or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Settings shortcuts disabled by Apple in iOS 5.1 beta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Settings shortcuts disabled by Apple in iOS 5.1 beta

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
A tweak that allowed users to quickly access specific settings in iOS -- such as toggling Wi-Fi, Airplane Mode and Bluetooth on or off -- has been disabled with the first beta of iOS 5.1.

Earlier this month, the Web-based shortcuts, which allow users to make custom icons for specific settings, gained popularity for allowing users to quickly access features like Mobile Hotspot or Software Update. But as first revealed by iSpazio.net (via Google Translate), the newly released iOS 5.1 beta puts a stop to this tweak.

The functionality became available with the release of iOS 5, via a feature in the iOS Safari Web browser. Users could add a series of Web links to their home screen, and tapping on a bookmarked icon would automatically take users to the appropriate section of the native Settings application on an iPhone or iPad.

The tweak is useful because it gives users quick access to settings like turning Bluetooth on or off. Previously, simply accessing the Bluetooth controls required users to tap the Settings application, then General, then Bluetooth.

The Settings icons can be even more convenient for enabling Airplane Mode, which turns off all wireless communications on the device. While a Bluetooth shortcut requires users to toggle Bluetooth on or off by themselves, tapping an Airplane icon automatically enables Airplane Mode without any extra steps.

The discovery of the tweak led to a number of free tools online that allowed users to have quick access to their settings, including IconSettings and brdrck.me/settings. Both tweaks remain available to users who are not running the iOS 5.1 beta.

Previously, users who wanted to have such tweaks on their iPhone needed to "jailbreak" their device to run unauthorized code. But jailbreaking an iPhone is a warranty-voiding process that is not recommended by Apple for potential security concerns.



The first beta of iOS 5.1 was released to developers on Monday, and includes enhanced dictation support for devices beyond the new iPhone 4S. While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones, there is no indication that Siri, Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant application on the iPhone 4S, is coming to previous generation handsets.

The new iOS 5.1 beta also contains references in its code to a next-generation iPhone, known as "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3." It also includes references to an unreleased iPad 2 model, labeled "iPad2,4."
post #2 of 46
I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?
post #3 of 46
There we go again with Apple ruining things that don't need to be fixed. Why don't they just add the feature?
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

There we go again with Apple ruining things that don't need to be fixed. Why don't they just add the feature?

1. It's a beta.
2. It's a beta.
3. "Ruined" is an inherently leading word.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?

They'll probably add something like this (but overly Apple-simplified) to iOS6 and promote it as a new exciting feature.
post #6 of 46
The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple, so yes, it deserves to be disabled.
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?

But the methodology could be used for other things that would be a security threat

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple, so yes, it deserves to be disabled.

...as any barista would agree.
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple...

You mean like the iTunes icon?
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But the methodology could be used for other things that would be a security threat

Are you suggesting that non-developers are currently running an insecure version of iOS?
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones

What's this now?
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

What's this now?

Well, it does say 'basic'. It could just mean the exact same stuff we've already had there for the longest time.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #13 of 46
With all due respect to Steve Jobs, it was probably he who objected to quick access to settings like the one that SBSettings provides on jailbroken iPhones. There's really no reason not to have this feature in iOS, and I hope that now with Steve's unfortunate passing, Apple will reconsider their policy on quick access to settings.

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls. I am 99% sure that the reason this feature has never been enabled in iOS is Steve Job's objection. The lack of this feature may lead to a major tragedy if your family member or friend tries to reach you, but you miss the call and not realize for hours that someone who may be in dire straights has tried to reach you. There could be a toggle so those who don't want to have repeated notifications of missed calls can just turn this feature off.

A third feature that is really needed is the automatic silencing of the ringer during calendar events with the status set to "busy." This feature prevents one from forgetting to turn the ringer back on after a scheduled even is over. If the ringer would automatically be silenced during such an calendar event and then turned back on after the event, there would be no need to manually disable the ringer most of the time, and therefore, a potential for missing an important call would be minimized.

These three features along with tethering is what prompted me to jaibreak my iPhone but now that I have upgraded to iPhones 4S with the renewal of my AT&T unlimited data plan, I am forced to continue using the old iPhones 3GS while waiting for a jailbreak for iPhone 4S. If these features were introduced in the next release of iOS 5, I would forgo the jailbreak altogether and use my iPhones 4S in the US while using my already jailbroken and unlocked iPhones 3GS when traveling overseas.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, it was probably he who objected to quick access to settings like the one that SBSettings provides on jailbroken iPhones. There's really no reason not to have this feature in iOS, and I hope that now with Steve's unfortunate passing, Apple will reconsider their policy on quick access to settings.

I thought we were past the "Steve's dead; everyone do 'uncharacteristic' stuff now" phase

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #15 of 46
They are up $8 today on this news

Seriously..this might give me pause to upgrade. If the additions of this (unheard of previously) basic speech recognition to my IP4 isn't substantial and they remove this ability in the full version I'll just stay on the 0.1 for a while. I am having major battery problems though so it depends on how long I can deal with that.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was released to developers on Monday, and includes enhanced dictation support for devices beyond the new iPhone 4S. While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones, there is no indication that Siri, Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant application on the iPhone 4S, is coming to previous generation handsets.

I imagine this simply means that Nuance voice recognition is now a part of the OS, so when I say "Play songs by Supertramp", I don't get music by the Beatles. Simply more accurate transcribing of voice dictation.
post #17 of 46
Don't know whether this workaround might be a potential security hole. At least Apple tends to object any attempts which may alter the overall iOS user experience - as i.e. the thing with the volume button used for the camera.

As usage of the volume button is finally part of the OS since iOS 5, Apple may at some point also understand, that lots of users want an easier/faster way to change certain settings and include such a functionality with the next version.

From my point of view such a functionality should be a no-brainer and therefore be part of any 5.X-update in the near future. Why not do it like this:

Just enhance the settings-app/-icon to optionally behave like a folder as with the newsstand-app. This could be done by integrating an new group of controls like "direct settings" within the settings app. A main switch would then enable "direct settings" i.e. the folder behavior - probably default would be "off". With additional switches, users could enable the direct settings which suit there needs, like wifi, airplane, bluetooth and whatever. Give the whole thing a nicely done background whenever the "settings-folder" opens, have some original Apple icons which indicate the current status and you are done. Should not take that much, right? The only thing which might need to be sacrificed is the ability to put the settings-app into a folder as it is today. But that's already the case with the newsstand app as well and I thing not many people would mind putting such an enhanced settings app in their dock.
post #18 of 46
Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, it was probably he who objected to quick access to settings like the one that SBSettings provides on jailbroken iPhones. There's really no reason not to have this feature in iOS, and I hope that now with Steve's unfortunate passing, Apple will reconsider their policy on quick access to settings.

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls. I am 99% sure that the reason this feature has never been enabled in iOS is Steve Job's objection.

OK, you clearly have insider knowledge. 99% suggests more than bedroom deductions and conspiracy theories. Please share.
Quote:
The lack of this feature may lead to a major tragedy if your family member or friend tries to reach you, but you miss the call and not realize for hours that someone who may be in dire straights has tried to reach you. There could be a toggle so those who don't want to have repeated notifications of missed calls can just turn this feature off.

I think you are being a tad dramatic here.... But yeah, missed call notification is a good thing imo
Quote:
A third feature that is really needed is the automatic silencing of the ringer during calendar events with the status set to "busy." This feature prevents one from forgetting to turn the ringer back on after a scheduled even is over. If the ringer would automatically be silenced during such an calendar event and then turned back on after the event, there would be no need to manually disable the ringer most of the time, and therefore, a potential for missing an important call would be minimized.

I'd say you are the perfect jailbreak candidate. If Apple built in all options that you and a handful other geeks consider essential IOS would be a nightmare for the rest of the world. Remember what SJ, (or was it JI?) said about design - the hardest part is to decide what not to include.
Still - I do hope these settings become available through third party developers again.
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls.

I agree with you. What would the rationale be to omit this feature? Every phone I've ever owned had an audible alert for missed calls.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

In this specific case ... who knows as this is not a final release but the reason Apple 'tells people what they can and cannot do' is a GOOD thing for the majority of people. Including every option under the sun is not generally helpful. And there is freedom of choice, use another OS.
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

They do believe in choice. You have the choice not to buy their products. You have choice not to upgrade to 5.1 beta. And lastly you also have the choice not to come here and troll.... Yet you still decide to.

Whats worst? Being controlled. Or signing up on website just bytch to a bunch strangers about something you could have easily prevented yourself?



While this appears to be a handy feature that some people are taking advantage of (and I can understand why they are dissapointed to have it removed). Common sense would say any third party solution that offers a backdoor 'tweak' to allow these unauthorized quick settings icons, could also allow other malicious things to happen to the OS. And thats the real reason why its being blocked. Same would go for being able to jailbreak the phone by simply visiting a website like Jailbreakme.com, its a security flaw that allows that access to the OS.

The reason why people choose Apple products is their great design, user experience, resale value and most importanty.. that they just work. Apple is the only company that controls exactly what happens on the hardware AND software side of things. The second Apple takes that wall garden guard down.. is the second where 3rd party apps are allowed access to the OS, you have a product that is no longer protected from malicious 3rd party software. I want a phone thats reliable, doesnt lockup or need reboots, and provides the same/better user experience I recieved out the box.. than I do a phone that I can tweak & experiment with. And thats why I bought an iPhone, instead of Android. Its also the same reason I went with a Mac.. over a PC.

Freedom.. is never exactly free.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

You have the freedom to use Windows Phone 7, Android, or even WebOS. If Apple bothers you, why bother with them?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #24 of 46
Come on Apple. If you're going to be prissy about it, then at least add the functionality yourself.

If you're not going to do it, then don't ruin it for everyone else.
post #25 of 46
I've got these settings shortcuts on my iPhone right now. They are ugly and not very useful since it takes so long to go from icon to browser to settings.
I wont miss them.

Now having the same settings in notification centre or on the "double tap" home screen, that I would like!

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Come on Apple. If you're going to be prissy about it, then at least add the functionality yourself.

If you're not going to do it, then don't ruin it for everyone else.

Jeeeesh,

My Samsung Blackjack running Windows mobile had a dedicated on/off for Bluetooth. Like 8 years ago!!!

Given the acknowledged battery issues with the 4S, you'd think "the worlds most advanced mobile operating system" would allow users to quickly turn on/off battery consuming resources like Bluetooth.

Come on Forestall, get with it dude.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?


All settings need to be via the Settings function to keep a consistent User Experience.

Ever notice that you need to go to Settings to change, y'know, the settings? If you could change settings without leaving the App and going to Settings, it would not be as consistent. All settings need to be accessed through Settings.

That is the reason.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

These three features along with tethering is what prompted me to jaibreak my iPhone

Jailbreakers do it so they can steal Apps. No excuse can justify it.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iOSvictim View Post

Just enhance the settings-app/-icon to optionally behave like a folder as with the newsstand-app. This could be done by integrating an new group of controls like "direct settings" within the settings app. A main switch would then enable "direct settings" i.e. the folder behavior - probably default would be "off". With additional switches, users could enable the direct settings which suit there needs, like wifi, airplane, bluetooth and whatever. Give the whole thing a nicely done background whenever the "settings-folder" opens, have some original Apple icons which indicate the current status and you are done. Should not take that much, right? The only thing which might need to be sacrificed is the ability to put the settings-app into a folder as it is today. But that's already the case with the newsstand app as well and I thing not many people would mind putting such an enhanced settings app in their dock.


That is way too complicated for many, many iOS users.

Every feature and function of an iDevice needs to be so easy that even a cave man could do it. Grandma. Toddlers. Illiterate tribesmen.

You might be happier with Android.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In this specific case ... who knows as this is not a final release but the reason Apple 'tells people what they can and cannot do' is a GOOD thing for the majority of people. Including every option under the sun is not generally helpful. And there is freedom of choice, use another OS.

These people who think that their phone should work the way THEY want it to work (instead of the way Apple KNOWS it MUST work) crack me up.

The whole point of Apple is to leave these sorts of decisions to Apple.

Apple will never give options you on basic things. They determine what is best for the customer, and the customer either does things the Apple way, or they can choose to no longer be a customer.

That is why the Apple UI is so consistent. No matter which iPhone you pick up, it will work just like every other iPhone.

What people don't realize is that the genius of Apple is knowing which "features" to leave out. And this "feature" has no place on Apple's phones. If someone doesn't like it, they can simply hit the road. Nobody is forcing them at gunpoint to buy Apple products.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Jailbreakers do it so they can steal Apps. No excuse can justify it.

"If all Deets are Beets and all Beets are Meets, are all Deets Meets?"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

These people who think that their phone should work the way THEY want it to work (instead of the way Apple KNOWS it MUST work) crack me up.

The whole point of Apple is to leave these sorts of decisions to Apple.

etc...

Silly of me to reply, really, cuz you I know you are being facetious for effect. But to some extent (without the negative spin), yeah, just like just about any other product you buy. Apple doesn't 'KNOW it MUST' work one way or the other. But Apple does make design decisions.
post #33 of 46
Were the settings shortcuts exploiting a hole in iOS?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #34 of 46
If I had to guess there was probably a security concern related to potentially misleading instruction or apps, or potentially related to the links being JavaScript based. Still, it does seem odd that they disabled this feature. We'll see how it plays out by final release. It wouldn't be the first time people have jumped the gun in worrying about something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Jailbreakers do it so they can steal Apps. No excuse can justify it.

Pretty shallow statement there, bud.

Not all jailbreakers pirate just because they can, just as not all Mac users pirate just because they can.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

If I had to guess there was probably a security concern related to potentially misleading instruction or apps, or potentially related to the links being JavaScript based. Still, it does seem odd that they disabled this feature. We'll see how it plays out by final release. It wouldn't be the first time people have jumped the gun in worrying about something like this.


Pretty shallow statement there, bud.

Not all jailbreakers pirate just because they can, just as not all Mac users pirate just because they can.

he switches up his satirical focus but all in all he mocks the attitudes of the more die-hard of Apple fans towards anything-not-Apple users.

He's being facetious.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"If all Deets are Beets and all Beets are Meets, are all Deets Meets?"

Yes. All Deets would then be Meets.

If all iPhones are made by Apple, and all Apple products are high quality, are all iPhones high quality?

Yes.


Why do you ask?
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Why do you ask?

Because not all jailbreakers are pirates. Just as not all OS X users are pirates.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Jailbreakers do it so they can steal Apps. No excuse can justify it.

I have never stolen one app - I don't know how to do it, and I don't want to spend my time on this stupidity. Most apps cost a buck or two, so even if I was a thief, I wouldn't bother. But I'm not a thief. On the contrary, I probably spent about $100 on jailbroken apps between my two iPhones 3GS. So, you should know that when you get an urge to steal something, it's not the vibe you are getting from those around you. It originates from within you.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

All settings need to be via the Settings function to keep a consistent User Experience.

Ever notice that you need to go to Settings to change, y'know, the settings? If you could change settings without leaving the App and going to Settings, it would not be as consistent. All settings need to be accessed through Settings.

That is the reason.

Understood. What these shortcuts do (did) was put a series of launchers on the springboard, that when tapped, would go into the proper page in the Settings app. You are (were) still going into Settings to change things, you're just not digging through 3/4 different menus to get to the one setting you need (Bluetooth, for instance).
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"If all Deets are Beets and all Beets are Meets, are all Deets Meets?"

Yes, logically, all Deets would be Meets. Although I do agree with your point. All people who steal apps do indeed jailbreak, but not all jailbreakers steal apps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Settings shortcuts disabled by Apple in iOS 5.1 beta