or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Led by Apple's iPhone 4S, AT&T expects record quarter for smartphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Led by Apple's iPhone 4S, AT&T expects record quarter for smartphones

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
AT&T announced on Wednesday that it is on track to have its best quarter ever for smartphone sales, led by continued "strong" performance of the iPhone 4S.

Apple's latest iPhone was the only smartphone specifically cited in the press release issued by AT&T, which noted that its network is the only where iPhone 4S users "download three times faster and talk and surf at the same time." The carrier announced in October that it activated more than 1 million of the iPhone 4S in its first five days of availability, but declined to reveal specific sales figures on Wednesday.

In all, AT&T sold about 6 million smartphones in the first two months of its fourth quarter, including the 1 million iPhone 4S units sold in just a five-day span. December is usually one of AT&T's strongest months for smartphone sales, which puts the carrier on track to easily best its previous sales record of 6.1 million smartphones in one quarter.

AT&T's smartphone success was first revealed by the company's senior vice president and chief financial officer, John Stephens, in a speech at the UBS 39th Annual Global media and Communications Conference in New York.

Though AT&T declined to reveal full sales of the iPhone 4S thus far, it's likely the lion's share of the company's smartphone sales thus far this quarter were represented by Apple. Even before the launch of the iPhone 4S, Apple's iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS were the top-selling handsets at AT&T throughout all of 2011.

Last quarter, the iPhone represented 56 percent of AT&T's smartphone activations with 2.7 million units. AT&T's iPhone numbers bested rival Verizon by 700,000.



Stephens also announced on Wednesday that AT&T remains on track to have its high-speed 4G long-term evolution network available to 70 million people by the end of 2011. The company plans to expand its LTE coverage to New York City this month.

Reports have suggested that Apple plans to launch an LTE-capable iPhone in 2012. Apple executives said earlier this year that they looked into LTE technology, but they felt poor battery life and other current issues with 4G were reason enough to hold off.
post #2 of 31
what a disappointment the 4S is.

/s
post #3 of 31
wasn't everyone supposed to leave AT&T by now and go to verizon?
post #4 of 31
I should hope they expect a record quarter for smartphones in a world where the first real smartphone was released in 2007 and they are getting cheaper, more powerful, more useful and more functional the whole time. The bigger news story would be AT&T expect smartphone sales to be down this quarter.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

wasn't everyone supposed to leave AT&T by now and go to verizon?

"When Verizon gets the iPhone you'l see an exodus to Verizon. Just you wait."

(Verizon get the iPhone 4. No exodus)

"That's because it's using last year's components. When Verizon gets the next iPhone alongside AT&T you'll see an exodus to Verizon. Just you wait."

(Verizon and AT&T (and Sprint) get iPhone 4S. No exodus)

That's because many are still on contract. When those contracts are up the will all move from AT&T to Verizon. Just your wait."


You ever notice how Verizon and Android fanboys are aways telling you it'll be soon and to just wait? What bout having a good experience today not some assumed timeframe in the distant future.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

what a disappointment the 4S is.

/s

Sarcasm aside, you can understand people wanting a physically new iPhone because the same shape for nearly 2.5 years (which it will be) can get boring. It's selling well because it improved upon the iPhone 4 in many ways, most other phones are shit, Android is ugly and sluggish, and Windows phone is just a baby.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sarcasm aside, you can understand people wanting a physically new iPhone because the same shape for nearly 2.5 years (which it will be) can get boring.

I understand people saying that, but not rational people. It's phone, just another device like your notebook or TV I don't expect those shapes to change every year.

Often I forget if I was using my iPhone or iPad when using a webpage because I get immersed in what the display is showing, not with the design casing the display is in.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 31
I wonder how many of these are existing iPhone customers that are upgrading and how many are new iPhone subs?
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

I wonder how many of these are existing iPhone customers that are upgrading and how many are new iPhone subs?

My 4S purchase was coming back from the iPhone on Verizon hated Verizon.Plus got my unlimited data back so I guess im staying put now lol
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"When Verizon gets the iPhone you'l see an exodus to Verizon. Just you wait."

(Verizon get the iPhone 4. No exodus)

"That's because it's using last year's components. When Verizon gets the next iPhone alongside AT&T you'll see an exodus to Verizon. Just you wait."

(Verizon and AT&T (and Sprint) get iPhone 4S. No exodus)

That's because many are still on contract. When those contracts are up the will all move from AT&T to Verizon. Just your wait."


You ever notice how Verizon and Android fanboys are aways telling you it'll be soon and to just wait? What bout having a good experience today not some assumed timeframe in the distant future.

I just never understood why that even mattered to people. I'm sure some people switched but I never thought it'd be a mass exodus. Tech blog journalists do not speak for the masses.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I just never understood why that even mattered to people. I'm sure some people switched but I never thought it'd be a mass exodus. Tech blog journalists do not speak for the masses.

It should't matter. If a carrier sucks in your area you don't use them. Maybe you have a Verizon phone and an iPod Touch to get the iOS experience, but you just aren't going to get millions of people paying terminations fees to AT&T just to jump ship to another carrier. THe numbers just don't add up.


PS: WIth the AT&T/T-Mobile US deal falling through, Verizon has made an agreement for some AWS spectrum from another carrier. Verizon is doing a great job in setting themselves up to be the best LTE network (by coverage) in the future.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

what a disappointment the 4S is.

/s

Don't equate disappointment with failure, yes it was called a disappointment but no one said it wouldn't sell.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 31
If these figures are right, that means all the people who were disappointed by the iPhone 4S, and Apple haters in general would have to be in the minority and just plain wrong...
post #14 of 31
[/QUOTE]: WIth the AT&T/T-Mobile US deal falling through, Verizon has made an agreement for some AWS spectrum from another carrier. Verizon is doing a great job in setting themselves up to be the best LTE network (by coverage) in the future.[/QUOTE]

What carrier is verizon buying AWS spectrum from as far as I knew T-Mobile owned most of that spectrum.Or was it bought from Qualcomm(Their failed Mobile TV div.)
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It should't matter. If a carrier sucks in your area you don't use them. Maybe you have a Verizon phone and an iPod Touch to get the iOS experience, but you just aren't going to get millions of people paying terminations fees to AT&T just to jump ship to another carrier. THe numbers just don't add up.


PS: WIth the AT&T/T-Mobile US deal falling through, Verizon has made an agreement for some AWS spectrum from another carrier. Verizon is doing a great job in setting themselves up to be the best LTE network (by coverage) in the future.

The ETF plus their new capped data effectively killed any potential defectors.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg11s View Post

If these figures are right, that means all the people who were disappointed by the iPhone 4S, and Apple haters in general would have to be in the minority and just plain wrong...

ATT didn't quote any iPhone sales numbers. In fact they declined to comment. I'm sure they're pretty good in any case. Not yet mentioned from the ATT article:

"Sales of smartphones, which are typically subsidized by carriers to gain future service revenue, are expected to have a near-term negative impact on margins and earnings, Dallas-based AT&T said in a regulatory filing. Still, the upfront costs are worth the benefits in the future, Stephens said. "
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post

My 4S purchase was coming back from the iPhone on Verizon hated Verizon.Plus got my unlimited data back so I guess im staying put now lol

How did you get your unlimited data back?
post #18 of 31
: WIth the AT&T/T-Mobile US deal falling through, Verizon has made an agreement for some AWS spectrum from another carrier. Verizon is doing a great job in setting themselves up to be the best LTE network (by coverage) in the future.[/QUOTE]

What carrier is verizon buying AWS spectrum from as far as I knew T-Mobile owned most of that spectrum.Or was it bought from Qualcomm(Their failed Mobile TV div.)[/QUOTE]

From unlikely places, cable companies. http://www.bna.com/verizon-wireless-...-n12884904947/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post

What carrier is verizon buying AWS spectrum from as far as I knew T-Mobile owned most of that spectrum.Or was it bought from Qualcomm(Their failed Mobile TV div.)

Cricket Wireless.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Cricket Wireless.

That too
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

How did you get your unlimited data back?

Pretty funny story I use twitter and decided to ask AT&T customer care via twitter about coming back they then accidentally tweeted my cell phone number,they promised to give back my data but then reneged on that deal.A quick email to the AT&T CEO got my unlimited back.
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post

Pretty funny story I use twitter and decided to ask AT&T customer care via twitter about coming back they then accidentally tweeted my cell phone number,they promised to give back my data but then reneged on that deal.A quick email to the AT&T CEO got my unlimited back.

There should be a grace period from when you leave to be able to come back to the plan you had. I'm sure there are countless others that want to go back to ATT (especially the ones that left for Sprint)
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There should be a grace period from when you leave to be able to come back to the plan you had. I'm sure there are countless others that want to go back to ATT (especially the ones that left for Sprint)

Oh there is actually but I happened to switch the day the Verizon phone came out its 90 days after that they "cant"restore your account but alas here Iam with unlimited data,Verizon was great but the price and slow data killed me.The fast 3G and 26% FAN will keep me at AT&T albeit,I will only buy my iphone unlocked
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

what a disappointment the 4S is.

/s

People must realize that in order to FORCE Apple to release a brand new exciting, overwhelming class leading phone they need to stop buying the utterly disappointing, underwhelming, epic fail ip4s with its gimmicky Siri. Clearly people are just bored and need something to buy and have been incidentally passing by the Apple store in droves. When customer satisfaction reports come out their disdain will become apparent.....

EDIT:
Apparently people will not understand that the above is sarcastic People are not bored, don't incidentally walk past Apple stores in droves, and the customer satisfaction reports as reported on yesterday show that people are overwhelmingly satisfied with the ip4s. Very few users express disdain related to the iPhone 4s. But to all you iPhone4s nay sayers - na-na-na-nah-nah!

If you now mistakenly respond to the first part of this post missing the irony - you are officially an idjeet.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

People must realize that in order to FORCE Apple to release a brand new exciting, overwhelming class leading phone they need to stop buying the utterly disappointing, underwhelming, epic fail ip4s with its gimmicky Siri. Clearly people are just bored and need something to buy and have been incidentally passing by the Apple store in droves. When customer satisfaction reports come out their disdain will become apparent.....

I think the sarcasm will be missed by many. Even after noting it here it will still be missed.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sarcasm aside, you can understand people wanting a physically new iPhone because the same shape for nearly 2.5 years (which it will be) can get boring. It's selling well because it improved upon the iPhone 4 in many ways, most other phones are shit, Android is ugly and sluggish, and Windows phone is just a baby.

I don't think the 4S will continue to sell as well after this quarter for that exact reason. The first calendar quarter will see a drop off from the holiday quarter and I believe the 2nd 2012 calendar quarter will be downright dismal, especially if rumours start up about a new improved physically different phone. I just can't see Apple waiting until October 2012 to introduce a new phone. In my opinion if they did that the decline in sales would be precipitous in the 3rd calendar quarter.

All of this won't matter, though, because when the v6 iPhone hits the streets it will suck the air from the room for at least 15 months. The Android system will actually see a noticeable decline in market share by this time next year (if the v6 iPhone comes out in June 2012).
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think the sarcasm will be missed by many. Even after noting it here it will still be missed.

Yea your other yous will not get, nor what I just said.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

......some assumed timeframe in the distant future.


To paraphrase Keynes, in the distant future, we're all dead.
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

wasn't everyone supposed to leave AT&T by now and go to verizon?

The worst smartphone on the market, on the worst mobile carrier, what must the Apple and AT&T haters be thinking about now?
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

All of this won't matter, though, because when the v6 iPhone hits the streets it will suck the air from the room for at least 15 months. The Android system will actually see a noticeable decline in market share by this time next year (if the v6 iPhone comes out in June 2012).

I think everyone gets tired of hearing this one.

"Just wait until the iPhone gets to verizon it will crush Android."

"Just wait until the new iPhone "v5" comes out it will halt Android"

"Once the iPhone gets to Sprint it will destroy Android"

Android is here and it is here to stay. It is a damn good mobile OS and their is no denying that as millions of people are buying android phones each month.

I work for one of the major telecoms and I am noticing a lot of switches in platforms this last month. The interesting thing is it is not what I expected to be. These customers are leaving iPhones behind and are purchasing large screen android based Smart phones (Most consumers and sells people see size not DPI).

The Odds of Apple managing in the near future a phone that will completely drop interest in android is around the Same possibilities of us seeing an iPhone"Killer" phone from any of the other OEMs. Truth said it will never happen people now prefer their HTCs over any other phone. HTC is really getting a loyal consumer following. We are seeing people waiting in lines for some of the Motorola phones (Droid Razr). So these OEMs are getting better and Android is constantly improving itself in features and finally usability with 4.0

I am not trying to be a troll or a fanboy I am looking at the evidences and just making sense of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The worst smartphone on the market, on the worst mobile carrier, what must the Apple and AT&T haters be thinking about now?

This really was the worst smart phone ever
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I think everyone gets tired of hearing this one.

"Just wait until the iPhone gets to verizon it will crush Android."

"Just wait until the new iPhone "v5" comes out it will halt Android"

"Once the iPhone gets to Sprint it will destroy Android"

<snip> bullshit bullshit bullshit </snip>

I am not trying to be a troll or a fanboy I am looking at the evidences and just making sense of it.

If you really are trying to make sense of it then why don't you actually read what people are saying rather than making up a bunch of crap to suit your argument.

Did I say crush anywhere in my comment?

I said that there will be a noticeable decline in Android's market share. Nowhere did I say that iOS will overtake Android... and neither would I.

You do know about saturation in a market and what happens at that point, right?
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Led by Apple's iPhone 4S, AT&T expects record quarter for smartphones