or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone, Android dominate U.S. smartphone market with combined 82% share

iPhone, Android dominate U.S. smartphone market with combined 82% share - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Hmm. Well I guess the question is: will it be enough to reverse Nokia's fortunes?

I'm not sure about Nokia but MS can certain ride out the current trends for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple won't "take its foot off the brake." Apple is performing amazingly well based on virtually every metric conceivable. In fact, I can't name a single metric where Apple isn't the leader.

They seem to be dead last when it comes to:

Layoffs
Race to the bottom

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They seem to be dead last when it comes to:

— Layoffs
— Race to the bottom

— Shitty hardware
— Shitty software

Actually, Apple didn't make the list for those two... too many pc and android vendors on those lists making Apple's percentage imperceptible.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #43 of 65
These stats are stupid. Market share is not as important as the size of the installed base. That's what drives app sales. Android is growing quickly. But it still hasn't caught up to iOS in the size of the installed base.
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i don't know if android would still be in the lead, but just like ferrari will never outsell fiat toyota and ford together (or even 1 vs 1), android being in the lead makes sense.

but what's the point? android products are cheaper, so there's nothing apple can do besides playing with it's strengths. they (apple) sell more and more and it won't stop soon. they sell almost everything they can produce, android doesn't (and shouldn't) matter. different markets. android will become just low-end (like it already is).

Apple sold out this quarter by offering a Free iphone like android
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I didn't know Siri could dictate. Cool beans.

That aside; I agree that Apple's crazy optimisation has allowed them to save money and perform better than the equivalent and perform alarmingly close to those with higher specifications. Android tablets being a good benchmark for this.

Honeycomb needs 1GB of RAM, iOS5 can run on 256mb. Nice!

Does not dictate in real time
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Apple sold out this quarter by offering a Free iphone like android

You mean they sold pretty much as many as they could make or they've betrayed some principle despite only selling devices that can run iOS 5.0. Sounds to me like they've built well over the years in a very controlled manner.

post #47 of 65
It's funny how you guys are so passionately trying to defend Apple's numbers.

The fact remains that this article is talking about OS installs. Not hardware. And in terms of operating systems, it's obvious that Android is the winner hands down.

If we were talking about hardware only, of course the number of iphones would appear better. But in the end, it's software that we're talking about.

Even if we were to talk about hardware, Samsung alone has immense amounts of sales, and beats iPhone sales in the global market.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

The fact remains that this article is talking about OS installs. Not hardware. And in terms of operating systems, it's obvious that Android is the winner hands down.

If we were talking about hardware only, of course the number of iphones would appear better. But in the end, it's software that we're talking about.

Even if we were to talk about hardware, Samsung alone has immense amounts of sales, and beats iPhone sales in the global market.

You are wrong. It's not about OS installs. it's about the number of handsets sold. Heck, the very first words in the article are "Sales of Android and iOS handsets ".

Furthermore, if it was about the OS installations, they would have included tablets and the iPod Touch (as well as any equivalent if Android licensees have one). When you consider ALL devices using the OS, iOS actually leads Android.

In the future, please get your facts right before posting.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 65
Quote:

Then show your work. Where is it that "in terms of operating systems" that Android OS is "winning hands down" over iOS?

post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You mean they sold pretty much as many as they could make or they've betrayed some principle despite only selling devices that can run iOS 5.0. Sounds to me like they've built well over the years in a very controlled manner.

Its a race to the bottom apple does not need to do.

Material cost for the iphone has stayed the same no matter what generation you buy (a little over 200+ in materials. Yes they get cheaper the more apple makes but they will not be producing 3GS in any large quantity if even they are producing them and just letting old supply run out). So by offering a free phone they are cutting their margins in hopes to gain a bottom dweller iphone user who probably will not buy any apps or songs cause all they could offered is a 2 year old plus phone that looks likes very different from current models. At least the iphone 4 looks like the 4s
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Its a race to the bottom apple does not need to do.

Material cost for the iphone has stayed the same no matter what generation you buy (a little over 200+ in materials. Yes they get cheaper the more apple makes but they will not be producing 3GS in any large quantity if even they are producing them and just letting old supply run out). So by offering a free phone they are cutting their margins in hopes to gain a bottom dweller iphone user who probably will not buy any apps or songs cause all they could offered is a 2 year old plus phone that looks likes very different from current models. At least the iphone 4 looks like the 4s

You have to grow your base once your upper tiers get saturated. Hopefully you can do this on your own terms and not because you've been pushed out of the upper tiers. Apple has executed this well over the years with the iPod.

Personally, I expect the iPod Touch to updated after the new year (it was never updated alongside the iPhone, their flagship device)) and I expect a larger display size sporting the same resolution display. Then next Autumn we'll get that same size display in the iPhone and the 3GS will be dropped so we'll have the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and whatever this 6th generation iPhone will be called. I'm thanking that 4G makes the most sense right now.

post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"While there may have been over 10 billion app downloads, that number spreads the $2 billion that Apple...[/I]"

10 billion was Google's claim, Apple's latest was 18 billion, in October.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

10 billion was Google's claim, Apple's latest was 18 billion, in October.

If you read my post the claims were all based off Apple's announced developer revenue and AppStore download figures as of April 2011. That was 10 billion downloads and $2B revenue. You're welcome to go back and check to verify.

Also the article this was sourced from is repeated here if you overlooked it originally:
http://gigaom.com/apple/the-average-...ng-much-money/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #54 of 65
Quote:

Samsung also sells phones like this by the millions.

Their highest selling flagship smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S 2, even in all it's iterations, has sold nowhere near the number of iPhones sold over the same period.

Less than 10 million of the 300 million handsets they sold this year.
post #55 of 65
Quote:

Samsung also sells phones like this by the millions.

Their highest selling flagship smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S 2, even in all it's iterations, has sold nowhere near the number of iPhones sold over the same period.

Less than 10 million of the 300 million handsets they sold this year.

Samsung doesn't breakout smartphone sales any longer so we don't know that for certain. All we can go by is what they had to say a few months ago. 10 million might be a good guess, but it's not an official number AFAIK unless you have something solid. With it now being sold in the US too the figure could certainly be higher than 10 million.

EDIT: Came across the supposed official announcement back in October that Samsung had sold at least 10 million of the S2's and that was before it was even available in the US. If accurate then I'd put a guess at 15 million sold by now. The announcement would also indicate that altho Samsung said they were no longer announcing smartphone sales breakout's, they apparently will for a specific model with a specific success.
http://androidandme.com/2011/10/devi...-million-sold/
post #56 of 65
Quote:

Samsung doesn't breakout smartphone sales any longer so we don't know that for certain. All we can go by is what they had to say a few months ago. 10 million might be a good guess, but it's not an official number AFAIK unless you have something solid. With it now being sold in the US too the figure could certainly be higher than 10 million.

They announced 10 million which is a small percentage of their total sales and far less than the number of iPhones sold over the same period.

Edit:-

The link you posted was "shipped" and includes totals for all "Galaxy" phones over the last several years.

Even including all those it is 5% of the 580 million handsets Samsung sold over the last two years.
post #57 of 65
Quote:

They announced 10 million which is a small percentage of their total sales and far less than the number of iPhones sold over the same period.

You didn't read my link did you. In October, and before any US carrier sales, they had already sold 10 million. They haven't updated their announced total S2 sales since it became available in the US about two months ago.
post #58 of 65
Quote:

Edit:-

The link you posted was "shipped".

If it's like Apple shipped equals sold in most cases. The linked article never says shipped, so you must be making that distinction yourself. You're the one that stated authoritatively that Samsung had sold fewer than 10 million S2's.

EDIT:Posted again in case you had missed it. You apparently still didn't really read the link in it's entirety or you would have noted 30 million total for the Galaxy S line, with 10 million of those being S2's. . . back in October.
http://androidandme.com/2011/10/devi...-million-sold/
post #59 of 65
Quote:

If it's like Apple shipped equals sold in most cases. The linked article never says shipped, so you must be making that distinction yourself. You're the one that stated authoritatively that Samsung had sold fewer than 10 million.

"Samsung says sells over 300 million mobile handsets in 2011

SEOUL | Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:09am EST

(Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd said on Sunday its annual mobile handset sales this year had exceeded 300 million units for the first time in the company's history.

The world's second largest handset maker by volume said in a statement it had broken its sales record by the end of last month.

Handset sales in 2010 were about 280 million.

"We look forward to extending this success going into 2012," JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business, was quoted as saying.

Samsung said the company's flagship Galaxy S smartphone series -- Galaxy S and Galaxy S II -- contributed significantly to the results.

The GALAXY S II, launched in April, set a new sales record for Samsung, generating 10 million-unit sales.

(Reporting by Sung-won Shim, Editing by Jonathan Thatcher)"

Source

30 million/300 million + 280 million = 5.17% of Samsung's total handset sales over the last two years were from the Galaxy S line, according to their own press releases.

Equivalent to one Quarter of iOS device sales.

'Android and Me' or Reuters, hmm, who to believe.
post #60 of 65
Quote:

"Samsung says sells over 300 million mobile handsets in 2011

SEOUL | Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:09am EST

(Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd said on Sunday its annual mobile handset sales this year had exceeded 300 million units for the first time in the company's history.

The world's second largest handset maker by volume said in a statement it had broken its sales record by the end of last month.

Handset sales in 2010 were about 280 million.

"We look forward to extending this success going into 2012," JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business, was quoted as saying.

Samsung said the company's flagship Galaxy S smartphone series -- Galaxy S and Galaxy S II -- contributed significantly to the results.

The GALAXY S II, launched in April, set a new sales record for Samsung, generating 10 million-unit sales.

(Reporting by Sung-won Shim, Editing by Jonathan Thatcher)"

Source

30 million/300 million + 280 million = 5.17% of Samsung's total handset sales over the last two years were from the Galaxy S line, according to their own press releases.

Equivalent to one Quarter of iOS device sales.

Yup. The sentence "The GALAXY S II, launched in April, set a new sales record for Samsung, generating 10 million-unit sales.' was using their October press release figure. Fairly obvious unless you chose to ignore the link I provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60

'Android and Me' or Reuters, hmm, who to believe.

Gee, how about we trust Samsungs own press release from Sept 25th, linked here, courtesy of BoyGenius:
http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/26/samsun...i-phones-sold/

That was well before any US carrier sales at all.
It's no big deal. You simple didn't understand exactly what you were reading in the Reuters article. I hope I helped clear that up for you.
And to be fair the original September press did indicate channel sales (somewhat different than simply shipped) as you suggested, altho that's the same official way Apple identifies when a sale/revenue occurred.
post #61 of 65
Quote:

Yup. The sentence "The GALAXY S II, launched in April, set a new sales record for Samsung, generating 10 million-unit sales.' was using their October press release figure. Fairly obvious unless you chose to ignore the link I provided.

Gee, how about we trust Samsungs own press release from Sept 25th, linked here, courtesy of BoyGenius:
http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/26/samsun...i-phones-sold/

That was well before any US carrier sales at all.
It's no big deal. You simple didn't understand exactly what you were reading in the Reuters article. I hope I helped clear that up for you.
And to be fair the original September press did indicate channel sales (somewhat different than simply shipped) as you suggested, altho that's the same official way Apple identifies when a sale/revenue occurred.

I know a few people with this phone since getting theirs they are on either the 2nd or 3rd one due to various problems they have had.

Samsung may have shipped/sold that many but how many have come back, you never see those numbers.

One of the people who is on their 3rd, told me when the second failed to turn on and they took it back and the store tech could not get it to turn on they gave them a new one. Well a few days later he gets a call and they are tell him they want him to bring back the 3rd replacement since the 2nd replacement began working again. They told they did nothing to it and is just turned on so it working again and they want him to take it back.
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I know a few people with this phone since getting theirs they are on either the 2nd or 3rd one due to various problems they have had.

Samsung may have shipped/sold that many but how many have come back, you never see those numbers.

One of the people who is on their 3rd, told me when the second failed to turn on and they took it back and the store tech could not get it to turn on they gave them a new one. Well a few days later he gets a call and they are tell him they want him to bring back the 3rd replacement since the 2nd replacement began working again. They told they did nothing to it and is just turned on so it working again and they want him to take it back.

Your story could absolutely be true. There's lots of complaints about iPhone 4S battery issues and " no service" notifications or unexplained outages too. Some of those iPhone buyers have been given the same advice to return their phone for another. Some even claimed to be on their 2nd or 3rd exchange. In neither the Samsung or Apple cases would that be proof that the issues affect any significant percentage of buyers would it?

FWIW, Apple hasn't discussed how many 4S have been returned due to suspected device failure either, nor would I expect them to. Why report negative news?

Millions of sales of any device would be expected to include a few lemons.
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The statement of the person to whom you responded is false. Apple iOS has 54% market share for mobile operating systems.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/mobile-market-share

Yet Apple wishes for tablets to be classified as computers. What to do, what to do? The second you do that you gain a small margin in the computer market share but lose a lot of ground in the mobile market share.

Btw, why are tablets and mobile phones lumped together, but not mp3 touch screens?
post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverclutch View Post

Yet Apple wishes for tablets to be classified as computers.

When have they actually said this?
Doesn't matter if they did, though. A fish won't become a mammal no matter how long you call it a moose.
Quote:
What to do, what to do? The second you do that you gain a small margin in the computer market share but lose a lot of ground in the mobile market share.

Btw, why are tablets and mobile phones lumped together, but not mp3 touch screens?

Because those tablets and those mobile phones which are lumped together run the same software. Non-smartphones are treated separately and Windows7 tablets are PCs.
post #65 of 65
Quote:

Your story could absolutely be true. There's lots of complaints about iPhone 4S battery issues and " no service" notifications or unexplained outages too. Some of those iPhone buyers have been given the same advice to return their phone for another. Some even claimed to be on their 2nd or 3rd exchange. In neither the Samsung or Apple cases would that be proof that the issues affect any significant percentage of buyers would it?

FWIW, Apple hasn't discussed how many 4S have been returned due to suspected device failure either, nor would I expect them to. Why report negative news?

Millions of sales of any device would be expected to include a few lemons.

Do not disagree, Apple could be having similar problem, however, Apple would not be getting huge Customer Sat Ratings if they did not have good quality products. Also look at their 10K and their warranty reserves, this is an indication of their expect warranty claims in the future which include replacing units. Apple is one of companies with a low warranty reserves. Samsung has a pretty large one. However, the problem with Samsung those reserves are for a number of their business not just phone or computers. It probably includes things like washers and driers as well.

However, my comment about the Samsung failure is relevant since I know far more people with Iphones and none of them had to return their iphones for any reason. I was just surprised that almost all the people I know who got the Galaxy end up having to return them for replacement.

The nice thing about apple if you have a problem with an Iphone you can alway contact apple and they will help resolve the issue with people well trained on the product. Not the case with other phone, many time you have to go back to where you bought it and deal with someone who may have not idea or limited experience with the phone thus making the experience worse.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhone, Android dominate U.S. smartphone market with combined 82% share
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone, Android dominate U.S. smartphone market with combined 82% share