or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP CEO: Apple likely to take away PC leadership position next year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP CEO: Apple likely to take away PC leadership position next year - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My comprehension must be slow today, but what does she mean by the "important area in which we want to go"!? Tablets? (Didn't they just get rid of it? Is HP planning to re-enter?) Or PCs? (They still have it, i.e., no 'going' required?).

The area in which she is talking about is the area in which money is made, wherever that may be. Apple is there, a lot of other companies (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) are not. Since Apple makes a ton of money from the iPad, obviously that must be it. But wait, every other tablet except the iPad (including the Kindle Fire) doesn't make any money, let alone sell hardly at all. And since traditional computer that aren't called Macs don't make any money, they're really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Really, Apple's long-term strategy that was laid out over 10 years ago when Steve came back is really starting to hit 5th gear right about now. Of all of his accomplishments, making Apple a powerful and lasting juggernaut not only in the tech industry, but just in general, is unquestionably his greatest.
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I can defiantly see Apple becoming the major PC manufacturer in the US. In the world? I am not sure of that.

iPad being a competitor to the PC? I do see the iPad becoming a competitor to the PC but not in 2012. Maybe in 2013. I can see the iPad doing things that Laptops can do some day. Thats when Laptops will start to become obsolete.

In some ways Apple is in a major growth and development stage. I honestly think that the best is yet to come.

Most people use their PC to surf the net, listen to music, and watch movies. In other words, to consume. That's exactly what the iPad is targeted for. So yes, as many articles state, the iPad is taking the place of a PC for many people at this point right now in 2012, and it will only get more divisive. It has for my wife and many others just like her.

Microsoft Office is ready to launch for the iPad. With cloud computing to store my work, why in the world would I want something as cumbersome as a laptop?
post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't really matter how those ignorant baboons classify iPads. The fact of the matter is that fewer and fewer people are buying PC's. I wonder why?

Whether iPads are classified as toys, computers or glorified eReaders, consumers are buying them at the same price and maybe more than the cost of a 'real' computer and that's all that really matters. Apple is taking money away from rivals. Apple doesn't care what iPads are classified as by the media. Consumers are willing to pay for iPads as either a replacement or an alternative to Windows PCs. That's a huge win for Apple and I'm sure Wintel rivals are jealous as all hell.

What's the saying that "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet." Apple's iPad is smelling like a bouquet of roses.
post #44 of 59
HP had a chance with WebOS and they blew it.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Meg is right- a tablet is not a pc- it cant run the programs a Pc can and typing is a chore comparibly without adding an external keyboard. I agree that it is mainly used for email and web consumption.

You agree because you either don't own one, or you're just a web browsing guy. Search the app store and you'll be amazed at what people are doing with tablets. People are editing movies, delivering presentations, making music... pilots are using them in the cockpits of airplanes. Just for email and web? Hardly. I bought an iPad for editing photography.

And let's talk about what a chore typing on a PC is without an external keyboard. You're penalizing tablets for having capabilities that traditional computers without touchscreens do not? That's nutty.

Finally... what's this garbage about tablets not being able to run programs PCs can? Macs can't run windows apps without emulation. Windows can't run Mac apps. Linux can't run either. Why judge tablets differently? My iPad can't run windows apps, and windows can't run iPad apps.
post #46 of 59
The reason the Slate failed is simple - Windows sucks on tablets. I'm evaluating a Fujitsu Windows 7 tablet right now:

- The screen is largely unresponsive to finger touches despite being capacitive, forcing you to use the (not supplied) clunky, battery-powered stylus.
- The on-screen keyboard almost always obscurs the focused field so you can't see what you're "typing" without moving the keyboard around. It doesn't remeber it's position.
- The on-screen keybord regularly disappears while typing, fails to appear when needed, and also randomly switches to handwriting mode. OTOH handwriting recognition is quite good.
- The stylus moves the pointer even when it's two inches away from the screen, making it very difficult to move the pointer to a specific point and keep it there
- The 1.6Ghz Atom is achingly slow, with the pointer usually being half a second behind the location of the stylus.
- The device actually came with driver CDs....

These are a combination of hardware and software problems, but the iPad and even my 2nd gen iPod Touch knocks a Win7 tablet into a cocked hat. I suspect Windows 8 will be too late, and still to sucky, to do anything about it.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #47 of 59
Don't worry HP. Unless Apple comes out with a mini tower or some other desktop between the mini and the Pro there will always be people buying Windows PCs.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Meg is right- a tablet is not a pc- it cant run the programs a Pc can and typing is a chore comparibly without adding an external keyboard. I agree that it is mainly used for email and web consumption.

But where meg is wrong is by saying it won't infringe on of sales. How about people that only consume email and surf the web. There are tens of thousands of those people.

[EDIT] - deleted because 2oh1 put much better than I did.

BOT: this is some refreshing candor from Meg - I hope she can provide some solid leadership for HP.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

So that means fewer people than originally forecasted are buying PCs. So he really was correct with what he was saying.....

Wrong. Forecasts are meaningless. He said that the number of people buying PCs was declining - which was incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Globally, you're correct. Even though PC sales have dramatically declined, the growth rate was down to 3.8%, according to your link, so there still is a slight growth.

And that's what we were talking about.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 59
Surprise, surprise! It _needn't_ be purely for data "consumption". Already, there are *rudimentary* photo editors (e.g. Photogene and Photoforge), *rudimentary* word processors (e.g. Pages and the upcoming M$ stuff), and *rudimentary* code editors/FTP capabilitities (e.g. Textastic and Koder). _Maybe_ add an external keyboard and you have a measure of power!
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


Really, Apple's long-term strategy that was laid out over 10 years ago when Steve came back is really starting to hit 5th gear right about now. Of all of his accomplishments, making Apple a powerful and lasting juggernaut not only in the tech industry, but just in general, is unquestionably his greatest.

Agreed. Apple competitors repeatedly say "tomorrow will be better". Yes, you could point out, this is also what Apple says ... but in the case of Apple, facts always prove to be in line with the estimations (may be not the ones of the analysts, which have no value, but with Apple's ones) ...
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

NO. The rate of growth is slowing down, but it's still growing. Each year, more PCs are sold than the year before, so fewer people are NOT buying PCs.

Using Reuter's data, 3.8% more PCs will be sold this year than last year.

The rate of growth has to slow down, market saturation will always cause that.
post #53 of 59
I always laugh at anyone who would classify a tablet running a mobile OS the same as a computer running a full OS (OSX or Windows).

Tablets do cannibalize PC sales. This is a fact that is not disputable. Even Apple admits that the iPad is eating at MacBook sales.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply
post #54 of 59
She is a moron.
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

People are editing movies, delivering presentations, making music... pilots are using them in the cockpits of airplanes. Just for email and web? Hardly. I bought an iPad for editing photography.

I wonder if one day tablets will overtake traditional computers in capabilities for all but keyboard-intensive work.

Does the touchscreen work better than a mouse for editing photography?
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

You agree because you either don't own one, or you're just a web browsing guy. Search the app store and you'll be amazed at what people are doing with tablets. People are editing movies, delivering presentations, making music... pilots are using them in the cockpits of airplanes. Just for email and web? Hardly. I bought an iPad for editing photography.

And let's talk about what a chore typing on a PC is without an external keyboard. You're penalizing tablets for having capabilities that traditional computers without touchscreens do not? That's nutty.

Finally... what's this garbage about tablets not being able to run programs PCs can? Macs can't run windows apps without emulation. Windows can't run Mac apps. Linux can't run either. Why judge tablets differently? My iPad can't run windows apps, and windows can't run iPad apps.

You're kidding, right? While I don't think anything you are saying is a lie, you can't possibly tell me that editing using iPhoto or a number of other photo editing apps (or video editing) is NEAR the caliber of that on a Laptop or Desktop. iMovie (We won't even mention any other video editing software like premier elements, premiere, or FCP) is lightyears better than anything on the iPad can do. If you want to edit photography (and I mean REALLY edit it- not just change it to a sepia tone)- you can't do 1/10 on an iPad what you can do on a desktop. So while you are sitting there telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about- the fact that you "bought an iPad for editing photography" is lunacy. Unless your editing is very very very minimal editing. You realize you have less than 10 inches to work with.... right (no jokes )?

Yes- it's a chore to type! If you were writing a 2 page paper, you're telling me you can do it on an iPad easier than a laptop?!?! That's nutty???? I can type on my iPhone faster than my iPad- iOS 5 and the split keyboard help- but its not the same. If you had a laptop and iPad next to each other and I told you to write me 10 paragraphs fast- you're gonna pick up the iPad?

Finally- THEY CANT RUN THE SAME PROGRAMS! I can run ALMOST anything on my Mac or at least something comparable to a Windows-only software. And vice-versa, Windows can run similar or the same programs as Mac. (i.e- Office, Adobe, etc.) But tablets should be judged differently! Their apps are designed to be "lesser" versions of software- Perfect example- iWork suite or Filemaker- Both Apple Owned Applications. Filemaker Go on my iPad is GREAT, but I can't do everything I can do on my iMac or MacBook (i.e.- create new fields!)

And yes, I have an iPad. And I'm not just a web browsing guy- although I use an iPad for web browsing, some presentations, movies, and e-mail. If I played games, it would be great too. I have different tools for different things. And a desktop or laptop is going to do things a tablet can't- period. Like I said in my original post- The iPad is perfect for most people's uses- Web browsing, gaming, e-mail, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

I always laugh at anyone who would classify a tablet running a mobile OS the same as a computer running a full OS (OSX or Windows).

Me too (see above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I wonder if one day tablets will overtake traditional computers in capabilities for all but keyboard-intensive work.

Does the touchscreen work better than a mouse for editing photography?

I think would they will eventually- but not in the near future... who knows what new technology will come out in 15 years? Will we even have screens? Oh the future....

And to answer your question- No.. not at ALL. There is a reason professionals have 27" screens and use Photoshop (not 9.7" screens and Photoshop Express on the iPad).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

They need 200 employees to do that study? That's some decisive executive.
600 sitting on webOS? At least they are not contributing to the unemployment stats.

I would doubt they were hired just to do the analysis. In fact, if you picked at that, my guess would be a lot of those people were generating raw data which they gave to smaller team on analysts, who rolled them up to a small team of executives that presented the final recommendation to Whitman.
post #58 of 59
I think that the iPad is a great device. Don't get me wrong. but right now it is not a device the average consumer is calling a replacement to their computer. Most people are seeing it as a high-priced toy. When a person goes to but their college bound kid a computer for college and the average family is leaving with a Tablet then it will be a PC replacement. But now, its not. Why would in reality some-one pay an extra hundred for a Tablet when they lose a lot of functionality for portability and battery life. A $350 does everything and more then an iPad 2. It will allow for more media options. It will allow for better we browsing, Better email, better document creation, and it will have a wider arrange of programs available where as the PC MAc or Windows will give a wide range of options. (remember many apps are not found on a full computer because they are just connections to a web based: service, Facebook, ebay, and Your bank). It may get there one day but as of now consumers don't want it as a PC replacement.
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I think that the iPad is a great device. Don't get me wrong. but right now it is not a device the average consumer is calling a replacement to their computer. Most people are seeing it as a high-priced toy. When a person goes to but their college bound kid a computer for college and the average family is leaving with a Tablet then it will be a PC replacement. But now, its not. Why would in reality some-one pay an extra hundred for a Tablet when they lose a lot of functionality for portability and battery life. A $350 does everything and more then an iPad 2. It will allow for more media options. It will allow for better we browsing, Better email, better document creation, and it will have a wider arrange of programs available where as the PC MAc or Windows will give a wide range of options. (remember many apps are not found on a full computer because they are just connections to a web based: service, Facebook, ebay, and Your bank). It may get there one day but as of now consumers don't want it as a PC replacement.

yes, I am sure many people are not confident enough at this present time to purchase an ipad as a replacement PC, but as more people use them, that will happen more and more. Just the other day I had to take my 13 inch Dell laptop, its power brick and a usb 3G dongle on a three day trip where I just wanted carry-on luggage. And all the time, I knew that the ipad would have been all I needed on this trip (email, citrix access etc.), it would have taken up one bitsateenth of the space, and its power brick was also likewise tiny and light in comparison. Did I mention an iPad also needs recharging much less often?

My position nowadays is why buy a lowish end laptop (my Dell wasn't cheap) when you can have an ipad?

I doubt I will buy another laptop. eva.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • HP CEO: Apple likely to take away PC leadership position next year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › HP CEO: Apple likely to take away PC leadership position next year