or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year

Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year - Page 3

post #81 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Seriously, who needs social justice and human rights when there are iphones and ipads to be had.

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs innovations, these liberal protestors with their agenda of wanting to overthrow an oppressive regime wouldn't have the means to protest!!!
post #82 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 185
Time magazine, is largely irrelevant, but tries.

Functionally you can't feed and clothe people with hope borne out of protesting and "toppling governments". The problem of course is whether we are checking for effective impact or just media impact. Since the media pick and choose among the various subjects, this "Person of the Year" delivery is irrelevant as well.

The only way to know if the Arab Spring protests were effective is to look at where those cultures are down the road in a decade. You can't base the success of a protest solely on the immediate results, which fact is demonstrated time and again.

The French Revolution was brilliant in concept, flawed in delivery and ultimately fell prey to the darker desires of human nature. In retrospect the cost in humanity due to the inhumanity of the revolution was very high.

The American Revolution was largely a business proposition. The drivers were not the average working person, but business and land owners whose businesses and lands were subject to unrepresented controls. If you have read the documents and letters between the primary parties, you know this - not the abridged and synoptic versions captured in elementary, high school and early college textbooks.

What has OWS actually produced other than gleeful coverage by the media, on any of their purported goals? Nothing. And saying that the fact that it produces hope demonstrates it's validity is laughable. Likewise for the tired and over-used "dIf it produces real positive* and lasting change - it was a viable demonstration of the strength of protesting.

One of the downsides of protesting is in fact the increase of arbitrary police powers, excused by the establishment as a necessary response to the abuses by the protesters. From which most systems do not backdown as quickly as they implement them, resulting a general loss of freedoms, not an increase.

In any case, this is not something that is really that important where Steve Jobs is concerned.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #84 of 185
This is good journalism.

Sensationalists begone. Realists are welcomed.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #85 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

If it wasn't for Steve Jobs innovations, these liberal protestors wanting to overthrow an oppressive regime wouldn't have the means to protest!!!

Delete
post #86 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

That picture represents all protestors as much as this picture represents all Apple users:

The entire Peace Movement against the Vietnam War was condensed down to "Hippies spitting on troops." AS if there weren't a forever war that went on until the troops themselves just stopped fighting.

Now an entire movement, that is speaking out about economic corruption and the lack of judicial oversight or fairness, is condensed down to a guy relieving himself on a police car.

I'll leave the debate about the necessity for porta-potties and say that not only does one Apple fanatic not represent Apple Computers, nor does an incident where maybe SOMEONE spit on some troops, or relieved themselves NOT represent a movement -- we don't even know if they are PART of that movement.

At least with the Apple Fanatic -- there is a LOGO. But we all know that provocateurs have always been hired to provoke the police, and that homeless people who can't find a place to crap will find a place to crap.

Now, if the opposition to the Common Good in America wouldn't keep acting like Scrooge McDuck -- we couldn't say that Mitt Romney and Donald Trump aren't a good representation of selfish douche bags who want to suck the country dry and then move on to the next nation to ruin.
post #87 of 185
Quote:

You're kidding, right? RIGHT?

Give up the ghost dude, your hero is dead.

If you read my other posts in this thread you will probably find out if I am kidding or not.
post #88 of 185
Quote:

If you read my other posts in this thread you will probably find out if I am kidding or not.

post #89 of 185
Quote:

Delete

I think the two of you need to just get a room, and finish spawning the son of satan.

Other than that, it's been a thought-provoking discussion....
post #90 of 185
(crickets)

That was the sound of the current level of relevance of Time Magazine.
post #91 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

Wow... how did you get that picture of a 1 percenter crapping on the country after getting bailed out?
Love it.
post #92 of 185
Choosing the Protester is sort of odd, sort of appropriate.

But, as I have said before, choosing Jobs makes no sense. He would qualify as Man of the Decade. But 2011 was not a standout year for Jobs and Apple by their standards, except for his passing.
post #93 of 185
Note: By protesting their choice you are their choice.

post #94 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no idea why that's so funny! Oh, that's great

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #95 of 185
Next year's winner... "The Dork"
I am the Great Bug

:-P
I am the Great Bug

:-P
post #96 of 185
Quote:

Time Magazine is a politically biased piece of shit magazine with a clear agenda.

So a person like this represents the person of the year and not Steve Jobs? That tells you a lot about the morons at Time Magazine.

[/img]http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Wall-Street-patrol-car.jpg[/img]

I've said it before in a previous thread about this topic, but I was hoping that Steve Jobs didn't get person of the year, as they've already dissed him once before and their person of the year means nothing at all. It would be an insult to get person of the year from Time Magazine as they clearly have a very low criteria as to who they choose.

OK first of all, person of the year is always an opinion. If you don't like it, maybe you should go edit Time Magazine.

Secondly, do you actually read Time magazine? I don't, and therefore I can't make a judgement on its content. I hope that you actually read the magazine before calling it a piece of shit with a clear agenda. It seems like you think that Time Magazine has a political agenda just because they dissed your butt buddy Steve Jobs.

Finally, Steve Jobs' death was a big deal, but it didn't have a clear impact on the world. Occupy protesters were a big news story and still are, and it's probably the most widespread and quickest spreading protest I've ever seen, thanks to the Internet.

How could you think people protesting across the globe continuously for months against corporatism don't deserve to be recognized as the people of the year? Because these protestors have had more impact on our lives than any single person this year.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the Arab Spring. How could one single person impact the world more than protestors in Egypt and Libya?
post #97 of 185
Quote:

We have a winner folks. Shut the thread down.

Seriously awesome Sol.
post #98 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Choosing the Protester is sort of odd, sort of appropriate.

But, as I have said before, choosing Jobs makes no sense. He would qualify as Man of the Decade. But 2011 was not a standout year for Jobs and Apple by their standards, except for his passing.

Exactly. Person of the year is all about who has the most impact on the most people in the year. The Occupy protestors and especially protestors in the middle east other protest movements have been going on for months, and they spread almost instantly through the Internet and other means, and no single person could claim to have more impact this year than those people, which is why Time chose "the protestor" as the people of the year.
post #99 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

(crickets)

That was the sound of the current level of relevance of Time Magazine.

If it's so irrelevant than why are we talking about it?

The ironic thing is that Apple is the company that has been making magazines relevant again through the iPad.
post #100 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesNoodlemann View Post

Time is less than irrelevant. I might read this issue in a year or two at my doctor's office.

Predictable. Time is added to the ever-growing list of enemies of Apple. The minimization begins.
post #101 of 185
Quote:

Quite.

Anybody protesting against the status quo is Thinking Different. I am surprised at how few people here Think Different.
post #102 of 185
Quote:

Yes, I am aware that it has been done in the past also, such as the monks which you mentioned.

Call me crazy, but self-immolation seems like a pretty retarded thing to do, no matter which culture somebody may happen to belong to.

And yet self immolation is still preferable to navigating America's healthcare system.
post #103 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quite.

Anybody protesting against the status quo is Thinking Different. I am surprised at how few people here Think Different.

No doubt pax. The worst is the one that has it in their signature.

+1- Brilliantly said Sol

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #104 of 185
Ok, I'm back in this thread, since certain people can't help but having a hard on for me.

I believe in Think Different, not Think like a moron. There's a big difference between the two. And setting yourself on fire is definitely thinking like a moron.
post #105 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

PLEASE! I beg everyone... just stop responding to him! He's an idiot. I know all the responses tell him he's an idiot- but people like them (ignorant and close-minded)- their minds cannot be changed. They can only be ignored.\

Hopefully the mods see this post which I quoted as it violates the rules of this forum and it contains a personal attack.

I haven't made any personal attacks in this thread. I am not ignorant of the rules of this forum, unlike certain posters.

The poster which I quoted should receive an infraction and I would like to report them to the proper authorities.
post #106 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Time is bias and they are very far to the left. This doesn't shock me at all.

It doesn't shock me either. Most people who aren't ignorant are aware of that.
post #107 of 185
Quote:

I follow the news, and I am very well aware of what's going on.

If you watch fox news your less aware of what's going on than not watching any news.
Here's a story about their latest bs.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

They're well known for their "inaccurate" graphics.
post #108 of 185
Quote:

Hopefully the mods see this post which I quoted as it violates the rules of this forum and it contains a personal attack.

I haven't made any personal attacks in this thread. I am not ignorant of the rules of this forum, unlike certain posters.

The poster which I quoted should receive an infraction and I would like to report them to the proper authorities.

lulz.
post #109 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Ahem, FOX "News" is not real news.

Fox News is as much real news as any other news outlet, such as MSNBC or other far-left, extremist liberal stations.

And I get my news from numerous sources. As a matter of fact, I will wager that I'm vastly more informed about news events in general than you are.
post #110 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

If you watch fox news your less aware of what's going on than not watching any news.
Here's a story about their latest bs.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

They're well known for their "inaccurate" graphics.

You must be a comedian or something.

Are you seriously going to use an extremist far-left site that is more biased than Fox News to try and prove that Fox News is somehow biased?
post #111 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

"The Protester"...how bogus. I hate when Time kisses ass like this. The Person of the Year award should go to a PERSON. That should be freaking obvious. What one PERSON had a particularly noticeable influence on society? Hmm, let's see...what one person dominated media coverage this year...hmm.

Normal definition of "person": human, individual sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

Time's definition of "person": ...a person, couple, group, idea, place, or machine...

Seriously Time, if you want it to be about all these things then change the name of the award. Don't just create your own definition for a word. They're just doing this on purpose to generate publicity. It's clear manipulation and people don't like that.

Agreed. Not saying it should have gone to Steve Jobs but when they state "Citing demonstrations in the Middle East, Europe and the U.S., Time declared that "The Protester" was the single most important identity in 2011."

SINGLE... Just like "You" a couple of years ago. Meaningless...
post #112 of 185
Quote:

You must be a comedian or something.

Are you seriously going to use an extremist far-left site that is more biased than Fox News to try and prove that Fox News is somehow biased?

Fox news has a bad habit of pushing bs (and thats being generous) in their graphics. They've been caught doing it again. Are you going to claim that this report is wrong? I'm sure it's just that the facts have an anti fox bias
post #113 of 185
Quote:

Fox News is as much real news as any other news outlet, such as MSNBC or other far-left, extremist liberal stations.

That really made me laugh out loud. I consider MSNBC middle of the road. I am not sure this guy has any idea what left wing is.
post #114 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Fox news has a bad habit of pushing bs (and thats being generous) in their graphics. They've been caught doing it again. Are you going to claim that this report is wrong? I'm sure it's just that the facts have an anti fox bias

And as all informed people would know, other news outlets also push BS. If you only see faults with Fox News, then you are biased and it is you who needs a reality check. Are you unaware of the incident when MSNBC edited their news footage, as to make a black guy appear to be a white guy at a Tea Party Rally? That's just one example. There are many more, but the point is, if somebody only singles out Fox News for being biased, then they are being biased themselves.
post #115 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That really made me laugh out loud. I consider MSNBC middle of the road. I am not sure this guy has any idea what left wing is.

Then that would make you a part of a small minority, as it is widely recognized that MSNBC leans to the left. Hardly anybody watches MSNBC anyway, as nobody cares what liberal, frothing at the mouth people think. Their viewership numbers are down in the dumps compared to Fox News.

Commentators have described MSNBC as having a bias towards left-leaning politics and the Democratic Party. In November 2007, a New York Times article stated that MSNBC's prime-time lineup is tilting more to the left.[10] Washington Post media analyst Howard Kurtz has stated that the channel's evening lineup "has clearly gravitated to the left in recent years and often seems to regard itself as the antithesis of Fox News."[30] In 2011, Salon.com noted that "MSNBCs prime-time lineup is now awash in progressive politics."[61] That same year, Politico referred to MSNBC as "left-leaning."
post #116 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Bin Laden certainly deserved Person of the Year in 2001 if the Hitler did in 1938. However Hitler would not have deserved it in 1945. Harry Truman did for using nuclear weapons if nothing else. Steve Jobs' accomplishments in 2011 do not stand out above other years, although his death may have made people consider earlier accomplishments more consciously. It's not a lifetime achievement award and it's not supposed to be an honor. The Bin Laden decision was capitulation to those who incorrectly perceive it as such.

You're assuming that Hitler won in 1938 because of some positive accomplishments. Not true. By 1938 Hitler was already a ruthless dictator and a mass murderer. Time knew that, and gave him the award simply because he was the single most powerful figure on the world stage in 1938, not because he had done anything good for anyone. Picking Rudy Giuliani for 2001 made sense at the time. He was a strong and effective leader in a crisis, when America needed one.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...760539,00.html
post #117 of 185
This liberal v conservative speak is off topic and overly political for a General Discussion article.

post #118 of 185
Quote:

This liberal v conservative speak is off topic and overly political for a General Discussion article.

I bet that you only say that since I'm back in the thread now.

I remember you posting liberal propaganda earlier (the twitter picture about Fox). You made it political, but now you don't like it anymore? Don't get upset just because I am back and am able to refute all of the nonsense.
post #119 of 185
Quote:

Then that would make you a part of a small minority, as it is widely recognized that MSNBC leans to the left. Hardly anybody watches MSNBC anyway, as nobody cares what liberal, frothing at the mouth people think. Their viewership numbers are down in the dumps compared to Fox News.

Commentators have described MSNBC as having a bias towards left-leaning politics and the Democratic Party. In November 2007, a New York Times article stated that MSNBC's prime-time lineup is tilting more to the left.[10] Washington Post media analyst Howard Kurtz has stated that the channel's evening lineup "has clearly gravitated to the left in recent years and often seems to regard itself as the antithesis of Fox News."[30] In 2011, Salon.com noted that "MSNBCs prime-time lineup is now awash in progressive politics."[61] That same year, Politico referred to MSNBC as "left-leaning."

You are funny. There is a considerable difference between left leaning and far-left, extremist liberal. Baader Meinhoff, perhaps.
post #120 of 185
Quote:

So should the founding fathers not have revolted against Britain due to the uncertainty it would bring of what would happen to the colonies after they gained their freedom?

No, but Common Sense would have been incorrect had it honored The Founding Fathers in an annual award.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs loses to 'The Protester' as Time's 2011 Person of the Year