or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netflix 2.0 app refreshes iPad user interface, still lacks AirPlay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix 2.0 app refreshes iPad user interface, still lacks AirPlay

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Netflix has released its revamped user interface for iPhone and iPad after first debuting the new look for Android tablets.

Netflix 2.0

The new Netflix 2.0 app for iOS devices requires iOS 5, and supports client playback for subscribers "in all regions," including the US, Latin America and Canada.

In addition to bringing a new tablet user interface to iPad, the new version also fixes some "stability issues."

Netflix initially released its newly revamped user interface for Android tablets one month ago, which made its interface for tablets similar to its latest designs for set top boxes.

The Android release was aimed at debuting alongside the Amazon Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Nook Color, as well as "all Android tablets." Netflix promised an iPad version would follow "in the coming weeks."



The new user interface design "is much more immersive and provides greater focus on the growing number of titles in the Netflix catalog. In fact, the new interface displays twice as many movies and TV shows as before, enabling you to discover even more titles you'll love," the company stated at its original announcement.

App of all platforms, master of none

Netflix for iPhone continues to use a non-standard development build process that leaves it less responsive and accurate than truly native iOS apps, a quality issue Apple initially sought to avoid in the App Store by banning middleware development tools.

Netflix has sought to decrease its development efforts by delivering middle of the road apps that can work on more platforms, rather than custom crafting apps to specific platforms. The Netflix web app is particularly lackluster.

The new Netflix 2.0 for iOS still doesn't include support for AirPlay, Apple's wireless video distribution technology for streaming content from iOS devices to an Apple TV equipped HTDV, a feature that is unique to iOS. Native iOS apps essentially get AirPlay functionality for free.
post #2 of 36
I wonder what "non-standard" development process they are using for iPhone. Maybe Titanium (http://www.appcelerator.com).
post #3 of 36
Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?

The one scenario I can think of is going to a friends house and using your Netflix account on your mobile app through his or her AppleTV - a paltry convenience, though.
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?

A time saver. Convenience.

AirPlay is a single button on an iDevice that will start the A/V stream, but if you have it playing on, say, the iPad you'll have to grab the AppleTV remote, navigate to the Netflix option (and assuming it's already in your queue) then select that option.

Granted, I can't think of many scenarios where one might have something playing on an iPhone or iPad and then want to pop it over to a TV, but it would be nice to have it, just as it's nice to be able to do that with music and video on an iDevice when you can also access that content from the AppleTV.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

Why would we need AirPlay baked into the Netflix app, when we already have Netflix on the AppleTV itself?

I think AirPlay is going to be licensed to other companies to put into their TVs, receivers, and disc players.
post #7 of 36
I can stream Netflix to my large HD screen via ATV v2 by simply invoking mirroring in AirPlay on my iPad. The 'fill screen' option works which it didn't used to giving full HD dimensions not cropping. However, as Mercury52 points out I can use the Netflix option on the ATV anyway. It was interesting to see it works though and far better than it did prior to the update.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A time saver. Convenience.

AirPlay is a single button on an iDevice that will start the A/V stream, but if you have it playing on, say, the iPad you'll have to grab the AppleTV remote, navigate to the Netflix option (and assuming it's already in your queue) then select that option.

Granted, I can't think of many scenarios where one might have something playing on an iPhone or iPad and then want to pop it over to a TV, but it would be nice to have it, just as it's nice to be able to do that with music and video on an iDevice when you can also access that content from the AppleTV.

not to mention you can cook an egg in the middle of all those wifi waves moving around all those devices
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

not to mention you can cook an egg in the middle of all those wifi waves moving around all those devices

It's much faster to just buy the original AppleTV. That thing could cook a Thanksgiving turkey.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #10 of 36
This new Netflix version is a huge improvement over the old one.

The layout is much better now.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's much faster to just buy the original AppleTV. That thing could cook a Thanksgiving turkey.

Hey don't mock, our ATV 1 is our entire heating system in the winter here in Florida.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #12 of 36
It can’t output to AirPlay yet, but I assume it can still output (real output, not just mirroring) via a cable?
post #13 of 36
The new Netflix app is giving me issues on my iPad 2.
Pinwheels forever. Reboot and asks for login but says the login is incorrect. Deleted the app and reinstalled with the same results.

Caveat Emptor.
post #14 of 36
Netflix, anybody still using that after a million+ subscribers dumped them over their 60% price increase, less than a year after another price increase.

Everyone I know (myself included), got rid of the greedy bastards!!!
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Netflix, anybody still using that after a million+ subscribers dumped them over their 60% price increase, less than a year after another price increase.

Everyone I know (myself included), got rid of the greedy bastards!!!

There are many people like me who don't care about the DVD rental portion, and who only stream from Netflix.

I don't know of anything that's better for $8 a month.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There are many people like me who don't care about the DVD rental portion, and who only stream from Netflix.

I don't know of anything that's better for $8 a month.

All of the streaming stuff is real old..............
post #17 of 36
It's missing the "Your" playlist, I have a bunch of movies picked to watch in my list but you can't see it using the iPad app.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

All of the streaming stuff is real old..............

Yeah, it depends what somebody is interested in watching.

If somebody is looking to watch the newest TV series a week after they air, then Netflix is not for them.

I don't mind watching old stuff. I like watching good stuff, period. A lot of new stuff is terrible. Just because something is new, that doesn't make it better.

If somebody is looking to have access to every single Star Trek series (Deep Space Nine, Original Star Trek, Next Generation, Voyager), then Netflix is cool, because they have every episode of every series. They also have Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and many other series.

There are also many other good things to watch on Netflix, like documentaries, which is a category that I happen to like. But, as I mentioned, it depends on what somebody is looking to watch.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhitman View Post

It's missing the "Your" playlist, I have a bunch of movies picked to watch in my list but you can't see it using the iPad app.

If you mean the Instant Que, then that shows up fine in mine.
post #20 of 36
That is MUCH better.....
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

All of the streaming stuff is real old..............

Not much older that PPV or RedBox. I watched the Senna documentary last night, and it's only been out on BluRay for a few weeks.
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The one scenario I can think of is going to a friends house and using your Netflix account on your mobile app through his or her AppleTV - a paltry convenience, though.

He signs out, you sign in

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If you mean the Instant Que, then that shows up fine in mine.

No I'm talking about the list you create of movies you wish to view later, maybe it's called Instant Que in your country but in Canada it is called "Your List" if your viewing Netflix in your web browser.



That list is not accessible in the app.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhitman View Post

No I'm talking about the list you create of movies you wish to view later, maybe it's called Instant Que in your country but in Canada it is called "Your List" if your viewing Netflix in your web browser.

That list is not accessible in the app.

My country would be the USA.

But what does your web browser have to do with this topic? It's only about the new iPad version and that list which is called the Instant Que (in the USA at least) shows up fine in the iPad app.

It also shows up fine on my web browser too. Maybe yours is a Canada issue or something.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My country would be the USA.

But what does your web browser have to do with this topic? It's only about the new iPad version and that list which is called the Instant Que (in the USA at least) shows up fine in the iPad app.

It also shows up fine on my web browser too. Maybe yours is a Canada issue or something.

What do you mean what does it have to do with the App, they give us the ability to create a list by sorting through their collection online via a web browser on my computer and then I pickup my iPad wanting to watch one of the movies in that list and I can't see the list I think that is a huge "oh shit" mistake / bug on someones part in designing the app.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhitman View Post

What do you mean what does it have to do with the App, they give us the ability to create a list by sorting through their collection online via a web browser on my computer and then I pickup my iPad wanting to watch one of the movies in that list and I can't see the list I think that is a huge "oh shit" mistake / bug on someones part in designing the app.

Well, it must be a Canada issue or something, because here is a screenshot from my iPad. You can see where it says Instant Que, that's part of my list which I chose on my computer.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, it must be a Canada issue or something, because here is a screenshot from my iPad. You can see where it says Instant Que, that's part of my list which I chose on my computer.


Well sir my "Instant Que" / "Your List" is not showing in the IOS app on my iPad, and I see this as a bit of an issue, wouldn't you?
post #28 of 36
Kinda funny I just opened the app on my iPhone and in the bottom right it has a button called "Your List" and it works fine, however this isn't available on the iPad
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandhitman View Post

Well sir my "Instant Que" / "Your List" is not showing in the IOS app on my iPad, and I see this as a bit of an issue, wouldn't you?

Yes, hopefully Netflix Canada or whatever it's called where you are will fix it soon for you.

Look at the bright side, it's only a minor issue that I'm sure will be fixed soon enough and things could be way worse, like if the app crashed or you weren't able to see any movies at all.
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yes, hopefully Netflix Canada or whatever it's called where you are will fix it soon for you.

Look at the bright side, it's only a minor issue that I'm sure will be fixed soon enough and things could be way worse, like if the app crashed or you weren't able to see any movies at all.

True, but I have my doubts it will get fixed anytime soon, they are not known to fix their app issues all that quickly.
post #31 of 36
Maybe I've been misunderstanding what Airplay is... I could always hit the icon on the lower left to send the video from my iPad to my AppleTV in HD. Is that not it?
post #32 of 36
About time - but I have to say the iPad app is now excellent. If you have multiple people using the account, it's much easier to 'continue watching' something you might have left off a few days or weeks ago. Nice work.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Netflix, anybody still using that after a million+ subscribers dumped them over their 60% price increase, less than a year after another price increase.

Everyone I know (myself included), got rid of the greedy bastards!!!

Very dumb. I took it as the occasion to stop getting disks, just streams.
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

All of the streaming stuff is real old..............

Much of it is old but not all, they have some things from the past year.

Who else is offering a better streaming selection for $8 monthly? I'm still using the streaming and disk subscriptions because I haven't found a better option yet.
post #35 of 36
Why is there still no way to search for names on the iPad app? Since I have a streaming only account, they don't have the largest selection of movies, it would be nice to see what they do have say by Robin Williams.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Maybe I've been misunderstanding what Airplay is... I could always hit the icon on the lower left to send the video from my iPad to my AppleTV in HD. Is that not it?

Regarding iOS, there are 4 items to mention. First, there was AirPlay (audio only). Then, came AirPlay (audio/video). Later, Video Mirroring arrived. And most recently, we have AirPlay Mirroring. They are all accessed by double-clicking the home button (or swiping up with 4 or 5 fingers), and then scrolling all the way to the left; touch the AirPlay icon to open a menu of destination choices. Some apps also have a built-in AirPlay button for easy access.

AirPlay (audio only): sends sound from iOS apps (or from iTunes on your Mac) to a receiving device, such as an Apple Express or several 3rd-party speaker systems.

AirPlay (audio/video): sends audio/video from apps THAT ALLOW IT (apparently Netflix does not, not yet) wirelessly to a receiving device; the only such receiving device that currently exists is an AppleTV. The wireless connection avoids your local wireless network and instead involves direct streaming, which usually provides superior picture-and-sound quality. And whatever an app decides to send using AirPlay will be sent, and nothing more. For example, an app can use AirPlay to send a movie to an AppleTV, while not sending representations of the transport controls and other interface elements of the app, things that are visible on the iOS display.

Video Mirroring, which requires more recent Apple hardware: sends whatever is happening on an iOS device down a connected cable and into a receiving device, most likely a TV. This can drain the battery quickly, unless the iOS device is plugged into a power source while mirroring.

AirPlay Mirroring, which requires more recent Apple hardware: sends whatever is happening on an iOS device wirelessly into a receiving device; the only such receiving device that currently exists is an AppleTV. The wireless connection avoids direct streaming and instead involves your local wireless network, which may provide inferior picture-and-sound quality. Activate AirPlay Mirroring by selecting the "Mirroring" switch inside the AirPlay menu of destination choices.

If anyone has any corrections or clarifications to this summary, let me know. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Netflix 2.0 app refreshes iPad user interface, still lacks AirPlay
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netflix 2.0 app refreshes iPad user interface, still lacks AirPlay