or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri

Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri - Page 4

post #121 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

That's an interesting perspective; Android has had voice recognition for well over over a year. Yes, Siri is an improvement over what Android offers. And no doubt Google will respond by improving Android.

Let's not try to pretend that Apple introduced voice recognition. In the smartphone realm they're a late player to the game.

Voice Action were a response to Voice Control in the 3GS. Looks like I will just have to keep repeating it.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #122 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Really?! Still getting posters claiming it's just voice control? It's type of shallow, unconnected thinking that made the iPod dominate the PMP market.

Of course it's not "just voice control", which is why the next update of the Google feature is suggested to be much more that that. Is it "Siri-like"? Don't know and really don't even care for the time being. It will be what ever it is. And a few months later it will evolve again, just like Siri will.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #123 of 177
Whatever Google comes up with, it'll be tied to Google Search, which means it'll be different from Siri significantly. It might be better or worse, no idea yet, but let's not argue about whether Google is 'copying' Apple's Siri, Google wouldn't want to copy it, because that'd be working against their mobile search revenue.
post #124 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course it's not "just voice control", which is why the next update of the Google feature is suggested to be much more that that. Is it "Siri-like"? Don't know and really don't even care for the time being. It will be what ever it is. And a few months later it will evolve again, just like Siri will.

And yet you wrote, "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years"

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #125 of 177
Quote:

And yet you wrote, "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years"

So now you don't understand feature progression? Of course you do. I thought I was pretty clear in my post.
post #126 of 177
Quote:

So now you don't understand feature progression? Of course you do. I thought I was pretty clear in my post.

I understand feature progression, but you still fail to understand that Siri is more than voice control otherwise you wouldn't have written what you wrote or tried to backpedal your way out of it.

post #127 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Droid - Star Wars
Majel - Star Trek

Now if they can only work-in a feature named "Gandalf" they will have accomplished the fantasy-nerd trifecta.

I nominate this as "Best Post of 2011."
post #128 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

It is terribly me-too. Google used to innovate.

Google = the new Microsoft.

The whole Android thing is "me-too" IMO.
post #129 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

How is Siri original?

Siri is original by being one of the best voice command systems and by adding a personality and ease of use. Other voice command systems have been available, but they are text to speech/speech to text and can issue simple commands or web searches. Siri integrates with the hardware/operating system and gives it mass appeal.
post #130 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Thats kind of how it works. Competition causes companies to leapfrog each other.

Apple releases voice control
Google responds with voice actions, increasing the functionality from voice control.
Apple responds with Siri, increasing the functionality from voice actions
Google responds with majel, increasing(hopefully) the functionality from Siri
Apple responds with Siri v2.0 and so on and so forth.

So i dont know what point youre trying to make with this.

With respect however, that's not how it's working.

Where's the improved iPad?

Where's the improved compact notebook (MacBook Air class)?

Where's the improvement on SIRI?

(Fair enough, that last question is facetious... we'll await Majel to answer that Question!)

"Majel, are you an improvement over SIRI?"

"Of course I am, I am the original trekker!"
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #131 of 177
Quote:

We also have this rumour tying it only to Google search whereas Apple ties it to very specific services on the internet that cater to specific tasks. On top of that, we have no knowledge of Google tying Mejel to the Android OS for tasks the way iOS 5.0 on the iPhone 4S does. These things are important.

Google finds itself between a Majel and a hard place:

1) if Google tightly integrates Majel into into Android and various cloud/web services (ala Siri) it defeats the raison d'être of Android -- to serve ads to mobile users.

2) If Google doesn't do the above, then it is just another limited-use voice command system -- and Android becomes a less-useful mobile OS.

...To paraphrase Eric: "If you don't know what you want/need to do -- perhaps you shouldn't be doing it!"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #132 of 177
Is there anything Google won't copy and put their brand name on?

Anything?

<crickets>

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #133 of 177
Quote:

I understand feature progression, but you still fail to understand that Siri is more than voice control otherwise you wouldn't have written what you wrote or tried to backpedal your way out of it.

Geesh. . .
It started with voice control. The next upgrade should make it more than that, tho your voice will still be required.

I think sometimes you make believe you don't understand so that you have something to talk about. You're a lot smarter and more capable of understanding what's said vs. the literal words used than you're making yourself out to be.

If memory serves me right I think it was the "old" Solipsism that I had already mentioned the upcoming Google voice features update to several weeks back.
post #134 of 177
Phandroids just don't get it, and recent articles showing what a mess Android apps are kinda proves the point.

It's not what you implement, it's how you implement it.

It's no good coming up with feature lists of things if you don't bother actually using it, and using it comes down to the good old User Interface (latterly called the User Experience). If the UI is rubbish, then it doesn't matter how good the product is, people won't like it. And Google have no idea about UI.

In fact, has anyone been a long term user over Keyhole and Google Earth? Used Google Earth for the first time in a long time, and the interface has actually gone backwards. Instead of controls that Keyhole came up with that were easy, they've changed something. Navigating the 3D aspect of Google Earth is now horrible.

So I worry that not only do Google not understand UI, they are actually going a bit backwards these days in some areas.
post #135 of 177
Quote:

Geesh. . .
It started with voice control. The next upgrade should make it more than that, tho your voice will still be required.

I think sometimes you make believe you don't understand so that you have something to talk about. You're a lot smarter and more capable of understanding what's said vs. the literal words used than you're making yourself out to be.

If memory serves me right I think it was the "old" Solipsism that I had already mentioned the upcoming Google voice features update to several weeks back.

You are being deliberately? obtuse. Voice recognition is only the front end -- it's what they do with the voice after it is translated into text, analyzed for meaning and context... then determining what needs to be done and, finally doing it.

Comparing voice control to what Siri does is analogous to saying "anyone who can type is an author".

post #136 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You are being deliberately? obtuse. Voice recognition is only the front end -- it's what they do with the voice after it is translated into text, analyzed for meaning and context... then determining what needs to be done and, finally doing it.

Comparing voice control to what Siri does is analogous to saying "anyone who can type is a writer".

OMG. . .
Rather than accuse you of being obtuse, I'll repeat: Voice control came before Siri, Google Voice actions etc. Everything that has and will follow started there and is a part of what makes Siri/Voice Actions/Majel or whatever work. Natural voice services build on voice control. Thus saying Google has been working on voice control (which the normal reader understands as voice features but whatever) for years is absolutely true, and the next update will improve and enhance existing voice features is again absolutely true. Baby steps. . .

It'a may be a slow day and looking for some way to find a technical snippet of a post to disagree with must be some members way of filling it.
post #137 of 177
I thought Google claimed that the voice assistant currently in Android was already up to snuff.

Guess not.
post #138 of 177
Quote:

OMG. . .
Rather than accuse you of being obtuse, I'll repeat: Voice control came before Siri, Google Voice actions etc. Everything that has and will follow started there and is a part of what makes Siri/Voice Actions/Majel or whatever work. Natural voice services build on voice control. Thus saying Google has been working on voice control (which the normal reader understands as voice features but whatever) for years is absolutely true, and the next update will improve and enhance existing voice features is again absolutely true. Baby steps. . .

It'a may be a slow day and looking for some way to find a technical snippet of a post to disagree with must be some members way of filling it.

Do you think that Google will implement their mobile voice actions in such a way to avoid presenting search results and ads where possible?

post #139 of 177
Quote:

OMG. . .

Again, you wrote "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years"

You clearly think having voice control is somehow synonymous with what Siri is and does. You don't understand that it's getting multiple parts working together each with a certain level of sophication that makes the ntelligent software assistant useful.

Hell, Apple has had voice control for their Mac Chess game for a decade(?) now, but no one is calling that the same as Siri.

post #140 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I thought Google claimed that the voice assistant currently in Android was already up to snuff.

Guess not.

That's was an MS exec Craig Mundie who said they had a Siri-like tech for more than a year with WP7's TellMe.

post #141 of 177
Quote:

Again, you wrote "I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Google's been working on voice control for several years"

You clearly think having voice control is somehow synonymous with what Siri is and does. You don't understand that it's getting multiple parts working together each with a certain level of sophication that makes the ntelligent software assistant useful.

Hell, Apple has had voice control for their Mac Chess game for a decade(?) now, but no one is calling that the same as Siri.

The "big deal" I referred to was Google offering Majel and some here claiming it was only to copy Apple. It wasn't that Siri or a similar service was no big deal. Is that where your misunderstanding originated?

To Dick Applebaum: I don't know. Until a little earlier I hadn't considered that Google might have a quandary to deal with concerning how far to take voice features. The short answer is I haven't thought that thru fully, but then again that's Google's issue to deal with and I doubt they care what I think. They may end up offering something none us us have even considered yet, or nothing at all in the spring. This is all rumor at this point.
post #142 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by shao View Post

another day, another troll post from the tards at AI

remember, apple didn't actually develop Siri, they paid a lot of money for it to bump up what they knew would be an otherwise poor upgrade to their already flagging iphone line. Yet another case of, if they can't innovate, or steal an idea, buy it in wholesale.

Yup, tried and tested. Remember Google buying Keyhole for instance and all the praise they get for originality of Google Earth and Google Maps?

Apple aren't alone in acquiring partners and then developing them in house and taking credit for it.
post #143 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

A) this is a rumor

B) this is just an evolution of voice actions, something which already exists on Android and has for a while

C) Apple didn't invent Siri

D) Apple has no monopoly on voice action, voice control, etc etc etc.

True, but so what? Google has nothing as cool as Siri, today. As the Android folks always say - wait 'till the next version of Android - then you'll see how awesome Android is.

Apple actually shipped usable speech recognition and text to speech before Google was even a company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlainTalk

And highly customizable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakable_items

All this stuff was advanced for the time, but eventually it was turned into VoiceOver for the Mac and iOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoiceOver

Siri was just the next step to making things work naturally, and Apple probably could save a few hundred million by buying Siri instead of researching and getting sued to make Siri completely in house.
post #144 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Google Voice Actions came out in Froyo, in August 2010. Apple added Siri in August 2011, buying a voice recognition app from a smaller developer in order to quickly catch up. Android's voice recognition feature was a full year earlier. All this article is about is Google renaming GVA to something more catchy in order to better compete with Apple's marketing machine. Apple certainly didn't invent the idea, and they weren't first to introduce it in a smartphone OS either.

Um. Development of Siri started in 2007.
post #145 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

True, but so what? Google has nothing as cool as Siri, today. As the Android folks always say - wait 'till the next version of Android - then you'll see how awesome Android is.

Apple actually shipped usable speech recognition and text to speech before Google was even a company. . .

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to forget that Google is still a really young company, founded just 13 years ago. Facebook is even younger, just 8 yrs since inception. Amazon at 17 years old is almost ancient. Compare to Apple's 35 years. Put in that perspective it's amazing Google, Facebook and even Amazon has done what they have so far.
post #146 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Um. Development of Siri started in 2007.

. . . and Grand Central, one of the underpinnings to Google Voice Actions, was founded in 2005. Neither founding date matters all that much in their success or failure.
post #147 of 177
Quote:

To Dick Applebaum: I don't know. Until a little earlier I hadn't considered that Google might have a quandary to deal with concerning how far to take voice features. The short answer is I haven't thought that thru fully, but then again that's Google's issue to deal with and I doubt they care what I think. They may end up offering something none us us have even considered yet, or nothing at all in the spring. This is all rumor at this point.

I have thought about it...

I think that as the next step, Google will:
-- improve their voice search, but still return search results and ads
-- integrate voice more deeply into Android

But it will not match what Siri does today.

Then, sometime early next year, Apple will:
-- add a single feature to Siri that changes everything
-- make Siri available on any Apple hardware capable of running it
-- allow Siri to run locally on the device where possible
-- add access to additional web/cloud services
-- integrate Siri into virtually all iOS Apple apps
-- provide a roadmap (APIs/SDK) for developers to utilize Siri in their apps (both iOS and OS X)

Likely, these won't happen the above order, or all at once... But they will happen!

At that point, Google (and MS) will have no choice but to follow suit -- even if it means disintermediating their search/ad revenue.

post #148 of 177
heh ...

that video comparing Siri to Windows Tellme was hilarious ...
post #149 of 177
Since we are talking about speech...

I should also remind people that if you use the Zarvox voice in System Preferences - Speech as the default, and have it say "Droooid", it sounds like the Motorola droid commercial.

In Safari. Highlight "Droooid" and then Edit > Speech > Start Talking.
post #150 of 177
...that Eric Schmidt stood/sat in front of a congressional committee and cited Siri is directly impacting web search (Google's primary revenue stream). So they HAVE to counter Siri with "Majel" to protect the ad revenue which supports every other project (like Android) they currently have running. And they will HAVE to be very careful to build out additional backend controls and services to be able to add in things comparable to Wolfram Alpha (if they cannot get partnership with them AND include ad deliverables).

Siri in one fell swoop dismembered traditional web searching by using targeted sources for responses, only going to standard search once those avenues are exhausted. You can bet that "Majel" will drive some additional changes in Google search engine technologies as well to bring "Majel" up to par with Siri services.

It will be interesting to see if Apple increments out improvements to Siri in small steps, or develops significant major updates which significantly widen and deepen Siri service availability and integration, especially as augmented reality is built out on mobile devices.

The way to look at how all the interface parts fit togther is to stop and think about how you interact with another human being. If you need to get someone's attention, there are contextual and relational selections you can make. For example, walking up to and tapping someone on their shoulder, versus yelling their name in a crowd. Or asking a question of someone next to you while talking on the phone. All of these nuances are part of building out better interfacing and interaction with mobile devices and computers. Voice interaction doesn't replace touch, it augments it. Touch doesn't consistently replace keyboard/pointing device controls, it augments it. Together they make for powerful controls of our mobile and stationary computing devices.

If Google isn't thinking about the entire picture (which is the way it seems at times), they will continue to produce fragmented features. Apple because of Jobs' influence is constantly looking at the user interface challenge and building to that highly integrated vision where all interface options can work together harmoniously to assist the user in using the device. The ultimate ideal is to simply have the device as a logical and seamless extension of the user.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #151 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

Yeah. It would earn points with the Star Trek nerds who are probably all Android users....

I'm pretty sure that any one who is into Star Trek (as opposed to that abomination known as "Star Wars"), would be into iOS and not Android. Especially lovers of the original series. The whole aesthetic is Apple leaning.
post #152 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

...that Eric Schmidt stood/sat in front of a congressional committee and cited Siri is directly impacting web search (Google's primary revenue stream). So they HAVE to counter Siri with "Majel" to protect the ad revenue which supports every other project (like Android) they currently have running. And they will HAVE to be very careful to build out additional backend controls and services to be able to add in things comparable to Wolfram Alpha (if they cannot get partnership with them AND include ad deliverables).

Siri in one fell swoop dismembered traditional web searching by using targeted sources for responses, only going to standard search once those avenues are exhausted. You can bet that "Majel" will drive some additional changes in Google search engine technologies as well to bring "Majel" up to par with Siri services.

It will be interesting to see if Apple increments out improvements to Siri in small steps, or develops significant major updates which significantly widen and deepen Siri service availability and integration, especially as augmented reality is built out on mobile devices.

The way to look at how all the interface parts fit togther is to stop and think about how you interact with another human being. If you need to get someone's attention, there are contextual and relational selections you can make. For example, walking up to and tapping someone on their shoulder, versus yelling their name in a crowd. Or asking a question of someone next to you while talking on the phone. All of these nuances are part of building out better interfacing and interaction with mobile devices and computers. Voice interaction doesn't replace touch, it augments it. Touch doesn't consistently replace keyboard/pointing device controls, it augments it. Together they make for powerful controls of our mobile and stationary computing devices.

If Google isn't thinking about the entire picture (which is the way it seems at times), they will continue to produce fragmented features. Apple because of Jobs' influence is constantly looking at the user interface challenge and building to that highly integrated vision where all interface options can work together harmoniously to assist the user in using the device. The ultimate ideal is to simply have the device as a logical and seamless extension of the user.

Well thought out.
post #153 of 177
all i have to say is.... sales numbers don't lie.

iphone sales are still going strong... was it siri which attributed to the sales...who knows..who cares....the point of the matter is that the sales and demands for the iphone is there.

android on the other hand are not.
post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah, it was CCR...

..."there's a bathroom on the right"

Edit: Oh.... A whole new category... Siri Mondegreens!

I've always been a Hendrix fan...

..."scuze me while I kiss this guy"
post #155 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athyna.sc View Post

all i have to say is.... sales numbers don't lie.

iphone sales are still going strong... was it siri which attributed to the sales...who knows..who cares....the point of the matter is that the sales and demands for the iphone is there.

android on the other hand are not.

So as not to be corrected later on by repeating that, Android smartphone sales are handily exceeding Apple iPhone sales and have been for some number of months. No big deal really, but I didn't want you to be called out on it simply because you weren't aware.
post #156 of 177
Quote:

So as not to be corrected later on by repeating that, Android smartphone sales are handily exceeding Apple iPhone sales and have been for some number of months. No big deal really, but I didn't want you to be called out on it simply because you weren't aware.

You mean all vendors using Android as their smartphone OS are outnumbering Apple's iPhone. Gotcha! And what's your point? If it's regarding a healthy ecosystem then why exclude all other devices that use iOS and Android OS unless you are purposely trying to skew the results for some secret anti-Apple agenda?

post #157 of 177
Quote:

You mean all vendors using Android as their smartphone OS are outnumbering Apple's iPhone. Gotcha! And what's your point? If it's regarding a healthy ecosystem then why exclude all other devices that use iOS and Android OS unless you are purposely trying to skew the results for some secret anti-Apple agenda?

My point was correcting the OP. Is yours trying to make an argument when none existed?
post #158 of 177
Quote:

If it's regarding a healthy ecosystem then why exclude all other devices that use iOS and Android OS unless you are purposely trying to skew the results for some secret anti-Apple agenda?

I think his agenda isn't very secret.
post #159 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

LOL - Try having an original idea.

Seriously!

Nobody ever thought of putting Voice Command on a phone. But now that Apple invented it, everybody else is copying them!
post #160 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If you ask me an honest opinion I will tell you Siri at this point is just a gimmick in a new dress. I think in a few months people will not care to much about it.

It gets good reviews.

I only tried it once. I was in a Verizon Store in a busy shopping district. I wanted to see if SIRI could handle "natural language". So I asked:

Hi there SIRI, can you tell me where there might be a Verizon store around here?

SIRI responded that she didn't have any listings for "Verizon Store".

So I tried: Where is the closest Verizon store to me?

Same resonse.

My experience proves nothing. But I was very surprised.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri