or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mitt Romney for President
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mitt Romney for President - Page 7

post #241 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

This is how people with a dearth of ideas speak.

You're a bully.

Baby.

Quote:



You bully gay people.

Nope.

Quote:



You bully poor people.

Never once.

Quote:



You bully those who disagree with you.

No. I press them to defend their positions.

Quote:

You want the US to bully Iran.

I want to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. I want Iran to stop threatening Israel. I want Iran to stop supporting terrorism. If you call that bullying, so be it.

Quote:

Yes, for humanity, that so many people like you exist.

It's amazing that after all the interactions over the years, you still have no idea who I am and what I believe.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #242 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So you cannot demonstrate why your position is the best approach. Got it.

How is calling someone delusional and a "Paul Tard" demonstrating why your position is the best approach? Because that's all you've really done besides parrot the pro-war propaganda that precedes every war.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way...saying that your position is fantasy is not an insult. Saying "Ron Paul and the Paul Tards" when referencing Paul's foreign policy is not calling you names.

"Paul Tards" is not a derogatory insult directed at anyone who supports Ron Paul? What is it then? A compliment?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #243 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You know, on this issue I really must. Why? Because we're not simply disagreeing about an issue. It's not like I'm arguing for military action in Iran while you argue against. It not just that an argument like that which happens to get heated. No, it's that you are espousing a view of the world that has been proven throughout history to result in disaster if implemented as policy.

Anyone with any understanding of history--of how the world works--knows that your approach (the Paul approach) is dangerous. The examples are numerous. Neville Chamberlin decided to leave Germany alone and agree to positive relations. The result? The Blitz. We decided to leave Japan alone despite growing evidence of its hostility. The result ? Pearl Harbor and entry into WWII. History is replete with such examples of what happens when strong nations withdraw and allow tyrants to have their way. It is further replete with examples of making the mistake of thinking our adversaries always share our values, as if somehow if we treat them differently, they will forget their ways and learn to embrace us. Your approach will do nothing but embolden Iran and ultimately put Israel and the United States at greater risk.

Think about it: You are actually saying that we should simply "leave them alone" and hope for the best. I'm sorry, but no. We can disagree about what to do and how to do it. But when you fundamentally refuse to understand and acknowledge how the world works, I'm going to call you out on it. Not only that, but when I see a group of people blindly and naively embrace these views, I'm going to label them what they are: Paul Tards. You should hear yourselves. You're looking out the window, seeing a bright sunny day. You're then running around telling everyone it's raining. You label this mere disagreement. I label it insane fantasy.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only difference is you see 5 lights.

You're not seeing history correctly. Iran is not 1930 Germany nor is it 1940 Japan. Not even close. Meanwhile the US is comparable to the USSR in 1980. What does history really tell you about overextending the military and making global enemies?
post #244 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Baby.

Nope.

Never once.

No. I press them to defend their positions.

I want to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. I want Iran to stop threatening Israel. I want Iran to stop supporting terrorism. If you call that bullying, so be it.

It's amazing that after all the interactions over the years, you still have no idea who I am and what I believe.

If you want to teach a kid not to hit other kids you don't do it by threatening to hit them. You are a bully and a wartard.
post #245 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you want to teach a kid not to hit other kids you don't do it by threatening to hit them. You are a bully and a wartard.

You're running around claiming I'm a war monger (you get there at some point in nearly every thread), and yet I'm the bully? Right.

Before going further, I do think I should clarify that the P-tard comment was really made in jest and was not designed to insult anyone here specifically (i.e. I was not calling MJ, Jazz or others that).

Now, with regard to the Paul position on foreign policy and why I've challenged MJ so hard about it: I've noticed a peculiar phenomenon with Paul supporters, particularly on foreign policy. Many of them, like MJ, are smart and capable people who want a return to the principles of our Constitution. But on this one issue, they embrace this sort of dogma. I call it that because when pressed hard, they cannot defend their position...it's just the belief of the Paul "organization." It gets to a point where they simply refuse to engage in discussion of the issue any further.

Now, MJ is an otherwise reasonable guy (from what I gather), so he simply says "we disagree" and moves on. But his polite manner doesn't conceal that he has not demonstrated why his somewhat radical ideas on foreign policy and military affairs would be effective and in the best interests of the US and our allies. In fact, history suggests that Paul's position amounts to nothing more than appeasement, which has clearly shown to be disastrous for us in the past.

So, that's why I'm asking: What historical evidence suggests "leaving Iran alone" and withdrawing thousands of troops from the region would be effective? What evidence suggests that opening relations with Iran will result in us getting closer to a peaceful state of affairs? Furthermore, what of my comments on Iran's leaders? Is anyone here NOT concerned about their radicalism (particularly the mullahs and Ayatollah).
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #246 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What historical evidence suggests "leaving Iran alone" and withdrawing thousands of troops from the region would be effective? What evidence suggests that opening relations with Iran will result in us getting closer to a peaceful state of affairs? Furthermore, what of my comments on Iran's leaders? Is anyone here NOT concerned about their radicalism (particularly the mullahs and Ayatollah).

Libya for one. In the 1980's everyone thought Ghadafi was going to start a nuclear war. Instead, we traded with them and they became a peaceful nation, until recently, when we felt threatened that they were going to move the monetization of their oil to the European system, so we devised a way to make Ghadafi the boogeyman again.

Pakistan for another. Is the Pakistani government threatening to use their nukes on the US? Wanna guess why? Because we're not threatening to blow them up.

Vietnam is another. After the war, we left them alone. We were so afraid that this militarized communist government was going to kill us all, but in the end... nothing. They are a peaceful nation that is becoming one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union did exactly what we are doing now. Threatened other countries that didn't support them and their ideas, overextended their military, made the world their enemy, lost trade, and suffered for it.

SDW, you live in an alternate reality dictated to you by the pro-military people, some of whom are paranoid, some of whom are xenophobes, some of whom are Christian warriors, some of whom are psychotic, but mostly those who are invested heavily in the military industrial complex who just want to make a buck, and you accept everything they say like a mindless sheep. Look at history with an objective eye.
post #247 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If you want to teach a kid not to hit other kids you don't do it by threatening to hit them. You are a bully and a wartard.

What do you do with the kid bring him to a psychologist to find out what is bothering them. I an from the old school a good whack won't hurt once in the while and the kid would have more respect in the long run when growing up.
post #248 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're not seeing history correctly. Iran is not 1930 Germany nor is it 1940 Japan. Not even close.

Why? Because you say so?

Quote:

Meanwhile the US is comparable to the USSR in 1980.

That is false. Disgustingly so.

Quote:
What does history really tell you about overextending the military and making global enemies?

Yep...there you go. We need to leave everyone alone. We're the problem. In fact, we're always the problem. If we intervene, we're the problem. If we don't, we're the problem. Blame America, the Imperial Power. Got it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #249 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Libya for one. In the 1980's everyone thought Ghadafi was going to start a nuclear war. Instead, we traded with them and they became a peaceful nation, until recently, when we felt threatened that they were going to move the monetization of their oil to the European system, so we devised a way to make Ghadafi the boogeyman again.

You're out of your goddamned mind. We attacked Libya in 1986 for their support of terrorism. Ghadafi didn't give up his WMD program until we pulled Saddam out of a hole.

Quote:

Pakistan for another. Is the Pakistani government threatening to use their nukes on the US? Wanna guess why? Because we're not threatening to blow them up.

Pakistan is not as hostile towards the United States. When 9/11 occurred, what do you think happened? We told them: Get out of our way, or you're next. That's what. Pakistan doesn't want to nuke the U.S. because they know we'll annihilate them. Their leaders are not anywhere near as radical as Iran's.

Quote:

Vietnam is another. After the war, we left them alone. We were so afraid that this militarized communist government was going to kill us all, but in the end... nothing. They are a peaceful nation that is becoming one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

Vietnam was never about a conventional threat from that nation. It was about our policy of stopping the spread of Communism. What started out as advisors, then crept all the way up to 500,000 troops. The mission wasn't defined. The military wasn't allowed to win. And of course they are not threatening us...that wasn't the point to begin with.

Quote:

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union did exactly what we are doing now. Threatened other countries that didn't support them and their ideas, overextended their military, made the world their enemy, lost trade, and suffered for it.[

SDW, you live in an alternate reality....


Given the understanding of history you've demonstrated above, I think it's clear you're the one in bizarro world. You clearly don't understand the collapse of the Soviets for example. It wasn't about overextending their military. It was about their economy and the fact it couldn't support an arms race with the U.S. It was about their population and those of their states wanting freedom. It was about the realization of these things that did it for their leadership. The U.S., with all it's flaws, isn't even comparable. We don't invade and conquer nations. We have a totally different governmental and economic system. We have different values. Claiming we are the same shows how delusional and anti-American you actually are.

Quote:

dictated to you by the pro-military people, some of whom are paranoid, some of whom are xenophobes, some of whom are Christian warriors, some of whom are psychotic, but mostly those who are invested heavily in the military industrial complex who just want to make a buck, and you accept everything they say like a mindless sheep. Look at history with an objective eye.

Right. Only enlightened liberals like you can see through the propaganda. Got it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #250 of 693
Melt in the sun, melt in the sun!
Who wants to come with me and melt in the sun?
Hide in the sky, hide in the sky!
Who wants to come with me and hide in the sky?

You and me should go outside and...
beat em' beat em' beat em' beat em'
All pathetic flag waving ignorant pigs and we'll
eat em' eat em' eat em' eat em'

Come join the cause, come join the cause!
Who wants to come with me and come join the cause!
Hide in the sky, hide in the sky!
Who wants to come with me and hide in the sky!

You and me should go outside and...
beat em' beat em' beat em' beat em'
All pathetic flag waving ignorant pigs and we'll
eat em' eat em' eat em' eat em'
You and me should go outside and...
beat em' beat em' beat em' beat em'
All pathetic flag waving ignorant pigs and we'll
eat em' eat em' eat em' eat em'

Realise you're blind
And we're out of time it'll show your mind

Melt in the sun, melt in the sun!
Who wants to come with me and melt in the sun?
Hide in the sky, hide in the sky!
Who wants to come with me and hide in the sky?

You and me should go outside and...
beat em' beat em' beat em' beat em'
All pathetic flag waving ignorant pigs and we'll
eat em' eat em' eat em' eat em'
You and me should go outside and
beat em' beat em' beat em' beat em'
All pathetic flag waving ignorant pigs and we'll
Eat em' Eat em' Eat em' Eat em'
Eat em' Eat em' Eat em' Eat em'

It'll show your mind that you have a mind

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #251 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Why? Because you say so?



That is false. Disgustingly so.



Yep...there you go. We need to leave everyone alone. We're the problem. In fact, we're always the problem. If we intervene, we're the problem. If we don't, we're the problem. Blame America, the Imperial Power. Got it.

I'm afraid tonton is correct. Comparing Iran to Japan or Germany in the 30's or 40's is laughable at best. Or showing your lack of understanding to the times then or now at worst.

However he is correct in comparing the US to the Soviet Union in the 80's. The Soviet Union didn't fall ( as so many hardcore conservatives would have you believe ) because we beat them. It fell because they tried to control too much and spent themselves into a hole with their military while ignoring things at home. A lesson we should pay attention to.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #252 of 693
As far as how Romney is doing here's a little something :

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc-tv/...msnhp#46351475

Quote:
Romney faces heckler in Maine
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #253 of 693
And there we have it folks...the first ever political candidate, let alone presidential candidate to be heckled.

Film at 11.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #254 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And there we have it folks...the first ever political candidate, let alone presidential candidate to be heckled.

Film at 11.


So you're a Romney supporter?

And he was being heckled in the state where Ron Paul is doing well to! I thought you'd be in favor of this one.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #255 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You know, on this issue I really must. Why? Because we're not simply disagreeing about an issue. It's not like I'm arguing for military action in Iran while you argue against. It not just that an argument like that which happens to get heated. No, it's that you are espousing a view of the world that has been proven throughout history to result in disaster if implemented as policy.

Anyone with any understanding of history--of how the world works--knows that your approach (the Paul approach) is dangerous. The examples are numerous. Neville Chamberlin decided to leave Germany alone and agree to positive relations. The result? The Blitz. We decided to leave Japan alone despite growing evidence of its hostility. The result ? Pearl Harbor and entry into WWII. History is replete with such examples of what happens when strong nations withdraw and allow tyrants to have their way. It is further replete with examples of making the mistake of thinking our adversaries always share our values, as if somehow if we treat them differently, they will forget their ways and learn to embrace us. Your approach will do nothing but embolden Iran and ultimately put Israel and the United States at greater risk.

Think about it: You are actually saying that we should simply "leave them alone" and hope for the best. I'm sorry, but no. We can disagree about what to do and how to do it. But when you fundamentally refuse to understand and acknowledge how the world works, I'm going to call you out on it. Not only that, but when I see a group of people blindly and naively embrace these views, I'm going to label them what they are: Paul Tards. You should hear yourselves. You're looking out the window, seeing a bright sunny day. You're then running around telling everyone it's raining. You label this mere disagreement. I label it insane fantasy.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only difference is you see 5 lights.

Well someone has been brainwashed by the Cardassians and is seeing too many lights and it's not tonton.

On a side note SDW I just purchased TNG The Next Level HD 3 episode sampler disc on Bluray. In case you haven't heard they did a great job remastering the series and you wouldn't believe how good it looks! I didn't know if you were aware of this but if you like TNG it's worth looking into. There's a trailer for it at the link.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/31/trai...ease-timeline/
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #256 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As far as how Romney is doing here's a little something :

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc-tv/...msnhp#46351475

Romney will never ever win the presidency! He is to plastic and is for the rich and no one else.
post #257 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'm afraid tonton is correct. Comparing Iran to Japan or Germany in the 30's or 40's is laughable at best. Or showing your lack of understanding to the times then or now at worst.

I didn't claim they were the same. I used them as an example of appeasement. Now, tell me why that analogy is invalid.

Quote:

However he is correct in comparing the US to the Soviet Union in the 80's.

Of course.

Quote:
The Soviet Union didn't fall ( as so many hardcore conservatives would have you believe ) because we beat them.

We did beat them. Unquestionably.

Quote:
It fell because they tried to control too much and spent themselves into a hole with their military while ignoring things at home. A lesson we should pay attention to.

Not really. They collapsed because their economy could not support their arms race with us, one that Reagan knew was necessary to convince them they could never outspend us. In addition, their people began to rise up against their totalitarian system and demanded change. To say that we control other nations the way the Soviets did (by invasion and intimidation) is frankly idiotic, not to mention anti-American.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #258 of 693
Thread Starter 
Back on topic: Romney wins Maine and CPAC poll.

While Maine is not a binding primary, that and his CPAC win are big for him. Santorum finished third, dealing a blow to him in the Northeast. Gingrich finished last. The biggest disappointment was for Paul, who needed a win and who put many of his resources here.

Next up are AZ and MI, where Romney is expected to win. Following that, it's Super Tuesday. If Romney takes AZ and MI and then has a solid showing on ST, it's going to become difficult for Gingrich and Santorum to remain.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #259 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So you're a Romney supporter?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you arrived at that question from my comment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

And he was being heckled in the state where Ron Paul is doing well to! I thought you'd be in favor of this one.

I don't really care. I was just heckling you for taking the time to point out something so common with all politicians, including presidents and presidential candidates.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #260 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Romney will never ever win the presidency! He is to plastic and is for the rich and no one else.

1. Define "plastic."

2. Demonstrate he is only for the rich. He talks constantly of the middle class. In fact, he opposes a zero capital gains rate, which Gingrich supports. The fact is that you base your comment on nothing other than the fact he has money.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #261 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

And there we have it folks...the first ever political candidate, let alone presidential candidate to be heckled.

Film at 11.


Good ol' MSNBC.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #262 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1. Define "plastic."

2. Demonstrate he is only for the rich. He talks constantly of the middle class. In fact, he opposes a zero capital gains rate, which Gingrich supports. The fact is that you base your comment on nothing other than the fact he has money.

He never did anything really good when he was governor of Mass.people were unemployed than and perhaps he did one thing right just thought about it he advocated a good health reform program which now he says he never really wanted. Bet ten thousand dollars to Perry about the immigration issue. Who the hell bets this when people perhaps make that in one year working.He cares less when he says I fire the ones who would not work out for me. What kind of soul does this man have? Plastic no emotion or feelings.A rigid or slightly elastic form which he is.
post #263 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

He never did anything really good when he was governor of Mass.

False. He governed conservatively. He didn't raise taxes. He raised the number of insured people. He balanced the budget. He vetoed many bills from democratic legislature. He created a "rainy day fund" for the state.

Quote:

people were unemployed than

You mean "then." People are always unemployed. Was unemployment worse under Romney?

Quote:
and perhaps he did one thing right just thought about it he advocated a good health reform program which now he says he never really wanted.

Liar, liar, pants on fire. He has never rejected his healthcare plan. He has said that he opposes a federal plan like Obamacare. He has also outlined the difference in his plan and Obamacare.

Quote:
Bet ten thousand dollars to Perry about the immigration issue. [Who the hell bets this when people perhaps make that in one year working.

It was a joke. It didn't play well, but it doesn't mean he's "out of touch."

Quote:


He cares less when he says I fire the ones who would not work out for me.

He was talking about the ability people have to fire their insurance companies. Jesus, at least TRY to understand context.

Quote:

What kind of soul does this man have?

I don't know. Do you?

Quote:
Plastic no emotion or feelings.

Right, so you dodged the question. What does "plastic" mean? And since he's a human being, I highly doubt he has "no emotion or feelings."

Quote:

A rigid or slightly elastic form which he is.

That's it...that's your criticism? He's a little stiff? Well, that certainly disqualifies him to be President, especially considering our current arrogant, aloof, angry President who is waging war on our own nation.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #264 of 693
If you can't run against the real Obama, construct a fake one and try to run against that!

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #265 of 693
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

If you can't run against the real Obama, construct a fake one and try to run against that!

Explain.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #266 of 693
"Obamacare will lead to the guillotine."

President Obama wouldn't have gotten bin Laden if Obama had his way.

"The president [is] waging war on [his] own nation.

He is not a socialist. He is not a Muslim. He is not looking to Europe for all the answers (remember, they all took austerity measures and who is clamoring for them here at home? Those European Republicans!). He's not waging a war against religion.

Absurd. All of it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #267 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I didn't claim they were the same. I used them as an example of appeasement. Now, tell me why that analogy is invalid.



Of course.



We did beat them. Unquestionably.



Not really. They collapsed because their economy could not support their arms race with us, one that Reagan knew was necessary to convince them they could never outspend us. In addition, their people began to rise up against their totalitarian system and demanded change. To say that we control other nations the way the Soviets did (by invasion and intimidation) is frankly idiotic, not to mention anti-American.

Quote:
We did beat them. Unquestionably.



Not really. They collapsed because their economy could not support their arms race with us, one that Reagan knew was necessary to convince them they could never outspend us. In addition, their people began to rise up against their totalitarian system and demanded change. To say that we control other nations the way the Soviets did (by invasion and intimidation) is frankly idiotic, not to mention anti-American.

[/QUOTE]

Only in your mind SDW.

And you didn't even comment on my link to the Remastered TNG. It's my way of respecting you as a fellow ST fan even though you do have an outragous take on things.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #268 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1. Define "plastic."

2. Demonstrate he is only for the rich. He talks constantly of the middle class. In fact, he opposes a zero capital gains rate, which Gingrich supports. The fact is that you base your comment on nothing other than the fact he has money.


Quote:
1. Define "plastic."

http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/searc...on&FORM=DTPDIA


Quote:
2. artificial: seeming artificial and unnatural
"a plastic smile"



Quote:
2. Demonstrate he is only for the rich. He talks constantly of the middle class. In fact, he opposes a zero capital gains rate, which Gingrich supports. The fact is that you base your comment on nothing other than the fact he has money.

[/QUOTE]


Quote:
Mitt Romney: 'I’m not concerned about the very poor'

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1mJoPRAxz

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72297.html
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #269 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post


He is not a socialist. He is not a Muslim. He is not looking to Europe for all the answers (remember, they all took austerity measures and who is clamoring for them here at home? Those European Republicans!). He's not waging a war against religion.

Absurd. All of it.

1. He is promoting policies that have socialist agendas, and many of his mentors and associates have embraced the tenets of socialism.

2. He's not a Muslim, but neither is he a Christian. He's a secular humanist who is afraid to admit it because of the political ramifications. And it's extremely cowardly.

3. Even you can't possibly believe that budgets which ADD to the current deficit and national debt are appropriate.

4. If a President is advocating policies that force religious people to violate their consciences (by elevating the distribution of birth control pills to status of a human right, of all things), he can credibly be accused of waging war against the religious in his country.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #270 of 693
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=BR;2044927]"Obamacare will lead to the guillotine."

Santorum is an dolt.


Oh my God! Sean Hannity said something inflammatory!


Pretty much, yes.

Quote:

He is not a socialist.

That's debatable.

Quote:
He is not a Muslim.

Not currently, but I'm pretty sure he used to be. Not that I care.

Quote:
He is not looking to Europe for all the answers (remember, they all took austerity measures and who is clamoring for them here at home? Those European Republicans!).

He's expanding social spending and going towards nationalization. He's adopted many of Europe's failed policies.

Quote:
He's not waging a war against religion.

Yup...he is, especially with the latest contraception mandate. The government is literally forcing churches and other religious organizations to pay for birth control, which may be against their beliefs. It's war.

Quote:

Absurd. All of it.

Yeah, he's a just a pragmatist.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #271 of 693

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #272 of 693
Or...how about...

"You have confused mandating provision of birth control as anything resembling a reasonable interpretation of a responsibility of the federal government and the President of the united States."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #273 of 693
Ah yes, Jon Stewart, patron saint of the loony left.

Forcing people to violate their consciences is tyranny, period.
You would think an atheist continually fighting against state-funded religion would at least understand that point.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #274 of 693
One can't but wonder whether Obama is trying to lose the election. This latest bullshit surely lost him some of the Catholic vote...and he probably needs everything he can get.

Of course...Team Obama is probably counting on this arithmetic:

- Poke the Catholics (among other religious conservatives) in the eye to pander to his base, then during the campaign...

- Use dog whistles to scare the shit out of Catholics (and other religious conservatives) about Romney's Mormonism.

It would be a classic strategy.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #275 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Ah yes, Jon Stewart, patron saint of the loony left.

Forcing people to violate their consciences is tyranny, period.
You would think an atheist continually fighting against state-funded religion would at least understand that point.

It violates my conscience to be forced to use money that has the phrase "In God We Trust" on it. Your move.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #276 of 693
It further violates my conscience to give any special privileges to idiots who worship iron-age deities, as it legitimizes non-evidence-based thinking, dooming the United States to fall far behind the rest of the industrialized world in cutting edge fields of science and technology.

Oh wait...was it just your conscience the one that matters?

Can we also even say that those making such a huge stink should first grow a conscience in the first place before bitching about having to violate one? Legitimizing the type of bullying that has led to an epidemic of teen suicide does not represent the acts of those with consciences.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #277 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Can we also even say that those making such a huge stink should first grow a conscience in the first place before bitching about having to violate one? Legitimizing the type of bullying that has led to an epidemic of teen suicide does not represent the acts of those with consciences.

Oh good...we get to see, first hand, the kind of leftist "moral superiority complex" as is being discussed in the other thread.

The anti-bullying thing has been explained to you, though you refused to recognize that the opponents saw through the government's attempt to co-opt their schools and curriculums.

The contraception mandate is yet another example.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #278 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It violates my conscience to be forced to use money that has the phrase "In God We Trust" on it. Your move.

So you do understand the issue.
Of course, you pretend that having an objectionable motto on a dollar bill is somehow equivalent to forcing Christians to participate in what they believe is murder.

But at least it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It further violates my conscience to give any special privileges to idiots who worship iron-age deities, as it legitimizes non-evidence-based thinking, dooming the United States to fall far behind the rest of the industrialized world in cutting edge fields of science and technology.

And I would never support a law that forced you to contribute to religious causes that you find so objectionable. Tax-deductible donations allow for religious people to support their causes and non-religious people to support their own. But forcing someone to financially support an organization or practice they detest is wrong. Agreed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Can we also even say that those making such a huge stink should first grow a conscience in the first place before bitching about having to violate one? Legitimizing the type of bullying that has led to an epidemic of teen suicide does not represent the acts of those with consciences.

The legislation you cited was amended to support free speech, and would be struck down in the courts without that provision. You felt free enough to call religious people 'idiots' in your reply above. Mocking and bullying are more tools in your arsenal than anyone else on the board.

Does free speech only work for people who happen to agree with you?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #279 of 693
By giving religion a special place in society, I am de facto forced to contribute to religious causes. Think of all of the property taxes that homeowners have to make up for because church land is tax free.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #280 of 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

By giving religion a special place in society, I am de facto forced to contribute to religious causes. Think of all of the property taxes that homeowners have to make up for because church land is tax free.

I agree. No more special cases. Let's eliminate property taxes for everyone.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Mitt Romney for President