or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may build data center near Facebook, Google operations in Oregon

Apple may build data center near Facebook, Google operations in Oregon

post #1 of 73
Apple may join Amazon, Facebook and Google in having a large data center operating in Prineville, Oregon, if it follows through on plans to build the new facility.

Citing two people with knowledge of Apple's plans, The Oregonian reported on Saturday that Apple is "nearing a decision" whether to build the new, "large" data center. If it does, the facility would be located a quarter of a mile south of a Facebook server farm that opened earlier this year.

"Apple would be the latest in a quick succession of big-name tech companies to build a data center in Oregon," author Mike Rogoway wrote. "The state is a hot destination for server farms, which attract huge investment but employ relatively few."

Apple reportedly dispatched representatives to tour Facebook's new facility in Prineville over the summer. But Apple's plans are said to be "in flux," as the iCloud operator wants to ensure there is adequate electricity available in Prineville.

The city is said to be a big attraction for tech companies like Apple and Amazon because of tax breaks, in addition to a mild climate and relatively low power costs. Depending on the size of the facility, if Apple chooses to build it, Apple could reportedly receive a tax exemption of several million dollars.

Apple opened a massive, 500,000-square-foot data center in Maiden, N.C., earlier this year. In October, it was revealed that the company also plans to build a new solar farm opposite the data center. The new $1 billion data center supports Apple's iTunes and iCloud services.
post #2 of 73
Apple has been using server farms for years with their extensive iTunes Store so what could these new massive server farms be used for? I don't think iCloud or Siri are going to cut it as answers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has been using server farms for years with their extensive iTunes Store so what could these new massive server farms be used for? I don't think iCloud or Siri are going to cut it as answers.

Their three mapping companies.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #4 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their three mapping companies.

And their own web search?

post #5 of 73
Quote:

I don't think iCloud or Siri are going to cut it as answers.

Why not?

iCloud and SIRI are relatively new things and perhaps more server space will be needed.

Apple is already backing up the contents of many, many millions of devices every single day.

With iCloud, SIRI and iTunes match, there is a hell of a lot of content for Apple to store. Who's to say that they simply don't need more space?

And tens of millions of people are buying new Apple devices every quarter. That's a lot of backing up for Apple to deal with.
post #6 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why not?

iCloud and SIRI are relatively new things and perhaps more server space will be needed.

Apple is already backing up the contents of many, many millions of devices every single day.

With iCloud, SIRI and iTunes match, there is a hell of a lot of content for Apple to store. Who's to say that they simply don't need more space?

And tens of millions of people are buying new Apple devices every quarter. That's a lot of backing up for Apple to deal with.

Compared to the data being pushed from the iTS and App Store over these years? I think this push for massive data centers are for something not yet released. Perhaps it involves your iCloud account (like an always ready television subscription) or Siri (like a more fully functional web search that competes more directly with Google), but it's something they have right now, IMO.

post #7 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may join Amazon, Facebook and Google in having a large data center operating in Prineville, Oregon, if it follows through on plans to build the new facility.

See what happens, North Carolina?

post #8 of 73
Quote:

Compared to the data being pushed from the iTS and App Store over these years? I think this push for massive data centers are for something not yet released. Perhaps it involves your iCloud account (like an always ready television subscription) or Siri (like a more fully functional web search that competes more directly with Google), but it's something they have right now, IMO.

You could be right that it's also for something else not yet released but I don't think that you can compare the iTunes store to iCloud, because as you said, iTunes has merely been pushing the content and delivering it to people, while with iCloud, it is the devices that are pushing the data to Apple every day and Apple has to store it.

If you count all of the people who use iCloud and have Macs, iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads, MBP's, Macbook Airs, that has got to be a lot of data for Apple to store.
post #9 of 73
Apple TV, streaming media, iCloud storage. There are plenty of reasons for Apple to build more data storage capacity.

What about when they open things up in China??? I mean really open it up!
post #10 of 73
Quote:

Maybe for the Apple Department of Redundancy Department ...
post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Maybe for the Apple Department of Redundancy Department ...

Oh yeah! I always forget about the ADRD.

post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

See what happens, North Carolina?

Hopefully the folks in Oregon won't be complaining about Apple's failure to provide local furniture trade jobs, like the folks in North Carolina.
post #13 of 73
Quote:

I'm not even sure about Apples ownership of the iTunes infrastructure. In any event consider the following.
  1. Geographic separation of facilities us very important. It is a security thing, imagine if one gets hit by a hurricane.
  2. Siri results in a significant load as apparently a lot of processing is done on the server. It is no surprise that Apple has limited Siri to iPhone 4S.
  3. Apple is very interested in mapping technology so that is a significant load.
  4. Related to #1 iCloud stores user data. You don't want that data stored in just one place. It needs to be replicated for reliability.
  5. iTunes, especially moves and TV shows use considerable bandwidth, spreading that load out across the country helps manage load on the pipes.
  6. For Siri to grow properly it will need access to multiple data sources This means Apple will need a knowledge base that it manages it would be faster that going to other sources but more important is Apples control over the data.

I could go on but one big theme is to keep all of your eggs out of one basket.
post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Hopefully the folks in Oregon won't be complaining about Apple's failure to provide local furniture trade jobs, like the folks in North Carolina.

One thing I'm certain of that has nothing to do with it. There is a strategy to locating such facilities.
post #15 of 73
Will Apple fill this new data center with the same Mac Mini and Mac Pro "Servers" that they tell their customers to use?
post #16 of 73
Apple is going to need more Data Center because of their Cloud initiatives.

Someone on the west coast should not be relying on the NC Data Center for their iCloud. This only serves to increase latency and diminish the effectiveness of utilizing the cloud.

The West coast should be handled by west coast DC and the East should be handled by eastern DC.

Pus I figure there will be more services rolled out over the new few years.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple is going to need more Data Center because of their Cloud initiatives.

Someone on the west coast should not be relying on the NC Data Center for their iCloud. This only serves to increase latency and diminish the effectiveness of utilizing the cloud.

The West coast should be handled by west coast DC and the East should be handled by eastern DC.

Pus I figure there will be more services rolled out over the new few years.

What...about....those....of....us....in.....space?
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

What...about....those....of....us....in.....space?

Mars Cloud

- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #19 of 73
Quote:

Mars Cloud

That would be so awesome. I'm gonna ask Siri if it's okay to take my helmet off!
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

We are used to not having any jobs in Oregon. The company I worked for just had a 20% lay off last month.

\
post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Apple

[;2000562'If you count all of the people who use iCloud and have Macs, iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads, MBP's, Macbook Airs, that has got to be a lot of data for Apple to store.

But is it? Most unique user content that is stored is text in one way or another. Media such as movies, books, music and magazines are not stored uniquely for each person. There is no additional storage requirement if 10 million people back up a particular song as opposed to one. Of the 5 gb allotted to each person for free I bet only half is used.

But Apple is increasingly developing web based services and I imagine their server requirements will continue to grow for a long time.
post #22 of 73
Quote:

And their own web search?

Yes, but it won't be called that. It'll be called Siri 2.0.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but it won't be called that. It'll be called Siri 2.0.

I wonder if Siri will ever get versionized or if it will just improve over time in both the backend periodically, and yearly with how much it can do with our devices.

post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will Apple fill this new data center with the same Mac Mini and Mac Pro "Servers" that they tell their customers to use?

Oh, hell, no? Why would they be using that low-end mess? This is the hardware that's being used in the Maiden data center facility: http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/06/06/...uipment-apple/
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Oh, hell, no? Why would they be using that low-end mess? This is the hardware that's being used in the Maiden data center facility: http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/06/06/...uipment-apple/

Based on his previous posts he feels that Apple would be hypocritical for not using their own consumer and prosumer machines.

post #26 of 73
Quote:

Mars Cloud

Moon cloud. (I like knowing it's nearby.)
post #27 of 73
Quote:

I wonder if Siri will ever get versionized or if it will just improve over time in both the backend periodically, and yearly with how much it can do with our devices.

It's weird to hear services versionized. I've never heard of versions attached to Google, Facebook, Amazon. YouTube, Twitter, or iTunes Store, even though the services have been (in some cases) radically rewritten, or changed. Siri is more of a service. If it is part of iOS, then it wouldn't be versioned apart from iOS.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's weird to hear services versionized. I've never heard of versions attached to Google, Facebook, Amazon. YouTube, Twitter, or iTunes Store, even though the services have been (in some cases) radically rewritten, or changed. Siri is more of a service. If it is part of iOS, then it wouldn't be versioned apart from iOS.

That's my thinking, though you made a better case than me as to why. I can see Apple applying some features to newer iOS versions but Siri should just be Siri, especially since they want it to be seen as AI not a bunch of computer code.

post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Of the 5 gb allotted to each person for free I bet only half is used.

That could be, but let's say that your figure is true. That still sounds like a lot of data.

How many devices in total?

I don't know for sure, a quarter of a billion? Maybe 200,000,000 ? Either way, it sounds like a lot of data, even if each one only uses up a few GB.
post #30 of 73
Quote:

That could be, but let's say that your figure is true. That still sounds like a lot of data.

I don't know for sure, a quarter of a billion? Maybe 200,000,000 ? Either way, it sounds like a lot of data, even if each one only uses up a few GB.

it's easy to check your per device usage. For my iPhone it says 23.7GB free of 25GB under Settings » iCloud » Backup & Storage. That's for two iPhones for a total of 817.5MB in backups and 546.1MB in Mail.

edit: Cleaned up backups and now it says 24.3GB out of 25GB with 141.1MB for my iPhone 4 (all apps selected) and Mail staying at 546.1MB. Honestly, not much at all, but I can see how all the free @me.com accounts could get big just for mail.

post #31 of 73
Quote:

it's easy to check your per device usage. For my iPhone it says 23.7GB free of 25GB under Settings » iCloud » Backup & Storage. That's for two iPhones for a total of 817.5MB in backups and 546.1MB in Mail.

On my iPad 2, I have 3.3 GB available out of 5 GB. And my iPad 16 GB is pretty much full, with not much more free space on it.
post #32 of 73
Quote:

On my iPad 2, I have 3.3 GB available out of 5 GB. And my iPad 16 GB is pretty much full, with not much more free space on it.

Yeah, the backup is only iOS 5.0 settings and apps using the iCloud APIs, along with the other things it records, like Mail.

I think developers can use the APIs to sync files the way Dropbox and SugarSync do across machines, but so far I haven't seen that done yet.

post #33 of 73
My, that is a large one.
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My, that is a large one.

"That's what she said!"

post #35 of 73
Why not build one in Chicago or Texas. That way you can have low latency on either coast and even less in Midwest. We have plenty of flat land to build it and a decent priced electricity. In the case of Chicago you can cover canada with low latency as well, and Texas could serve Mexican customers.

Having one center on the east coast never made sence to me so maybe this Oregon one will balance the load. It's just that tax breaks seem to play more into equation than location for some reason.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #36 of 73
tax breaks? Corporate welfare. Should not be allowed.
post #37 of 73
Quote:

Sure they would. As they expand iTunes offerings, plus have more and more devices that can run iCloud and Siri they will need to divide the load or suffer the same issues that turned Mobile Me into a steaming turd.

What I'm really wondering is if these companies will get a cut of the TV show that develops about Geekville or will they force the producers to make up a bunch of fake company names for this wacky tale of a town that has been taken over by not one, but three major tech companies and all the wacky new people who live there.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #38 of 73
Quote:

Sure - a couple of gigs multiplied by many many millions does add up to a fair amount of data Of my 25 gb allotment (I used to have a family account and was given 25gb but I suspect that will revert to 5 gbs when the year is up) I use 1.5 gbs. It makes the 5gb free limit seem plenty and it makes me wonder how on earth anybody would fill up 25gb were they to purchase extra storage.
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It makes the 5gb free limit seem plenty and it makes me wonder how on earth anybody would fill up 25gb were they to purchase extra storage.

Don't forget developers have access to iCloud APIs. Imagine A Dropbox-like app that will let you access and sync all your data in iCloud. The developer even gets to bypass having any storage servers of their own.

post #40 of 73
With our economy in shambles, these private companies are out to use extreme measures to try and avoid paying taxes.

So much for being corporate citizens.

"Buy American." Yeah, okay buddy.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may build data center near Facebook, Google operations in Oregon