or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is [Gary Johnson] the Sanest Man Running for President?

Is [Gary Johnson] the Sanest Man Running for President?

post #1 of 101
Article here.

I found this to be a good (albeit long) read with some great insight into who Gary Johnson is and what he's about. Well worth the time.

Fee free to share your thoughts.

All I can say is that any man who can summit Mount Everest with a broken leg (not to mention balance his state's budget all 8 years as a Republican governor with a Democrat dominated state congress) deserves some attention.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #2 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Article here.

I found this to be a good (albeit long) read with some great insight into who Gary Johnson is and what he's about. Well worth the time.

All I can say is that any man who can summit Mount Everest with a broken leg (not to mention balance his state's budget all 8 years as a Republican governor with a Democrat dominated state congress) deserves some attention.

According to the article, he's only worth $6 million (and that probably includes his house). In other words, considering that the US political system is set up to filter the moneyed elites into the top positions, Gary Johnson's net worth probably disqualifies him.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #3 of 101
Well sure, no mainstream media outlets are even acknowledging his existence at this point. But it's been a crazy election cycle thus far and a lot can happen in a year.

post #4 of 101
Quote:

Well sure, no mainstream media outlets are even acknowledging his existence at this point. But it's been a crazy election cycle thus far and a lot can happen in a year.

Extremely unlikely. And I don't agree that he's more "sane" just because he's socially liberal, fiscally conservative and a straight shooter.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #5 of 101
I shudder to think what your definition of sanity is.

post #6 of 101
Well, having read a fair bit about him, he would get my vote in the primaries, even over Ron Paul. Perhaps the reason the media is ignoring him is because he's one of these rare politicians who has a record of serving the people?
post #7 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Well, having read a fair bit about him, he would get my vote in the primaries, even over Ron Paul. Perhaps the reason the media is ignoring him is because he's one of these rare politicians who has a record of serving the people?

In all honesty, if I thought he had a better chance than Ron Paul I'd vote for Gary, too.

post #8 of 101
Gary Johnson to drop out of GOP primary to run as Libertarian

I’ll likely vote for Johnson if Paul doesn’t win the GOP nomination (and doesn’t run on a third party ticket).

post #9 of 101
Quote:

Gary Johnson to drop out of GOP primary to run as Libertarian

Ill likely vote for Johnson if Paul doesnt win the GOP nomination (and doesnt run on a third party ticket).

Of course you will.
post #10 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Of course you will.

And many more like me.

post #11 of 101
Quote:

And many more like me.

No, not "many" more. And if there are, all you'll do is re-elect Obama. Here we go again.
post #12 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

No, not "many" more. And if there are, all you'll do is re-elect Obama. Here we go again.

No, you'll reelect Obama.

See what I did there?

post #13 of 101
Yup, if SDW would vote with his "principles" and go with Gary Johnson instead of plugging his nose and picking Romney, the vote wouldn't be split.

John Huntsman, though, would actually be considered the sanest candidate in the Republican primary. He doesn't reject science and thinks you shouldn't either. Of course, that means he'll never get the nomination. Being an intellectual in tune with reality doesn't curry favor with the GOP sheep.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #14 of 101
Quote:

Article here.

Isn't he the dude that wants to legalize pot? A real great representation of a president he would make.Forget it!
post #15 of 101
Quote:

No, you'll reelect Obama.

See what I did there?

If I voted for Johnson, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yup, if SDW would vote with his "principles" and go with Gary Johnson instead of plugging his nose and picking Romney, the vote wouldn't be split.

John Huntsman, though, would actually be considered the sanest candidate in the Republican primary. He doesn't reject science and thinks you shouldn't either. Of course, that means he'll never get the nomination. Being an intellectual in tune with reality doesn't curry favor with the GOP sheep.

Based on your previous postings on this topic, I think you actually understand my meaning. Gary Johnson may be a great candidate. In fact, I agree with him on most issues. But he's got no shot (as in less than Ron Paul) at beating Obama. Jazz runs around acting like this is a free-for-all, as if we line up a ton of people on the stage (with Obama) and just pick the one that represents us best. But that is not the case, and I'm sure you know it. Someone has to not only be a good candidate, but be someone that can beat Obama.

Do I think Romney is perfect? Of course not. Would I like someone more conservative on fiscal issues and more liberal on social issues? Yes. But do I think he'd do a far superior job compared to Obama and do I think he can actually win? Absolutely. That's really all it's about for me...I truly do believe Obama has been an absolute nightmare as a President. Almost anyone who is not insane or utterly radical would be better. I put on that list many people with whom I disagree and even can't stand. For example, you all know my feelings on the Clintons. I'd take either one of them over Obama every day of the week and twice on Sunday. This President has got to go for the sake of saving this nation.
post #16 of 101

You owe it to yourselves to watch this video.

post #17 of 101

Johnson's about as sane as they come. He is more in touch with the ordinary people from which élitists Obama and Romney have become far removed.

post #18 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Isn't he the dude that wants to legalize pot? A real great representation of a president he would make.Forget it!

The prime beneficiaries from illegal pot are organized crime gangs, big pharma, the largely privatized prison industrial complex, and corrupt elements within law enforcement. Do you have a vested interest in maintaining its illegality?

post #19 of 101

Yes, Gary Johnson is the sanest conservative running for president.  Please, Republicans, don't vote for that fake say-anything-to-anyone entitled pathological liar Mitt Romney.  Come election day, Republicans, vote Gary Johnson.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #20 of 101

Why? Because he is an advocate to favor pot. Is this one of your reasons.

post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yes, Gary Johnson is the sanest conservative running for president.  Please, Republicans, don't vote for that fake say-anything-to-anyone entitled pathological liar Mitt Romney.  Come election day, Republicans, vote Gary Johnson.

This is a point that jazz won't acknowledge.  A person who has zero chance of voting for Obama (and votes for Johnson) is essentially casting a vote for Obama.  

post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is a point that jazz won't acknowledge.  A person who has zero chance of voting for Obama (and votes for Johnson) is essentially casting a vote for Obama.  

post #23 of 101

Oh, and:

post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Oh, and:

Cute image.  Also, completely inaccurate. 

post #25 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Fixed that for you, Jazzy.  But, by all means, convince all your Romney-supporting friends to vote for Obama by voting for Gary Johnson.  Please.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #26 of 101
Quote:

Fixed that for you, Jazzy.  But, by all means, convince all your Romney-supporting friends to vote for Obama by voting for Gary Johnson.  Please.  

It's somewhat telling that you feel the need to make this plea.

lol.gif

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #27 of 101

I think it is very, very likely that Obama gets reelected.  However, with all the voter suppression shenanigans and potential voting machine election fraud, I'd prefer some added insurance against those two selfish, jingoistic twats gaining power.

Nice try, though.  Still a huge inference failure.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #28 of 101
Quote:

I think it is very, very likely that Obama gets reelected.

You're probably right. Though if you're wrong I wouldn't expect much change. There wasn't much change after Obama became president.

Quote:

I'd prefer some added insurance against those two selfish, jingoistic twats gaining power.

As opposed to the two arrogant, moronic, smug twats who currently are in power?

Quote:

Of course.

post #29 of 101

Right, I forgot that in the mind of a conservative evolution-denier, smug means going to college and accepting reality.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #30 of 101
Quote:

Right, I forgot that in the mind of a conservative evolution-denier, smug means going to college and accepting reality.

First, I'm not really a political conservative. I'm a classical liberal, anarchy-capitalist or, if you prefer, a libertarian.

Second, that's not what smug means to me. But then I know what words mean and don't redefine them to suit my needs or to disparage those I don't agree with.

post #31 of 101

Well, I don't see Obama having excessive pride in his achievements.  In fact, I wish he would actually tout his record more.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #32 of 101
Quote:

Well, I don't see Obama having excessive pride in his achievements.

Of course you don't.

Quote:

In fact, I wish he would actually tout his record more.

Of course you do.

post #33 of 101

What record being a phony and not really advocating what he meant to do in his last almost 4 years as president.

post #34 of 101
Quote:

I understand you think voting for Gary Johnson will cause Obama to win.

Perhaps you don't understand that it really makes no difference to us which of the two establishment puppets wins, and that in many respects a second Obama term with a Republican majority in Congress might be preferable to a Romney presidency.

Perhaps you also don't under stand that many people who would have otherwise voted for Obama will be voting for Gary Johnson, too.

So go ahead and encourage votes for Gary Johnson. Please.

post #35 of 101
Quote:

Well, I don't see Obama having excessive pride in his achievements.  In fact, I wish he would actually tout his record more.

Yes, his record of continuing and expanding virtually all of Bush's failed policies is something to be proud of.

post #36 of 101
Quote:

Cute image.  Also, completely inaccurate. 

Cute response. Also, completely lame.

post #37 of 101

BR, by voting for Obama, you are supporting this:

post #38 of 101

You're in good company, BR:

post #39 of 101
Quote:

I think it is very, very likely that Obama gets reelected.  However, with all the voter suppression shenanigans and potential voting machine election fraud, I'd prefer some added insurance against those two selfish, jingoistic twats gaining power.

Oh come the **** on.  "Selfish, jingoistic twats?"  I find it hard to believe you honestly think that.  I also find it hard to believe you actually think Obama deserves reelection.   

post #40 of 101
Quote:

Oh come the **** on.  "Selfish, jingoistic twats?"  I find it hard to believe you honestly think that.  I also find it hard to believe you actually think Obama deserves reelection.   

Absolutely.  Ryan is a Randian sociopath.  Romney is doesn't give two shits about 47% of America.  He thinks his 9% tax rate (you know, the one he'll get when he amends this year's taxes after the election) is too high.  

President Obama has accomplished A LOT with Republicans attempting to undermine him the entire time, even when he wanted implement policies that Republicans were once in favor of (until the black guy with the funny name wanted those same things).

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is [Gary Johnson] the Sanest Man Running for President?