or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri

Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri - Page 5

post #161 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

So how is it any different than voice actions of today, since that can already perform Google search queries?

Just a guess, but I think that they will add natural language capabilities. The hardest part about using a search engine is formulating the correct query. You can get wonderful results or poor results depending on some subtle aspects of what you ask for.

I can imagine an unsophisticated user telling the Google search engine that he is hungry, and having a list of nearby restaurants returned to him. "I need to eat" might produce the same list. If you were to type any of that, the results would not be what the user intended. Parsing language for intent is a big step up.
post #162 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think his agenda isn't very secret.

Nor do I intend it to be. If someone is confused about what is and and what isn't, the least you or any other member in good standing should do is correct them. You don't even need to insult them to do so unbeknownst to some members (not referring to you).

You don't do anyone a favor by letting them repeat something that is unknowingly incorrect.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #163 of 177
Apple has been playing with this idea for YEARS, granted so have others.

But check out the Apple Knowledge Navigator. A fun little video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdS4TscWH8
post #164 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

I think the whole "think up an original idea" line is meant to be "Hey Google, why don't YOU come out with the brand new, killer feature that everyone talks about,

It is not true that everyone talks about SIRI. Pretty much nobody talks about it except a subset of Appple enthusiasts.

SIRI made a splash when Apple presented it as some sort of Killer App. But since then, interest has tumbled sharply.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=siri&...te=2011&sort=0
post #165 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Google Voice Actions came out in Froyo, in August 2010. Apple added Siri in August 2011, buying a voice recognition app from a smaller developer in order to quickly catch up. Android's voice recognition feature was a full year earlier. All this article is about is Google renaming GVA to something more catchy in order to better compete with Apple's marketing machine. Apple certainly didn't invent the idea, and they weren't first to introduce it in a smartphone OS either.

Apple innovates.
Google copies.

Try as you might, you can't escape facts.
post #166 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Exactly... and it was of most use to me in making hands-free calls.

The Voice Recognition in the iPhone did not work as well for me as the similar feature from an old Flip Phone I had years ago. The old phone was one of the best phones, for its time, I have ever had. I would use the voice call feature every time. And it worked. Unlike the 3GS.
post #167 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In June 2009 Apple added Voice Control which could do calling of contracts, a feature I'd say is one of the most important uses of basic voice control.

In June 2007 my flip phone could do calling of contacts using voice commands.

So what?
post #168 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So as not to be corrected later on by repeating that, Android smartphone sales are handily exceeding Apple iPhone sales and have been for some number of months. No big deal really, but I didn't want you to be called out on it simply because you weren't aware.

oh...my bad...maybe u're right the market share is still android > ios..
however as a user AND a developer...all i care is about revenue...and ios's brings it more revenue than android.

...i guess you can continue to correct me if you must but i guess u have to do what you have to do.
post #169 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah, it was CCR...

..."there's a bathroom on the right"

Edit: Oh.... A whole new category... Siri Mondegreens!

"Siri Siri, you've torn your dress
Siri Siri, your face is a mess
Siri Siri, how could they know?
Hot tramp, I love you so!"

Rebel Rebel lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, CHRYSALIS MUSIC GROUP INC
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #170 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athyna.sc View Post

oh...my bad...maybe u're right the market share is still android > ios..
however as a user AND a developer...all i care is about revenue...and ios's brings it more revenue than android.

...i guess you can continue to correct me if you must but i guess u have to do what you have to do.

No I don't HAVE to correct you. Perhaps I mistakenly assumed you'd appreciate it, particularly done politely which can be sometimes rare at AI?
post #171 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"Siri Siri, you've torn your dress
Siri Siri, your face is a mess
Siri Siri, how could they know?
Hot tramp, I love you so!"

Rebel Rebel lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, CHRYSALIS MUSIC GROUP INC

Maybe Bowie is willing to record an update...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #172 of 177
A quick Siri anecdote: I stopped on my way home from work yesterday to grab a few things and had Siri call my wife to see if she needed anything. A woman at the front of the store stopped me after my call ended and asked me about talking to my phone to make the call. I quickly showed her a few of Siri's features and asked it a few questions (Will I need an umbrella today? How many days until Valentine's Day? What day of the week is Christmas on in 2012?) and dictating a text or email. Siri's understanding of natural speech and Siri's answers to questions with a little comedy thrown in had woman completely gobsmacked. She was so impressed she told me she had never considered an iPhone before, but would look into one once her current contract was up.
post #173 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You don't do anyone a favor by letting them repeat something that is knowingly incorrect.

Which is why you are on many ignore lists.
post #174 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Which is why you are on many ignore lists.

I'd consider it a lost learning opportunity. There's only one person on my iggy list because I believe nearly everyone has something worthy to share. Please let me know when I unknowingly (or even if you think it's knowingly) post something incorrect. I promise I won't take offense if done politely. I've never been concerned with being corrected, nor upset that I just learned something I wasn't aware of even if it's an "inconvenient truth".
post #175 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Well hey...Apple had to buy it...

remember that.

You going to credit Apple with 3D maps when that comes out too?

You going to credit Google with inventing Android?

You do not get the right to claim ownership of an idea you bought and tweaked.

Since a lot of you like to slam Google for having bought Android the same thing goes in all directions.

I don't want to call a lot of you hypocrites or anything.

Spare us the sanctimony.

Google search is a copy of Yahoo.
Gmail is a copy of Hotmail.
Google maps was purchased.
YouTube was purchased.
Android was going to be a rip-off of BB, but them they decided to rip-off Apple.

100% of the empire you so generously fellate is bought, copied or stolen.
post #176 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbucket View Post

Spare us the sanctimony.

Google search is a copy of Yahoo.
Gmail is a copy of Hotmail.
Google maps was purchased.
YouTube was purchased.
Android was going to be a rip-off of BB, but them they decided to rip-off Apple.

100% of the empire you so generously fellate is bought, copied or stolen.

Way to not read my comment and just spazz out on the keyboard.

You mad?

Also calling Google a copy of Yahoo is like calling Apple a copy of the computer companies that existed before it.
post #177 of 177
double
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Google prepping 'Majel' Android voice assistant to counter Apple's Siri