or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply

'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, good; it's just a misunderstanding of the wording of my post. Phew!

I'll append a sentence:

Supply constraints are being caused by limited availability of one crucial component. The key component? Undesirability. Lack of undesirability is causing supply constraints of the iPhone 4S.

That's what I thought you meant. I couldn't understand his comment.
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

Oops sorry hasn't been 60 days yet for the 4S. Still have 15 days to go

They sold 8 million not 8 billion. And yes, it's VERY likely that Apple will sell more than 8 MILLION 4S's in 60 days. Likely they've already sold a fair amount more than that a while ago.
post #43 of 76
Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days?

Wow. They sold 1.143 Kinects for every man, woman, and child on this planet!?
post #44 of 76
Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question.

Prock!
post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. They sold 1.143 Kinects for every man, woman, and child on this planet!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Prock!

I'm sure it's just a typo.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm sure it's just a typo.

I am sure we're sure too.
post #47 of 76
Quote:

The key component? Undesirability.

True that. A word that does not exist would be in short supply.
post #48 of 76
Hmm.. I walked into an At&t store last week and had no problem getting my iPhone 4s. Probably based on were you live
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

True that. A word that does not exist would be in short supply.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #50 of 76
Unobtainium
post #51 of 76
Recent reports from investigations have indicated that Apple, Inc (APPL) has switched suppliers from India where they had been harvesting unicorn tears to enhance the lickability of the iOS device screens and enhance the magicalness of the operating system. Reports from several anonymous sources suggest that unicorn tears were not retaining potency among technology consumers and Apple sought more potent means to ensure the necessary qualities of their iDevices.

Enter the Thai Upsorn Srihas. Found abundantly in the Himmapan Forest, the half female human/half-deer creature sheds tears abundantly in both happy and sad states, easing what Indian collectors claimed was trouble depressing unicorns enough to get them to cry. The Upsorn Srihas tears not only are magical, and carry the requisite lickable factor, but also carry a third element, an undefined sexiness, that Apple surely was intending to leverage as well. With recent flooding in Thailand, the Upsorn Srihas have moved deeper into the Himmapan Forest, causing delays as native tear collectors have to travel further to colelct and then find safe routes to deliver the magical fluid to designated temporary depots, set-up to replace regular depots currently impacted by flooding.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Recent reports from investigations have indicated that Apple, Inc (APPL) has switched suppliers from India where they had been harvesting unicorn tears

Tears of joy! All the way to the bank, baby!
post #53 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely the iPhone 4 is the fastest selling electronic device on the planet (based on the seemingly arbitrary 60 days timeframe) besting the Kinect accessory by a large margin. So why no mention of this in the news?

It is because the press is so mean to Apple. Its not FAIR!
post #54 of 76
Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

Oops sorry hasn't been 60 days yet for the 4S. Still have 15 days to go

The iPad 2 dethroned the kinect quite handily selling in excess of 12M over 80 days.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...ok-of-records/

iPhone4s is going to beat them both.
post #55 of 76
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I wonder if Samsung would stoop so low as to hold back production of an iPhone 4S component.
In an attempt to slow down iPhone 4S sales.

Just a thought.

They would blow off their foot to spite their toes. First, they open themselves to liability for entering into a supply contract in "bad faith" -- that alone would probably put them on the blacklist for many companies thinking about doing business with them as a component supplier. And Apple sure as hell would probably never use them again.

Secondly... really? People who want an iPhone are going to wait in long lines and sometimes weeks to get their hands on an Apple product. If there's a supply constraint on iPhones, it's not going to translate into better Samsung sales.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 76
Quote:

How do I do that in Snow Leopard???

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its the 3G chip. Its because its fucked and doesn't work properly. Have cellular data on and wifi and every single inbound call drops. Enable either or and it works fine.

Awaiting my replacement 4S from Apple as I type.

Apple doesn't make the 3G chip. In fact, it's the same 3G chip used in many Android phones.
post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Apple does make the 3G chip. In fact, it's the same 3G chip used in many Android phones.

It's a Qualcomm chip and it's newer than one the used in the Verizon iPhone 4 and not used by any other vendors at this point as far as I know.

post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How do I do that in Snow Leopard???

Double-click with three fingers on the trackpad or

Jeez, I knew it at one point

There's a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing for any word currently under the mouse cursor. I can't remember it now; I've used the trackpad shortcut for so long.

post #61 of 76
Two pages of comments and no one has posted re: what kind of hack this so called analyst is? He has a long but not distinguished history of BS regarding Apple. Still waiting on that 7" screen Ashok?

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/20/could-t...a-7-inch-ipad/
post #62 of 76
I could never understand why someone would even think about getting the older phone just because it's "Free" or costs $50 less. Think about it, your paying on average near $2,000 over 24 months for the phone and service and your worried about the $200 cost for the new phone? Give me a break.
post #63 of 76
Gotta say, Samsung has an amazing roadmap: 1) See what Apple does 2) Copy Apple 3) Sue Apple for using 3g, LTE or WiFi.
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post

Two pages of comments and no one has posted re: what kind of hack this so called analyst is? He has a long but not distinguished history of BS regarding Apple. Still waiting on that 7" screen Ashok?

http://gigaom.com/2010/09/20/could-t...a-7-inch-ipad/

That analist can want a 7 incher as much as he likes - his fantasy may not come true.
post #65 of 76
Quote:

There's a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing for any word currently under the mouse cursor. I can't remember it now; I've used the trackpad shortcut for so long.

Cmd-Ctrl-D
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cmd-Ctrl-D

Props, man.

post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Repositioning the legacy 3GS at the entry level buys Apple time, but it is a dated product with limited shelf-life," Kumar wrote.

Limited shelf life? It delivers a better user experience than 80% of the Android phones shipping today. Then again, since most Android phones last less than six months before being replaced with a new model I can understand his confusion.

Quote:
"A (purpose-built) lower end SKU is key for Apple to grow share."

Huh? This makes no sense at all. What exactly would it look like? How exactly would it fit into the ecosystem? How could you prevent fragmentation of apps and complexity for users and developers alike?

Just comments from another clueless backseat driver
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I could never understand why someone would even think about getting the older phone just because it's "Free" or costs $50 less. Think about it, your paying on average near $2,000 over 24 months for the phone and service and your worried about the $200 cost for the new phone? Give me a break.

And yet it's Android's biggest selling point...
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's the same reason why people buy cheap PC's. It's the upfront costs that many people look at.
post #70 of 76
I wish AI would stop posting stuff said by analysts who have no direct insider knowledge. In most cases it would seem like their "analyst" moniker gives them the right to make up some crazy bullshit that they actually believe. The majority of AI readers could release rumours closer to the truth than these so called professionals.
post #71 of 76
this idiot kumar is pissing filtered water - a waste. every product manufacturing will always have component shortage.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Limited shelf life? It delivers a better user experience than 80% of the Android phones shipping today. Then again, since most Android phones last less than six months before being replaced with a new model I can understand his confusion.

Huh? This makes no sense at all. What exactly would it look like? How exactly would it fit into the ecosystem? How could you prevent fragmentation of apps and complexity for users and developers alike?

Just comments from another clueless backseat driver

Well, no. If Apple can do what it's doing now, then they'll be ok. But they do need to replace old phones after a while. Are you suggesting the 3GS stay around another year after this?

The problem is that apps and games must work on the older devices, limiting what they can do on the newer ones. It's not likely that the 3GS will accept iOS 6, or that if it does, whether it will get enough new features for people to care. If that happens in the late summer, it will be a bomb.

I would think that the cost of the old hardware is depreciated enough so that it costs Apple a lot less to make than it did. Surely the old screen must. But it's a not very good screen these days. It must be replaced

My wife and daughter still have 3G's. My daughter has a 3GS for school in London. Neither wanted to upgrade last year when I bought a 4, moving from my 3G.

The performance of the 3GS when compared to my 4 was, well, sluggish. Now I have a 4S, and they will get them in December when my daughter gets home from school. Compared to my 4S, my old 4 is, well, sluggish. Comparing the 3GS to my 4S will have to wait until the 10th when my daughter gets home, but how well do you think it will do? Not very well at all.

It's both kudo's to Apple that the 3GS has still been selling so well, and a Bronx cheer to other manufacturers and OS's that it is as well. But something's got to give, as they say. Other phones will be 3 years newer in a few months, and no matter how good the 3GS might be, it's falling well behind.

I don't see why Apple couldn't come out with a newer model based on the same basic case, which costs less than the one for the 4 series, but with a newer SoC, to better match current performance. A slightly better screen is needed as well. If Apple can do that for slightly lower margins, then it would sell even better than the 3GS.
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I wish AI would stop posting stuff said by analysts who have no direct insider knowledge. In most cases it would seem like their "analyst" moniker gives them the right to make up some crazy bullshit that they actually believe. The majority of AI readers could release rumours closer to the truth than these so called professionals.

These reports are quoted all over the web. It's fine that they be quoted here as well. It does engender discussion, which is what's intended.
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The problem is that apps and games must work on the older devices, limiting what they can do on the newer ones. It's not likely that the 3GS will accept iOS 6, or that if it does, whether it will get enough new features for people to care. If that happens in the late summer, it will be a bomb.

How does a "purpose" built low end device solve this?

Quote:
I would think that the cost of the old hardware is depreciated enough so that it costs Apple a lot less to make than it did. Surely the old screen must. But it's a not very good screen these days. It must be replaced

Have you seen the majority of Android phones shipping today? The 3GS is still heads and shoulders above the shovelware...

Quote:
The performance of the 3GS when compared to my 4 was, well, sluggish. Now I have a 4S, and they will get them in December when my daughter gets home from school. Compared to my 4S, my old 4 is, well, sluggish. Comparing the 3GS to my 4S will have to wait until the 10th when my daughter gets home, but how well do you think it will do? Not very well at all.

Sure, but for those who are short sighted and cost conscious, a sluggish iPhone is better than none at all.

Or a sluggish Android phone

Quote:
It's both kudo's to Apple that the 3GS has still been selling so well, and a Bronx cheer to other manufacturers and OS's that it is as well. But something's got to give, as they say. Other phones will be 3 years newer in a few months, and no matter how good the 3GS might be, it's falling well behind.

Falling behind what? Feature checklist compliance or in usability?

Quote:
I don't see why Apple couldn't come out with a newer model based on the same basic case, which costs less than the one for the 4 series, but with a newer SoC, to better match current performance. A slightly better screen is needed as well. If Apple can do that for slightly lower margins, then it would sell even better than the 3GS.

It would be far cheaper for them to replace the 3GS with the 4 next year. Which is exactly what I expect them to do. Why go through the expense and resources to develop a whole new phone when they have a fully amortized and still highly desired device just sitting there?
post #75 of 76
And right in the midst of several reports that the 4S is in short supply with long wait times comes word that 7 new countries will receive retail stock within two weeks.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=137324

Once again, with a few million likely available to additional markets, is there any true shortage of 4S smartphones or is it simply the well-planned perception of one?
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And right in the midst of several reports that the 4S is in short supply with long wait times comes word that 7 new countries will receive retail stock within two weeks.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=137324

Once again, with a few million likely available to additional markets, is there any true shortage of 4S smartphones or is it simply the well-planned perception of one?

Yeah, this really makes me think. If you don't have phones, you don't have phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply