or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Predictions and wishlist for iPad 3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Predictions and wishlist for iPad 3

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
As the rumors are starting to pop up, I really don't know the possible additions to the iPad3 would be. Anyone care to guess or give their wish list? I honestly hate the rounded back, makes the iPad 2 ridiculously cheap looking. The back camera definitely HAS to improve, I've used it once to take a video, and it was horrible. I've also heard people talk about Siri in the iPad3, and retina display. anything else? I honestly wish Apple made a more advanced OS for iPad, while staying smooth and responsive. iOS on iPad just isn't right for something that is made by apple.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
iOS on iPad just isn't right for something that is made by apple.

Uh

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #3 of 13
I would guess it'll get the same camera's as are in the 4S. While the size makes it a bit awkward for taking video/photos, I would imagine it'll still rate the better cameras. (Economies of scale and all that.)
I wouldn't imagine the shape will change much.
I see no reason to NOT include Siri... In fact, I'd expect it to be available on the iPad2 via software revision before much longer.
iOS is perfect for the iPad... OSX would suck by comparison (imo) ... though finding a way to do a "Finder" system would be nice... With something like a "Preview" app for viewing generic pdf's and jpg's and such (from the "Finder".)
Obviously, a better CPU (A6?) is all but guaranteed.
I also think a higher res screen (but same size) is VERY likely.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh…

well, ios is amazing on my iphone, dont get me wrong. but before ipad came out, it really wasn't what i expected. there's no actual workspace or true multitask.
people might like what the ipad has now, but i really think apple could've done something better... it's really all personal preference. the ios really seems more like a mobile phone OS, not a tablet os. tbh, i'd prefer it be more like osx, but again thats personal opinion. seems like i'm the only one though...

other than the os, anything else? I'd really prefer the speaker design to be changed. its damn ugly with the curved edge
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

there's no actual workspace

Except there is.

Quote:
or true multitask.

Blatant trolling.

Quote:
tbh, i'd prefer it be more like osx, but again thats personal opinion. seems like i'm the only one though...

Because you'd hate it if they did that.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

well, ios is amazing on my iphone, dont get me wrong. but before ipad came out, it really wasn't what i expected. there's no actual workspace or true multitask.
people might like what the ipad has now, but i really think apple could've done something better... it's really all personal preference. the ios really seems more like a mobile phone OS, not a tablet os. tbh, i'd prefer it be more like osx, but again thats personal opinion. seems like i'm the only one though...

other than the os, anything else? I'd really prefer the speaker design to be changed. its damn ugly with the curved edge

This wouldn't work as well as you'd like to think. You'd just end up with more segmentation and fewer things available for both iphone and ipad. Having IOS on both is great for small developers with limited resources, which is what you should want as they're often the most creative.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except there is.



Blatant trolling.



Because you'd hate it if they did that.

i wasn't trolling! for me, multitasking means having one window on half a screen and another program on the other half. being bale to refer to a pdf while typing or browsing. doubling clicking home and switching isn't really multitasking in my opinion.
but, i do believe that iOS makes the whole OS a lot more creative though. I love being able to use VNC clients to access my mac, as well as using air display as an extra touchscreen monitor. and these are fantastic ideas!
but the iPad having a big enough screen, should at least be able for us to put two programs side by side!

mission control on an iPad would be great
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

doubling clicking home and switching isn't really multitasking in my opinion.

I haven't done that for years. Four finger swipe between apps. Try it. It's the way multitasking is supposed to be done. So beautiful.

I never ever touch my Home Button. Ever. You don't need to anymore. Five finger pinch to go to the Springboard, four finger swipe up to get to the multitasker, four finger swipe between open applications.

None of this 'half-screen' silliness. You can't work in more than one at once, anyway.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I haven't done that for years. Four finger swipe between apps. Try it. It's the way multitasking is supposed to be done. So beautiful.

I never ever touch my Home Button. Ever. You don't need to anymore. Five finger pinch to go to the Springboard, four finger swipe up to get to the multitasker, four finger swipe between open applications.

None of this 'half-screen' silliness. You can't work in more than one at once, anyway.

wow, im stupid. didn't know iPad had those functions.
post #10 of 13
I'm kinda puzzled by some of your complaints,but I see later in the thread you are unaware of some of iOS 5's functionality. Even then there are things each and everyone of us would like to see in an iPad. Even then iPad really doesn't have any competition so it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

well, ios is amazing on my iphone, dont get me wrong. but before ipad came out, it really wasn't what i expected.

Well yeah everybody had their own expectations as rumors and news built up around iPad. The thing is you can't expect any thing developed by a third party to fit your needs perfectly. Further ones imagination allows for unlimited functionality where as real products have constraints.
Quote:
there's no actual workspace or true multitask.

IOS has multitasked since day one. It runs the same UNIX lke kernel that is at the center of Mac OS. It doesn't allow multiple user apps running at the same time simply to save on battery and RAM.
Quote:
people might like what the ipad has now, but i really think apple could've done something better...

Apple is doing better. Everytime a major iOS update comes out it is improved both internally and externally.
Quote:
it's really all personal preference. the ios really seems more like a mobile phone OS, not a tablet os. tbh, i'd prefer it be more like osx, but again thats personal opinion. seems like i'm the only one though...

I'm not sure if you are trolling or just suffering from personal ignorance. IOS basically puts the meat of UNIX in a handheld device. Sure the UI is different but that is the whole point of iOS, that is to provide a touch interface for small tablets.
Quote:
other than the os, anything else? I'd really prefer the speaker design to be changed. its damn ugly with the curved edge

Being old with sub optimal hearing I'd like to see significant effort put into iPads speakers, so in this regard we are on the same page.

In any event I'm not sure what you are wishing for in the next iPad, most of what you posted are operating system related issues. IPad 3 is a hardware release. Me I'm hoping for an SD slot and a USB port. We aren't likely to get those though. On the other hand I could see Apple adding a Thunderbolt port. Beyond those I don't see major external changes, instead we will likely get a major internal overhaul.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not sure if you are trolling or just suffering from personal ignorance. IOS basically puts the meat of UNIX in a handheld device. Sure the UI is different but that is the whole point of iOS, that is to provide a touch interface for small tablets.

I don't think he's trolling at all. The tablet area really wasn't really talked about as much until the ipad. He was simply expecting it to be closer to a desktop OS, but as I said the current design is better for encouraging small developers to release on both iphone and ipad.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I don't think he's trolling at all. The tablet area really wasn't really talked about as much until the ipad. He was simply expecting it to be closer to a desktop OS, but as I said the current design is better for encouraging small developers to release on both iphone and ipad.

... and a CPU capable of "true" multitasking (say an unlimited number of activities going on in non-active apps) and running an OS more like the desktop OSX would not have the all-day battery performance that is (arguably) critical to the iPads overwhelming success.
The current ARM variants just aren't capable of doing that much stuff yet (at low pawer consumption rates)... and Intel "i" type chips just use way too much power (for a tablet.)

So what we have currently... while not exactly what we DESIRE, is pretty much all the CURRENT technology can do. (and still maintain Apple's level of polish and usability.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

... and a CPU capable of "true" multitasking (say an unlimited number of activities going on in non-active apps) and running an OS more like the desktop OSX would not have the all-day battery performance that is (arguably) critical to the iPads overwhelming success.
The current ARM variants just aren't capable of doing that much stuff yet (at low pawer consumption rates)... and Intel "i" type chips just use way too much power (for a tablet.)

So what we have currently... while not exactly what we DESIRE, is pretty much all the CURRENT technology can do. (and still maintain Apple's level of polish and usability.)

You and I are pretty much in agreement here. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something similar to the macbook air eventually adopt tablet like elements. One of the prime advantages of a tablet is that you really don't have to set it down. I can think of a few ways they could adopt these kinds of principles in an air like design, but it's the kind of thing where the hardware isn't completely there yet. For example (I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, it's an oversimplified example) if laptops moved to a virtual keyboard where physical one currently resides, and they came up with a kind of fold back concept which would unfortunately require a weird hinge design, it could be opened to operate like a tablet at times. I think Marvin commented on the potential of something like OLED and dual sided display.

I'd be skeptical of the concept of ipad like forms fully displacing traditional laptops as it's hard to sit there and type on one for an extended period of time assuming you want to maintain the speed of a traditional keyboard. A virtual keyboard when set on a desk would help, but that brings us back to the pencil and paper thing of always looking down. I'm not a fan of it, but that doesn't mean much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Predictions and wishlist for iPad 3