or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pent-up demand helps Apple take top spot in UK market with 43% share

Pent-up demand helps Apple take top spot in UK market with 43% share

post #1 of 28
Existing iPhone users' demand for a new device helped push Apple's U.K. market share to nearly 43% in October, beating Android-based handset sales in the region for the first time since late 2010.

According to research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, the introduction of the iPhone 4S gave Apple the top spot in a British mobile market that has been dominated by Android smartphones for nearly a year, reports All Things D.

"Apple took a whopping 42.8 percent share of all smartphone sales, giving it a significant lead over Android -- a feat many thought was impossible," said Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at the firm.

Sunnebo cites pent-up demand for a new Apple handset from the existing U.K. iPhone user base as a driver for the bump in sales, noting the uncharacteristically long period between the launches of the iPhone 4 and 4S. Since the smartphone's debut in 2007, Apple has traditionally released a new model of the iPhone each year, though the latest launch was delayed.

About 75 percent of British customers who purchased an iPhone 4S in October already own a previous version of the device, with 14 percent upgrading from last year's iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4S has seen booming sales since its Oct. 14 launch, most recently being sold out at many Apple Store locations on Black Friday. Russia and Taiwan are scheduled to launch the handset in December as Apple's rollout continues.

Apple's U.K. market share increased 2.8 percent to 27.8 percent year-to-year, while Android finished the quarter ending in October at 46 percent, down from 49.9 percent a year ago. RIM's BlackBerry sales dropped 1.3 points to claim a 19.6 percent share of the market.
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

You need to read more. (And broadcast your ignorance less!)

Yep, something got lost somewhere. I think the takeaway from the research at hand is, iPhone sales really jumped when the 4S was released. However....

"The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to 34.2% a year ago."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...triple-october
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Yep, something got lost somewhere. I think the takeaway from the research at hand is, iPhone sales really jumped when the 4S was released. However....

"The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to 34.2% a year ago."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...triple-october

At least 10% jump is pretty good, I would say.
post #4 of 28
Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that was likely even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 28
Another example of why these analysts are idiots.

How could they possibly think it was "impossible" for the iPhone to the top market share in the month that the 4S is released?

I would have said it wasn't just possible but likely.
post #6 of 28
This study did not reveal any surprises and does not indicate any sort of shift in the UK market or any other. Here are a couple corrections/clarifications.

1) Android sales weren't down from a year ago for the quarter ending Oct 30. They were up from 34.2 to 46%

2) Android sales were at 49% for the quarter ending Sep 30, just prior to 4S sales.

3) iPhone 4S sales for the month of October accounted for 43% of smartphone sales compared to Android's 35%. This is the up side, showing boost in sales immediately following an annual release delayed for 4 months.

If November/December's numbers are still close to 43%, that will be newsworthy.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Don't alter my replies.

post #8 of 28
Quote:

I also can't look things up here, as I'm at work and this happens to be one of the only sites that isn't blocked.

Sooooo, that Android phone you're sportin' doesn't have a dictionary app?

(Did you pick up on that humor?)

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Sooooo, that Android phone you're sportin' doesn't have a dictionary app?

(Did you pick up on that humor?)

Too bad I got rid of it! Was force closing too much.

My 4S is great. My only complaint is.............I didn't get it in white.

And I don't use the dictionary on my iPhone thank you. I like taking screen shots more....
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This ^^^^

This^^^^ isn't original, even to your self. Unless you put 42, as that's always the answer.
post #11 of 28
Back on topic, Blackberry obviously doesn't care about losing markeshare. They're apparently happy because they get to sell to the good 'ol goverment.
post #12 of 28
Quote:

I'm not here ot pick fights, and only I alone know that reason. I only counter facts that are biased or contstrued.

post #13 of 28
Too bad. 75% are previous owners. 25% increase is not bad. Cheap Androids will be hard to beat.
post #14 of 28
Quote:

This^^^^ isn't original, even to your self.

Wow, you really don't ever get jokes. Amazing.

Edit: Ha! I love it - AI nuked the whole thread
post #15 of 28
Nonsense removed.

Altering quoted posts is not permitted.

We don't lock threads here, but off-topic bullshitting and arguing, not pertaining to the subject of the thread, will be removed as necessary and points given.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wow, you really don't ever get jokes. Amazing.

Edit: Ha! I love it - AI nuked the whole thread

I was joking though!

Ahhhh....deleted

In the UK market, don't they buy phones in full? That's pretty good I'd say.
post #17 of 28
Quote:

In the UK market, don't they buy phones in full? That's pretty good I'd say.

Surprisingly that's actually a good and fair question.

The iPhone can be more or less costlier up front in the UK than in the US. It depends on if you wish to purchase directly from Apple or through one of the 5 official carriers (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Three, & Vodafone) on contract, the cost of the contract, and the length of the contract.

Here's an example of O2's setup: http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pa...ne_4_8GB_White

I do wish we had more options in in the US, though the whole thing does look rather confusing for the average consumer.

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that was likely even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

Yep it operates 'differently' ...

Seriously though, every far flung memenber of my family has a 4s in the uk it seems even though I doubt many should given the income of some. I was very surprised at the uptake over there on the 4s.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #19 of 28
Quote:

Don't alter my replies.

Oh dear, Romney has opened a can of worms!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Too bad. 75% are previous owners. 25% increase is not bad. Cheap Androids will be hard to beat.

Retaining 75% gives the iPhone the highest user loyalty.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #21 of 28
Quote:

Well, for many years iPhone was carrier locked to just AT&T in the US, and only last year did Apple add Verizon, and now Sprint. AT&T was never the largest carrier. Is Apple on the major carriers in the UK? How is that market even split up?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but living with a cheap Android phone for 2 years has made my wife the biggest iPhone fan on the planet. I suspect cheap Android phones will actually help Apple gain customers in the long-term.
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, for many years iPhone was carrier locked to just AT&T in the US, and only last year did Apple add Verizon, and now Sprint. AT&T was never the largest carrier. Is Apple on the major carriers in the UK? How is that market even split up?

Yes, it is everywhere. So thats not the reason.

I would have preferred if this report explained exactly how the sales were broken down - did the iPhone 4 do better than before, taking back some users?

As for whether it continues into November or December, the answer is probably. I am surprised the 4S did so well given the supply shortages. Just checked online and there are shortages in my ten local stores, although less so than 3 weeks ago. The 16 G is available in 8 out of 10, though not in both colours everywhere, and all other models are sold out.

EDIT: apparently only 14% of the sales were to iPhone 4 users. There still remains a need for an iPhone 5, therefore.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #24 of 28
Quote:

Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

Stupid low contract prices help...

What is it? $400 for a 64GB iPhone 4S on AT&T with a $125 a month contract?
£279 upfront (about $430) but only £35 (about $54) for unlimited everything (data, tethering, minutes, texts, cups of tea etc.)

Slightly higher upfront cost, but the price of the contract more than makes up for it.

... at night.

... at night.

post #25 of 28
Well I keep hearing about how Android is number one, but everyone I meet seems to have an iPhone.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Well I keep hearing about how Android is number one, but everyone I meet seems to have an iPhone.

In terms of installed base it would be higher than the recent monthly stats.
post #27 of 28
While the numbers sound great, the fact that 75% of the customers were already iPhone users, means that the iPhone has a strong quarter now based on loyal customers, but that won't probably last.

The more important issue is how much from other platforms (and non-smartphone users) go to Apple.

Do we know how much of the Android sales were to existing Android users?
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

While the numbers sound great, the fact that 75% of the customers were already iPhone users, means that the iPhone has a strong quarter now based on loyal customers, but that won't probably last.

The more important issue is how much from other platforms (and non-smartphone users) go to Apple.

Do we know how much of the Android sales were to existing Android users?

Well, pent up demand is likely almost always dominated by replacement sales to existing customers whether iOS or Android. If there was pent up demand for the Nexus S it's dominated by existing Android customers longing for ICS.

The numbers sound great because they are. Evidently there was a bunch of folks that were waiting for the 4S to jump into iOS.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pent-up demand helps Apple take top spot in UK market with 43% share