or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon says Kindle Fire is its best-selling product, but won't reveal numbers

Amazon says Kindle Fire is its best-selling product, but won't reveal numbers

post #1 of 83
Amazon on Monday touted the success of its newly launched Kindle Fire, revealing it is the retailer's best-selling product, though it still won't disclose any actual sales figures.

The company revealed that this year's Black Friday, the name given to the largest sales day of the year, was the best ever for Amazon's Kindle family of products. In particular, the Amazon Kindle Fire, a color touchscreen tablet that competes more directly with Apple's iPad, has been the bestselling product across all of Amazon since it was first introduced eight weeks ago.

"Even before the busy holiday shopping weekend, we'd already sold millions of the new Kindle family and Kindle Fire was the bestselling product across all of Amazon.com. Black Friday was the best ever for the Kindle family - customers purchased 4X as many Kindle devices as they did last Black Friday - and last year was a great year," said Dave Limp, vice president of Amazon Kindle.

"In addition, we're seeing a lot of customers buying multiple Kindles - one for themselves and others as gifts - we expect this trend to continue on Cyber Monday and through the holiday shopping season."

Amazon's press release also features comments from executives at Target and Best Buy who are praising the success of the Kindle Fire. In fact, Target said that the Kindle Fire was its best-selling tablet on Black Friday. Target began selling the iPad in late 2010.

But for all of the success the Kindle Fire has apparently had, Amazon has declined to reveal any specific sales figures for the device. It's the same strategy the company has employed with previous devices in the Kindle family.

In fact, Amazon has long maintained that previous versions of the Kindle were its best-selling products across the retailer's entire online storefront without revealing any numbers. Apple, meanwhile, continues to experience record setting quarters with its iPad lineup, selling 11.2 million in the last quarter alone.

The Kindle Fire, which first became available earlier this month, has been viewed as a low-cost tablet that will compete with and potentially drive sales away from Android-powered tablets, rather than Apple's iPad. One study released last week found that tablet demand has increased by 130 percent thanks to the introduction of the Kindle Fire and growing popularity of the iPad.
post #2 of 83
"Yeah, we, uh we sold more than you."

"Well, how many did you sell?"

"How many did you sell?"

"Ten million units."

"We sold more than that."

"Can I see your numbers?"

" No."

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 83
I'd rather sell 1 million units of something that makes a profit on each unit sale than sell 10 million units of something that makes a loss on each unit sale.
post #4 of 83
This tactic will eventually bite Amazon in the ass. If they hope to get into the consumer product game they cannot hide their sales figures forever. And once they reveal hard numbers they will at that point be obligated to do so from then on, otherwise future sales-withholding will only be interpreted as 'not very good'.

Of course, thy could also play the Samsung game and simply report sales as "smooth".
post #5 of 83
Not good for investors, not good.

The Kindle Fire should have been a 10'' tablet with a lot more features. Shoulda worked directly with google, instead of making their own software....
post #6 of 83
All I know is that my brother-in-law (an "android-is-better" iPhone user), bought a Kindle Fire after telling me how great it is. Now he is already giving it away as a gift to our father-in-law for Christmas. (No, he is not buying another one for himself.)

Must have been really great
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'd rather sell 1 million units of something that makes a profit on each unit sale than sell 10 million units of something that makes a loss on each unit sale.

But will the 10 milion units be tied to software that when people buy from that will make a profit?*15 books*
post #8 of 83
You mean even DED's slanted review couldn't stop the avalanche of sales
post #9 of 83
I'm not surprised. It's at the price point where it's an impulse purchase. For most people, it's a lot easier to drop $200 on a gift than $500+.

It will be interesting to see how the return numbers look after Christmas, but even then, I suspect that the Fire is going to do quite well.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not surprised. It's at the price point where it's an impulse purchase. For most people, it's a lot easier to drop $200 on a gift than $500+.

It will be interesting to see how the return numbers look after Christmas, but even then, I suspect that the Fire is going to do quite well.

But will it sell as well as the HP Touchpad is the question of the day....
post #11 of 83
I hate when they don't qualify terms. Surely they can't mean the item/SKU they've sold the most of throughout the history of Amazon.com. Are we talking over the past 8 weeks of the Kindle Fire launch, holiday weekend, or specifically Black Friday?

The only known quantity is 4x YoY for Black Friday but that still leaves it as 4n. And even though Kindle Fire has an internet browser the default server-side processing will fudge the numbers when trying to figure out the number of devices in use. Hopefully some savvy analytics company will be able to figure out a decent way to gauge its polarity in tablet market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #12 of 83
Quote:

The return numbers? From the people who don't give us the sales number??

I find Amazon's tactics very annoying. Clearly they've massaged the numbers from the beginning with Kindle and it's too late to reverse it now.

Don't know what the criteria was for best selling product on Amazon - but it is clearly embarrassing to them, so it must be some kind of stretch. Otherwise why not reveal the numbers???
post #13 of 83
Yes, that always sounds suspect?
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

But will the 10 milion units be tied to software that when people buy from that will make a profit?*15 books*

I take your point, and I can see that for say the video game industry which have used that model for a long time, it's clearly profitable, but the licensing fees for a Playstation game are substantially higher than they will be for Kindle Fire apps.

They'll need to sell a lot of copies of Angry Birds to catchup the profit per unit that Apple make.......
post #15 of 83
Quote:

I agree. $200 I'll spend on a gift. $500 I'll spend on myself!
post #16 of 83
Amazon's success will force Google to change the way Android is being updated, so to make it more difficult for Amazon to update the Fire's software. Basically Amazon is trying to take the revenue away from Google through Android (digital goods/ads), and from the sales figure seems to be succeeding.
post #17 of 83
A lot of people are going to be returning that cheap mini tablet once they get theirs and they see how it actually performs and they realize that there's a lot that they can't do with it. I wonder how many returns they've already gotten? They obviously won't be releasing those numbers either.

The only numbers that Android sellers seem eager to release are the shipped numbers which means tablets sitting on store shelves, not the actual numbers of tablets sold to people who are buying them.
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I take your point, and I can see that for say the video game industry which have used that model for a long time, it's clearly profitable, but the licensing fees for a Playstation game are substantially higher than they will be for Kindle Fire apps.

They'll need to sell a lot of copies of Angry Birds to catchup the profit per unit that Apple make.......

But doesn't Amazon have free Apps of the Day where they piss of developers because no one is downloading apps after it becomes the app of the day?
post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A lot of people are going to be returning that cheap mini tablet once they get theirs and they see how it actually performs and they realize that there's a lot that they can't do with it. I wonder how many returns they've already gotten? They obviously won't be releasing those numbers either.

The only numbers that Android sellers seem eager to release are the shipped numbers which means tablets sitting on store shelves, not the actual numbers of tablets sold to people who are buying them.

HP>Android. That is all.
post #20 of 83
Really? It's also their NEWEST product...people will BUY IT, TRY IT and UNLOAD IT until the word gets around. The Kindle Fire is garbage, just garbage (And yes, I do own an iPad2).
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Really? It's also their NEWEST product...people will BUY IT, TRY IT and UNLOAD IT until the word gets around. Garbage, just garbage (And yes, I do own an iPad2).

So.....the iPad 2 is garbage?
post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

So.....the iPad 2 is garbage?

No...the AMAZON FIRE!
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"How many did you sell?"

"Ten million units."

" No."

Oh I have had a terrible day (bar the AAPL shares) but that put a smile to my face, thanks.
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

All I know is that my brother-in-law (an "android-is-better" iPhone user), bought a Kindle Fire after telling me how great it is. Now he is already giving it away as a gift to our father-in-law for Christmas. (No, he is not buying another one for himself.)

Must have been really great

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine. The reality is quite different. I forsee lots of people buying the Fire only to find out how much it CAN'T do. Amazon has been pretty up front with the purpose of the Fire and that is to sell Amazon content to make a profit. But potential buyers have been told it's an iPad competitor which it is clearly not.
post #25 of 83
I went to a Best Buy in Daly City CA and they had one left (looked like a return), and a Target had plenty in stock. There were so many generic looking Android tablets at BB, I almost couldn't find the Fire.
post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

No...the AMAZON FIRE!

Lolz, I know. I was teasing. The context in which you put it was weird:

Quote:
Garbage, just garbage (And yes, I do own an iPad2).

Sound like you know garbage because you have an iPad 2.
post #27 of 83
Ultimately means nothing if they don't tell you how many they sold. 'Its out best selling product' .... and ? big whoop. Normally when figures are not disclosed they are embarrassingly low. I suspect that this situation is no different.

To sum up, if they sold anywhere near the figures of the iPad 2 they would say so. They didn't, so they didn't.
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine.

Pro Tip: Simply ignore the tech press and Android spin machine.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"How many did you sell?"

"Ten million units."

" No."

Followup:

"Our sales projections are on track to double in Q2!"
post #30 of 83
More of Amazon being evasive about sales figures. Until I see hard numbers I'll never believe a word Amazon says. Sony may have a habit of counting PS3 sales once they are off the assembly line and in their own warehouse (even before being sold to distributors), but I'll still trust Sony's numbers before I take Amazon at their word.
post #31 of 83
I won't give a Kindle Fire to anyone as a gift for fear of being considered a cheapskate.
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

More of Amazon being evasive about sales figures. Until I see hard numbers I'll never believe a word Amazon says. Sony may have a habit of counting PS3 sales once they are off the assembly line and in their own warehouse (even before being sold to distributors), but I'll still trust Sony's numbers before I take Amazon at their word.

The general public has no idea that Amazon hides their numbers, they just see the claims on the Amazon front page, but how do they think this looks to investors? I can't believe they're still at this game. It absolutely convinces me they've been distorting the reality of Kindle sales since day one.

Another reason to scratch my head over the p/e ratio awarded to Amazon.
post #33 of 83
I was going to buy this but I'm glad I waited. The developers here at work bought Kindle Fire and no less than half of them have already sent it back to Amazon.
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, the Fire has been touted as the iPad killer by the tech press and the Android spin machine. The reality is quite different. I forsee lots of people buying the Fire only to find out how much it CAN'T do. Amazon has been pretty up front with the purpose of the Fire and that is to sell Amazon content to make a profit. But potential buyers have been told it's an iPad competitor which it is clearly not.

World according to the tech press.

The iPad is a useless toy only capable of performing a very small subset of the "real" work a PC can do, it is doomed to fail.

The Kindle Fire is an awesome device which will kill the iPad, never mind that it is only capable of performing a very small subset of what an iPad can do, that is irrelevant.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #35 of 83
Best selling...just least earning product that we have
post #36 of 83
"Its best selling product" ... as best seller out of all products Amazon sells or best of the products Amazon makes itself that it sells?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I was going to buy this but I'm glad I waited. The developers here at work bought Kindle Fire and no less than half of them have already sent it back to Amazon.

Ignorant people all over the internet were boasting about that tablet and talking about how great it was before a single person had ever even used it.
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post

I won't give a Kindle Fire to anyone as a gift for fear of being considered a cheapskate.

It's not just the price.

$200 can buy a decent gift for somebody. But $200 does not get you a decent tablet.
post #39 of 83
I bought both a Fire and a Nook tablet for my Wife's birthday as I weren't sure the one she wanted. However she went out and bought a Fire ahead of the birthday (go figure!) so today I just returned those two.

Now for the one she bought she has just used it for a week and has now declared that she hates it. The main complaint was that typing on it was a nightmare - it does not correct as well as iOS and it is unresponsive frequently missing your key strokes. Secondly it is too small to view webpages. This is ironic as the reason it was bought was because my wife did not want an iPad because it is too heavy and too big. Along with the webpages it often will not display them correct, or a site will return the mobile version when she wants the full one. Lastly, for its size, holding it is still not comfortable and it is still relatively heavy.

I could go on how the apps are horrible, the UI is a disaster and so on. Lets just say that for someone used to iOS (even version 3.2 - she has a first gen Touch) that Android leaves a lot to be desired.

So in the end we bought two and we will be returning two. My wife likes a keyboard. I think what she needs is a Macbook Air. Unfortunately that is outside our price point for now.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Even before the busy holiday shopping weekend, we'd already sold millions of the new Kindle family and Kindle Fire was the bestselling product across all of Amazon.com. Black Friday was the best ever for the Kindle family - customers purchased 4X as many Kindle devices as they did last Black Friday - and last year was a great year," said Dave Limp, vice president of Amazon Kindle.

I'm not sure I can take him seriously without seeing some hard data...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Amazon says Kindle Fire is its best-selling product, but won't reveal numbers
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Amazon says Kindle Fire is its best-selling product, but won't reveal numbers