or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Syria bans Apple's iPhone in attempt to silence protesters
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Syria bans Apple's iPhone in attempt to silence protesters

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 
Government authorities in Syria have reportedly banned the use of Apple's iPhone, as the country tries to quell protesters who seek to oust President Bashar Assad.

The Syrian Finance Ministry's Customs Department is serving activists with notices that read: "The authorities warn anyone against using the iPhone in Syria," according to Lebanese website El Nashara (via The Next Web). The report includes a picture of the notice that is reportedly being distributed to protesters, alerting them of the ban on Apple's iPhone.

Authorities are believed to be targeting the iPhone because protesters have been using it to capture violent clashes between themselves and the government. Those videos are then uploaded to the Internet where others can see them, providing more fuel for the protests to continue.

The report gave no indication as to whether authorities in Syria are cracking down on other smartphones with video recording capabilities besides the iPhone.

The conflict has now been raging for 8 months, and November was the deadliest month yet in Syria, with nearly 1,000 people killed. The United Nations has estimated that more than 4,000 people have died since the protests began in March, according to The Associated Press.



Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was actually of Syrian descent, as his biological father Abdulfattah John Jandali migrated to America. Jobs was given up for adoption, and the two never formally met, though biographer Walter Isaacson revealed in his book that the two did cross paths coincidentally.

Jandali actually became involved in the Syrian dispute this week, with a new video uploaded to YouTube for the "Syrian Sit-In" movement. "I am in solidarity with the Syrian people," he said.
post #2 of 60
In before Georgy from 9to5 posts saying that this is a lie.

And here's an image of a memo warning of the ban. I can't seem to get to this story on the AppleInsider page proper, so I don't know if it has images, too.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #3 of 60
This is interesting since it is illegal to export US goods to Syria in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In before Georgy from 9to5 posts saying that this is a lie.

And here's an image of a memo warning of the ban. I can't seem to get to this story on the AppleInsider page proper, so I don't know if it has images, too.


I saw that this morning on twitter from my friends from Lebanon and Syria. I've been to syria before. For $2 you can pass anything through customs. However, now it might be different because of all the killing.
post #4 of 60
Apple should make a new TV commercial.

The iPhone. The phone that's so great that some people actually risk death just to use one.

Is an Android phone worth getting killed over? I don't think so.
post #5 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should make a new TV commercial.

The iPhone. The phone that's so great that some people actually risk death just to use one.

Is an Android phone worth getting killed over? I don't think so.

Was that necesary? The article states pretty much any smart phone. So yes, someone pulling out a Galaxy SII could get killed...


Or one of those original RAZRS...
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

Was that necesary? The article states pretty much any smart phone. So yes, someone pulling out a Galaxy SII could get killed...

Actually, the iPhone is specifically mentioned. Did you read the article?

The report gave no indication as to whether authorities in Syria are cracking down on other smartphones with video recording capabilities besides the iPhone.
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Actually, the iPhone is specifically mentioned. Did you read the article?

The report gave no indication as to whether authorities in Syria are cracking down on other smartphones with video recording capabilities besides the iPhone.

Typically in those countries, advanced phones would be banned any way. Remeber some middle eastern countries cutting off the internet? I doubt this is just an iPhone ban, unless the country hates Apple for some reason. The ban was in affect for the video recording. I think it would be highly inefficent to just ban one phone and not another. Especially considering many phones have video quality on par (GalaxySII) or better (Nokia N8) of the iPhone.

Time to start cutting cell phone poles down now...
post #8 of 60
Also, Steve Jobs dad is from Syria, so...........
Quote:
I am in solidarity with the Syrian people. I reject the brutality and killing that the Syrian authorities are committing against the unarmed Syrian people. And because silence is participation in this crime, I declare my participation in the Syrian Sit-in on YouTube.

-John Jandali
post #9 of 60
This is the last straw. You can email theambassador@syrembassy.net and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed, or else all necessary force will be used to remove the Syrian government. Syrian law is irrelevant because the government is illegitimate. Make your threat unequivocal and uncompromising and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed by tomorrow, or else.
post #10 of 60
Hmmm, good luck with the ban, it seems that this is the kind of thing that would stir things up on the protestor's side even more.
post #11 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

Also, Steve Jobs dad is from Syria, so...........

That's not Steve Jobs' father. HIs father was the person who adopted him and raised him. Being a biological sperm donor, doesn't make somebody a father.

Steve Jobs didn't even care to meet with that guy, so I doubt he thought much of him.
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

I doubt this is just an iPhone ban, unless the country hates Apple for some reason.

You stated that the article pretty much states any phone, and I pointed out that that is not the case. It is the iPhone that is specifically mentioned. It may be that other phones are banned too, but the only phone mentioned is the iPhone. Look at the picture of the memo that a few people posted in this thread.
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should make a new TV commercial.

The iPhone. The phone that's so great that some people actually risk death just to use one.

Is an Android phone worth getting killed over? I don't think so.

NO phone is worth losing your life over.
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

This is the last straw. You can email theambassador@syrembassy.net and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed, or else all necessary force will be used to remove the Syrian government. Syrian law is irrelevant because the government is illegitimate. Make your threat unequivocal and uncompromising and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed by tomorrow, or else.

The all new iPhone 4S. With the power to over power any Android phone, or government in its way.
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

NO phone is worth losing your life over.

No kidding. It was just a joke.

If somebody robbed me at gunpoint, I would gladly hand over an iPhone, an iPad or whatever, if I was unable to kill the robber.

Everything is backed up to the cloud, so you just go and get a new one, and in a few minutes you'll be up and running again.
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No kidding. It was just a joke.

If somebody robbed me at gunpoint, I would gladly hand over an iPhone, an iPad or whatever, if I was unable to kill the robber.

Everything is backed up to the cloud, so you just go and get a new one, and in a few minutes you'll be up and running again.

But what if your iPhone was bullet proof?
post #17 of 60
Are you sure they haven't learned a thing or two from our corporations?

Many years ago I had a number of customers complaining so I instructed them to call the main office since that is where the decision is made. The "solution" to the problem handed down from the main office was to stop giving out their phone number.

Obviously an entirely different on the scale of human tragedies here - but the basic mindset is the same.

Or perhaps this is more along the lines of a two year old - who thinks that if you can't see them they can't see you. Just how short-sighted - or perhaps delusional do you have to be to think that stopping the public from knowing about the atrocities you commit is going to make it okay that you continue to commit them?
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In before Georgy from 9to5 posts saying that this is a lie.

And here's an image of a memo warning of the ban. I can't seem to get to this story on the AppleInsider page proper, so I don't know if it has images, too.

The memo warns against the use of the iPhone in Syria, not importing it to Syria, there's a difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's not Steve Jobs' father. HIs father was the person who adopted him and raised him. Being a biological sperm donor, doesn't make somebody a father.

Steve Jobs didn't even care to meet with that guy, so I doubt he thought much of him.

His dad is more than a "sperm donor", the personality, genes, biological form, attitude, temper, and a whole slew of other qualities and dispositions are transferred from the biological father and biological mother to the biological son. We are, after all, biological beings.

Besides, realizing you made a mistake and cannot afford to raise a child, and you put him up for adoption to a family that can, deserves credit.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #19 of 60
Free flow of information is the enemy of any oppressive government. I'm not surprised they are afraid of a 4.5" device that includes a video camera, microphone and Internet connection.

Why do they allow any cellphones at all, if they are serious about maintaining control.
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The memo warns against the use of the iPhone in Syria, not importing it to Syria, there's a difference.

That's the point I was making… the former, not the latter.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

The memo warns against the use of the iPhone in Syria, not importing it to Syria, there's a difference.




His dad is more than a "sperm donor", the personality, genes, biological form, attitude, temper, and a whole slew of other qualities and dispositions are transferred from the biological father and biological mother to the biological son. We are, after all, biological beings.

Besides, realizing you made a mistake and cannot afford to raise a child, and you put him up for adoption to a family that can, deserves credit.

Reading Mr. Jobs' Biography.....I think it made him angry. Especially a story he told in the beginning.
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the point I was making the former, not the latter.

So can you carry it around, just not use it? What do they mean by use? I wonder...
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

We are, after all, biological beings.

Of course there is DNA that is passed on from the biological parents, but if I recall correctly, in that Steve Jobs biography which I read, if you asked him who his father was, it would be his adoptive father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Besides, realizing you made a mistake and cannot afford to raise a child, and you put him up for adoption to a family that can, deserves credit.

I disagree, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. People who put their own babies up for adoption do not deserve any credit. It's a pretty low thing to do and nothing to be proud about.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should make a new TV commercial.

The iPhone. The phone that's so great that some people actually risk death just to use one.

Is an Android phone worth getting killed over? I don't think so.

What an unserious comment! Ugh!
post #25 of 60
Can't you all see Google's hand behind this?

The all important Syrian market will now be dominated by Android.
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

What an unserious comment! Ugh!

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. It wasn't supposed to be a serious comment.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

The ban was in affect for the video recording. I think it would be highly inefficent to just ban one phone and not another. Especially considering many phones have video quality on par (GalaxySII) or better (Nokia N8) of the iPhone..

The ban specifically says iPhone, and if you actually look at the document, the word "IPHONE" is spelled in English (all caps).

Quote:
...Typically in those countries, advanced phones would be banned any way. Remeber some middle eastern countries cutting off the internet?

That's probably the shallowest comment I have read all month. You do know that iOS and Android sell very well in the middle-east right? And that both OSes support Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu, Farsi, and Hindi which are all middle-eastern languages right? And implementing these languages is very complicated and requires major resources... right?

Syria is unlike any other Arab world government in that it's government is very brutal and dictatorial. The government employs severe punishments and torture, people see Lebanon as an advanced nation.

Quote:
...Time to start cutting cell phone poles down now..

You mean cell phone towers. Telephone poles are not cell-phone towers.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #28 of 60
Is it possible that the word "iphone" in this case is simply a stand in for any smartphone? As in, the way people would say kleenex when they mean any old tissue, not just a kleenex branded tissue? I can't really read the text on the pic posted, it's too tiny. Can someone post a bigger version or a link to a bigger version?
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Of course there is DNA that is passed on from the biological parents, but if I recall correctly, in that Steve Jobs biography which I read, if you asked him who his father was, it would be his adoptive father.

I read it too. He never intentionally met his dad, but had he met him, he would've realize the similarities. If you had kids you would know what I'm talking about. Saying that something doesn't exist doesn't make it so.


Quote:
I disagree, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. People who put their own babies up for adoption do not deserve any credit. It's a pretty low thing to do and nothing to be proud about.

His dad never said he was proud of his decision, but had he not put him up for adoption, SJ would probably be managing a casino for a living.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

This is the last straw. You can email theambassador@syrembassy.net and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed, or else all necessary force will be used to remove the Syrian government. Syrian law is irrelevant because the government is illegitimate. Make your threat unequivocal and uncompromising and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed by tomorrow, or else.

Or how about instead you speak out about the government nastiness that invoked the protests in the first place.

Or do you not care about that and instead only care about getting your daily dose of protest porn on YouTube

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


His dad never said he was proud of his decision, but had he not put him up for adoption, SJ would probably be managing a casino for a living.

Steve's FATHER did not put him up for adoption. His mother did after Dad decided he couldn't have a white girlfriend/wife after all and she felt she didn't have the means to care for a baby.

Dad's racism is why Steve wasn't compelled to find his father.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

. People who put their own babies up for adoption do not deserve any credit. It's a pretty low thing to do and nothing to be proud about.

so you think that his birth mother was some lazy nasty beeyotch because she gave up her child rather than risk him starving and being homeless because she couldn't make enough to properly support him on her own

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #33 of 60
Hey, the new Razr advertises Kevlar-like backing. Maybe someone can take all the banned Razr's, stitch them together, and use them as flak jackets - handing them out to all the protesters.
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Steve's FATHER did not put him up for adoption. His mother did after Dad decided he couldn't have a white girlfriend/wife after all and she felt she didn't have the means to care for a baby.

Dad's racism is why Steve wasn't compelled to find his father.

Exactly. Not to mention the religous backgrounds of Steve's mother and father; not only were they incompatible, it was a religous sin to have a child out of wedlock. But then they got back together after Steve was gone. Hm....
post #35 of 60
.....
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

This is the last straw. You can email theambassador@syrembassy.net and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed, or else all necessary force will be used to remove the Syrian government. Syrian law is irrelevant because the government is illegitimate. Make your threat unequivocal and uncompromising and demand that the iPhone ban be reversed by tomorrow, or else.

Right on.
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so you think that his birth mother was some lazy nasty beeyotch because she gave up her child rather than risk him starving and being homeless because she couldn't make enough to properly support him on her own

Those are your words, not mine.

However, yes, I do think that people who are unable to provide support for their offspring should not procreate.
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those are your words, not mine.

However, yes, I do think that people who are unable to provide support for their offspring should not procreate.

We'd have a very empty world then.









....but somehow better.
post #39 of 60
"The iPhone 4S... More revolutionary than ever!"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"The iPhone 4S... More revolutionary than ever!"

That was a good one.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Syria bans Apple's iPhone in attempt to silence protesters