or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple offered alternative designs for Galaxy Tab to protect patents

Apple offered alternative designs for Galaxy Tab to protect patents - Page 3

post #81 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple is being ridiculous. There are plenty vendors with original smartphones and tablet designs that have every single one of those features. Of course Samsung isn't even close to being one of those vendors.

What's really funny is that that list of characteristics has been tried by Apple already. It seems like Apple doesn't care as long as it doesn't look like an iPad.

Here's a history of Apple tablets that never made it to market, but don't have rounded corners and are cluttered.

http://liquidpubs.com/blog/2010/11/0...puter-history/
post #82 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sigh - at one point there was a company talking about coming out with an iPhone case that would provide real buttons - I wish someone would. It would be perfect for the iPhone/iPod touch.

Quote:

LOL - one of my favorite Samsung/Apple in-court moments is when one of the judges (in America if memory serves) held both over her head and challenged the Samsun lawyers to point out the Samsung tablet over the iPad.
post #83 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So, can samsung claim that they based their design of the galaxy tab 10.1 off said device, and not the iPad?

Not in this forum they can't.
post #84 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by serkol View Post

With such dumb-ass arguments like "rectangular shape" they are just asking for trouble.

Apple has no choice but to protect its intellectual property.
post #85 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by serkol View Post

It will be harder and harder for Apple to get away with this king of "intellectual property protection". It is not an underdog anymore.

What does that have to do with anything? Companies copying other companies is only bad if the company copied from is small?

What kind of twisted relativistic logic is that?

Quote:
They have lost the case in Australia. My feeling is that they will lose the appeal

How about letting the process work it's way out before coming to conclusions?

Quote:
and they will start losing more cases

from your lips...

Quote:
Now Apple is the largest public company in the world. Governments always try to find a way how to break such companies apart (to improve competition) or how to restrict them from stiffing the competition in other ways.

If your right and governments are really that stupid, expect more economies to continue to suck.

Even China has realized the economic detriment of cloning and has started cracking down on stuff that five years ago wouldn't have even gotten attention.

Quote:
With such dumb-ass arguments like "rectangular shape" they are just asking for trouble.

Well, at least we agree there are "dumb-ass arguments"
post #86 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriner View Post

sounds like apple is afraid of Samsung.

I was playing with a Galaxy Tab 8.9 at Best Buy yesterday. It is sweet.

The 10 inch pads are too big to carry outside the house, and the 7 inch ones can be hard to read without zooming.

The Galaxy Tab 8.9 seems to really hit the sweet spot.
post #87 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Maybe Apple is jealous of the success enjoyed by Android tablets. lol

Maybe they are just pissed that other companies waited for their success and then blindly copied them?

Nope - it can't be that at all

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone and multi-touch, how did he end it?

"And boy have we patented it"

If that's not a clear warning, I don't know what more you would have to have him do?!?

If the design of the iPhone and iPad was so obvious, why was Apple the first to combine all those elements? Why isn't that question being asked or answered? Probably because it doesn't follow the "Apple is just being mean" groupthink
post #88 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Well, Apple didn't invemt the tablet, but they did invent the tablet market.

No kidding.

Quote:
I've also come to realize, that you must live in your own "special" little world.

He's not the only one, unfortunately. It never ceases to amaze me for someone who is so non-plussed with Apple products how many he purports to own, and then post about how disappointed or neutral he feels about them. Continually. In an Apple fan site. If there were only a term for such people...
post #89 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Let's face facts here...the chances of someone walking into an electronics store, and purchasing a Samsung Galaxy device somehow thinking it was an Apple product/iPad 2 are nearly infinitesimal, if for no other reason than the devices are all clearly labeled SAMSUNG on their surfaces, start-up screens, and packaging, in addition to running a completely different operating system.

Maybe you don't understand. Apple is targeting the stupid and the gullible among its expected iPad customers. Those customers need Apple's protection against dishonest companies like Amazon and Samsung.

The salesmen all say that the Samsung is basically the same as the iPad, but cheaper. So they fool Apple's rightful customers - the stupid and the gullible.

They should be put in jail. Apple is doing the right thing.
post #90 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe Apple should have considered the same 'design alternatives' before they used each of those design elements AFTER numerous others manufactures had be using them for years?

haha, yeah if samsung would have ripped off one of these, they wouldn't be in this trouble
post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

To the uninformed purchaser if it looks like it and feels like it and costs about as much then it must be the same.

And Apple should be allowed to OWN that sort of customer. They came in to the store because of Apple. If they are uninformed, they should be sold an Apple product. Simple as that. Anything else is misleading Apple's customer. Those Apple customers need protection against these dishonest companies who fool them. Apple is merely extending their warm blanket of consumer protection to the uninformed portion of their rightful customer base.
post #92 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Maybe they are just pissed that other companies waited for their success and then blindly copied them?

Nope - it can't be that at all

When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone and multi-touch, how did he end it?

"And boy have we patented it"

If that's not a clear warning, I don't know what more you would have to have him do?!?

If the design of the iPhone and iPad was so obvious, why was Apple the first to combine all those elements? Why isn't that question being asked or answered? Probably because it doesn't follow the "Apple is just being mean" groupthink

Dude, I agree with you.
post #93 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can't make a near exact copy of a Rolex watch and then claim that you're not infringing because you wrote 'Rulex' rather than 'Rolex' on the face of the watch. That's essentially what Samsung is doing. Making a slavish copy and then saying that they should be able to get it because it's from Samsung rather than Apple.

What if you write Nivrel?

[/I][/IMG]

Or Omega?

Or Casio?

Here's the Rolex:

post #94 of 130
For me, Samsung has copied Apple. That said, this list of suggestions, if it's real, is utterly facetious/ridiculous. I would pay money to see this read aloud in court with a straight face and watch the reaction of Samsung's representatives.

Poor form Apple, and that's from a fan.
post #95 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The 10 inch pads are too big to carry outside the house, and the 7 inch ones can be hard to read without zooming.

A 9.7" tablet is too big to carry outside of the house, but 8.9" is OK?

Are you as delusional in real life as you appear here?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #96 of 130
Quote:

Are you as delusional in real life as you appear here?

Galaxy Tab: 9.09" x 6.21" (230.9 mm x 157.8 mm)
iPad 2: 9.50" x 7.31" 241.2 mm x 185.7 mm)

Love to see the argument that 0.41" x 1.10" larger is a deal breaker. There are Samsung phones that have more of a size variance than that over the iPhone and won't fit in your pocket but are somehow not a big deal. As you move to larger devices the window for usable size clearly expands yet less than an inch on the diagonal puts the iPad into the "too big" category. I miss when trolls could actually form a decent rebuttal.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #97 of 130
Quote:

You need to actually pick it up and use it to understand. It is magical.

post #98 of 130
Here's what works for me:

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #99 of 130
In other words, Samsung could avoid lawsuits (and sales) by unleashing the Power of the Pyramid.
post #100 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

No, you can't, not in the conventional way. But you can certainly protect the look and feel of your product, based on a collection of features. It prevents consumer confusion and stops competitors from riding the leader's coattails.

According to the EU, if there is only one way of designing something you can't patent that design
post #101 of 130
Quote:

The whole point of this is to teach Samesung that blantant copying is not okay, outside Ong Kong and Korea. Seriously, have you looked at the box branding, the usb/dock connector, or the icons for gods sake! I mean, does Samesung have one original thinker in their entire business? I doubt it, since it wasn't until after the iPad 2 was released that Samesung went back to the drawing board on their 10.1 in order to rip off the look and feel of the then new, iPad2.

After Samesung gets their nuts kicked up into their throat, they'll think twice about ripping off Apple again. But considering Apple is the bar by which all else is measured, that may be tough for them.

Exactly.

The entire point of this lawsuit is not to defeat Samsung or stop them from selling phones & tablets, but to humiliate and expose them to the public for their copy cat lineup.

When this is all said and done, the LAST thing Samsung will be attempting to do in the future.. is continue to copy an apple product.
post #102 of 130
I see now these were examples of how Samsung could have differentiated their copycat designs, not specific things that vendors can't do.

post #103 of 130
This is all I know, and you can bet the farm that after all is said and done, much will have been said and nothing done to Samsung.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #104 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

According to the EU, if there is only one way of designing something you can't patent that design

Clearly there are multiple ways to design a tablet.

Also, per my example, it is the COMBINATION of a round inflatable trampoline AND the specific color scheme. Neither on its own means anything; it is the specific combination that is more than the sum of its parts. Which is what is central to a trade dress suit.
post #105 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I dont like the way any large tablet fits in my had, its hard to grip them, never really feels secure, I wish nook would resigned their belt loop, making large enough to slide your thumb in it, that way you have a positive grip on it.
post #106 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Some if those are moronic. Not a rectangle? What other shape would it be?

Anything but a rectangle.
Quote:
A black bezel is necessary for perceived contrast in video.

What about white iPads & iPhones?
Quote:
Apple has a design patent on flatness and thinness?

Apple did not file on any single of these points. It was the combination of them all so the final product looks like an iPad.
post #107 of 130
Quote:

Clearly there are multiple ways to design a tablet.

How many ways is there to design a rectangle?
post #108 of 130
Quote:

How many ways is there to design a rectangle?

Other tablets aren't simple rectangles. An organic shape that better fits the hand could work. Sony presented a slopes design. The front doesn't have to be flat: it could have a ridge along the bezel. The bezel doesn't have to be glossy. Etc.

Apple uses a minimalist design. You mistake that for the only way to make it. Minimalism isn't the only way to design things. Look at phones: most look way different than the iPhone, which is "just a rectangle".
post #109 of 130
Quote:

Other tablets aren't simple rectangles. An organic shape that better fits the hand could work. Sony presented a slopes design. The front doesn't have to be flat: it could have a ridge along the bezel. The bezel doesn't have to be glossy. Etc.

Apple uses a minimalist design. You mistake that for the only way to make it. Minimalism isn't the only way to design things. Look at phones: most look way different than the iPhone, which is "just a rectangle".

Not from the front they dont. They all have a flat slab of glass with a black border and rounded corners.
post #110 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

This is a legal requirement in many countries to protect either patents or copyright. Doing nothing when these are infringed essentially can mean giving up all legal protection on your investment in design.

You got it, although it's trademarks. That said in most countries trade dress patents fall into the same group.

Part of that requirement is that if you don't protect now you lose the right to protect later. Apple can't risk that a judge would say that Samsung is a blatant copy when they are trying to sue some company over a point for point knock off. And since they let Samsung get away with it clearly they don't care about the design etc so they lose this new case also
post #111 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhero View Post

Yeah, I wonder what an iPad using 2003-2007 manufactoring processes would look like...

iPhones started in 2006 so one would hazard that, since the iPad is just a big iPhone, it would look basically like that.
post #112 of 130
Quote:

And according to Apple, there clearly is NOT.

Heck even they with the iPad have had two different physical designs. Similar in some ways yes. But the iPad 1 is not an identical copy of the iPad 2. Plus you have Microsoft showing that you most definitely do not have to have little icons on a screen or even a 'bar' to make a UI. And so on
post #113 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Brown View Post

Not from the front they dont. They all have a flat slab of glass with a black border and rounded corners.

And when exactly did all of those phones start having a flat slab of glass with a black border and rounded corners.

About the same time that the iPhone was originally announced. More to the point, shortly after.

Even Android turn a huge right turn after the iPhone was announced. Before that, the prototypes etc showed a RIM style program. Then after the iPhone was announced they suddenly went all touchscreen etc.

but of course that's total coincidence.
post #114 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna;2000830 . . .

But of course that's total coincidence.

or dependent on available, economically viable technology coupled with consumer demands.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #115 of 130
Quote:

So the industrial tablets I used in the early nighties should have been designed differently as well since they were a rectangle? And they had a flat front.

ANd you finish off trying to say that Apple is the only companiy allowed to make a candy bar shaped phone? They were the last to the party when it came to that shape
post #116 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And according to Apple, there clearly is NOT.

Others have tried a similar claim before and lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Heck even they with the iPad have had two different physical designs. Similar in some ways yes. But the iPad 1 is not an identical copy of the iPad 2. Plus you have Microsoft showing that you most definitely do not have to have little icons on a screen or even a 'bar' to make a UI. And so on

The Nokia 7650 I had in 2002 had little icons on a screen in a grid, or is it ok for Apple to copy? (sorry, it is called inovation on this site)
post #117 of 130
Quote:

The whole point of this is to teach Samesung that blantant copying is not okay, outside Ong Kong and Korea. Seriously, have you looked at the box branding, the usb/dock connector, or the icons for gods sake! I mean, does Samesung have one original thinker in their entire business? I doubt it, since it wasn't until after the iPad 2 was released that Samesung went back to the drawing board on their 10.1 in order to rip off the look and feel of the then new, iPad2.

After Samesung gets their nuts kicked up into their throat, they'll think twice about ripping off Apple again. But considering Apple is the bar by which all else is measured, that may be tough for them.

I don't want to be a blind Apple fanboy but Sammy is riding Apple's d*** on this one.
Hell, go to Wallgreens, CVS and check out their knock offs to popular, big name products. They use the same color scheme and design as the national brands we know of.
Sammy is just to lazy. I can't wait for the Apple HD tvs. You know their coming rumor or not. And watch Sammy copy those to.
post #118 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That digital photo viewer only resembles the iPad on one plane in one view, not all of them. And then there is Samsung copying iOS for their UI layer. I think Samsung is clearly a KIRF, but I don't think any one of these listings are an issue, a right for Apple, and really just makes Apple look silly.

KIRF is everywhere. Go to the flea market and you'll see that junk all over the place!! Fake Jordan's, Dolche and Gabana etc.
post #119 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

KIRF is everywhere. Go to the flea market and you'll see that junk all over the place!! Fake Jordan's, Dolche and Gabana etc.

I misspoke when I wrote KIRF. Samsung is ripping off but not trying to pass their wares as the brand name product.

I don't go to flea markets but I have seen plenty of KIRFs in NYC. I wonder how much these fakes affect the brand name companies. I don't think most KIRF buyers would be customers due to cost but it does dilute the brand's haut monde by seeing so many of these knocks offs.

post #120 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sammy is just to lazy.

Sammy is not "to lazy". That is Adobe.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple offered alternative designs for Galaxy Tab to protect patents