or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung expanding media efforts to compete with Apple's iTunes

Samsung expanding media efforts to compete with Apple's iTunes

post #1 of 45
Samsung plans to step up its competition with Apple's iTunes by providing content directly to customers who buy its TVs, smartphones and tablets.

Samsung revealed its intentions in a press release issued on Wednesday announcing that the company has hired Devid Eun, who was previously president of AOL Media and Studios, as an executive vice president. At AOL, Eun oversaw the company's efforts to provide more premium content.

Previously, Eun worked at Google where he was involved with projects such as Google Books, YouTube, and Google Maps. He also worked at traditional media companies NBC and Time Warner.

Samsung said that Eun "will play a key role in developing a global media strategy and driving new business opportunities to take advantage of Samsung's growing number of digital televisions and displays, mobile phones, tablets and other connected devices."

"Samsung Electronics has an unparalleled footprint across multiple devices and platforms that provides a unique experience to consumers around the world," Eun said. "The competition for prominence in the living room has already begun, and Samsung Electronics is ideally situated to extend beyond that to connect the entire home and the lives of consumers. Im looking forward to joining the impressive leadership already in place and to building a new presence in media for Samsung Electronics."

As noted by Kara Swisher of All Things D, Samsung had previously launched smaller content efforts, but the hiring of Eun is an indication that the company plans to broaden its offerings. That move will ramp up competition with Apple, which has been dominant in the online content business, and Google, which is a newer entrant into the market.

Samsung's interest in expanding content availability also comes as Amazon, which has traditionally been a content provider, is competing in the hardware market with its new color touchscreen tablet, the Kindle Fire. And Sony, a manufacturer of smartphone, portable media players and game consoles, also has its own media offerings under the Qriocity brand.

The hiring of Eun also comes as an intense rivalry between Samsung and Apple has prompted Apple to seek other suppliers for components for its electronics. Previously, Apple was said to be the largest customer of Samsung, and was projected to buy $7.8 billion in parts from the company this year alone.

But Apple has accused Samsung of copying the look and feel of Apple's iPhone and iPad with its own smartphone and tablet devices. Samsung has fired back with its own patent infringement lawsuits against Apple, and the two companies are engaged in numerous legal battles around the world.

The rivalry between Samsung and Apple could grow even greater in the future, as Apple is rumored to be working on a full-fledged television to launch in the next year, while Samsung is a major competitor in the HDTV market. In addition, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said last week that he expects his company's Google TV software to be on a "majority" of TVs sold in 2012.
post #2 of 45
They have the devices and even some of the interconnecting SW so it's about time they added content as a bonding agent.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #3 of 45
Let me guess - the application will feature a round icon with a musical note in it and be called "yTunes".

The Samsung CEO will introduce it by including the complete catalog from 2U and the Peatles.
post #4 of 45
Samsung TVs - now with iToons
post #5 of 45
SWEET!!!! An executive of
AOL! That's one cool well thought of company!
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #6 of 45
Looks like Sammy is trying to continue to be cool like Apple. The trouble is that they are about 10 years late to the party.
post #7 of 45
Let them. I like seeing Samesung hemmorage money.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Samsung said that Eun "will play a key role in developing a global media strategy and driving new business opportunities..."

It's refreshing to read a press announcement that uses a down-to-earth tone and creative word choices. Not in the above bromide, mind you, but when one comes up it's still refreshing.
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

SWEET!!!! An executive of
AOL! That's one cool well thought of company!

You forgot the "Google", "NBC" and "Time Warner".

AI and its sensational headlines. Makes me laugh.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #10 of 45
It's not Apple, so it bound to fail, Like their share in the smartphone business.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Let me guess - the application will feature a round icon with a musical note in it and be called "yTunes".

The Samsung CEO will introduce it by including the complete catalog from 2U and the Peatles.

ROFL
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

It's not Apple, so it bound to fail, Like their share in the smartphone business.

Nobody cares about share.
post #13 of 45
Quote:
And Sony...has its own media offerings under the Qriocity brand.

Talk about setting yourself up for failure. That has to be the worst brand name since the Ford Gelding.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung plans to step up its competition with Apple's iTunes by providing content directly to customers who buy its TVs, smartphones and tablets.

Samsung revealed its intentions in a press release issued on Wednesday announcing that the company has hired Devid Eun, who was previously president of AOL Media and Studios, as an executive vice president. At AOL, Eun oversaw the company's efforts to provide more premium content.

Previously, Eun worked at Google where he was involved with projects such as Google Books, YouTube, and Google Maps. He also worked at traditional media companies NBC and Time Warner.

And AOL's pre-eminent position in the online media delivery market is testimony to his brilliant success.

Oh, wait.......
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 45
It used to be "Redmond, start your photocopiers!" Now it's become "Mountian View and Seoul, start your photocopiers!"

It's like two of the bad kids in class copying off the test of the smart kid. Do your own work!
post #16 of 45
Why doesn't Samsung just go back to making halfway-decent TVs and computer displays? Their phones suck, their tablets suck, their laptops suck, they seem completely unfocused in what they're trying to do, who they're trying to be. If they seemed even halfway capable of pulling off a venture into providing content, this might not seem so crazy. They make so many phone models how's anyone supposed to pick one? I lost count of how many "Tab" models they make (such a STUPID name) - one or two tablet models should be enough. I'm certainly not a Samsung phone or tablet user, but how can a company so unfocused even survive? I'll be glad when their Android empire crumbles and they go back to making TVs and computer displays.
post #17 of 45
These copyists need to be put in their place. Boycott Samsung and teach them a lesson about intellectual property theft.
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

That is a great example.

I expect that Samsung's media offerings will be to iTunes as Samsung smartphone sales are to iPhone sales.
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

These copyists need to be put in their place. Boycott Samsung and teach them a lesson about intellectual property theft.

Not "copyists" so much as "us-too-ers." Everybody sits back and watches to see what Apple does and then, if Apple hits a home run, the boards of these companies send out the "us-too" edicts. The whole world laughed when Steve Jobs intoduced the iPod followed by the iTMS. The walled garden arguments, the DRM arguments, the CDs are better arguments, you name it. But years later companies like Samsung look at the success and say "us-too". Siri was trashed by the Android crowd but now Google is "developing its answer" too, called Majel. More us-too-ing.
post #20 of 45
Quote:

You would have to ban all apple hardware. Apple can not produce anything high quality without samsung.
post #21 of 45
Samsung does not make the os, so I would not step on googles toes and mess with google's music and content business unless they want to lose android early access to HTC.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #22 of 45
Wow... here is a picture of their Beta. Looks pretty nice so far...

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They have the devices and even some of the interconnecting SW so it's about time they added content as a bonding agent.

I hear Korean soap operas are extremely popular. In Hawaii. Maybe Samsung could start there.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Samsung does not make the os, so I would not step on googles toes and mess with google's music and content business unless they want to lose android early access to HTC.

Agree. Samsung doesn't control their own destiny. They're at Google's mercy.

post #25 of 45
To make it even tackier Samesung could include a catalog of 'modern' Korean pop tunes - uugghhh + yawn + yawn
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You would have to ban all apple hardware. Apple can not produce anything high quality without samsung.

You mean Samesung-manufactured chips that are licensed from ARM (Cambridge, UK) architecture? Apple will simply shop elsewhere (there's lots to choose from) or brand their own.
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Already on it.
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error601 View Post

Why doesn't Samsung just go back to making halfway-decent TVs and computer displays? Their phones suck, their tablets suck, their laptops suck, they seem completely unfocused in what they're trying to do, who they're trying to be. If they seemed even halfway capable of pulling off a venture into providing content, this might not seem so crazy. They make so many phone models how's anyone supposed to pick one? I lost count of how many "Tab" models they make (such a STUPID name) - one or two tablet models should be enough. I'm certainly not a Samsung phone or tablet user, but how can a company so unfocused even survive? I'll be glad when their Android empire crumbles and they go back to making TVs and computer displays.

They still make TVs, computer displays, microsprocessors, NAND chips, memory chips, and mobile phone and computers.

Using your same logic, why doesnt Apple just stick with making computers like it did when it first was established?

Using that logic on Apple just doesnt do it for you now does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I hear Korean soap operas are extremely popular. In Hawaii. Maybe Samsung could start there.

Its pretty popular in many parts of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

You may "ban" Samsung directly, but their products are in almost all the modern day electronic devices.

So technically, you aren't really "banning" Samsung at all.

Remember, Samsung just doesnt make APs or just NAND flash or memory chips, they also make logic chips, displays, PCB boards, batteries, and many other electronic components. They even make compressors and CMOS sensors that goes into many cameras.

Not to mention, Samsung has many pantents and license deals with many companies who provide it with royalty payments. So when Apple purchases Quallcom chipsets, a certain portion is paid to Samsung for its 3G patents even before Apple takes a hold of those chips. So Apple indirectly pays for the license.

Good luck trying to stay away from their influences.

In this days and age of global markets, your thinking is severely archaic. Please, get with the times.

Remember the phrase: No man (company) is an island.

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

They still make TVs, computer displays, microsprocessors, NAND chips, memory chips, and mobile phone and computers.

Using your same logic, why doesnt Apple just stick with making computers like it did when it first was established?

Using that logic on Apple just doesnt do it for you now does it?

Its pretty popular in many parts of the world.

You may "ban" Samsung directly, but their products are in almost all the modern day electronic devices.

Apple are already looking at Sharp (Japan) to supple the best screens and are buying truly cutting edge flash technology from Anobit (Israel), etc. etc. Samsung license chip designs from other companies and manufacture stuff. Apple will get on perfectly well without them. Samsung can't even write their own software.

Korean soap operas, like K-pop, are extremely popular in places like Los Angeles (where there are high numbers of Korea-Americans ). But the vast majority of other westerners simply laugh at that tacky garbage, as they should.
post #31 of 45
Quote:

True, but Apple have TONS of patents in their stable, either developed in-house or aquired through buyouts. Add to that Apple's focus on innovation rather than imitation and it's pretty clear Samsung's days are numbered. Like thousands of other parts suppliers Samsung will continue to get some third-party licensing royalties for a while, while those products they copy off Apple will continue to be seen as the 'poor-man's version of'.

The fact that Apple isn't even considering a buyout of Samsung at this point tells us how 'crucial' Samsung really are to Apple's long-term goals. Apple are looking at truly cutting edge tech and patents from Israel, Japan, the US, Europe and Canada.
post #32 of 45
Quote:

Make is exactly the word you should focus on. Invent is not.

TVs, invented in the US/UK (including plasma versions in the US as far back as the 1970s).

Computer displays (invented in the US)

Microprocessors (US/UK)

NAND chips (invented in Japan by Toshiba)

Memory chips (invented in the US)

Mobile phones (invented in the US)

Computers (invented in the UK/US)

Like I said, in the long run Apple and plenty of other companies will get along just fine without Samesung.

Samesung and some other Korean companies (government-backed) did to US manufacturing what Chinese companies (also government-backed) are now doing to Samsung; they were able to slap together the same basic western inventions for a fraction of the labor cost and drive them out of business. How does it feel?
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nobody cares about share.

I guess they should better have in the Apple II days...
post #34 of 45
Quote:

post #35 of 45
Quote:

I disagree.

Apple is a rock. Apple is an island.
post #36 of 45
Quote:

Well, to be fair the final version will look like this.

I mean after all they wouldn't want people to confuse their product with Apple's.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Error601 View Post

You left out Kies, now that really, really, really sucks, it's far worse than iTunes (software) but never seems to draw the same criticisms.

I guess it's not part of the big picture all the paid Samsung touts want people to see.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post

You mean Samesung-manufactured chips that are licensed from ARM (Cambridge, UK) architecture? Apple will simply shop elsewhere (there's lots to choose from) or brand their own.

That would be the same ARM Apple started with Acorn.

Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas
post #39 of 45
Quote:

Not to mention, Samsung has many pantents and license deals with many companies who provide it with royalty payments. So when Apple purchases Quallcom chipsets, a certain portion is paid to Samsung for its 3G patents even before Apple takes a hold of those chips. So Apple indirectly pays for the license.

Wrong, Samsung TERMINATES Qualcomm's license when they sell chips to Apple and only to Apple.

It's part of their ANTI-COMPETITIVE behaviour.
post #40 of 45
I hear there is a "Samsung Experience" store in NYC, an attempted copycat of the Apple Store "experience". How low can a copycat go? Well, it appears to me the only thing lower than Samsung is whale s**t on the bottom of the ocean,

And just what is a "Samsung experience" supposed to be?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung expanding media efforts to compete with Apple's iTunes