yes, and for taking an iPad from your stateroom, you will be billed for the missing iPad plus an additional $250 "convenience fee"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I heard they're going to outfit the rescue boats with Kindle Fires.

+1 excellent
post #51 of 54
Actually, I have a theory to explain why they did not choose a portable PC, say, instead, which is based on pure safety concerns. I am sure that in your own companies (such as mine), you constantly see your colleagues walking in the corridors, holding their potable PCs horizontally, like a pizza box. I confess I never could explain it, but that is the way it is (they probably fear something could break down into Windows fragile machinery, if they would hold it vertically, under their arm.

This is the basis for the proposed : it is much safer to hold something under one arm within a boat, than horizontally, like a pizza box, with your two arms....
post #52 of 54
Just what I want. A way to stay connected while I am trying to get away from it all.

A cruise on one of these mega ships just doesn't sound like fun to me. They are really floating cities. If I wanted a vacation in a city i could save money and actually go to a city.

I'd much rather take a cruise on a small cruise ship or ship with actual sails like a windjammer cruise.
post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcat View Post

The adoption of iOS devices in the marine electronics industry is really interesting.

Agreed. Tablets have been around for ages - at least 10 years. But they never took off. I think this is because they were always packaged as Windows on a smaller device, not a full tablet UI. Apple really did a great job of designing the touch UI. A great testimony to Apple's full user experience approach. Amazon and Barnes & Noble seem to have grasped the importance of this approach, too.

- Jasen.
post #54 of 54
Quote:

I like the small cabins. It feels snug. And cruise ships are the last transportation that is the entertainment (at least in the States). Planes and trains used to be an experience where you at least get dressed up but now I'm more likely to sit next to someone on a plane that is dressed for the Lido deck of cruise ship. There are even year round cruises that circumnavigate the globe that I'd love to go on if I could just break away from this blasted internet for more than 24 hours. I tried to sign up for an Internet addiction support group but I could find any that were online.

Wow, you and I agree on something for once.

I like to think of cruising as going to Vegas except that every morning you wake up in a new country...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin