or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Weak non-iPad tablet sales reduce demand for Gorilla Glass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weak non-iPad tablet sales reduce demand for Gorilla Glass - Page 2

post #41 of 67
It might strong in the lab but in my experience Gorilla Glass is extremely fragile in real-world conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The special glass is said to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, thanks to a chemically strengthened alkali-aluminosilicate material.

My iPhone 4 slipped out of my pocket, dropped about 3 feet and the glass completely shattered on impact with the ground. It cost me $200 to replace the front screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company said the revised sales estimate is due to a lower demand for its scratch-proof Gorilla Glass

My month-old iPhone 4S has several permanent scratches on the front and back glass. I have never dropped it.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #42 of 67
deleted

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Complaint?

Hardly a complaint... but if you can show me an actual confirmation that the 4 and 4S use Gorilla Glass then that will settle it... right?

Just ask Siri.
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nah, you are just a sucker for a brand name.

Whether or not Apple actually uses "Gorilla Glass" (there are conflicting reports), the glass they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "Gorilla Glass". Either way it's the same.

The way I heard it Corning wanted too much money, and also wanted their name placed on the products (iPhone, iPad, etc.), and in the advertising copy and Apple refused.

Smart move if true.

That's what they tell unknowing cell phone buyers.

"Even though Samsung doesn't actually uses "iOS", the OS they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "iOS". Either way it's the same.

The way I see it, Apple wants too much money, and also has other issues, and most buyers refused.

Smart move to buy Android phones, if true."
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

Just ask Siri.

Siri told me that if I wanted to mate with gorillas that's my business but to keep her out of it.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

It was part of the deal where both party can't mention each other relation, but every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

You are exactly right. (I can't tell you why or how I know this).
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Siri told me that if I wanted to mate with gorillas that's my business but to keep her out of it.

Try mating with Siri! You gonna have to deal with the Gorilla (glass).
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You are exactly right. (I can't tell you why or how I know this).

... or they'll send gorillas after you... right?!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

Well, iMacs and Macbooks were't using GG "since day 1". (The original iMacs used CRTs, remember?)

But they are using it now? That sounds a little extravagant since they aren't intended for the same sort of unprotected knocking about that the mobile devices are. Certainly not the iMac.

(Or maybe Gorilla Glass isn't all that expensive to make. I have no idea.)
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

But they are using it now? That sounds a little extravagant since they aren't intended for the same sort of unprotected knocking about that the mobile devices are. Certainly not the iMac.

The glass panels do appear quite thin and flexible. Sounds like alkali-aluminosilicate glass to me.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I've seen the word 'jeep' applied to Land Rovers, Ford Broncos (the originals), and various european knock-offs. (In fact, that's a somewhat poor example since 'jeep' had indeed been used generically before it became a trade name used by Willys-Overland.)

I certainly would not put it past ill-informed or outright sloppy analysts to use 'Gorilla Glass' as shorthand for 'tough glass'. Remember the discussion about Apple's control over CNC milling production and a reporter called them 'lathes'? That might seem like semantic nit-picking, but when a story depends on a specific item as the basis for second-order analysis, we need to use unambiguous terms so that we know what's being referenced.

It's not a sloppy journalist we're discussing said but Steve Jobs.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Siri told me that if I wanted to mate with gorillas that's my business but to keep her out of it.

Ummm we're discussing Gorilla Glass not gorilla ass.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

You seriously need a Reality check here...

Apple contacted Corning few years before they announced the iPhone. At that time, Corning had patent for the Gorilla glass but never produce it before Apple ask them samples.

It was part of the deal where both party can't mention each other relation, but every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

shhh!

You don't want to burst the little Fandroid's bubble of perceived superiority via exclusivity.

Sometimes little white lies are better than breaking hearts.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

According to the Steve Jobs biography, Apple has been using Gorilla Glass from Corning since BEFORE it was marketed as Gorilla Glass. They called Corning to solve a problem and Corning pulled Gorilla Glass out to meet the need. That was for the iPhone classic.

For the iPhone yes. The article is talking about iPads.
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Well, iMacs and Macbooks were't using GG "since day 1". (The original iMacs used CRTs, remember?)

But they are using it now? That sounds a little extravagant since they aren't intended for the same sort of unprotected knocking about that the mobile devices are. Certainly not the iMac.

(Or maybe Gorilla Glass isn't all that expensive to make. I have no idea.)

Ok, I'll be more precise.

Every Apple product with glass screen and black bevel is made of Gorilla Glass, which include but not restricted to: The iPhone All generation, The iPod Touch all generation, the MacBook and MacBook Air since the Unibody design, The iMac since the Aluminium model and the glass trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad is also made of Gorilla glass.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Every Apple product with glass screen and black bevel is made of Gorilla Glass, which include but not restricted to: The iPhone All generation, The iPod Touch all generation, the MacBook and MacBook Air since the Unibody design, The iMac since the Aluminium model and the glass trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad is also made of Gorilla glass.

I had never heard that the aluminum iMacs or Macbooks used it as well. I guess it was a pretty well-kept secret.
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I had never heard that the aluminum iMacs or Macbooks used it as well. I guess it was a pretty well-kept secret.

Nor you should have heard about the iPhone and the iPad, Apple has never gone public on this. It's not a well-kept secret, it's only a matter of no media is interested to write on this.
post #58 of 67
Here is an article explaining Apple relation with Corning:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-767219.aspx
post #59 of 67
Apple are happy for us to call it whatever we want.

They themselves will simply buy from the supplier that is most cost effective for the desired quality.

Fragility itself is always double edged sword. The positive being a nice little earner in aftersale repairs.
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Here is an article explaining Apple relation with Corning:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-767219.aspx

I have to say that after three years of casually following Gorilla Glass stories, I've learned more in this one thread than all the other articles to date. Thanks for the info.
post #61 of 67
Maybe someone can dig this up, because I can't remember when or where I read it.

I seem to recall reading a blog post or 2 a few years back that covered an email reply from Steve to a customer regarding Gorilla Glass. The customer had emailed to ask why the iPhone didn't use Gorilla Glass when it was so amazing, and it could help the durability of the phone.

Steve's reply (IIRC) was that they already did use Gorilla Glass, they just didn't go around shouting it from the rooftops.

I'll see if I can find a link, but if anyone else knows what I'm talking about in the meantime, feel free.
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

I seem to recall reading a blog post or 2 a few years back that covered an email reply from Steve to a customer regarding Gorilla Glass. The customer had emailed to ask why the iPhone didn't use Gorilla Glass when it was so amazing, and it could help the durability of the phone.

Steve's reply (IIRC) was that they already did use Gorilla Glass, they just didn't go around shouting it from the rooftops.

Good point. When was the last time anyone hear ANY company, supplier, partner, or vendor say they did business with Apple? As in publicly tout it in an advertising campaign? If Apple is anything like the Fortune 500 company I work for: it would be never. Such public affiliations would be considered co-branding, and companies don't allow their suppliers, vendors and partners to flaunt their affiliation without paying for it. And Apple allows no logos except their own. No "Intel Inside" or "nvidia inside" stickers. No ads from Corning touting Apple as a customer for gorilla glass. Apple wouldn't allow it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #63 of 67
Here is the extract from SJ Bio about the creation of the iPhone and Gorilla Glass.

P.S. don't mind the russian text at the beginning

http://notabenoid.com/book/22806/750...rithm=0&untr=o
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Here is the extract from SJ Bio about the creation of the iPhone and Gorilla Glass.

P.S. don't mind the russian text at the beginning

http://notabenoid.com/book/22806/750...rithm=0&untr=o

Great article, thanks for sharing.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 67
How and why are the comments filled with what seems like a totally unnecessary argument?
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

How and why are the comments filled with what seems like a totally unnecessary argument?

Explain... please.

Thanks.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #67 of 67
They shout about use of Intel and Nvidia.
Obviously they managed secrecy in the contract to both keep the price down and price down elsewhere whenever it suits.


TO me, singing your suppliers tune just help price up their wares.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Weak non-iPad tablet sales reduce demand for Gorilla Glass