or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Smoking, glowing iPhone 4 causes airplane scare
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking, glowing iPhone 4 causes airplane scare - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Sounds like a removable and replaceable battery could have saved someone their iPhone.
Too bad they haven't come out with that kind of technology yet.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Sounds like a removable and replaceable battery could have saved someone their iPhone.
Too bad they haven't come out with that kind of technology yet.

That would be entertaining... watching you undo the back of your phone while it's glowing red and then reaching into it and grabbing the battery.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do you understand what "on the heels of" means? The iPod nanos in question were manufactured in 2005 and 2006.

While I agree with the dredging up part, it is on the heals of the replacement program as stated.
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

A bit of topic: The real reason why people are not allowed to have cell phones on in airplanes is because of the base stations. Cell phones roams from cell tower to cell tower. The system goes nuts when a single phone is trying roam from 40000 feet altitude with high speed.

(I worked at Ericsson radio systems. They make about 50% of all base stations in the world. AT&T suck because they only installed 1/3 of the cell density that is recommended. Even more off topic)

Not thinking people respect this rule very much, I see tons of folks sit on the plane, silently just dim their screen during takeoff, or when the plane lands, are on the iPhone seconds later, which indicates that the phone was on the whole time.
post #45 of 62
The iPhone4 has been out for ~17 months. In all that time, this is the 1st battery incident I've heard about. This incident having "sparked concerns over the handset's battery safety" is nonsense.

There are bound to be manufacturing defects in lithium batteries - it's happened before, and it will happen again. One in ~70 million devices sold is a great track record. I have no concerns about the device's safety. Why does such nonsense get sensationalized?
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You've been pwned by one of the resident haters. This particular one used to post pictures of every one of his glorious Android devices and expound incessantly about their objective superiority to anything Apple ever made in the last 35 years.

Nonsense... Your selective/faulty memory fails to recognize that the pics I've posted in here typically feature only my many 'glorious' Apple devices... Get It Right!



Anyway... Hope that this little 'fire' issue is the result of user modification... We'll See.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

These threads can go back and forth all day long, but you have sunk to the lowest level of stupidity! WE have enough problems with real terrorism for you to make such an absolute sophomoric comment!

TRULY not funny at all! I suggest you spend your day finding a brain! Not to mention, you can't even spell Al Qaeda correctly!

How is my post negating the existence of the problems you have with real terrorism? Who says I don't have problems with real terrorism? To tell you the truth, I could/should have looked up the correct spelling of the terrorist group I was referring to.

But to tell me to spend my day finding a brain is a bit out of order. People might get upset with you beacause they have REAL problems with their brain. And for you to suggest that I could just find one is a bit ignoring their real problems. \

I bet you wouldn't be able to spell my surname correctly if you read it once or twice. So your argument is a bit ad hominem.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by daharder View Post

nonsense... Your selective/faulty memory fails to recognize that the pics i've posted in here typically feature only my many 'glorious' apple devices... Get it right!



anyway... Hope that this little 'fire' issue is the result of user modification... We'll see.

pwn :d

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

How is my post negating the existence of the problems you have with real terrorism? Who says I don't have problems with real terrorism? To tell you the truth, I could/should have looked up the correct spelling of the terrorist group I was referring to.

But to tell me to spend my day finding a brain is a bit out of order. People might get upset with you beacause they have REAL problems with their brain. And for you to suggest that I could just find one is a bit ignoring their real problems. \

I bet you wouldn't be able to spell my surname correctly if you read it once or twice. So your argument is a bit ad hominem.

Also, people who go around looking for braaaaains scare me

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I don't buy that the glass fracture caused the "bite" to look like Jobs face. That would be a massive coincidence. Look at the rest of the logo in the same area and it's in excellent condition with no distortion present.

I think it's far more likely it's a modded back, and the reason the face is a little off is because it's being distorted by the cracked glass, not that the cracked glass just happens to look like Jobs.

To the poster who showed the modded back with the text underneath, do you think there's only one version of the back for sale?

Well, there are lots of versions, but they all seem to come with some other identifiable message.

Massive coincidences happen all the time, like you being able to type out your boneheaded message, for example.

Be sure to post your collection of "Jesus silhouette revealed in everyday foodstuffs" next. The gullible, delusional masses really go for that stuff, as you've shown.
post #51 of 62
As usual, everyone overreacts to such isolated incidents. They're producing these things by the millions in an automated process. Things are bound to go wrong once in a while. Contrary to popular belief, we can't make a law or rule that will prevent every single "bad thing" that happens on this earth. Humans are not perfect, nor or our machines. Never have been, never will be.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

image

AHHHH *writhes uncomfortably* Metal on metal and metal on glass! I can't stand to see that

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, people who go around looking for braaaaains scare me

Oh may I pick your brain for a minute.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

These threads can go back and forth all day long, but you have sunk to the lowest level of stupidity! WE have enough problems with real terrorism for you to make such an absolute sophomoric comment!

TRULY not funny at all! I suggest you spend your day finding a brain! Not to mention, you can't even spell Al Qaeda correctly!

On an other note, I apologise if I've hurt you with my insensitive joke.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

On an other note, I apollogise if I've hurt you with my insensitive joke.

Sir, I thank you for your mea culpa, my response was truly about the terrorist quip. People ( I ) may need to be less sensitive, but, we loose lives every day because of "those" people.

And there are things that maybe we should keep a slightly higher sensitivity toward.

Now lets change the subject to figuring out how to gang up on all these "Trolls" on this blog, and put our energy toward shutting them down....

:-)
An Old Apple Guy - And I mean, OLD!
post #56 of 62
I wonder how big the explosion was. Anyways, this happens all the time. An Xbox power brick caught on fire and burned down a house before.


And let's not forget the exploding laptops Dell had:





I always fear things like that. Back when I had my first cell phone (one of those LG phones with a mirror, lol) I heard that you shouldn't have metal against devices with batteries (keys, coins) as it could cause battery issues. I always get nervous when my phone and keys are in the same pocket; and that's been true for every cellphone I have had so far.
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyturd View Post

Clearly this phone was severely damaged prior to the incident. Anytime you have a lithium ion battery and you damage the device sufficiently you can cause a short circuit within the battery that cause it to over heat.

did you bother to think that it was the heat of the device that cased the glass to break?
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Not thinking people respect this rule very much, I see tons of folks sit on the plane, silently just dim their screen during takeoff, or when the plane lands, are on the iPhone seconds later, which indicates that the phone was on the whole time.

I see the happening all the time. And I fly a LOT. People just think they are above the rules and don't care. Plain and simple. pisses me off. Now, i'm not sure that leaving your phone on will cause something as catastrophic as the plane to crash, but it's the principle of the matter.
post #59 of 62
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

A bit of topic: The real reason why people are not allowed to have cell phones on in airplanes is because of the base stations. Cell phones roams from cell tower to cell tower. The system goes nuts when a single phone is trying roam from 40000 feet altitude with high speed.

(I worked at Ericsson radio systems. They make about 50% of all base stations in the world. AT&T suck because they only installed 1/3 of the cell density that is recommended. Even more off topic)

It is the 'real' reason. You quite simply do not not know what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

Sir, I thank you for your mea culpa, my response was truly about the terrorist quip. People ( I ) may need to be less sensitive, but, we loose lives every day because of "those" people.

And there are things that maybe we should keep a slightly higher sensitivity toward.

Now lets change the subject to figuring out how to gang up on all these "Trolls" on this blog, and put our energy toward shutting them down....

:-)
An Old Apple Guy - And I mean, OLD!

I concur!
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #62 of 62
<An Old Apple Guy - And I mean, OLD>

it's time to stop referring to a certain superior group of people as 'old' and then mean it with an addendum.

we don't want to "lose' (loose sic) any of the intelligentsia.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Smoking, glowing iPhone 4 causes airplane scare