or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year

Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year - Page 3

post #81 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like $99 buys a lot of whining.

Only if you buy it

I love my AppleTV and will be handing several out for Christmas gifts this year. The same reason geeks whine about the AppleTV are why the iPhone, iPad and eventually AppleTV will be the most popular.

It does a limited amount of things, but the things it does are what the vast majority people will want, and it will do them very, very well with a user experience second to none.

So while there will be whining and consternation in inside baseball threads like this, Apple will continue to slowly march on and rack up sales that are puzzling to their techie critics.
post #82 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well the apple tv is $99. In addition, many people aren't "hard core" gamers to justify getting a game console. You can't play bluray on the 360 either.

I tried out video mirroring on my iPhone 4S for the first time last night. Games designed for the Retina display look better than either the Xbox360 or PS3.

I think people have missed the point that with AirPlay, Apple doesn't need to put games on the Apple TV itself...
post #83 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

According to Apple you don't need physical media. "but what about home movies.". You ask? How do you share them with you're family in hi def quality?

You take your iPhone or iPad over to their house and use AirPlay. Or you do what most people do - upload to FaceBook

Quote:
Simple. Use the MobileMe web gallery. But you had better hurry. You only have a few months left before they kill that too.

Yup, because nothing ever changes... With the aforementioned upload to facebook, youtube, vimeo and the plethora of other alternatives (including AirPlay) why exactly did Apple need to continue with MobileMe? Like it or not, users of gallery or web sites on Mobile.Me were a minority. And lest you think I'm happy about it going away, I'm not since I used those features too. But I also realize I'm in the minority and there is a plethora of readily available alternatives - many are free to boot.
post #84 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ78 View Post

1) User Interface
2) Xbox requires "Live" subscription
2) $99

and finally

3) User Interface

I can't speak for the SonyPS, but the interface on the Xbox360 is visual barf and puts me in an instant bad mood.

I just don't understand how so many companies can't make a decent U.I. that is visually pleasing. Is there only one formula and only Apple can figure it out? It perplexes me. It must be very difficult.

Seriously? This thing?

From a software perspective the Apple TV contains the least amount of innovation I've ever seen Apple put into any product they have ever made.

The Apple TV UI is an evolved Front Row that itself was a clone of Media Center from 4 years earlier.

Granted Media Center hasn't changed much in 10 years either...

...but when you compare those two to the Xbox 360 dashboard (which can be controlled via remote, motion, voice or the Windows Phone companion app) it's not hard to see who is pushing the 10 foot interface forward at the moment.
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash12 View Post

My point is what is wrong with Apple and their fans like me who can not make apple to add browser to apple-tv.

Because for well over a decade it's been proven over and over again that almost no one wants to browse the web on your TV.

Especially in the era of the iPad. Browsing is faster, easier and far more intimate on my iPad in front of my TV than with a browser on my TV.
post #86 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Seriously? This thing?

From a software perspective the Apple TV contains the least amount of innovation I've ever seen Apple put into any product they have ever made.

The Apple TV UI is an evolved Front Row that itself was a clone of Media Center from 4 years earlier.

Granted Media Center hasn't changed much in 10 years either...

...but when you compare those two to the Xbox 360 dashboard (which can be controlled via remote, motion, voice or the Windows Phone companion app) it's not hard to see who is pushing the 10 foot interface forward at the moment.

HBOGo... Im so freaking jealous. Why apple... Why?!?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Until Apple themselves say to the telecoms, "Your customers get to choose whatever plan they want when they use an iPhone or you don't get to carry it," nothing WILL change. But they'll never say that. So we'll never have that.

I must have hallucinated those unlocked iPhone 4s that were for sale

Nope! Still there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Store Website

About the Unlocked iPhone

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T in the United States.* The unlocked iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S will not work with CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

If you don’t want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. It arrives without a micro-SIM card, so you’ll need an active micro-SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using it, simply insert the micro-SIM card into the slot on your iPhone and turn it on by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.

Special Financing Offer.

Buy your unlocked iPhone with financing. Apply for instant approval and pay no interest for up to 12 months if paid in full. Restrictions Apply.
post #88 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

HBOGo... Im so freaking jealous. Why apple... Why?!?

You and Firefly7475 should realize these deals for HBOGO and other channels/networks are new to the 360. You guys make it sound it like it's been there since day one.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #89 of 117
Quote:

Seriously? This thing?

Yup - because for all the "pizzaz" of the other interfaces you show, once you get past the eye candy and try to actually use them it's a confusing mis-mash of nested menu's and arbitrary gropings of unrelated functions. And yes, I own and use all three of the boxes.

The Xbox is the worst. I haven't fired it up to update to the latest dashboard so I may have to eat my words, but I'm not too worried based on MS's past and consistent incompetence
post #90 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You and Firefly7475 should realize these deals for HBOGO and other channels/networks are new to the 360. You guys make it sound it like it's been there since day one.

Of course that stuff is new, but we can't ignore the new stuff in the context I was making my comment. That would be like someone complaining the iOS UI sucks because it doesn't have copy & paste.
post #91 of 117
Quote:

Of course that stuff is new, but we can't ignore the new stuff in the context I was making my comment. That would be like someone complaining the iOS UI sucks because it doesn't have copy & paste.

Well, if HBO GO missing was a simple technical problem like copy and paste, they might be comparable. Since it's not a technical but business problem, it's not entirely in Apple's control to make what some people see as obvious happen.
post #92 of 117
Airplay is indeed the killer app.

It would be nice if Hulu were on the AppleTV. I'd pay for Hulu Plus and ditch cable once and for all.
post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

1. the PS3 isn't noisy, neither of mines make much noise at all.
2. PS3 isn't an energy whore, the first gen was, but so is the first gen Apple TV
3. I have the first gen AppleTV, it isn't that tiny
4. You mean just like the PS3? All my videos play fine on my AppleTV, PS3 and iPods
5. What's that, my Apple TV doesn't have anything called Airplay on it, Apple dumped it and no longer adds features, unlike Sony that is still providing firmware updates for my 2007 european release PS3

I know what you mean about the power usage, I have unplugged my first gen AppleTV because it uses so much power, and except for pulling the power there is no way of physically turning it off.

1. PS3 makes a noise. Apple TV2 is silent. Sorry, the PS3 uses a fucktonne of energy. The A4 in the Apple TV2 uses little. PS3 slim uses between 75 and 95 watts, ATV uses 16-19 watts. ATV2 uses 6 watts max.
3. Apple TV2 is tiny
4. They play with only stereo audio on ps3
5. The article is reference to the Apple TV2 seeing as they no longer make the first. It's only $99 for a new more efficient environmentally friendly ATV2

For a video playback device a console is overkill, on size, noise and power consumption. Its for this reason I got Apple TV2's for the kids rooms, rather than using their consoles. Now we have 3 ATV2 in total.
post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

There must be a lot of "professional" game players out there. My question is why would anyone older than an eighth grader want a Xbox or PS3?. Isn't there some line that says to become an adult, you have to put away childish toys?
post #95 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I tried out video mirroring on my iPhone 4S for the first time last night. Games designed for the Retina display look better than either the Xbox360 or PS3.

And another... really?!?!?!?!

vs
post #96 of 117
Quote:

I think you might have a valid argument to make but saying that iOS doesn't have copy/paste isn't one.

It's looking like deals with content owners, distributors and networks are the next step, as well as distributors creating original programming. We should see more at CES and hopefully see what Apple brings to the table a month or so after that. But that's all beside the point, right now we can we can compare some of these services. Take Netflix as a great example. You make a pejorative "Seriously? Thing thing?" comment followed by "least amount of innovation" statement yet it's the best interface for accessing Netflix from an HEC media extender. For my money I want something done right, not something that can do everyone poorly.

post #97 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Well, if HBO GO missing was a simple technical problem like copy and paste, they might be comparable. Since it's not a technical but business problem, it's not entirely in Apple's control to make what some people see as obvious happen.

HBOGO is an iOS app.... It's 'seems' largely an Apple issue to put existing 'content' apps on the ATV. Although there is airplay mirroring.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

While I use it a lot for airplay and youtube / vimeo on a big screen, it's gained far more use since I jailbroke it (seas0npass) and installed xbmc on it...

Now it does all the fun things apple supplied with it but it will also stream all my divx ripped dvds off my NAS over UPNP too... I used to have to use my PS3 for streaming but the apple tv is far easier, uses less power and doesn't have a dirty great fan in it making a racket while it's on.

You don't have to jailbreak it to be able to play 'divx' movies. The VLC streaming app can play all movies on your computer on your iOS device and via airplay on your TV.
Works great except in my case for HD movies (frame drop problems).

Another way to do the same is to re-encode your movies to m4v via Handbrake. This tool is fast and has more than excellent quality and works for mkv divx etc.
HD 720p (Apple TV cannot handle 1080p) is (depending on the source ofcourse) of the best quality I have seen on my HD tv.
Import the m4v files into iTunes (right click, open with ...) and you can view them directly on apple tv via home sharing.

J.
post #99 of 117
Quote:

I think you might have a valid argument to make but saying that iOS doesn't have copy/paste isn't one.

The only point I'm trying to make is that it's like complaining about iOS not having copy & paste "now", as in after it has been fixed.

A person can't really argue that the Xbox 360 and PS3 UI's are crap compared to the Apple TV when they haven't even used the latest UI on those systems.

You do have a point about a lot of change on the horizon. For example most of the TV stuff didn't come with the Xbox dashboard update, it's only due Q1 next year.

I also don't think the Apple TV UI is crap, it's actually ok.

However it's hard to argue that Apple are the only ones that "get it" and that everything else is crap (like IQ78 was).

Apple didn't really innovate at all when it comes to the Apple TV UI. They just took their cue from existing "10 foot interfaces" on the market and gave it some Apple polish.

I suppose the positive side to that is (for the moment) Apple haven't really shown us how they think a TV UI should work. That's something to look forward to perhaps.
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

There must be a lot of "professional" game players out there. My question is why would anyone older than an eighth grader want a Xbox or PS3?. Isn't there some line that says to become an adult, you have to put away childish toys?

Let's see, as a 31-year-old (at the time) female, I bought my PS3 because it was one of the cheapest and best Blu-Ray players on the market. (yes, I'm a dinosaur for still buying discs because I want silly things like 1080p video and lossless audio. Or maybe that means I have an 8th grade mentality.) Price-wise and feature-wise, it is STILL one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market. Besides Airplay (and no surprise that a non-Apple product doesn't have a proprietary Apple feature), it has every feature the AppleTV does and more so. And it keeps getting better with every upgrade. And it already has the concept of "apps" though Sony hasn't exploited that as much as they perhaps should. I haven't played a game on the thing in years, but it gets used constantly for movies and music.

And then funny how you call the Xbox and PS3 childish, when others are clamoring for games on the AppleTV or saying about how Airplay of games to the AppleTV is a killer feature. I guess there must be a lot of childish Apple fans on this site. You should probably tell them to grow the hell up while you're at it.
post #101 of 117
When I gave my opinion and hand-on experience with apple-tv about missing browser; one comment was if it was so important to surf nate on big tv than it would have taken off and other comment was to use ipad or iphone air play feature to beam contents to apple-tv to display on big screen.

ok.ok.. if browsing net was not needed feature than google would not have put so much efforts to try to add that on google-tv. Because some point, big players like apple, google wants to integrate internet search/browsing/streaming/apps with traditional TV stream contents. So, providing safari on apple tv is not much of a work(jailbreaking community is trying to provide such feature) but added good feature for apple-tv. Apple has to provide specifications for remote keyboard like logitech to make. With 3rd party cheap keyboard/remote can do job interfacing with the apple-tv. Moreover, I do not need to ask my son for his ipad to air play on apple-tv for large tv browsing or my daughter's iphone to browse internet while watching time warner TV shows sitting on sofa. Not everyone can lay around ipad to air play internet browsing to display on large tv.

Other member suggested hdmi input to apple-tv to feed in from Tivo like other tv/internet boxes have which is also an excellent idea/feature.

I am sure, once apple has iTV in 2012-13; it will have everything that apple-tv has plus app store, hdmi input and web browsing and more........ rest my case.
post #102 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

1. PS3 makes a noise. Apple TV2 is silent. Sorry, the PS3 uses a fucktonne of energy. The A4 in the Apple TV2 uses little. PS3 slim uses between 75 and 95 watts, ATV uses 16-19 watts. ATV2 uses 6 watts max.
3. Apple TV2 is tiny
5. The article is reference to the Apple TV2 seeing as they no longer make the first. It's only $99 for a new more efficient environmentally friendly ATV2

For a video playback device a console is overkill, on size, noise and power consumption. Its for this reason I got Apple TV2's for the kids rooms, rather than using their consoles. Now we have 3 ATV2 in total.

I don't hear any noise from my PS3. Energy? Yep I am an energy hog with my PS3, plasma HDTV, home theater. It is the price I pay for my entertainment. If I was too concerned about energy, I would turn everything off and go on a bicycle ride.
post #103 of 117
Quote:

and, again, if you have an ipad or iphone you can airplay network show using there app, its not like there is no way around it.
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

HBOGO is an iOS app.... It's 'seems' largely an Apple issue to put existing 'content' apps on the ATV. Although there is airplay mirroring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

and, again, if you have an ipad or iphone you can airplay network show using there app, its not like there is no way around it.

No you can't.

post #105 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

3. Apple TV2 is tiny

1. Yes, the PS3 makes a noise, it has a fan in it, but it doesn't make a lot of noise. My first gen Mac Mini makes a lot more noise than with of my PS3's (fat), the the thin makes hardly any.

2. The AppleTV has a limited function set, the original is a energy whore considering what it does. Also, my PS3s have a switch on the back of them, I switch them off when not using them, doesn't use any energy then.

3. Yeah? All is just a media player, there is no reason for them to be large, the PS3 does a lot more, it has an optical drive in it, and a hard drive.

4. Hmm, since you are massively wrong here, why should I believe you on anything else? All the DVD's I convert play in DD 5.1 on my PS3? Maybe you should use Handbrake and use the correct settings?

5. Yet everyone here references the original PS3 fat, the model they don't make anymore. Why should I purchase ATV2, they cost $170, and it will be another product Apple will dump and stop providing updates for.

My kids don't have TVs in their bedrooms, and the units only use energy when they are on. Why do you leave them on so much? Or do you dump your kids in front of the TV constantly? And I can purchase a lot of power for $170, can't see the benefit in spending money when it will take years (and Apple would have dumped it by then) to get any cost benefit from it.
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Oppo BDP-95 rips a PS3 to shreds even before ModWright gets ahold of it.

Yes, lovely player, and locally it costs nearly 3x the price of a PS3
post #107 of 117
Quote:

Yes, lovely player, and locally it costs nearly 3x the price of a PS3

For the money (it's subsidized) the PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player for people who will use all of it. It's horrid for analog audio, hasn't done SA-CD since the 2nd gen 80 Gig (which I own because my gen 1 croaked), has never supported DVD-Audio, the slim PS3s are a a lot noisier than my standalone, sizable power usage difference, form factor, integration with existing remote control. . .

In context, I was not knocking the PS3, rather stating reasons why some might prefer an AppleTV purchase over a PS3. In point, already owning or preferring a better transport for the Blu-ray experience. Like I said, I own a PS3 but not for Blu-ray and not for the home theater - the play room.
post #108 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I haven't downloaded it yet, but does it work with AirPlay mirroring? If not, that's why it's not on the AppleTV.

Simply because an iOS app exists, doesn't mean the content providers will allow it to work everywhere. Look at what Google faced with the Google TV and the blocking of Hulu. This is hardly an issue limited to Apple.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc. are not the issue - the content providers are. Want to see it change more quickly? Fully support every Netflix, Amazon Prime or other attempts at funding content created by them. Even if you don't really care for the series that the likes of Netflix are funding - stream 'em! That's the only way the dinosaurs in Hollywood will wake up and take notice.
post #109 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I don't know why anyone would buy AppleTV when Xbox 360 and PS3 do so much more. And let's face it, the way to get content on to AppleTV is also less than ideal - where is the USB slot or the Blu Ray drive?

Clearly you just don't get it.
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

For the money (it's subsidized) the PS3 is a fantastic blu-ray player for people who will use all of it. It's horrid for analog audio, hasn't done SA-CD since the 2nd gen 80 Gig (which I own because my gen 1 croaked), has never supported DVD-Audio, the slim PS3s are a a lot noisier than my standalone, sizable power usage difference, form factor, integration with existing remote control. . .

In context, I was not knocking the PS3, rather stating reasons why some might prefer an AppleTV purchase over a PS3. In point, already owning or preferring a better transport for the Blu-ray experience. Like I said, I own a PS3 but not for Blu-ray and not for the home theater - the play room.

I realise that, I think people on this site think their solution is the best for everyone, where it won't be in most circumstances. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase two ATV2s for my TVs at $170 each, I already have a PS3 on both that work just as well (and $170 will purchase a lot of power which cancels the power argument). Plus the PS3 will handle all the blu-ray audio formats, supports 3D, handles all my DVD rips, and my iTunes music library as well
post #111 of 117
Quote:

The only propaganda I see is people thinking they can group game consoles in with the category of device outlined by the Apple TV. That's abject nonsense.

Abject nonsense is pretending these devices don't offer the same or better functionality at the same pricepoint simply to push your own agenda, whatever nonsensical agenda that is.
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #112 of 117
Quote:

And another... really?!?!?!?!

They're all drinking the koolaid. I hate fanboiz who blindly follow a brand regardless of its merit. It's like watching a sony forum here sometimes. Most of the time you can ignore it, but every once in a while it's so far away from reality that all you can say is "REALLY???!?!??!?"
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcha101 View Post

Clearly you just don't get it.

Or clearly you just don't get it. Apple TV offers nothing the xbox or ps3 hasn't already offered for years and years... except for money that goes in apples pocket. that's new for apple.
post #114 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

They're all drinking the koolaid. I hate fanboiz who blindly follow a brand regardless of its merit. It's like watching a sony forum here sometimes. Most of the time you can ignore it, but every once in a while it's so far away from reality that all you can say is "REALLY???!?!??!?"

I don't think it's everyone... but there are certainly a select few members that have gone well beyond fanatical. To try and claim the AirPlayed iPad 2 games look better than PS3 and X360 is just crazy.

I'll post one more image. This time GT4/Real Racing 2/GT5. I'll let people make up their own minds.

post #115 of 117
Quote:

Abject nonsense is pretending these devices don't offer the same or better functionality at the same pricepoint simply to push your own agenda, whatever nonsensical agenda that is.

Mind telling me where I can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $99? You can't even get a Wii for $99.

Also (subjective), the functionality isn't better when the means by which to interact is worse.

Quote:

Or clearly you just don't get it. Apple TV offers nothing the xbox or ps3 hasn't already offered for years and years

Sure it doesn't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #116 of 117
Quote:

I realise that, I think people on this site think their solution is the best for everyone, where it won't be in most circumstances. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase two ATV2s for my TVs at $170 each, I already have a PS3 on both that work just as well (and $170 will purchase a lot of power which cancels the power argument). Plus the PS3 will handle all the blu-ray audio formats, supports 3D, handles all my DVD rips, and my iTunes music library as well

I completely agree. You've stated the point I was struggling to make in a round about and rhetorical fashion. The solution set I have may not match someone else's but neither is wrong. It's about fit.

PEACE!
post #117 of 117
Quote:

Mind telling me where I can get an Xbox 360 or PS3 for $99? You can't even get a Wii for $99.

The point isn't necessarly that you can't get those devices for a set price point, the point can be, if you already own them, you don't necessarly get any benefit from purchasing a new item
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV to take 32% of "Connected TV Player" market this year