or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year - Page 2

post #41 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, that was the retard who set himself on fire, which I already mentioned previously. Sounds like a real Darwin award winner.

It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.

You're well out of order and coming across as extremely bigoted.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #42 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Giving the PERSON of the Year award to groups & causes waters down the whole purpose for the award.

It's not the first time that Time Magazine has chosen something else instead of a person.

When Time first dissed Steve Jobs back in 1982, it was the "personal computer" that was chosen as the person of the year.
post #43 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're well out of order and coming across as extremely bigoted.

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.
post #44 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post




It's looking more like an Arab Winter, as the protesters are no better than the dictators who were there before. They might even be worse.

What the future may hold is not of a concern of person of the year. Person of the Year deals with the past, not what that person might do in the future. If they did, Hitler would never have won Person of the Year......
post #45 of 185
When we pay attention to something we tend to get more of it. Are these the kind of people we want more of if we're searching for peace, self reliance, freedom?

Would a peaceful person demean his neighbor for his accomplishments?

Would self sufficient person demean his neighbor for not being a load on his society?

Would a person of freedom demean his neighbor for wanting to decide how to use the fruits of his labor?

Do we want more people who want to demean his neighbor? Your someone's neighbor, do you want to be demeaned for your accomplishments?
post #46 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

"They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?


I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.

I suspect (hope) some (many) of the responses are sarcastic - although apple 1.9 I'm not sure. I hate generalizations - but many people in the west have been clueless about the plight of citizens in some of these countries. Tunisia for example - its a nice warm sunny place where rich people take vacations right?
post #47 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

Following some form of "news" doesn't mean you are automatically aware and doesn't exclude you from being a dogmatist.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

The protestors accomplished nothing, other than making Time's Person of the Year.

Really? And here I thought that they had brought about the collapse of at least four entrenched governments in the year 2011.
post #49 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Most waiting rooms like a doctor's office get monthly subscriptions to magazines, so this issue would be only found in a library at that time...

You haven't been to my doctor's office.
post #50 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Following some form of "news" doesn't mean you are automatically aware and doesn't exclude you from being a dogmatist.

I am no more of a dogmatist than anybody else who has an opinion. My opinion is just as valid as anybody else's.
post #51 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester'...

Seriously AI?
Get the facts straight. He wasn't even in the list of possible candidates...unless you mean the wish-list from the media and not the actual list that TIME stated in interviews. Way to start a riot on your forums...
post #52 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?

This Time Magazine person of the year should be renamed the Darwin Award of the year.

You sir, are the poster child for mindless consumer culture.

Absolutely zero understanding or respect for people who are concerned with fighting social injustice and dedicating themselves to creating a more humanitarian world. People who would rather die than live in a world where they see those around them being treated unfairly due to corrupt regimes. All that matters in life are the products you own and the culture which has formed around them (like this forum). How utterly shallow...

Sure, you can spew out your images of the more banal side of protesting to justify your beliefs. Just as I could spew out images of morons who mindlessly follow Apple products or act snobby because they've purchased an Apple product, to justify anti-Apple beliefs. But doing that doesn't capture the whole picture, does it?

Even Mr. Jobs himself had a passion for the humanities which was born out of the counter culture movement of the late 60s & early 70s. Not just buying into what corporate America is selling you, but instead finding your own path and creating your own world.

It's that humanity and disregard for the establishment which drove the creation of the Macintosh, and it's the same sentiment which drives protestors to try and shape the world around them when they see injustice.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #53 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.

Rather than insulting others, you should stop and think how lucky you are to live in a country that isn't so repressive that setting yourself on fire seems like the only option for political change.
post #54 of 185
Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.
post #55 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

So should the founding fathers not have revolted against Britain due to the uncertainty it would bring of what would happen to the colonies after they gained their freedom?
post #56 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

So should the founding fathers not have revolted against Britain due to the uncertainty it would bring of what would happen to the colonies after they gained their freedom?

No, what does the American Revolution have to do with the current slew of worldwide protests?

Why would you think for one second that when I said "only one has shown real progress" I meant "the fundamental concept of protests" and not "the current slew of worldwide protests"?

Do you also think that when I talked of Steve Jobs' affect on technology that I actually meant "every technological advancement since the dawn of time, including all wartime innovations, which made the world a worse place"?
post #57 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I am no more of a dogmatist than anybody else who has an opinion. My opinion is just as valid as anybody else's.

I was trying to be kind with that wording. You have called them morons (definition: a stupid person), you have called them retarded (definition: a mentally handicapped person), and you have called them idiots (definition: a stupid person) for protesting. FOR PROTESTING! Based on this and other extreme comments you've made I have to wonder if you'd fall under the clinical term for a sociopath or if you have no concept of severe pain and suffering because you've liived such a short, charmed life that has shielded you from reality.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #58 of 185
I'm glad the Time folks DID NOT disrespect him by not issuing him the award.
post #59 of 185
Much to the delight of certain people here, I'm not going to bother to say anything else in this thread, as I've already made my opinion clear, but I will say one last thing.

I am usually right, and wait and see what happens in a few years and we can revisit this topic again. Those protesters will have accomplished nothing and the new societies that they're setting up will be anti-democratic, bigoted and there will be a lot more problems in those primitive countries, especially for certain groups of people like women, gays etc.

If the KKK were making a new country would you cheer it on? Well, I'm not going to cheer on those mideast countries, no way jose.
post #60 of 185
A person of the year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehi_GUir0Yw

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #61 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

In what time frame? A revolution, can change the revolters world for the worse in the short term, in order for things to improve in the long term.

So one great man - SJ would by this definition always win, over any amount of revolutionists?
post #62 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's my take:

The things Steve Jobs did this year are at least 60% guaranteed to make the world a better place. Either through some innovation of tech, some increase in productivity, or whatever else have you? Stet?

What the protesters (specifically Arab Spring) have done is only removed from the places in which they live the 100% certainty that their world would remain (or become) a (more) terrible place.

Both have the opportunity to be an improvement on quality of life. Only one has shown (or has been known to show) real progress in said area.

Spoken like someone who analyzes the world in the same terms as business gains/losses.

Even though the Arab spring protests haven't brought certain stability, they have created a level of hope among people, and put a certain amount of fear into other regimes because of that. Which is a positive step in my books.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #63 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, what does the American Revolution have to do with the current slew of worldwide protests?

Why would you think for one second that when I said "only one has shown real progress" I meant "the fundamental concept of protests" and not "the current slew of worldwide protests"?

Do you also think that when I talked of Steve Jobs' affect on technology that I actually meant "every technological advancement since the dawn of time, including all wartime innovations, which made the world a worse place"?

The worldwide protests caused revolts which toppled governments. Which you stated that only thing they did was remove certainty of how their lives will be in their future. The revolt against Britain did the same thing. It removed the certainty of the colonies lives.

You can't say they shouldn't have won the Person of the Year because they removed that certainty. They won because they caused the biggest impact this year. How their lives will be now is irrelevant.
post #64 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.



I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

Hear hear
post #65 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

In what time frame? So one great man - SJ would by this definition always win, over any amount of revolutionists?

No, of course not. The timeframe, in this case, is the year. Overall, I'd say that revolutionaries have much more impact than a single person has ever had, but it's not my timeframe to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Even though the Arab spring protests haven't brought certain stability, they have created a level of hope among people, and put a certain amount of fear into other regimes because of that. Which is a positive step in my books.

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying they've removed the certainty of badness. That can only be good. In terms of operational good (so far), however
post #66 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena360 View Post

Hear hear

That picture represents all protestors as much as this picture represents all Apple users:

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #67 of 185
I wouldn't line my bird cage with Time Magazine (Or News Week for that matter). They've become far to left-leaning and politicized.

I'm surprised they didn't make "Occupy" protesters the person of the year!
post #68 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.

Because Steve did little or nothing WRT having the biggest effect of the year?
post #69 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

... People who would rather die than live in a world where they see those around them being treated unfairly due to corrupt regimes. .....

The man chose a permanent solution for a temporary problem and purposely choose to do nothing himself to improve the situation. If that is your leader you know the next step. If that is not your leader step up to the plate and lead by example. People will follow good.

Our great nation grew from 53 self reliant individuals who after burying 50 of their family and friends stood on Plymouth Rock and watched the Mayflower sail out of sight. Then they got busy. "... with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."
post #70 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

The man chose a permanent solution for a temporary problem and purposely choose to do nothing himself to improve the situation......r."

The man didn't quietly commit suicide- that would be in line with what you said, but committed his life because he felt that was the best thing he could do - what would you have him do instead?

Yes the great nation of the USA & Plymouth rock - of course the revolution and the civil war played a big part too?
post #71 of 185
Normally I would be outraged, but as important as Steve is, bringing the ruling class to accountability is far more so.
post #72 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

This person represents "The Protester"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

"They're also a bunch of morons. What was it that triggered some of the protests, some idiots setting themselves on fire?"

Clever. How's the view from inside your rear?


I spent time in Tunisia this past May. The citizens I had contact with were excited and nervous about what the future may hold. They hope for freedoms that we take for granted.

Yeah, yeah...I know...America's great, we have a bigger army than you, etc. I believe that as well (truly), but it's a big world out there.

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #73 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Our great nation grew from 53 self reliant individuals who after burying 50 of their family and friends stood on Plymouth Rock and watched the Mayflower sail out of sight. Then they got busy. "... with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

And they were out there ringin’ those bells and makin’ sure as they were ridin’ their horses through town to send those warning shots and bells that we’re gonna be secure and we were gonna be free. And we we’re gonna be armed.
post #74 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

When we pay attention to something we tend to get more of it. Are these the kind of people we want more of if we're searching for peace, self reliance, freedom?

Would a peaceful person demean his neighbor for his accomplishments?

Would self sufficient person demean his neighbor for not being a load on his society?

Would a person of freedom demean his neighbor for wanting to decide how to use the fruits of his labor?

Do we want more people who want to demean his neighbor? Your someone's neighbor, do you want to be demeaned for your accomplishments?

Andrew Ryan? Is that you? I thought you were dead!

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #75 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Kate Middleton?! What the hell has she done for anyone?

Thank you! I thought I was the only one scratching my head as to why she was even on the list.
post #76 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\

Allowing people to post mindless opinions unchallenged is basically allowing idiocracy to rule.

However, I agree that knee-jerk anger responses and name calling doesn't help. IMO, it's much better to take the high road, rationally deconstruct their viewpoints and expose the flaws in a humorous or creative way, showing them as fools in front of everyone else, all in the hope that their viewpoints aren't adopted by other people simply because no one gives a better alternative. You may not be able to change their mind, but hopefully you can prevent the spread of their ideas.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #77 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

The man didn't quietly commit suicide- that would be in line with what you said, but committed his life because he felt that was the best thing he could do - what would you have him do instead?

Yes the great nation of the USA & Plymouth rock - of course the revolution and the civil war played a big part too?

Are you suggesting that our leaders are the ones who take the easy way out and quit? Are you suggesting that the best thing this man's imagination could conceive was quit? Or is ending his life easier than working to be the best he can be? Which does our nation need quitters or self reliant, take care of themselves people?
post #78 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They give Person of the Year to whoever had the biggest effect in that year.

That's their criteria. Except they admitted themselves that Osama Bin Laden should've been Person of the Year in aught one, but they didn't like that so they ignored their only criteria.

I'll leave you to decide why they didn't do the same for Steve.


I think it was the RIGHT choice -- even though Steve has had a very positive impact.

"Protests" are going global. From the Arab World to LA Park. We are in a sea change of unrest that is just bubbling under the surface. Economic justice needs to address the growing disparities and the separation growing between power and responsibility for how that power gets used.

In "related news" methane is bubbling up in the Arctic because the warming ocean is releasing methane deposits.



Love Steve, RIP -- but the world and our future are a bit bigger than one man this year.
post #79 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.
post #80 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

A guy who sells computers and music players definitely should have won, not a bunch of whiners worrying about social justice.

Seriously, who needs social justice and human rights when there are iphones and ipads to be had.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year