or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Journalistic Integrity

Journalistic Integrity

post #1 of 100
Can't find any here.

Let's see how many people either attempt to defend Fox or point out the wrongdoing of other networks while refusing to condemn what is clearly an attempt to manipulate the public.

Running Tally...
Condemnations of Fox: 1
Condemnations of BLS: 2
"But, but, THEY DO IT TOO!": 3
Don't know and don't care what trumpet says: 6

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 100
Big deal. Manipulating graphics to give a misleading impression is the LEAST of the lies, deceit and propaganda spewed out by the US corporate media.

But the original figures are also a pile of horse dung... The "Bureau of Labor Statistics" is always moving the goalposts and massaging the numbers to present a rosier picture than reality, by not taking the millions of seasonal, part time, or temporary etc. etc. workers into the correct perspective.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #3 of 100
Yep. The numbers are "right" the angle is wrong. Congratulations. Come talk when the numbers are really right and the true unemployment is reported. Then we can talk about integrity. Journalistic or otherwise.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #4 of 100
I'm sure the intern that screwed up the graphic is part of a vast right wing conspiracy.
post #5 of 100
Journalistic Integrity Indeed.

Quote:
MSNBC daytime anchor Thomas Roberts seizes on Mitt Romney's use of the phrase "Keep America America." The network claims the phrase plays homage to the Ku Klux Klan slogan of "Keep America American." According to left-leaning news outlets, the "Keep America American" expression was apparently used by the KKK in the early 1900s.

Somehow the folks at MSNBC believe Mitt Romney is acknowledging his Klan roots by using a similar phrase in his 2012 campaign for the presidency.

UPDATE: On tonight's edition of MSNBC's "Hardball," host Chris Matthews apologized for the "irresponsible" and "incendiary" attack on Mitt Romney.

Something tells me I'd rather have the line graph with the mistake in it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #6 of 100
We apologize to the Romney campaign.

Journalistic integrity.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #7 of 100
Hey, they fucking apologized. Has Fox apologized for the chart or any of the other bullshit lies they've told? Anyway, here's the running tally from the first post now:

Condemnations of Fox: 0
"But, but, THEY DO IT TOO!": 2

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #8 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Hey, they fucking apologized. Has Fox apologized for the chart or any of the other bullshit lies they've told? Anyway, here's the running tally from the first post now:

Condemnations of Fox: 0
"But, but, THEY DO IT TOO!": 2

The chart has a mistake. It still even has the right number. How is that a bullshit lie and how is it anything like declaring you are associated with the KKK?

That isn't a they do it too. It isn't even in the same camp. Let's use a little analogy to help you.

FOX NEWS: Here's your order and that will be $5.78.
BR: Here's $10.00
FOX NEWS: Here's your change of $3.12
BR: You shorted me a dime. YOU FUCKING LIAR!!!!!!

Here's my little example.

MSNBC: Today we learned that Mitt Romney sleeps on white sheet and also that the KKK uses white sheets to make their outfits. THUS MITT ROMNEY IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE KKK.
Rest of the World: What the hell are you talking about with your crazy logical leaps.
Chris Matthews: Sorry, we kind of jumped the gun back there. We weren't planning to associate Romney with the KKK until right after Super Tuesday. We apologize for that.

Since when is a bad graph an "appalling lack of judgement" like MSNBC showed?

How about this one?

post #9 of 100
Comparing Fox to MSNBC is a stretch to begin with. Fox is a conservative network, no doubt. But they are far more fair to the left than MSNBC is to the right.
post #10 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Comparing Fox to MSNBC is a stretch to begin with. Fox is a conservative network, no doubt. But they are far more fair to the left than MSNBC is to the right.

Well, I mean, really, what nonsense.

Where is MSNBC's equivalent of this?

http://nation.foxnews.com/
post #11 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Well, I mean, really, what nonsense.

Where is MSNBC's equivalent of this?

http://nation.foxnews.com/

You're kidding me...really.
post #12 of 100
Quote:

You're kidding me...really.

Replace "kidding" with "trolling" and yes, he is.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #13 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Good point.
post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Where is MSNBC's equivalent of that? I'm serious.

That is a right wing campaigning aggregator. MSNBC does not have an equivalent site.

Your predictable non-answers are noted, though.
post #15 of 100
Quote:

Where is MSNBC's equivalent of that? I'm serious.

That is a right wing campaigning aggregator. MSNBC does not have an equivalent site.

Your predictable non-answers are noted, though.

Yes, it's called msnbc.msn.com
post #16 of 100
Quote:

Good point.

Is this the point you send me bullying and abusive PMs telling me to shut the fuck up?

I don't think you get to whine about trolling. What you mean is 'I disagree with you, be quiet', and no, of course I won't.
post #17 of 100
Quote:

Yes, it's called msnbc.msn.com

If you can't see the difference, I guess I can't help you.
post #18 of 100
MSNBC lying and deliberately editing news footage to make a black guy appear to be a white guy at a Tea Party Rally, and then ranting about white people with guns strapped to their waist.

MSNBC = evil liars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoikNVzesGc
post #19 of 100
Quote:

If you can't see the difference, I guess I can't help you.

Sense of humor. Get one.
post #20 of 100
Quote:

Sense of humor. Get one.

He has one. You didn't get the joke. It was the irony in him suggesting he could help someone.

post #21 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

He has one. You didn't get the joke. It was the irony in him suggesting he could help someone.

My mistake.
post #22 of 100

I'm sure this is just an innocent mistake, too.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #23 of 100
Quote:

Yes, I'm sure it is. What evidence do you have that it's not?
post #24 of 100
So you just believe Fox News is incompetent and doesn't have an agenda, huh?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #25 of 100
Quote:

So you just believe Fox News is incompetent and doesn't have an agenda, huh?

What good is writing "Paul surges into second" if you're biased against him?
post #26 of 100
Well, if he's actually in first, it still does him a disservice. "Surges into second" and "Now is the front-runner" are pretty different.

Fuck, I don't even like Ron Paul but that doesn't stop me from seeing how badly he's been mistreated by the Fox Echo Chamber.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #27 of 100
Quote:

Can you find something that doesn't amount to a typo?

You know like this example where the host declares Paul Ryan to be a sociopath.

Quote:
I am of the opinion that Paul Ryan is actually a sociopath, and I use that word very, very, very carefully. And sociopaths are people who are typically, you know – Smart sociopaths can be incredibly charming. Ted Bundy, who was a sociopath and a serial killer, his sociopathy came out as a murderer. Most sociopaths don't. Sociopaths are overrepresented, about five to one from the normal population, for example, as CEOs of corporations, and that's the kind of sociopath that I see Paul Ryan as.

We could look at this example where the host hears the word Bush and starts attacking his guest and then blames it on the satellite feed.

Quote:
MICHELE BACHMANN: When I came into Congress in January of 2007, the country was $8.67 trillion in debt; today it's $15 trillion. Next year it'll be $17 trillion. We're acting like Greece and like Italy, and that's what people are frustrated with. They want us to act like a first world nation, not like what President Barack Obama's doing. He's acting like we're a banana republic. We've got to get our act together and stop spending money that we don't have.

DAVID GREGORY: You're not – I mean, you're seriously calling the United States acting like a banana republic compared to the sort of debt issues that, that the Eurozone countries have had?

BACHMANN: What, what I'm doing is I'm – what I'm doing is saying that what – the decisions that Barack Obama is making is acting like a banana republic. It's absolutely irresponsible what President Obama is doing to get behind measures to, to increase spending to such a level that we're going into debt $1.5 trillion every year. This compares to President George Bush. Back in 2007, our debt for the entire year was $160 billion.

GREGORY: Congresswoman, that just misstates the record.

BACHMANN: Well, we topped that just in the month of November alone.

GREGORY: I mean, the Bush presidency, the-

BACHMANN: There's no comparison. We're talking-

GREGORY: -the, the debt – wait a minute, Congresswoman.

BACHMANN: David, let me just finish.

GREGORY: No, wait a minute. I just want to stop you for accuracy.

BACHMANN: Let me just finish. We're talking-

GREGORY: For accuracy, Congresswoman.

BACHMANN: -we're talking 10 times.

GREGORY: For accuracy, the debt exploded under the Bush administration.

BACHMANN: For accuracy. For accuracy. David, David, then, then let me finish. Do a comparison. I agree with you that there was too much money that was spent under George Bush. But for the year 2007, the debt for the year was $160 billion. The debt for this last year was about $1 1/2 trillion. That's almost 10 times more in debt than George Bush. And just for the month of – for the month of, I think it's November of this year, it was more than the entire year for 2007. So there's no question that the debt has just skyrocketed under, under President Obama in comparison to George Bush.

GREGORY: Let me just point out, I don't want to appear to be cutting you off. Sometimes the satellite delay can exacerbate that, so I wanted to make sure you could finish your point.

You could have some nice consensus building talking head example where the hosts take something that polling has shown doesn't have any sort of broad agreement and make it sound like the next big thing.

In this poll from the Washington Post, even DEMOCRATS name big government as more of a concern than big business.

So the polls say Big Government is the problem but you've got talking heads MAKING the news instead of REPORTING the news and in making it, they spin the Democratic Election Talking Points, aka this is going to be class warfare because this is a class problem.

Quote:
But, again, it didn't have the kind of electricity that you would expect from that kind of a movement. Certainly, they've landed on something that I think resonates with a lot of people, and that's the one percent versus 99 percent. Most people, the overwhelming majority obviously, are in the 99 percent. And there is that great concern about income inequality in this country. In the course of the last three weeks, I've been all over America, 19 cities altogether. And I've had a lot of high-income people come to me and say we really do have to do something about income inequality because that could trigger a class war in this country. And the consequences are not very pretty to contemplate.

The polls show the economy and government spending as the top two issues. Gallup shows big government is the MAJORITY concern and instead these biased asshats are pushing their agenda as the news.

Go take your TIVO and go find another typo if you want. It's clear that when someone ignores the concerns of 64% of the people to try to spin 26% into 99%, that isn't integrity. It is straight up pushing an Obama talking point.

post #28 of 100
Has Fox News ever made a 'blunder' that favored a Democrat or Ron Paul, or made a Republican look bad? If not, it's pretty clear that it's not just random incompetence.
post #29 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Has Fox News ever made a 'blunder' that favored a Democrat or Ron Paul, or made a Republican look bad? If not, it's pretty clear that it's not just random incompetence.

Funny, because I was flipping through channels this morning, and what did I see? Fox News with the headline "Paul in first" or something to that effect...with him at 23%.

As for making people look bad, I don't see the connection. "Paul surges into second" when it clearly shows him in first at 23% hardly makes him look bad. Doing something like that deliberately also makes no sense. I doubt that most people would agree a mistake liked that is "incompetent," either.
post #30 of 100
Quote:

Funny, because I was flipping through channels this morning, and what did I see? Fox News with the headline "Paul in first" or something to that effect...with him at 23%.

As for making people look bad, I don't see the connection. "Paul surges into second" when it clearly shows him in first at 23% hardly makes him look bad. Doing something like that deliberately also makes no sense. I doubt that most people would agree a mistake liked that is "incompetent," either.

You missed the point and also failed to counter my assertion.
post #31 of 100
Quote:

Oh, do explain.
post #32 of 100
Quote:

Oh, do explain.

Did you demonstrate Fox making a blunder that favors someone the "established right" wouldn't want to favor? Showing Fox correcting their "mistake" about Paul means absolutely nothing. Show me where they switched an "R" for a "D" when a Democrat was involved in a scandal. Show me where they "accidentally" said Paul was in first place when he was actually not. Then you would be addressing my point and showing where the idea that Fox is deliberately making these "mistakes" is silly. By not doing so, you're not addressing my point.
post #33 of 100
Quote:

No but this is terrible argumentation. Something isn't true in the absence of evidence. You say did they make a mistake, if not then it proves X with absolutely no proof.

Quote:

You had no proven assertion. If someone said prove there's no God and in the absence of doing that there is God, you'd lose your mind proclaiming what an idiot they must be.

If you want to assert something about FoxNews, then prove it. I've provided multiple examples in this thread and entire threads filled with media bias from the liberal media complex. I've cited entire studies in those threads as well. It doesn't become prove a negative or else you are right in a vacuum.

Quote:

Did you demonstrate Fox making a blunder that favors someone the "established right" wouldn't want to favor? Showing Fox correcting their "mistake" about Paul means absolutely nothing. Show me where they switched an "R" for a "D" when a Democrat was involved in a scandal. Show me where they "accidentally" said Paul was in first place when he was actually not. Then you would be addressing my point and showing where the idea that Fox is deliberately making these "mistakes" is silly. By not doing so, you're not addressing my point.

This reasoning is ass backwards. Typos are not bias. They've also got to be the least effective form of bias in history. How does a typo alter anything?

If the liberal media got together with Obama and they discussed his campaign and the messaging of it, would that be bias?

That is what has happened.

Quote:
An all-star list of progressive and liberal media folks came to the White House today to chat with President Obama over coffee in the Roosevelt Room.

The group chatted with the president about economic messaging, his agenda for 2012, the various campaign arguments against different GOP candidates, the desire among some Democrats for him to highlight his foreign policy accomplishments, fighting corporate influence and the crappiness of the Senate filibuster , as one attendee put it.

Those there included the Washington Posts Ezra Klein and Greg Sargent, MSNBC anchors Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, and Chris Hayes, the Nations editor and publisher Katrina vanden Heuvel, the New York Times Frank Bruni, and stars of the interwebs Arianna Huffington, Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo, Faiz Shakir of ThinkProgress and Joy Reid of The Reid Report.

That's called a meeting to tell your surrogates what they need to do to be a multi-hour per day commercial for your administration.

post #34 of 100
Quote:

Did you demonstrate Fox making a blunder that favors someone the "established right" wouldn't want to favor?

I have no idea if that's happened. That doesn't mean it was any more than coincidence.

Quote:
Showing Fox correcting their "mistake" about Paul means absolutely nothing.

Sure it does. If you're going to be biased against him, might as well be consistent. It shows it was clearly a mistake. For Christ's sake, the head line started with "Paul surges.." You have to be kidding me.

Quote:

Show me where they switched an "R" for a "D" when a Democrat was involved in a scandal.

Right, because MSNBC and CNN have never done that, either. It's a pattern of abuse, I tell you!

Quote:

Show me where they "accidentally" said Paul was in first place when he was actually not.

Why would that matter?

Quote:
Then you would be addressing my point and showing where the idea that Fox is deliberately making these "mistakes" is silly. By not doing so, you're not addressing my point.

So your entire point is that Fox is in the tank for the Republican establishment because they had a headline that said "Paul surges into second" and showed his percentage as actually being in first. You then say that if I don't produce evidence showing they've made similar mistakes for non-establishment candidates, your assertion is proven.

Jesus, I hope you realize how asinine that sounds.
post #35 of 100
Some nice examples of journalistic integrity here.

Disagree with Obama, it is probably hate speech.

Quote:
I mean, I just, I hate this generic talk and it really is a form of hate speech is what it is. Christie is trying to develop the narrative that this president is incompetent and hasn't gotten anything done.

When discussing the past actions and how to contrast them, well I think this is rather interesting.

I look forward to the Barbara Walters interview where she softballs the Republican candidate about the aspect of their life they had all together while Obama was snorting coke. Wait, what, you think that won't happen?

I don't think it will either. It's called no integrity and lots of bias.

post #36 of 100
Quote:

Some nice examples of journalistic integrity here.

Disagree with Obama, it is probably hate speech.

When discussing the past actions and how to contrast them, well I think this is rather interesting.

I look forward to the Barbara Walters interview where she softballs the Republican candidate about the aspect of their life they had all together while Obama was snorting coke. Wait, what, you think that won't happen?

I don't think it will either. It's called no integrity and lots of bias.

The best part of that story is this quote from Schultz:

Quote:
You know, look, I'm not happy with everything. But he's definitely my guy compared to anybody else. And I don't mean that to be a backhanded compliment. The fact of the matter is is that I think he's the best available person to be president of the United States, OK?

I can understand saying you'd rather have Obama than candidate x, y or z. But...really? He's the best person...period? Delusional.
post #37 of 100
Quote:

I have no idea if that's happened. That doesn't mean it was any more than coincidence.

Sure it does. If you're going to be biased against him, might as well be consistent. It shows it was clearly a mistake. For Christ's sake, the head line started with "Paul surges.." You have to be kidding me.

Right, because MSNBC and CNN have never done that, either. It's a pattern of abuse, I tell you!

Why would that matter?

So your entire point is that Fox is in the tank for the Republican establishment because they had a headline that said "Paul surges into second" and showed his percentage as actually being in first. You then say that if I don't produce evidence showing they've made similar mistakes for non-establishment candidates, your assertion is proven.

Jesus, I hope you realize how asinine that sounds.

It's not asinine at all. Fox continuously makes "mistakes" that subconsciously push their agenda. They do not make similar 'mistakes' that go against their agenda. To dismiss their very clear record on this is what's asinine.
post #38 of 100
Quote:

It's not asinine at all. Fox continuously makes "mistakes" that subconsciously push their agenda. They do not make similar 'mistakes' that go against their agenda. To dismiss their very clear record on this is what's asinine.

Got any proof of this contention?

I mean seriously tonton, how do you explain or excuse actions like this one?
They actually refuse to show the Tuesday numbers from Gallup. They elude to them but actually only show and speak about the Monday numbers which as they note, are the best in 5 months. Meanwhile you can see the whole piece is building a narrative and is more like an Obama commercial than new reporting.

That isn't subconscious. It isn't a typo. It is almost continually what we see from the liberal media complex.

Any discussion about how the labor participation rate is dropping and that is why the unemployment rate has fallen? No. Any notation about how this signed legislation is good for another two whole months? No. Any even speculation about what might happen to those poll numbers now that Obama has to request the debt ceiling be raised by another $1.2 trillion dollars? Of course not.

Using old poll numbers and basically making a commercial for him, where's the integrity in that? If you have any integrity you'd stop harping on typos and address that.

post #39 of 100
Quote:

Got any proof of this contention?

Proof? No. But I've got evidence. Here are a couple.

http://intershame.com/on/Fox_News/?d=123
http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...0democrat.html

Now you show me some evidence to the contrary. You are claiming that Fox News' "mistakes" are not biased to either the left or the right; that they are random, honest bloopers.

Show me some mistakes that make Dems or unfavored Repubs look good. The ball is in your court.
post #40 of 100
Oh my God! Fox News would you expect anything else but biased slant in reporting? Right up to and including inaccuracy.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Journalistic Integrity