or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2

Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2

post #1 of 33
Apple on Monday provided developers with a second beta of iOS 5.1, with the latest update granting the ability to delete individual photos synced to the iCloud Photo Stream feature.

The latest beta is now available to members of the iOS developer program. People familiar with beta 2 said one of the newest additions automatically deletes pictures from Photo Stream when they are deleted from the iPhone.

Currently, pictures taken on an iOS device are automatically synced with the Photo Stream feature of Apple's iCloud. But if a user deletes a picture from their iPhone, it is not removed from iCloud. Instead, users must unsync their entire photo library in order to remove an uploaded photo.

Those same people said that the latest beta of iOS 5.1 is known as build 9B5127c. Some issues do reportedly remain with the pre-release software, including freezes related to Setup Assistant and the shake-to-shuffle feature in the iOS music player.

iOS 5.1 beta 2 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. It is an 801MB download. A new beta firmware for the Apple TV was also issued Monday, and allows developers to test iOS 5.1 applications with AirPlay on the set-top box.

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers in late November. It included references to a next-generation iPhone, labeled "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."

post #2 of 33
Quote:
Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2

I'm glad they listened. Was pretty stupid omission in the first place. Now I can re-enable iCloud syncing for photos.
post #3 of 33
Well it's about time!

That was a feature that should have been included in the launch!

Now I might actually find some use for photostream
post #4 of 33
Does this mean that if you delete photo's from iPhone when importing to iPhoto, that they will delete from photostream?

It's kind of useful to have them still in the photostream folder on the iPhone after you do this.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #5 of 33
"Hey honey, why did this picture of a stripper just show up in iPhoto?"
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Or worse. Try showing off your AppleTV to your parents when all of a sudden your Photostream starts it's slideshow on your 52" screen.
post #7 of 33
This is a good step in making Photostream useful, by getting rid of photos you don't want to keep anywhere.

Even more importantly, it now needs the same change on Mac in IPhoto.
Problem now is you take 20 photos on a camera, and after import to iPhoto, and review/edit you only keep only 2 or 3 of them. Unfortunately right now all 20 are in the Photostream sent to your IPAD/IPhone.

Hopefully Apple will make this change as well.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

This is a good step in making Photostream useful, by getting rid of photos you don't want to keep anywhere.

Even more importantly, it now needs the same change on Mac in IPhoto.
Problem now is you take 20 photos on a camera, and after import to iPhoto, and review/edit you only keep only 2 or 3 of them. Unfortunately right now all 20 are in the Photostream sent to your IPAD/IPhone.

Hopefully Apple will make this change as well.

Just turn off Automatic upload in iPhoto.
post #9 of 33
I hope they fix Cover Flow too.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I hope they fix Cover Flow too.

What's wrong with Cover Flow?
post #11 of 33
Maybe I'm being dense but what if I accidentaly delete a photo on my iPhone? I would like the option to retrieve it from PhotoStream.

I'd prefer to pick and choose which photos I delete from PhotoStream...
post #12 of 33
Finally!
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Maybe I'm being dense but what if I accidentaly delete a photo on my iPhone? I would like the option to retrieve it from PhotoStream.

I'd prefer to pick and choose which photos I delete from PhotoStream...

...not picking on you, poster, rather, just goes to show that no matter what changes Apple makes, they can never please everyone.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #14 of 33
I'd be happy if Apple could make Photo Stream work in the first place. Case in point - if you take photos away from a WiFi connection and later connect via WiFi, Photo Stream is supposed to spring into action and upload those newly-taken photos. Except that it doesn't happen - at least reliably. If it were, the iPhone's Camera Roll and Photo Stream would be in sync (assuming that you don't delete photos from the phone after importing them into iPhoto). We've tried and tried, and just can't get this to work reliably, and if you go to Apple's iCloud support forum, we are far from alone.
post #15 of 33
I'm actually not OK with this... Hopefully this is just poor wording / misunderstanding by AppleInsider. I'd like to be able to delete photos from the Stream, but I don't want it to necessarily happen automatically when I delete photos from my camera roll... Photo Stream is almost a backup -- I don't want my backup automatically deleted in the event I delete a photo accidentally.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srice View Post

LOL. EXACTLY why I quit using it.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday provided developers with a second beta of iOS 5.1, with the latest update granting the ability to delete individual photos synced to the iCloud Photo Stream feature.

Great, I'd been holding off on using iCloud until they fixed this egregious bit of bad design. I still don't trust Apple to get the Internet right, they are not good at it yet, but I might start using iCloud, especially since I'm sure they'll force me to eventually.
post #18 of 33
It's very slow and sometimes it freezes for seconds on my iPhone 4. Some people have the same issues, its on Apple support forum too. Cover Flow was always very smooth before 5.0 even on my iPhone 3G.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

...not picking on you, poster, rather, just goes to show that no matter what changes Apple makes, they can never please everyone.....

They could do a lot better if they listened to and responded to issues like this instead of throwing the Great Wall of Apple up.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Hehe... no offence taken. I was just hoping that I was reading it wrong.

Surely Apple would have thought about these scenarios...

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Great, I'd been holding off on using iCloud until they fixed this egregious bit of bad design. I still don't trust Apple to get the Internet right, they are not good at it yet, but I might start using iCloud, especially since I'm sure they'll force me to eventually.

Sure Apple has their faults, but they have plenty of iCloud aspects dead on. I'd like to hear how address book, reminders, bookmarks, and calendars are screwed up.

Heres the great part about iCloud (which you have a negative opinion on- even though you haven't used it)- you can turn features OFF!!! So if you hate it, you don't have to live with it. Go figure....

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #22 of 33
This should never have been news. I think the way the iPhone handles pictures is just retarded. Why can't I choose not to use iPhoto for getting my pictures on the Mac? Thank god for DiskAid and similar software.
And before you think I'm a troll: for the rest I am very happy with my iPhone 4.
post #23 of 33
I'm glad they finally added this feature.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #24 of 33
[insult removed]
post #25 of 33

Cult of Mac

Anyone else notice that Apple will be releasing the iPhone 11, iPad 11, iPod Touch 11 and Apple TV 10 next year.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijordan View Post

[insult removed]

tsa clearly used the term to mean "delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment" in reference to an item, not a person. At one point it was the standard clinical term to refer to "a mentally handicapped person" as such because the original usage. While that is no longer acceptable that doesn't mean it's unacceptable to use the term in other contexts.

When did language get so prissy that if there is any definition or context that is offensive means the word in any other definition or context can no longer be used? It's pretty ridiculous. Soon we won't be able to refer to an object as being black in colour simply because it can also be a used as an offensive description of a person.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Does this mean that if you delete photo's from iPhone when importing to iPhoto, that they will delete from photostream?

It's kind of useful to have them still in the photostream folder on the iPhone after you do this.

When you delete photos after importing them from your phone, you delete them from the Camera Roll, so the images would remain in PhotoStream unless you deleted them from there as well.

If you're using PhotoStream, though, wouldn't it be easier to import from the iPhoto PhotoStream folder instead of directly from the phone?
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

This should never have been news. I think the way the iPhone handles pictures is just retarded. Why can't I choose not to use iPhoto for getting my pictures on the Mac? Thank god for DiskAid and similar software.
And before you think I'm a troll: for the rest I am very happy with my iPhone 4.

Not sure why you aren't aware of this, but Image Capture app has always been available as an alternative to iPhoto for transferring photos to your Mac.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

Just turn off Automatic upload in iPhoto.

Right, but even better if they could figure out the stuff you want and upload automatically.
So deleting photos you delete in iPhoto and replacing versions of photos as you edit them is the real solution. This would give you the best versions of the best photos.
post #30 of 33
It's about time

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #31 of 33
I'd like control over individual pictures in camera roll, with ability to delete photos from streaming to iCloud before the process proceeds. We share an iMac in our household under the same user; I don't see any reason why party pics should show up on our home computer for our kids to view. At the same time I'd like to be able to automatically stream the rest of the photos.
post #32 of 33
I agree, I think I would much rather have the control to delete photos directly from the stream, as opposed to them being automatically deleted based off of what photos I delete from my phone. What if I want the photos in the stream, but just don't want them on my phone? There's plenty of instances where that would be the case. I want a constant stream of my new photos playing on my apple tv, but I need to clean some space off my phone for new photos and videos.......Now what? The only option that it leaves you with is importing them to iPhoto or Aperture first, and then importing to the photo stream
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post

I'd like control over individual pictures in camera roll, with ability to delete photos from streaming to iCloud before the process proceeds. We share an iMac in our household under the same user; I don't see any reason why party pics should show up on our home computer for our kids to view. At the same time I'd like to be able to automatically stream the rest of the photos.

Situations like this are why OS X is a multi-user operating system.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2