or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's secret iOS code names inspired by ski resorts

Apple's secret iOS code names inspired by ski resorts

post #1 of 45
Though iOS code names are not advertised by Apple, the company still internally uses a series of secret names for each new build of its mobile operating system.

Unlike with new builds of Mac OS X, where Apple makes the software's code name part of its branding, the company sticks with a numeric approach for new iOS builds. But internally, the company has used a series of ski resorts across North America to identify each version of iOS.

The full list of iOS names was recently publicized by TiPb after developer Steve Troughton-Smith brought attention to the code names on Twitter. They begin with the first version of iOS in 2007, when version 1.0 was known as "Alpine," in reference to California's Alpine Meadows.

iOS 2.0 is internally known as "Big Bear," recalling Big Bear Lake, Calif. Another California resort, Kirkwood Mountain, also inspired the codename for iOS 3.0.

The iPad-only iOS 3.2 release came to the east coast to find a resort to inspire its "Wildcat" name, referencing a mountain in New Hampshire. And Apple went across the border, to British Columbia, Canada, for iOS 4.0 "Apex," named for the Apex Mountain Resort.

The latest major release of iOS, version 5.0, carries the codename "Telluride," taken from a ski resort in Colorado. Even Apple's next operating system release, iOS 5.1, has a codename: "Hoodoo." The secret title for iOS 5.1, currently in beta, is inspired by an Oregon ski resort.

Version 1.0 of iOS was given the code name "Alpine."

The full list of iOS code names so far is:
1.0: Alpine
1.1: Little Bear
2.0: Big Bear
2.1: Sugarbowl
2.2: Timberline
3.0: Kirkwood
3.1: Northstar
3.2: Wildcat
4.0: Apex
4.1: Baker
4.2: Jasper
4.3: Durango
5.0: Telluride
5.1: Hoodoo
Code names were originally used only internally for builds of Mac OS X 10.0 and up, with the first version known as "Cheetah." Eventually the cat-themed code names became part of the product branding, including this year's release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Apple's main competition in the mobile operating system space, Google's Android platform, is also publicly promoted with its code names. New Android builds, including version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and 3.0 Honeycomb, are named after desserts by Google.
post #2 of 45
Suicide Six in VT isn't there .... Lol
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 45
To think that a company such as Apple would have to resort to such a naming scheme.
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

To think that a company such as Apple would have to resort to such a naming scheme.

*twitch* *twitch*

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #5 of 45
Sadly, these are hardly secret. Anyone who's followed the jailbreak scene for any amount of time would know this. The entire list has been on theiphonewiki.com for quite some time. As a matter of fact, "alpine" is the default root password.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Suicide Six in VT isn't there .... Lol

Perhaps they're saving it for iOS 6.0!
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

Sadly, these are hardly secret. Anyone who's followed the jailbreak scene for any amount of time would know this. The entire list has been on theiphonewiki.com for quite some time. As a matter of fact, "alpine" is the default root password.

Yeah, I don't get why this is a story when the info has been known the entire time. Even Wikipedia has had them on their List of Apple Codenames page for 3 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=258167893

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #8 of 45
Yawn.
post #9 of 45
How about just making iOS work?
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Are you saying that Apple should spend less time thinking of silly sooper sekret code names, and more time getting rid of the battery bug in the i4S?
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Alpine for some more cool ski resort names!
post #12 of 45
To think that a company such as AppleInsider would have to resort to such a story.
post #13 of 45
Quote:

How about not trolling?

post #14 of 45
Everybody on the planet names projects with code names...everybody.
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about not trolling?

I haven't the foggiest idea what that poster meant.
I got Durango installed, and it's working great, except for occassionally losing wifi during FaceTime connections and the iPod app once being stuck in shuffle mode until I did a reboot. Otherwise, iOS is pretty stable compared to say, sugary snack OSes that need frequent reboots.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Everybody on the planet names projects with code names...everybody.

What about dessert chefs? You think they codename their desserts after famous scifi androids?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 45
Even Apple's codenames are awesome. They're brilliant. How do they do it? Ski resort names are much better than desserts; everyone knows that.

Look at the list of codenames: impeccable. They're way better than everyone else's codenames. Pure genius at work.
post #18 of 45
This is news?
post #19 of 45
So they copied this from Microsoft then, where ski resorts are used as the codenames for Windows:

Windows XP - Whistler
Windows Vista - Longhorn (a bar at Whistler-Blackcomb)
Windows 7 - Blackcomb

Seems like Cupertino have been starting their photocopiers.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I haven't the foggiest idea what that poster meant.
I got Durango installed, and it's working great, except for occassionally losing wifi during FaceTime connections and the iPod app once being stuck in shuffle mode until I did a reboot. Otherwise, iOS is pretty stable compared to say, sugary snack OSes that need frequent reboots.

Did you run out of battery before posting?
post #21 of 45
Mt Ashland Ski Resort. Ashland Oregon. Go Grizzlies.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #22 of 45
Quote:

I'll ask once more: Stop this.

post #23 of 45
I hope they don't name one after Blue Mountain (Poconos), because it would probably suck! Worst mountain ever...
post #24 of 45
Quote:

post #25 of 45
Are these places for Apple Top 100 retreats?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by caelitus View Post

Are these places for Apple Top 100 retreats?

Well, Heavenly isn't on there, and that's the default location for the Ski Report widget in Dashboard

post #27 of 45
Quote:

Well, Heavenly isn't on there, and that's the default location for the Ski Report widget in Dashboard…

Actually Heavenly was the codename for the publicly released iOS 1.0, 1.01 & 1.02. Alpine was the codename of iOS while it was still beta.
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Actually Heavenly was the codename for the publicly released iOS 1.0, 1.01 & 1.02. Alpine was the codename of iOS while it was still beta.

?! Source? That's interesting.

post #29 of 45
Quote:

?! Source? That's interesting.

Certainly...

Heavenly
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index....A543a_(iPhone)

Alpine
http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index....1A420_(iPhone)
post #30 of 45
Quote:

Awesome proof

Wow. I stand corrected. Maybe we can use the Dashboard widget to determine future OS version names not that that'll do any real good.

post #31 of 45
Quote:

Wow. I stand corrected. Maybe we can use the Dashboard widget to determine future OS version names… not that that'll do any real good.

And what would you have taken...hmmm

The only place that ever mentioned Alpine was MacRumors. Period.
post #32 of 45
Quote:

The only place that ever mentioned Alpine was MacRumors. Period.

Well, and the OS itself.

post #33 of 45
Quote:

Well, and the OS itself.

Well I guess the opposite could be used against you. What source do you have that 1.0 is codenamed Alpine? I'll wait.

As a matter of fact, the "list" that this very article mentions from Twitter has "Heavenly" as the second item in the list. Something this article conveniently omits.

EDIT: I'll correct myself. 1.0 was Alpine but never saw public release. 1.0.0 was Heavenly and was included on the original iPhone upon public release.
post #34 of 45
Quote:

Well I guess the opposite could be used against you. What source do you have that 1.0 is codenamed Alpine? I'll wait.

No, I'm not saying it IS, I'm saying there remained references to Alpine in the OS through 'alpine' remaining the password for the whatever it was; I forget the name of it

post #35 of 45
What about "Summit West" near Seattle. Isn't that the place where all the MS people hold their summit meetings on how to copy Apple's iOS technology.
post #36 of 45
Quote:

No, I'm not saying it IS, I'm saying there remained references to Alpine in the OS through 'alpine' remaining the password for the whatever it was; I forget the name of it

The root password that is highly recommended you change should you perform a jailbreak and install Terminal.app and/or openssh
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyensteinno View Post

what about "summit west" near seattle. Isn't that the place where all the ms people hold their summit meetings on how to copy apple's ios technology.

microsoft already is using that ski resort name
post #38 of 45
Some more codenames...

iOS 4.2.x CDMA - Phoenix

iOS 1.1-1.1.1 - Snowbird
iOS 1.1.2 - Oktoberfest
iOS 1.1.3-1.1.5 - Little Bear

iOS 4.0 AppleTV (displayed 4.1) - Mojave
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It is a test to see how far his new account can go before it's shutdown again.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It is a test to see how far his new account can go before it's shutdown again.

Who is it? Or, rather, who do you guys believe it is?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's secret iOS code names inspired by ski resorts