or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bible Translations: Challenges In Deifying Jesus (or Vice Versa)

Bible Translations: Challenges In Deifying Jesus (or Vice Versa)

post #1 of 2
Came across this:

King James Version
Jud 1:4\t \t
For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

New International Version
Jude 1:4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about[b] long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

I started reading the Bible recently, for various reasons. I would consider myself New Age or "Gnostic", if classifications help.

I remain of certain belief in the Trinity, in which Christ is actually a concept, not a person, Jesus being the personification of the concept. Christ is the "path of humankind to attain/ reunite with God etc"

I've been noticing throughout the Bible there are various ways in which Jesus and God are used sometimes separately, and sometimes interchangeably.

In Revelations, for example, it is not always clear that Jesus is the one that is being talked about in some of the imagery (person in white, etc.) though some argue that it is.

But found this gem today. The NI version which I think is quite popular (correct me if I am wrong) in this case seems to blatantly wipe out the separation of Jesus and God from the King James Version.

In fact, most recent translations seem to do this:
http://bible.cc/jude/1-4.htm

Thoughts? I am slightly inclined to think that recent translations of the Bible in the past one hundred(?) years may have been focused on specifically deifying Jesus as = God for various reasons. In my brief but continuing reading of the Bible from time to time, I note it is not so clear.
post #2 of 2
However, the Wycliffe version is one of the earliest English translations (before King James) and reads as such for the above:

http://www.biblekeeper.com/Wycliffe-nt/jude_1.php
JUD 1:4 For summe vnfeithful men priueli entriden, that sum tyme weren bifore writun in to this dom, and ouerturnen the grace of oure God in to letcherie, and denyen hym that is oneli a Lord, oure Lord Jhesu Crist.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bible Translations: Challenges In Deifying Jesus (or Vice Versa)