or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple allegedly planning semiconductor development center in Israel

Apple allegedly planning semiconductor development center in Israel - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smupha View Post

They didn't want war, it was brought to them from Europe & the US

*This is the parent coming into the room after overhearing the kids' conversation*

You guys better still be talking about iOS and Android, lest there be a whappin'

*taps rolling pin in palm of other hand*

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #42 of 46
For example over the last few years they have gotten patents for Flash memory technology, CPU instruction set technology and other hard technology patents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Great informative post. Thanks, especially for the punch line.

Explains why Apple might be interested in doing R&D there. I wonder if they're headed toward some basic research on things like semiconductor science. Anybody know anything?

It depends upon what you mean by semiconductor science. Apple has been getting chip technology patents for some time now. I'm not so certain that any of those patents have been put to use though.
Quote:
Maybe they're going to start something like Bell Labs or PARC now that they've arrived at a kind of hegemony.

They are already there. Think about the products they have delivered in the last few years. Especially the R&D that went into iPhone and iPad.

I suspect that they will want to focus a lot of energy on SoC technology. This technology is in effect the replacement for the printed circuit board of the Apple 2 era. Instead of innovating on the printed circuit board they will innovate by putting unique circuitry on their coming SoC.

A4 & A5 have been very interesting chips but they are far from what we night see in A6 or A7. By default they will have to innovate on the SoC to keep a material advantage over the competition.

At the electron devices level I'm not sure if there is a payoff. What is really needed is an economical 3D semiconductor technology. 3D in the sense that layers of logic can easily be built up to put a lot of functionality in one place.
post #43 of 46
The only thing Isreal is guilty of is bringing modern concepts to the middle east. Things like respect for woman. The idea that one can better themselves and their community by engaging in education and open debate.

The Arab world though still hangs onto ideas that made them the shithole of the world hundreds of years ago. Things like the rule by force, brutality towards woman, the hatred towards other cultures and religions. The list goes on and on but the reality is the Arab world is living in the dark ages. Further they are trading one sort of tyranny for another right at this moment.

This shouldn't dismiss the fact that many Arabs are trying to turn things around, but the reality is the have incredible hurdles ahead of them. The current trend of replacing monarchies and dictatorships with governments built around religion is a classic example of one step forward and two steps back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

You might think that death and destroyed lives on both sides of this conflict is funny but I do not. This issue divides opinion like few others and I think it would be a big mistake for Apple to go ahead with any such investment.

Ultimately the answer is unlimited war! The planet has become far to crowded for stragglers to be permitted the distortion ate impact they have on peace and stability. The current culture and mind set must go. If not peacefully the by unlimited outside pressure.

In any event Apples involvement in Isreal is far less of a problem than their involvement in China. The middle east is a local problem China on the other hand will lead us into another world war. It is literally the difference between millions and billions dying. So you see going to Isreal isn't much of a problem.

The bigger concern here is why either of these two places would be selected over the USA for R&D. That is the real tragedy.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

bloggerblog, right, as usual.

Gruber links today to a hair-raising MediaMatters report on some sleazy twisting of unemployment figures by a certain "news organization."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

via http://daringfireball.net/

The official unemployment figures don't include the "permanent unemployed". So the numbers coming out of Washington are woefully underreported. I've seen estimates that put the real unemployed figures in the neighborhood of 11-16%.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 46
Linux is shaping up nicely on the desktop, and I'm writing this on my TouchPad even though I have an iPad 2. If this happens I likely will quit buying Apple products and sell the ones I have left -- and there are many.

I didn't mind being a second class netizen as a Mac user because of my beef with Microsoft products, so I don't mind going through another temporary inconvenience for morality's sake.
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The official unemployment figures don't include the "permanent unemployed". So the numbers coming out of Washington are woefully underreported. I've seen estimates that put the real unemployed figures in the neighborhood of 11-16%.

For those to young to have experienced it unemployment was really bad in the early 80's. You couldn't trust government numbers back then either. I do believe Obama is far more dishonest than any president in recent memory, but fudging unemployment numbers is not unique to his presidency.

About the only real difference this time around is the ignorance demonstrated by the occupy movement.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple allegedly planning semiconductor development center in Israel