or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: OEM production of two-year-old iPhone 3GS to reach 2M in Dec. quarter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: OEM production of two-year-old iPhone 3GS to reach 2M in Dec. quarter

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
Asian supply chain sources claim OEM production of the iPhone 3GS remains steady with expected volume of two million units in the current quarter and 1.4-1.6 million units in the first quarter of calendar 2012.

Taiwan-based DigiTimes cited industry sources on Friday as providing the numbers. The report also noted that production of the CDMA iPhone 4 is expected to come in at between 800,000 to one million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 and 500,000-600,000 units next quarter.

The iPhone 3GS became in October the first of Apple's handsets to be offered free with contract in the U.S., though wireless carrier partner AT&T quietly raised the price to $0.99 a month later.

Apple executives have indicated that they view the free model iPhone 3GS as a "good dynamic" for the iPhone family because it introduces the company's products "to a wider audience of customers."

Even after two years on the market, the iPhone 3GS remained the second-best-selling smartphone in the U.S. last quarter behind only its successor, the iPhone 4, according to data from the NPD Group. Retail checks have also suggested continued strong demand for the iPhone 3GS.



The rumored two million iPhone 3GS units will play a small part in helping Apple reach its projection of an all-time sales record for iPhone units this quarter. The company's results for the September quarter disappointed some analysts largely because the number of iPhone buyers holding out for the iPhone 4S proved bigger than expected.

The Cupertino, Calif., company believes pent up demand for the iPhone 4S, coupled with continued sales of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, will drive record revenues of $37 billion in the December quarter. Multiple analysts expect Apple to sell between 28 to 30 million iPhone units during the period, though one analysis based on U.S. carrier estimates suggests the company could ship as many as 42 million handsets.
post #2 of 58
I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

On the other hand the iPhone 3GS was 59 dollars before the 4s came out so maybe the iPhone 4 will be 59 dollars when the iPhone 5 comes out. We will have to wait and see.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

On the other hand the iPhone 3GS was 59 dollars before the 4s came out so maybe the iPhone 4 will be 59 dollars when the iPhone 5 comes out. We will have to wait and see.

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asian supply chain sources claim OEM production of the iPhone 3GS remains steady with expected volume of two million units in the current quarter and 1.4-1.6 million units in the first quarter of calendar 2012.


My guess is that the FreeGS will be one of the best selling phones of all time.
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

Because there will always be those who don't want to or can't spend the extra dollars for the better phone.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

Because the glass is 90% full, not 10% empty.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Because there will always be those who don't want to or can't spend the extra dollars for the better phone.

If you cant afford the current or at least the one before the current then you wont be able get much content for your iphone cause most apps in the apple apps store cost money.

You are better off with android if you cant or dont want to speed money on apps
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

By then Siri will be on every iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which should well outnumber the the iPhone 4 on the market. Siri may also be out of beta. All or which could mean that Apple could open up Siri to all iOS-based devices running iOS 6.0. Since they get to mine data as well as subvert page hits (read: ads) from going to their competitors) there is a good reason for them to offer this functionality once the back end is sufficiently up to date and vetted.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

On the other hand the iPhone 3GS was 59 dollars before the 4s came out so maybe the iPhone 4 will be 59 dollars when the iPhone 5 comes out. We will have to wait and see.


I would guess it makes more sense for them to upgrade the 3GS to have iPhone like hardware, keeping the different form factors to differentiate the entry level iPhone (IE-- 3GS) from the newer iPhones (who have siri)

i think the iPhone 4 is going to either going to change form factor, or be discontinued (once the next gen model comes out)

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #10 of 58
[QUOTE=SolipsismX;2004198]The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?


I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?

I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post


With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

Really?

You should know that people are buying the iPhone 4 and 3GS as we speak... and they can't do SIRI.
post #13 of 58
With the iPod they made different models for the different market segments (cheap->expensive). With the iPhone they just use older models for the lower end segment. Both ways work.
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!

There is no history of that. Apple Called the 2nd gen the iPhone 3G, and the 3rd gen the iPhone 3GS for speed. The 4tf gen was called iPhone 4 because it was the 4th generation not because of some silly rule you made up they requires Apple to use the same cardinal number twice in a row.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is no history of that. Apple Called the 2nd gen the iPhone 3G, and the 3rd gen the iPhone 3GS for speed. The 4tf gen was called iPhone 4 because it was the 4th generation not because of some silly rule you made up they requires Apple to use the same cardinal number twice in a row.

Your really funny. I mean that you have a funny sense of humor. It must be your ego. LOL.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because the glass is 90% full, not 10% empty.

but with each next iteration that glass gets emptier and emptier. I still stand by my point. If you can afford to get the current or at best the one before it, you are better off with an android phone
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Your really funny. I mean that you have a funny sense of humor. It must be your ego. LOL.

Cereal though..it's gonna be called the iPhone 6...
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?



By then Siri will be on every iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which should well outnumber the the iPhone 4 on the market. Siri may also be out of beta. All or which could mean that Apple could open up Siri to all iOS-based devices running iOS 6.0. Since they get to mine data as well as subvert page hits (read: ads) from going to their competitors) there is a good reason for them to offer this functionality once the back end is sufficiently up to date and vetted.

I just mentioned the same thing in another post. Siri will come to all currently sold, and future devices, once it's out of Beta. I'll say 99% sure on that. It's too good of, and a differentiating technology, not to work towards that goal.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #19 of 58
.

Many of you wonder ...

Why would anyone want an iPhone that can't do this or that ?

.

Well, depends what you DO want your iPhone to do

If just basic phone/web/music/games/photo/email/etc

The iPhone 1 - yes, Original - is still damn good

And still probably better than the other 'smart' phones out there

Please, have you seen the chit they're trying to peddle ?

.

So the iPhone 3's ONLY competition is the 4

And since they're pretty cheap these days

Can't go wrong

.



.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

but with each next iteration that glass gets emptier and emptier. I still stand by my point. If you can afford to get the current or at best the one before it, you are better off with an android phone

No... you are worse off.

A 3gs, or dare I say even an iPod Touch + a free feature-phone, is better than dealing with THAT advertising/malware/secure-less/data-mining/fragmented ... mess of an OS.

*Still gobsmacked: why do techies believe that Google has released the Holy Grail called Android for them? You would think due to their ingrained skepticism that they could see through that smoke-screen
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

And the 200+ new features that come with it.

Understandably, the $200 difference makes a difference to many.

However, if one were to realize that comes to less than 28¢ a day over the contract time, it certainly might change some minds.

Hmm. Passing Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for a couple of months, one could save a couple of hundred dollars if the 'cash upfront' that the carrier charges was an issue.

And with Xmas coming, getting members of the family to chip is also possible; unless you are one of those who doesn't believe in collective bargaining. \
post #22 of 58
The 3GS is a great phone... In many ways I prefer it to my 4S.

It feels much nicer in my hand without the sharp edges of the 4S. It even 'looks' thinner.

My wife dropped the 3GS from about three feet onto concrete and there wasn't a mark on it. I don't think my 4S would fair the same.

The only thing I can get Siri to do reliably is call people by name... and the 3GS can do that.
I have a very clear english accent, but it still mishears me about 80% of the time, rendering it essentially useless. Most of the location based services don't work in the UK anyway.

Sure the camera and the screen are nice, but that's the only advantage I can see, it doesn't even seem noticeably faster.

I'm certain the iPhone 5 will be amazing and solve most of the 4S's shortcommings, but there is a long time to wait.
post #23 of 58
I still have my 3Gs. Use it as a second phone for use overseas. I just wish I could legitimately unlock it without a JB. Damn you ATT!

Honestly, I liked the design of the 3G and 3Gs better than the iP4. It just feels more comfortable to hold in your hand. Sure it doesn't have that "Leica" feel but that could have been improved. Personally, I don't see why they could just go back to aluminum. The iPad works well with it, why not that form factor?
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

but with each next iteration that glass gets emptier and emptier. I still stand by my point. If you can afford to get the current or at best the one before it, you are better off with an android phone

Better off with an Android? In your dreams

iPhone 3GS (as well as the iPhone 4) both run the latest iOS 5 software except for Siri, which you can only get with the top of the line iPhone 4S.

Android is so fragmented and dysfunctional that only one Android phone can run the latest Android software! - see link:-

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...or_months.html

To get the latest Android software you have to pay far more than even the top of the line iPhone 4S (because Carriers give much larger subsidies to iPhones) and no Android has Siri, so you won't get Siri however much extra you are willing to pay for Android!

If you don't want Siri then you can get a 3GS or iPhone 4 with the latest iOS 5 for hundreds of dollars less that the only Android with the latest software (but also no Siri).

In every survey iPhone is the most desired Brand, with far higher satisfaction ratings than Android, and far higher retention rates and customer loyalty.

All iPhones have access to a far greater and richer media ecosystem than Android, including the largest range of music, movies, TV programmes, games and eBooks and double the Apps which are far higher quality, and much more bug free than Android Apps, many of which are "fart" Apps that anybody can write.

iOS is far more secure than Android which is wide open to any crook's malaware, spyware and spam

So why do you want to pay so much for a less secure Android with far inferior user experience with no Siri?
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

because some people have never experienced the iPhone at all and just want to get into one without spending $200-$300 on a phone just for some feature that's not 100% right now. To me, Siri is a luxury, not a necessity.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

If you cant afford the current or at least the one before the current then you wont be able get much content for your iphone cause most apps in the apple apps store cost money.

You are better off with android if you cant or dont want to speed money on apps

Dude, the 3Gs is supported up to the most current iOS to date. Unless the App Manuf. specifically states that you need an iPhone4 or better, the 3Gs will work fine.

Let's not be so smug about this. The more iOS users we have the better IMO.
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!

well, if you look at the history behind the naming, They called iP4 that way because it was legitimately the 4th iPhone. Naming the next one after the 4s the iPhone 5 makes no sense. It would be called iPhone 6. If you remember the 2nd generation iPhone was called the iPhone 3G, not iPhone 2.

So my bet would be on iPhone 6 or iPhone 4G(s)
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

because in a couple more months,Apple will release SIRI in the app store for $29.99. Then everyone can talk to their iPhone regardless of it's version.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

well, if you look at the history behind the naming, They called iP4 that way because it was legitimately the 4th iPhone. Naming the next one after the 4s the iPhone 5 makes no sense. It would be called iPhone 6. If you remember the 2nd generation iPhone was called the iPhone 3G, not iPhone 2.

So my bet would be on iPhone 6 or iPhone 4G(s)

of course it makes sense, as the last phone had 4 in the name.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

of course it makes sense, as the last phone had 4 in the name.

So why didn't they have an iPhone 2? Why didn't they simply have an iPhone 3 after the iPhone 3G? Why didn't call the 5th gen iPhone 5? You people are really dense if you think the 6th gen iPhone will be called iPhone 5. Regardless of what they call it it will NOT be called iPhone 5. The ONLY device that was given a simple cardinal number after the name was the iPhone 4 because that the 4th generation. This is rocket science people, this isn't basic reasoning skills.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So why didn't they have an iPhone 2? Why didn't they simply have an iPhone 3 after the iPhone 3G? Why didn't call the 5th gen Phone iPhone 5? You people are really dense if you think the 6th gen iPhone will be called iPhone 5. Regardless of what they call it it will NOT be called iPhone 5. The ONLY device that was given a simple cardinal number after the name was the iPhone 4 because that the 4th generation. This is rocket science people, this is basic reasoning skills.

The didn't have an iPhone 2 because they wanted to advertise that the phone was a 3G. They therefore broke the numbering system, which you seem to think IS JUST IMPOSSIBLE

They will call it the iPhone 5 , or possibly an iPhone 4GS, if it is only a 4G phone, which I think unlikely given the state of that market.

If there is a phone called the iPhone 4GS the next phone is not going to be called the iPhone 7, it will be the iPhone 5 if they keep the numbering system. The reason is simple, these are marketing terms not terms for nerds who can count.

If anything, and this is where I put my money, they will create three lines of phones next year, each with different form factors - iPhone classic, iPhone, iPhone Pro ( or similar names) - with the form factors of the 3GS, 4, and The Next Phone.


Mods - why is this muppet getting away with abusive posts in most of his replies. He is adding nothing to this forum, get to work.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The didn't have an iPhone 2 because they wanted to advertise that the phone was a 3G. They therefore broke the numbering system, which you seem to think IS JUST IMPOSSIBLE

They will call it the iPhone 5 , or possibly an iPhone 4GS, if it is only a 4G phone, which I think unlikely given the state of that market.

If there is a phone called the iPhone 4GS the next phone is not going to be called the iPhone 7, it will be the iPhone 5 if they keep the numbering system. The reason is simple, these are marketing terms not terms for nerds who can count.

If anything, and this is where I put my money, they will create three lines of phones next year, each with different form factors - iPhone classic, iPhone, iPhone Pro ( or similar names) - with the form factors of the 3GS, 4, and The Next Phone.

You ddn't create a valid counter-argument, you just babble off stuff we already know. As previously stated there is only precedence for using a lone cardinal number to refer to the generation of the device: The iPhone 4. For the 6th generation iPhone it will be called iPhone 4G for LTE, iPhone 6, or anything but iPhone 5.

Quote:
Mods - why is this muppet getting away with abusive posts in most of his replies. He is adding nothing to this forum, get to work.

You are the only one that has made an ad hominem personal attack here. Decimating your argument isn't against the forum rules, you just need to learn to think more before you post. I have faith in you.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You ddn't create a valid counter-argument, you just babble off stuff we already know. As previously stated there is only precedence for using a lone cardinal number to refer to the generation of the device: The iPhone 4. For the 6th generation iPhone it will be called iPhone 4G for LTE, iPhone 6, or anything but iPhone 5.

There is no such preference. Apple used the iPhone 4 after the 3GS because it changed the form factor. If they had released a 3GS+ the next change in form factor would be the iPhone 4.

Lets get this clear. The is no way that Apple will jump a number. In marketing terms that is lunacy. They are not counting. Nerds might be counting but Apple has a marketing department with lots of people who will decide on the next name not on the basis of a count, but on what will have the best marketing impact - and appearing to jump from a 4 model to a iPhone 6, or 7 would have the technical press in tears of laughter. Nobody is counting but you and two other guys on the internet.

( I think they will abandon numbers in time, as I said).

Quote:
You are the only one that has made an ad hominem personal attack here. Decimating your argument isn't against the forum rules, you just need to learn to think more before you post. I have faith in you.

A response to You people are really dense.

In any case I take it back. Kermit put on a good if chaotic show, and showed a fair amount of intelligence. Apologies for any offence caused.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #34 of 58
Back to the topic at hand. There is a lot of milage in he 3GS and it's form factor. I would have though that 2 million was a bit weak, actually, given the price drops. If they ever meet that sweet spot of $199-£220 ( when the 5 is released) then the 3GS could become the biggest seller again.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


So my bet would be on iPhone 6 or iPhone 4G(s)

The 4GS will be the next iPhone. It will have 4G capability, a faster chip, and an exclusive software feature (likely something to do with maps). Otherwise, it will be the same phone.

It will be a huge disappointment, and will sell very well.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There is no such preference. Apple used the iPhone 4 after the 3GS because it changed the form factor. If they had released a 3GS+ the next change in form factor would be the iPhone 4.

You're saying here that the iPhone 4 was ONLY named iPhone 4 because they changed form factor? Not because it was the 4th Gen iPhone?

So by your logic, the iPhone 4 SHOULD HAVE been named the iPhone 3 because it was the 3rd form factor. So your statement is a little off, since the iPhone 3G and 3Gs were essentially the same form factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lets get this clear. The is no way that Apple will jump a number. In marketing terms that is lunacy. They are not counting. Nerds might be counting but Apple has a marketing department with lots of people who will decide on the next name not on the basis of a count, but on what will have the best marketing impact - and appearing to jump from a 4 model to a iPhone 6, or 7 would have the technical press in tears of laughter. Nobody is counting but you and two other guys on the internet.

They jumped TWO (2) numbers when they named the iPhone 4. They skipped iPhone 2 because they were trying to emphasize that the second-gen phone was 3G capable, as stated previously.

They also skipped 3 (technically) because the 3G in 3Gs was still referring to 3G capability (i have no idea what the lower-case "s" in a box meant). You will also notice that the "s" on the box is a full space after the 3G. Google the box if you like.

Then They skipped FIVE (5) when they named the iPhone 4s. The "s" meaning "Siri", it has been rumored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

( I think they will abandon numbers in time, as I said).

Just about the only thing you've said that I agree with. However that has been said many times, including myself, in previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

A response to You people are really dense.

Insulting your fellow post-ers never wins any battles.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
So by your logic, the iPhone 4 SHOULD HAVE been named the iPhone 3 because it was the 3rd form factor. So your statement is a little off, since the iPhone 3G and 3Gs were essentially the same form factor.

Because the 3G has a number in it, a 3 would seem like a backward step so the used the 4 to signify the new form factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


They jumped TWO (2) numbers when they named the iPhone 4. They skipped iPhone 2 because they were trying to emphasize that the second-gen phone was 3G capable, as stated previously.

Yes, very good. But you admit the 3G and 3GS has a number here, and then goes on to say it doesn't. Like....

Quote:
They also skipped 3 (technically) because the 3G in 3Gs was still referring to 3G capability (i have no idea what the lower-case "s" in a box meant).

It meant speed. The 3 was still in there.

Quote:
Then They skipped FIVE (5) when they named the iPhone 4s. The "s" meaning "Siri", it has been rumoured.

No, speed. Again,

Apple isn't following any numbering system which maps to the actual yearly release of the phone. They are bumping up number for significant releases and changes in form factor, except in the case where they use the change radio chip to name ( as in the 3G, and maybe the 4G). If there is a number phone after the 4S it will be the 5, if there is one after the 4GS is will also be the 5, because any other number would seem ridiculous, like jumping a few generations.

Quote:
Plus insulting your fellow post-ers never wins any battles.

The guy I was quoting never stops.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Because the 3G has a number in it, a 3 would seem like a backward step so the used the 4 to signify the new form factor.

Yes, very good. But you admit the 3G and 3GS has a number here, and then goes on to say it doesn't. Like....

You're reading this wrong, I never said the the "3" in 3G or 3Gs meant it was the third Gen iPhone, it stands for "3G" and "3G S"...this means the radio chip not the Generation of the phone. LOOK at the Box! or Apple's website, there is a visible gap between the "G" and the "S" but no space between the "3" and the "G". And on the box there's a much bigger space between and the "S" is in a rounded filled box. Same as the iPhone 4 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It meant speed. The 3 was still in there.
Thanks for the clarification, could your site your source?

No, speed. Again,

Meaning the iPhone 4 S? I'm not sure if there is an official statement on either phone why the "S" is there. Please forward me your source and I will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple isn't following any numbering system which maps to the actual yearly release of the phone. They are bumping up number for significant releases and changes in form factor, except in the case where they use the change radio chip to name ( as in the 3G, and maybe the 4G). If there is a number phone after the 4S it will be the 5, if there is one after the 4GS is will also be the 5, because any other number would seem ridiculous, like jumping a few generations.

But as my (quite clear) argument goes, they did skip several numbers when they named the iPhone 4, which just so happened to be the 4th year release...so again your statement is false.

Yes, naming the next iPhone...5 or even 6 would be a bit silly. That's why I think it may be something more referring to the features/technology of the phone, like 4G, 4G S or LTE or whatever...
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Because the 3G has a number in it, a 3 would seem like a backward step so the used the 4 to signify the new form factor.

So you think Apple with use generational numbers to refer to drastic case changes? You go ahead and stick with that theory and the rest of us will stay out of the wardrobe.

Quote:
Apple isn't following any numbering system which maps to the actual yearly release of the phone. They are bumping up number for significant releases and changes in form factor, except in the case where they use the change radio chip to name ( as in the 3G, and maybe the 4G). If there is a number phone after the 4S it will be the 5, if there is one after the 4GS is will also be the 5, because any other number would seem ridiculous, like jumping a few generations.

So you acknolwdge Apple will skip numbers if it betters their marketing as noted by calling the 2nd gen iPhone an iPhone 3G, and then not simply calling the 3rd gen an iPhone 3, yet you forget what you just were and state they will call the 6th gen an iPhone 5. You've complete discounted the possibility of an iPhone 4G to represent HSPA+/LTE, or iPhone 6 to refer to the 6th generation, or some other naming concession that doesn't tie a previous generation number to a later generation because you think 4S preceded 5. Good luck with that.

Show me a single example of an iPod with generational number that is not of that generation.
Quote:
The guy I was quoting never stops.

This muppet goes after after weak and myopic comments not weak and myopic commenters.


PS: People refer to the next iPad as iPad 3 not because they are sure it will be called that, but because it's the 3rd gen iPad. For all we know it could be iPad 2S if it has the same form factor, or even iPad 2 HD or anything else, but we sat iPad 3 because it's a logical placeholder.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It meant speed. The 3 was still in there.

That's what people THINK it meant. I don't think it's ever been stated by Apple or SJ.
http://techcrunch.com/2009/06/08/say...creaming-fast/
Note in this article the author says "that's what the 'S' REALLY means". My take on that statement says that we still don't know what it means, just what we THINK it means...or what the general public has accepted as the meaning. That's why I claim no idea on it's meaning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No, speed. Again,

The "S" in iPhone 4 S has never been explained by Apple.

http://macdailynews.com/2011/10/12/w...uy-this-phone/
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...and-for-speed/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: OEM production of two-year-old iPhone 3GS to reach 2M in Dec. quarter
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: OEM production of two-year-old iPhone 3GS to reach 2M in Dec. quarter