or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 1 in 45 Children Are Lazy.

1 in 45 Children Are Lazy.

post #1 of 24
Republican's and Ron Paulites now have numbers to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that at least 1 in 45 children are lazy-

"One in 45 children in the USA — 1.6 million children — were living on the street, in homeless shelters or motels, or doubled up with other families last year, according to the National Center on Family Homelessness."

~ http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ase/51851146/1
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 24
"This is an absurdly high number," says Ellen Bassuk, president of the center. "What we have new in 2010 is the effects of a man-made disaster caused by the economic recession. … We are seeing extreme budget cuts, foreclosures and a lack of affordable housing."

That's what people get when they voted for hope and change.
post #3 of 24
0/10

the obvious troll is obvious

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Republican's and Ron Paulites now have numbers to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that at least 1 in 45 children are lazy-

"One in 45 children in the USA 1.6 million children were living on the street, in homeless shelters or motels, or doubled up with other families last year, according to the National Center on Family Homelessness."

Did you look at the report at all? It doesn't have data on homelessness. They use proxies.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

0/10

the obvious troll is obvious

^ Like
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #6 of 24
Quote:

"One in 45 children in the USA 1.6 million children were living on the street, in homeless shelters or motels, or doubled up with other families last year, according to the National Center on Family Homelessness."

The lack of compassion in the first several responses is telling. Funny...3 of them are Jesus people (well, one may not be technically a christian...that's for another thread battle royale between Frank & Jazzy to decide). Talk about your hypocrisy.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The lack of compassion in the first several responses is telling. Funny...3 of them are Jesus people (well, one may not be technically a christian...that's for another thread battle royale between Frank & Jazzy to decide). Talk about your hypocrisy.

Would you feel better if an agnostic/athiest chimed in?

I'll go on record (having read the article and "report") saying that their statistics are a bunch of crap.
I'll also state my opinion that a large amount of homelessness can be traced to bad decisions made earlier in a person's life (or, in the case of children, decisions by their parents.)

If the "government" had not made the same bad decisions, there would be plenty of money to help these people out... but there ISN'T... the government CANNOT AFFORD to help these people... and if private charitable organizations aren't helping them, then they're just gonna have to "man-up" and help themselves. (Yes, it CAN be done!)

... now, BR, you can rest easy knowing that a fellow atheist see's a majority of homelessness as being essentially lazy ... not all... but I'd say most.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #8 of 24
Quote:

Why should someone have compassion for a proxy?

I've decided that really pissed off and angry leftists are a proxy for homeless men who are sexually incontinent.

Let me know where I can send the diapers to show my compassion.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

A godless person who is most certainly going to end up in hell also chimed in with post #2.
post #10 of 24
Quote:

I'll go on record (having read the article and "report") saying that their statistics are a bunch of crap.
I'll also state my opinion that a large amount of homelessness can be traced to bad decisions made earlier in a person's life (or, in the case of children, decisions by their parents.)

If the "government" had not made the same bad decisions, there would be plenty of money to help these people out... but there ISN'T... the government CANNOT AFFORD to help these people... and if private charitable organizations aren't helping them, then they're just gonna have to "man-up" and help themselves. (Yes, it CAN be done!)

... now, BR, you can rest easy knowing that a fellow atheist see's a majority of homelessness as being essentially lazy ... not all... but I'd say most.

Would you be OK with redirecting oil and corn subsidies to helping the homeless?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #11 of 24
Quote:

Would you be OK with redirecting oil and corn subsidies to helping the homeless?

You didn't even read him. Their statistics are CRAP because they didn't measure homelessness. Instead they used income as a proxy. They decided if you are poor, you must be homeless.

post #12 of 24
Quote:

Yep, it's chilling how well trained to ignore, slander and abuse the poor the right are.

Here's a good read on their ugliness-

"Newt Gingrichs recent utterances about poor childrenthey have no habits of working and have nobody around them who worksreflect not only the inability of conservatives to talk seriously about poverty, but a mean-spiritedness that, unfortunately, largely eludes public scrutiny.

Gingrichs distorted characterization of poor peoplea crowd pleaser on the campaign trailis a caricature deeply embedded in the conservative psyche. According to this narrative, an out-of-control black culture is implicated in the devaluing of the work ethic and loss of moral values. In this worldview, black moral decay not disappearing work, low wages, or poorly funded schoolscauses urban poverty, joblessness and social pathology.

The rights intellectually and morally bankrupt worldviewunderpinned by the customary bromides about tax cuts, deficit reduction and small government is why there has been no serious proposal by the GOP to address poverty and revive the American middle class. Conservatives are prisoners to a set of ideas whose only purpose is to serve capital. Addressing poverty would require conservatives to break with those ideas."
~ http://inthesetimes.com/article/1240...nt_fix_poverty
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You didn't even read him. Their statistics are CRAP because they didn't measure homelessness. Instead they used income as a proxy. They decided if you are poor, you must be homeless.

There's obviously no way to actually count each individual or to measure how long their circumstances persist, so from the data and trends pictures are drawn to as accurately as possible estimate the numbers.
post #14 of 24
Quote:

I take direct advantage of both of those subsidies.

I would be perfectly fine (actually, I DESIRE) for the government to stop subsidizing them. But I DON'T think the money should be diverted to Social Programs ... It should be used to pay off debt.
If the nation had no debt obligations to service, there would be more than enough wealth to spread around to your heart's content! (Perhaps even without pissing off the people who actually GENERATE that wealth!)
post #15 of 24
Quote:

I take direct advantage of both of those subsidies.

I would be perfectly fine (actually, I DESIRE) for the government to stop subsidizing them. But I DON'T think the money should be diverted to Social Programs ... It should be used to pay off debt.
If the nation had no debt obligations to service, there would be more than enough wealth to spread around to your heart's content! (Perhaps even without pissing off the people who actually GENERATE that wealth!)

So, the government stops subsidizing low wage earners and business will up the wages, so the poor can still commute to work, clothe themselves, eat and have a roof over their heads. Not likely.

How many of the veterans homeless programs would you slash?
post #16 of 24
Quote:

There's obviously no way to actually count each individual or to measure how long their circumstances persist, so from the data and trends pictures are drawn to as accurately as possible estimate the numbers.

You can sample and then attempt to generalize to the entire population. This would be the same as what is done with polling for a political candidate. Can they really count every voter for a poll? Of course not so they sample a representative number.

You could ask 2,000 people about their housing, their children and their living conditions, give a margin of error and report the findings. This report, you can't call it a study, did nothing like that. I also take issue with doubling up being declared the same as being homeless. A kid sharing a twin bed with their cousin isn't the same as sleeping on a park bench.

Finally this is from your own link.

Quote:
The report paints a bleaker picture than one by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which nonetheless reported a 28% increase in homeless families, from 131,000 in 2007 to 168,000 in 2010.

Dennis Culhane, a University of Pennsylvania professor of social policy, says HUD's numbers are much smaller because they count only families living on the street or in emergency shelters.

This is hilarious... their numbers are much smaller because......well because they count the actual homeless as opposed to using made up proxies to give them imaginary estimates of homeless.

Dude, this has got to be a joke.

post #17 of 24
Quote:

The GOP continues to make up lies about these absurdities regarding children that are lazy.It is really sad about the homeless rate in a rich and prosperous country like the U.S. to see these numbers.Ron Paul is a back stabber and a phony to boot.
post #18 of 24
Quote:

How many of the veterans homeless programs would you slash?

All. Until we can afford them once again.
post #19 of 24
Quote:

All. Until we can afford them once again.

Wouldn't it always be just helping the lazy?
post #20 of 24
Quote:

When one (or a state/government) has a surplus of funds, it's much easier to be generous with said funds. When "they" spend money they don't have to begin with to fund these programs, it only serves to further hurt the citizens that actually PAY taxes ... and the situation "snowballs" on itself.
Have you not been paying attention for the last decade ???
post #21 of 24
Quote:

When one (or a state/government) has a surplus of funds, it's much easier to be generous with said funds. When "they" spend money they don't have to begin with to fund these programs, it only serves to further hurt the citizens that actually PAY taxes ... and the situation "snowballs" on itself.
Have you not been paying attention for the last decade ???

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray Rothbard

post #22 of 24
Quote:

Wouldn't it be nice to have accurate info rather than just people making up nonsense?

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray Rothbard

Was that meant as a joke?

There are people who are either extremely stupid or just plain ugly. Where do you want the homeless to live? In cardboard boxes?

Thank God most of you lot are just in the States.

Here in Scotland where the 400 have disproportionately much less wealth, we're planning on providing EVERYBODY WITH A FUCKING ACTUAL HOUSE. thank jesus we're not ass backward dicks who are vermin.
post #24 of 24
Quote:

Where do you want the homeless to live? In cardboard boxes?

I would love for the homeless to be clothed, sheltered, and fed. And I would love for the government to let me keep more of my own money so I can help more in that regard, because instead of actually helping people they're spending my money on illegal wars, putting people in cages for victimless crimes, and bailing out big banks and corporations.

The rest of your post is just vile rhetoric which need not be addressed.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › 1 in 45 Children Are Lazy.