or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

post #1 of 185
Time magazine announced on Wednesday its annual "Person of the Year," awarding the title to "The Protester." Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was recognized in a "Fond Farewell" from the magazine, while Apple CEO Tim Cook was identified as one of 2011's "People Who Mattered."

Though there were suggestions that Jobs should be named the Person of the Year after he passed away in October, Jobs didn't earn the title or even make the magazine's list of runners up. Citing demonstrations in the Middle East, Europe and the U.S., Time declared that "The Protester" was the single most important identity in 2011.

Runners up named by the magazine were four-star U.S. Navy Admiral William McRaven, who is credited with the mission that led to the death of Osama bin Laden, artist and Chinese political activist Ai Weiwei, U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan, and Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.

Though Jobs didn't make the cut as a runner-up, he was recognized in a "Fond Farewell" written by John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar. Lasseter said he thought of Jobs almost as a brother, and told a story about how Jobs asked for his approval to go back to Apple after his company, NeXT, was bought out.

"He didn't want to do it without our blessing," Lasseter wrote. "He said he wanted to go back because the world would be a better place with Apple in it. That was incredibly touching to me, and it showed that Steve cared about people. He knew that his products and technology could improve people's lives."

Also recognized by Time was Cook, Apple's CEO who was named among a list of "People Who Mattered." The short profile of the chief executive noted that before Jobs left Apple, Cook himself said that no one could stand in for the "irreplaceable" co-founder.

"Under Cook's watch, Apple became the most valuable company in the world during 2011," author Doug Aamoth wrote. "Irreplaceable though Steve Jobs may be, Apple's in very good hands with Tim Cook behind the wheel."
post #2 of 185
Booo. Should've gone to Jobs or Admiral McRaven imo.
post #3 of 185
there was a contest?
post #4 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

there was a contest?

Bull-shiite
post #5 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

there was a contest?

Hmmm protestors, in the UK they are nothing more than a blight on your usual decent citizen, an inconvenience that I wish the police could just round up and move on.

Good choice guys!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #6 of 185
They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.
post #7 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kate Middleton, Dutchess of Cambridge.

Only Fergie (of Black Eyed Peas infamy) is a Dutchess, the Princess William is in her own right Duchess of Cambridge.
post #8 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Bull-shiite

post #9 of 185
They might as well have picked Lohan.
post #10 of 185
Right decision IMHO. The global protests have had more effect on the world than Steve Jobs this year. Toppling governments is far bigger than the latest iDevice or version of OS X.
post #11 of 185
Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.
post #12 of 185
The protestors accomplished nothing, other than making Time's Person of the Year.

I though the photo cover picture of this was quite interesting.
post #13 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Next year...
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #14 of 185
A guy who sells computers and music players definitely should have won, not a bunch of whiners worrying about social justice.
post #15 of 185
Well no shit. He did spend a fair amount of time earlier this year away on sick leave before stepping down as CEO. What notable things have he accomplished this year?
post #16 of 185
Excellent choice by Time Magazine.

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

• Computer: MacBook CE unibody 2,4GHz
• iDevices: iPod nano 4G 8GB, iPhone 3GS 16GB
• Headphones: ATH-A900Ti, ATH-AD900, SE530 & SE210
• Search before you post!

post #17 of 185
What a crock! Years from now when people scan the list of past winners, they will say what was that about. No one will remember OWS a year from now.
post #18 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

She's been protesting sobriety all year so she's included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt77 View Post

Excellent choice by Time Magazine.

Agreed!

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #19 of 185
Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.
post #20 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRCN View Post

What a crock! Years from now when people scan the list of past winners, they will say what was that about. No one will remember OWS a year from now.

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....
post #21 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

Right decision IMHO. The global protests have had more effect on the world than Steve Jobs this year. Toppling governments is far bigger than the latest iDevice or version of OS X.

The Protestor is a worthy winner. Anyone who stands up against tyranny, social injustice, corporate greed or environmental destruction should be celebrated.
post #22 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.

Bin Laden certainly deserved Person of the Year in 2001 if the Hitler did in 1938. However Hitler would not have deserved it in 1945. Harry Truman did for using nuclear weapons if nothing else. Steve Jobs' accomplishments in 2011 do not stand out above other years, although his death may have made people consider earlier accomplishments more consciously. It's not a lifetime achievement award and it's not supposed to be an honor. The Bin Laden decision was capitulation to those who incorrectly perceive it as such.
post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRCN View Post

It was more about the Arab Spring than the OWS movement. And the protests forced governmental changes. What have Stevie done this year besides selling more computer gadgets?
post #24 of 185
Quote:

I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.
post #25 of 185
Quote:

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

A lot of people seem to think that this is all about the Occupiers.

Hardly.

This is mostly about, as you say, the people of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and Syria.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #26 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The Protestor is a worthy winner. Anyone who stands up against tyranny, social injustice, corporate greed or environmental destruction should be celebrated.

Your description makes it sound like the worst superhero ever.

post #27 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

It was more about the Arab Spring than the OWS movement. And the protests forced governmental changes. What have Stevie done this year besides selling more computer gadgets?

Well he died...Was the subject of the biggest book this year...Released the best product of the year (iPhone 4s)...and made the MacBook Air a worthy buy... Compare that to toppling regimes, destroying dictatorships, and changing how the world thinks about the haves and have nots... I'd say its a tie...
post #28 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.

Is it really hard to believe that in other cultures that setting yourself on fire is a form of protest?

If I am remembering my history correctly( please correct me if I am wrong on location and/or person), it was monks in Vietnam who set themselves on fire in protest.

Sure setting yourself on fire here in the US in protest may be looked upon as crazy. But, not in other cultures.
post #29 of 185
Quote:

Is it really hard to believe that in other cultures that setting yourself on fire is a form of protest?

If I am remembering my history correctly( please correct me if I am wrong on location and/or person), it was monks in Vietnam who set themselves on fire in protest.

Sure setting yourself on fire here in the US in protest may be looked upon as crazy. But, not in other cultures.

Yes, I am aware that it has been done in the past also, such as the monks which you mentioned.

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.
post #30 of 185
I think they made the right choice...
Most of you might be looking too closely inside our borders. The "Global" protester had a much greater effect on the planet than SJ (this YEAR at least).

Here's a link to a 4 min. video interview explaining the decision.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/456571.../#.TujTSGNFunA
post #31 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...
post #32 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your description makes it sound like the worst superhero ever.

He he - yes it does. I'd love to see the uniform. Cyclops, Ironman, Phoenix, The Silver Surfer, The Protestor
post #33 of 185
So a bunch of unemployed and homeless people made the Time magazine cover? Brilliant.
post #34 of 185
"The Protester"...how bogus. I hate when Time kisses ass like this. The Person of the Year award should go to a PERSON. That should be freaking obvious. What one PERSON had a particularly noticeable influence on society? Hmm, let's see...what one person dominated media coverage this year...hmm.

Normal definition of "person": human, individual sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

Time's definition of "person": ...a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine...

Seriously Time, if you want it to be about all these things then change the name of the award. Don't just create your own definition for a word. They're just doing this on purpose to generate publicity. It's clear manipulation and people don't like that.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #35 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...

Yeah...I've never seen an extremely old issue of a magazine at a doctor's office. (FYI...that was sarcasm)

post #36 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

This person represents "The Protester"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring
post #37 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

This person represents "The Protester"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

Yes, that was the retard who set himself on fire, which I already mentioned previously. Sounds like a real Darwin award winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.
post #38 of 185
Giving the PERSON of the Year award to groups & causes waters down the whole purpose for the award. Yes, protests were big news and important but that is totally unrelated to the PERSON of the Year award. This is as offtrack as People magazine deciding to give the "Sexiest Man Alive" award to "The Protester." Time's desire to sell more copies of the magazine has made this award meaningless.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #39 of 185
Kate Middleton?! What the hell has she done for anyone?
post #40 of 185
"They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?

I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year