or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year - Page 4

post #121 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

I don't read Time magazine.
post #122 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That picture represents all protestors as much as this picture represents all Apple users:

Word!

post #123 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This liberal v conservative speak is off topic and overly political for a General Discussion article.

This is politics? I thought it was more comedic. But yes, its not even very funny. (Lets go back to super heroes - that made me laugh )
post #124 of 185
Quote:

L O L
post #125 of 185
Quote:

I bet that you only say that since I'm back in the thread now.

I remember you posting liberal propaganda earlier (the twitter picture about Fox). You made it political, but now you don't like it anymore? Don't get upset just because I am back and am able to refute all of the nonsense.

1) How would anyone know if you've "left" or if you're "back." Do you not realize that by not posting you can still be reading a thread regardless of whether you're logged in or out.

2) I posted that funny tweet in hopes to lessen the seriousness and hatred you imposed on the thread.

3) My comment about lessening the political commentary didn't single you out but noted the talk in general was getting out of hand for a General Discussion topic. If my intent was to address you I would have addressed you. Do we really want to put the mods through editing a thread of replies?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #126 of 185
Quote:

And as all informed people would know, other news outlets also push BS. If you only see faults with Fox News, then you are biased and it is you who needs a reality check. Are you unaware of the incident when MSNBC edited their news footage, as to make a black guy appear to be a white guy at a Tea Party Rally? That's just one example. There are many more, but the point is, if somebody only singles out Fox News for being biased, then they are being biased themselves.

You fox news apologists sure have a lot of excuses.
post #127 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This is politics? I thought it was more comedic. But yes, its not even very funny. (Lets go back to super heroes - that made me laugh )

I have a few very insensitive jokes about which protestors would be which superhero but they are in very bad taste so I'm refraining.

post #128 of 185
Quote:

1) How would anyone know if you've "left" or if you're "back." Do you not realize that by note posting you can still be reading a thread regardless of whether you're logged in or out.

Since some people seemed to get their panties all wet over what I stated, I specifically mentioned that I was done with this thread, as I'd said what I had to say.

After I left, some people kept taking digs, and even making personal attacks. If somebody's trying to get rid of me, or would rather not have me in a thread, then that's the wrong way to go about it, because here I am.

I merely came back to this thread to refute false allegations, and to combat ignorance, and to set the record straight.
post #129 of 185
Quote:

I have a few very insensitive jokes about which protestors would be which superhero but they are in very bad taste so I'm refraining.

Probably a good idea. I just thought of a general Protestor Man. A chameleon type character with a great sense of empathy but no personal direction. Utterly politically incorrect one day and a great man of the people the next. Terrible suit, of course.

I don't suppose I'd ever gotten a job at Marvel comics.
post #130 of 185
Quote:

I bet that you only say that since I'm back in the thread now.

Yep. It's all about you. It always is.
post #131 of 185
Quote:

I merely came back to this thread to refute false allegations, and to combat ignorance, and to set the record straight.

Which is how you started... before you left... wasn't it
post #132 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

You fox news apologists sure have a lot of excuses.

I don't make any apologies for anybody. I'm not Fox News and I don't care what they do.

You sound like an MSNBC apologist by the way, since you had no comments about their extreme bias.
post #133 of 185
Quote:

Since some people seemed to get their panties all wet over what I stated, I specifically mentioned that I was done with this thread, as I'd said what I had to say.

After I left, some people kept taking digs, and even making personal attacks. If somebody's trying to get rid of me, or would rather not have me in a thread, then that's the wrong way to go about it, because here I am.

Thanks for coming back. You are endlessly entertaining.
post #134 of 185
Quote:

1) How would anyone know if you've "left" or if you're "back." Do you not realize that by not posting you can still be reading a thread regardless of whether you're logged in or out.

Which he obviously never did leave... he hung around just so he could see what everyone says about him.

Quote:

Based on this and other extreme comments you've made I have to wonder if you'd fall under the clinical term for a sociopath or if you have no concept of severe pain and suffering because you've liived such a short, charmed life that has shielded you from reality.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! (See what I wrote above if you need further proof).

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #135 of 185
Quote:

I don't make any apologies for anybody. I'm not Fox News and I don't care what they do.

You sound like an MSNBC apologist by the way, since you had no comments about their extreme bias.

That you don't care what fox does seems common to those who make excuses for them and probably explains a lot about why they don't need to try to be more accurate.
post #136 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Which he obviously never did leave... he hung around just so he could see what everyone says about him.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! (See what I wrote above if you need further proof).

This is a Mac forum, not a let's constantly talk about "Apple ][" forum, because that's all you seem to do in most of your posts. I've already mentioned this to you before in another thread when you were stalking me there like some sort of psycho, but I'll say it again - Mind your own business.

And hopefully you've received an infraction for the personal attack that you made in this thread, as you are clearly ignorant as to the rules of this forum.
post #137 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quite.

Anybody protesting against the status quo is Thinking Different. I am surprised at how few people here Think Different.

People have been protesting against the status quo for a long time, possibly since the beginning of civilization. I believe it is a significant element of society. But different? Not so much.
post #138 of 185
How about this.... Fox News spews conservative agenda propaganda and MSNBC spews liberal agenda propaganda and the only balanced person out there is Jon Stewart.

Before anyone jumps on me, I am joking about the Stewart comment. But, with the media today everything is sensationalized. Nothing is "Fair and Balanced" anymore. The truth doesn't matter. The news doesn't matter. It is just how these media groups can spin and twist the truth and news to fit their target audience. Republicans like Fox News because their twist on the news and truth favors their views. Democrats like MSNBC due to their twist favors their views. They won't watch a news network they disagree with. They will watch a news show that they agree with their views.
post #139 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

How about this.... Fox News spews conservative agenda propaganda and MSNBC spews liberal agenda propaganda and the only balanced person out there is Jon Stewart.

Before anyone jumps on me, I am joking about the Stewart comment. But, with the media today everything is sensationalized. Nothing is "Fair and Balanced" anymore. The truth doesn't matter. The news doesn't matter. It is just how these media groups can spin and twist the truth and news to fit their target audience. Republicans like Fox News because their twist on the news and truth favors their views. Democrats like MSNBC due to their twist favors their views. They won't watch a news network they disagree with. They will watch a news show that they agree with their views.

What is really unfortunate is that the line between reporting and editorializing has become very blurred for many news organizations. There is nothing wrong with editorial programs, but my metric for a good news program is that I can't tell the editors political leanings from the reporting of the news. I'd like the simple facts and then be left alone to make up my own mind on the subject.

Not many of those left unfortunately, and Fox really does seem to be one of the worst offenders among the big players when it comes to mixing reporting with opinion and dressing it up as news. They are certainly not the only ones though.
post #140 of 185
The global protests will change the world and have long lasting impacts. I can accept that choice.

The runners up list is lame.
McRaven may have proverbially cut off a head, but as in Greek mythology many will grow back in its place.
Weiwei may be making a difference, but I hadn't heard of him.
Ryan? A young politician whose policies are those of an 80 year old privileged white man. ACK!
Middleton? Famous because she got married to a prince. How touchingly medieval.

Steve Jobs will go down in history as perhaps the most influential man to have never won the title.
post #141 of 185
Quote:

You do realize there are more groups included than OWS? Sure years from now OWS may not be remembered, but how about the Arab Spring? I think protestors toppling governments in Tunsia, Egypt, Libya, etc will be remembered....

Yep... My thoughts exactly...

However I do admit that at first blush it was the dregs of OWS that came to mind almost immediately.... Now what I'd like to know is who did the editors at time have in THEIR minds when they made the choice they did....

As for Steve... rest in piece my brother in arms... His presence will surely be missed but somehow I don't think it would have bothered him if he didn't make the cut. Like everything these prick waving contests are just that. His reward was the work.
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #142 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yep... My thoughts exactly...

However I do admit that at first blush it was the dregs of OWS that came to mind almost immediately.... Now what I'd like to know is who did the editors at time have in THEIR minds when they made the choice they did....

I think that is because the Occupy movement is fresh in your mind due to it dominating the news recently. Where the Arab Spring happened awhile ago( and still happening, but it isn't in the news as much as the Occupy movement).

And I think that is happening with a lot of people in this thread. They hear, "Protestors" and they immediate think of the Occupy people due to it being fresh in their mind.
post #143 of 185
Did more in his brief life than all of the protesters together will ever accomplish.

Darwin award to time.

BTW, does anybody even read that magazine anymore?

post #144 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by cervellone View Post

Did more in his brief life than all of the protesters together will ever accomplish.

Darwin award to time.

BTW, does anybody even read that magazine anymore?

So Steve Jobs toppled three governments?
post #145 of 185
Quote:

So Steve Jobs toppled three governments?

Governments come and go, especially in underdeveloped and less advanced regions of the globe. One bad leader gets replaced with a new bad leader, it's hardly anything to get excited about.

What Steve Jobs accomplished is far more important of course.
post #146 of 185
Quote:

Governments come and go, especially in underdeveloped and less advanced regions of the globe. One bad leader gets replaced with a new bad leader, it's hardly anything to get excited about.

What Steve Jobs accomplished is far more important of course.

Do I think Jobs maybe deserved to win the title some time before? Sure maybe in 2007, 2003, 2001, etc when he brought out innovative products that changed the industry. But, what did he do this year that merited the award besides passing away?

But, I will always put the will of the people above a consumer product. Consumer products are a luxury. I will choose the peoples ability to overthrow an oppressive government that doesn't have their best interest in mind over a consumer product as being the most important. It would be no different here in the US. If Time had a contest between Steve Jobs and George Washington for Person of the Country( if that makes sense lol), would you still choose Jobs and his consumer gadgets as more important than George Washington and the founding fathers fighting to free the colonies from British rule?
post #147 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

Exactly. Person of the year is all about who has the most impact on the most people in the year. The Occupy protestors and especially protestors in the middle east other protest movements have been going on for months, and they spread almost instantly through the Internet and other means, and no single person could claim to have more impact this year than those people, which is why Time chose "the protestor" as the people of the year.

Occupy has made the news but I have never read about any change/impact as a result of their protests. Exactly what impact are you referring too?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #148 of 185
Quote:

If Time had a contest between Steve Jobs and George Washington for Person of the Country( if that makes sense lol), would you still choose Jobs and his consumer gadgets as more important than George Washington and the founding fathers fighting to free the colonies from British rule?

I think that George Washington would have been deeply offended to have been compared to the protesters and criminals who are currently being mentioned and honored by Time magazine. George Washington had noble goals. I have seen no such evidence of anything noble or good from the protesters as of yet. Though I have seen plenty of evidence to the contrary.

This is obviously an issue that we will just both have to agree to disagree upon. Time will tell which of us was ultimately correct.
post #149 of 185
Is Apple ][ a troll? He/she sure is making Apple fans look dumb.
post #150 of 185
Quote:

Especially when those leaders were democratically elected and yet overthrown by the US interests so that they can get their own puppet dictator in place:

Mohammad Mosaddegh
Salvador Allende

Nothing to see or care about... move along... only products matter.

post #151 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Is Apple ][ a troll? He/she sure is making Apple fans look dumb.

According to Conradjoe, I work for Apple's competition. That should be fairly evident to any intelligent person who reads these forums.
post #152 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Especially when those leaders were democratically elected and yet overthrown by the US interests so that they can get their own puppet dictator in place:

When dealing with those kind of third world places, one has to be pragmatic and strategic, and a friendly dictator is sometimes preferable to the alternative, which can actually be worse.
post #153 of 185
Quote:

According to Conradjoe, I work for Apple's competition. That should be fairly evident to any intelligent person who reads these forums.

Methinks he doth protest too much.
post #154 of 185
Quote:

When dealing with those kind of third world places, one has to be pragmatic and strategic, and a friendly dictator is sometimes preferable to the alternative, which can actually be worse.

Ah yes friendly dictators. Like saddam hussein. We helped put him in power in the 60's and helped him stay there in the 80's. Those people aren't friendly dictators they're puppets. At least when a leader is elected by its own people it's on them if they succeed or fail. That's the beauty of democracy. F@ck dictators.
post #155 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

That's the beauty of democracy.

I don't believe that Democracy is a global concept that every society is capable of implementing. Somebody mentioned George Washington earlier, and I believe that the USA in 1776 was more advanced than certain other places in the world in 2011.

A society has to be of a certain level, culturally, politically and in other areas in order to successfully sustain a true Democracy. I am not one of those people who believes that the USA should spread Democracy around the world, as it's a waste of time.
post #156 of 185
Quote:

A society has to be of a certain level, culturally, politically and in other areas in order to successfully sustain a true Democracy. I am not one of those people who believes that the USA should spread Democracy around the world, as it's a waste of time.

It should be noted that the USA is not a "true democracy" nor has never been one. It's always been a republic of elected leaders. Of the truest democracy of ancient Greece how true was it was adult women and slaves were given no voice at all, but I digress the USA is a representative democracy, which is the only way such a physically and culturally vast and diverse nation could sustain such a government.

post #157 of 185
Quote:

It should be noted that the USA is not a "true democracy" nor has never been one. It's always been a republic of elected leaders. Of the truest democracy of ancient Greece how true was it was adult women and slaves were given no voice at all, but I digress the USA is a representative democracy, which is the only way such a physically and culturally vast and diverse nation could sustain such a government.

I agree with you on that. The USA is a federal constitutional republic, a representative democracy.
post #158 of 185
Quote:

How is it that I can have this guy on my "Ignore" list and his disgusting posts still show up? Am I not understanding how this works?

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #159 of 185
Quote:

I don't believe that Democracy is a global concept that every society is capable of implementing. Somebody mentioned George Washington earlier, and I believe that the USA in 1776 was more advanced than certain other places in the world in 2011.

Supporting brutal dictators is a bigger waste of time. And money, and lives.
post #160 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

How is it that I can have this guy on my "Ignore" list and his disgusting posts still show up? Am I not understanding how this works?

I format my posts using a special script which bypasses any ignore lists. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

And I agree that the disgusting protesters should have never received any award from Time Magazine.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year