Originally Posted by irnchriz
1. PS3 makes a noise. Apple TV2 is silent. Sorry, the PS3 uses a fucktonne of energy. The A4 in the Apple TV2 uses little. PS3 slim uses between 75 and 95 watts, ATV uses 16-19 watts. ATV2 uses 6 watts max.
3. Apple TV2 is tiny
4. They play with only stereo audio on ps3
5. The article is reference to the Apple TV2 seeing as they no longer make the first. It's only $99 for a new more efficient environmentally friendly ATV2
For a video playback device a console is overkill, on size, noise and power consumption. Its for this reason I got Apple TV2's for the kids rooms, rather than using their consoles. Now we have 3 ATV2 in total.
1. Yes, the PS3 makes a noise, it has a fan in it, but it doesn't make a lot of noise. My first gen Mac Mini makes a lot more noise than with of my PS3's (fat), the the thin makes hardly any.
2. The AppleTV has a limited function set, the original is a energy whore considering what it does. Also, my PS3s have a switch on the back of them, I switch them off when not using them, doesn't use any energy then.
3. Yeah? All is just a media player, there is no reason for them to be large, the PS3 does a lot more, it has an optical drive in it, and a hard drive.
4. Hmm, since you are massively wrong here, why should I believe you on anything else? All the DVD's I convert play in DD 5.1 on my PS3? Maybe you should use Handbrake and use the correct settings?
5. Yet everyone here references the original PS3 fat, the model they don't make anymore. Why should I purchase ATV2, they cost $170, and it will be another product Apple will dump and stop providing updates for.
My kids don't have TVs in their bedrooms, and the units only use energy when they are on. Why do you leave them on so much? Or do you dump your kids in front of the TV constantly? And I can purchase a lot of power for $170, can't see the benefit in spending money when it will take years (and Apple would have dumped it by then) to get any cost benefit from it.