or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Apple hires suggest improvements coming to iOS Notification Center
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Apple hires suggest improvements coming to iOS Notification Center

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
A number of recent hires at Apple suggest the company is looking to make further improvements to the Notification Center feature that debuted with the launch of iOS 5.

Jan-Michael Cart, a student at the University of Georgia and specialist in video and graphic design, was recently hired by Apple as a paid intern for the next seven months. That new addition, as noted by Ars Technica, is the latest in a series of hires that could signal further changes to the iOS Notification Center.

Cart gained fame for a series of Apple-style videos in which he created mockup demos for suggested improvements he would make to the Notification Center user interface. They include a persistent badge in the iPhone status bar showing the number of notifications, third-party widgets, and collapsible lists of notifications.

The hiring of Cart for an internship comes only months after Apple added software programmer Peter Hajas, who created his own notification user interface for jailbroken iPhones known as MobileNotifier. The MobileNotifier application, which was only available on hacked iPhones through the Cydia storefront, was downloaded nearly a quarter-million times.

And a year earlier, Apple bolstered its team by hiring Rich Dellinger, who worked as the user interface design architect at Palm for nearly four years. During his time there, he invented the webOS notification system and co-developed the application framework for the Palm Pre operating system.



Notification Center is one of the hallmark features of the iOS 5 mobile operating system update released by Apple in October. It allows users to replace the intrusive "alerts" that were used for notifications in previous versions of iOS, and replace them with a "banner" notification that appears at the top of the screen. Users can also swipe down from the top of the screen to access the Notification Center and see all of their notifications.
post #2 of 34
Unfortunately the demo video does nothing to address Notification Center's biggest shortcoming: that it's app-centric rather than time-centric. If it worked the same way the lock screen notifications do, with notifications sorted by most to least recent rather than grouped by app, it might actually be useful.
post #3 of 34
For all the flak given to Android, there is no denying that this was taken directly from Android.
post #4 of 34
Jan-Michael Cart has some excellent ideas that you can see here http://janmichaelcart.com/wp/portfolio-items/536/

I would like to see the following in the next version of iOS:

I like virtually everything Jan-Michael Cart has demonstrated so virtually anything he recommends seems likely to be advantageous

Add movies to iCloud

3D Maps integrated with Siri and including dynamic turn-by-turn navigation (see Placebase, Poly9 and C3 Technologies)

Automatic Settings profiles based on geolocation (Home: Wi-Fi enabled, 3G/4G disabled, low brightness, Bluetooth disabled)

Settings access from any screen (3G/4G data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Brightness, Location Services, Usage, Wi-Fi) perhaps in the Notification Center

Settings access via Siri (3G/4G data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Brightness, Location Services, Usage, Volume, Wi-Fi)

Siri voice recognition log-in (Me: "Good Morning, Siri" Siri: "Good Morning, MacBook Pro. Logging in for you."

Siri integration iTunes Movie Trailers

Siri integration with many more services such as OpenTable, TaxiMagic, etc. Essentially everything that Apple removed.

Siri API for third party apps (improved Yelp integration, Evernote, Facebook, Twitter, Waze, WhatsApp, etc.)


I would like improved workflow for the following:

adding contacts (see Evernote Hello and BC Reader)
exchanging contacts (see Bump)
I would like to be able use the Camera to identify a long forgotten acquaintance (search Contacts and perhaps Facebook and Twitter images as well)

improved Weather (see TheWeatherChannel app)
improved Stocks

Improve Ping and add apps, books, movies, TV Shows, websites, etc.
Allow me to customize Ping (ala iWeb?)
Add Photos to Ping
Add "groups" to Ping
Allow me to "Find my Friends" on Ping

Add sports scores and results to Notification Center (UFC!)
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

For all the flak given to Android, there is no denying that this was taken directly from Android.

Actually there is.

There are only a few limited ways to do notifications in the UI and the Android one, while first, uses the same obvious methods used by iOS. The kicker however is that the same "obvious" methods were also used by Palm before either iOS or Android which was a copy of an almost identical system used in the Newton. So it's sort of a copy, but it wasn't original or non-obvious in the first place and the first original examples of similar systems actually go back to an Apple product.

Also, if you look into the timing, you will see that it would be impossible for Apple to have copied the Android system directly and that they must have had their design almost finished before the Android one even came out. So it's more like parallel development of a very obvious idea than a copy.

So ... the whole meme about how this was "stolen" from Android is really a bunch of BS but it's so widely believed now that it might as well be true for most people.

It's not like the average person even knows about the Newton and of course the study of history (arguably the most important part of any education curriculum), has fallen into disrepute in the last 20 years anyway, so people are generally extra-ignorant nowadays.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually there is.

There are only a few limited ways to do notifications in the UI and the Android one, while first, uses the same obvious methods used by iOS. The kicker however is that the same "obvious" methods were also used by Palm before either iOS or Android which was a copy of an almost identical system used in the Newton. So it's sort of a copy, but it wasn't original or non-obvious in the first place and the first original examples of similar systems actually go back to an Apple product.

Also, if you look into the timing, you will see that it would be impossible for Apple to have copied the Android system directly and that they must have had their design almost finished before the Android one even came out. So it's more like parallel development of a very obvious idea than a copy.

So ... the whole meme about how this was "stolen" from Android is really a bunch of BS but it's so widely believed now that it might as well be true for most people.

It's not like the average person even knows about the Newton and of course the study of history (arguably the most important part of any education curriculum), has fallen into disrepute in the last 20 years anyway, so people are generally extra-ignorant nowadays.

WebOS is the best I've seen. I don't use iOS Notifications much on the iPhone, find that it can get in the way, and really hate it on the iPad.

I also wish there was a method for adjusting the brightness without being able to see what's on the screen. I'd make a demo video for my solution if I knew how to create such a video but I have zero skills in that area.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 34
I don't want to sound like an apple apologist...1. I like the notifications in iOS 5 and 2. Knowing Apple, they will only improve upon it.

Steve said, the key to being a successful tech company is one has to be 5-10 years ahead of the competition. In all but a few areas, apple, indeed, is.

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

For all the flak given to Android, there is no denying that this was taken directly from Android.

trust me...there is denying...especially here.
post #9 of 34
I love the drop down notification bar. Only Apple can create something as innovative as that.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don't want to sound like an apple apologist...1. I like the notifications in iOS 5 and 2. Knowing Apple, they will only improve upon it.

Steve said, the key to being a successful tech company is one has to be 5-10 years ahead of the competition. In all but a few areas, apple, indeed, is.


I agree with a recent article Gruber linked to about how the linen look should be only used at the back/bottom of a page, not for something that's coming over other pages.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

trust me...there is denying...especially here.

lol that made me laugh.
post #12 of 34
Palm's WebOS was the first smartphone OS with a modern notification system that we're now used to. Both Android and iOS borrowed very heavily from the WebOS ideas.
post #13 of 34
My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Unfortunately the demo video does nothing to address Notification Center's biggest shortcoming: that it's app-centric rather than time-centric. If it worked the same way the lock screen notifications do, with notifications sorted by most to least recent rather than grouped by app, it might actually be useful.

Notification Center settings has an option to display the notifications by time


Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
Reply
Summer '09 Macbook 6 GB RAM, SSD; iPhone 3GS, aTV v.2

Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Anyone who lives in me and [trusts]...
Reply
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Palm's WebOS was the first smartphone OS with a modern notification system that we're now used to. Both Android and iOS borrowed very heavily from the WebOS ideas.

Before android 4.0 what android smartphone notification borrowed heavily from WebOS?
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Of all the things I've heard that allegedly lag to the point of unusability on Android the notification tray has never been one.

I think you're bullshitting. Had you said the homescreen I'd be inclined to agree.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohelet View Post


And because your image is broken, here's the fixed version.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 34
All this fuss over notification is just beyond me.

In a way, it's all about developing and optimizing the best ways to distract people from driving, eating and otherwise functioning. It's like making sure the phone scream "use me!" as loudly as possible when it is not being used.
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

All this fuss over notification is just beyond me.

In a way, it's all about developing and optimizing the best ways to distract people from driving, eating and otherwise functioning. It's like making sure the phone scream "use me!" as loudly as possible when it is not being used.

*slow clap*

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

All this fuss over notification is just beyond me.

In a way, it's all about developing and optimizing the best ways to distract people from driving, eating and otherwise functioning. It's like making sure the phone scream "use me!" as loudly as possible when it is not being used.

The funniest thing is that I often put my iPhone into Airplane Mode when I drive.

There is a much greater sense of calm knowing that I won't be interrupted for a certain time.

95%+ of my apps capable of notifying me have notifications turned off. I've removed alerts and sounds from most of the others, with only badges turned on.

There are only a handful of apps that have full alerts, sounds, badges, plus notification center presence and viewable in the lock screen.

You can whittle notifications to something not intrusive and manageable, but you need to be judicious about what you consider important.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The funniest thing is that I often put my iPhone into Airplane Mode when I drive.

There is a much greater sense of calm knowing that I won't be interrupted for a certain time.

95%+ of my apps capable of notifying me have notifications turned off. I've removed alerts and sounds from most of the others, with only badges turned on.

There are only a handful of apps that have full alerts, sounds, badges, plus notification center presence and viewable in the lock screen.

You can whittle notifications to something not intrusive and manageable, but you need to be judicious about what you consider important.

The future could have BT4.0 or even NFC that will auto-disable/enable certain features when they within range of certain items.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

trust me...there is denying...especially here.

I usually love reading your posts, but you didn't add anything of your thoughts here...

I could easily say that Google took the new ICS folder idea right from iOS. ...And I'm sure Android proponents would say that it was just an obvious solution.

Mind you, I like to see continued development on both fronts.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The funniest thing is that I often put my iPhone into Airplane Mode when I drive.

There is a much greater sense of calm knowing that I won't be interrupted for a certain time.

95%+ of my apps capable of notifying me have notifications turned off. I've removed alerts and sounds from most of the others, with only badges turned on.

There are only a handful of apps that have full alerts, sounds, badges, plus notification center presence and viewable in the lock screen.

You can whittle notifications to something not intrusive and manageable, but you need to be judicious about what you consider important.

Are you serious?

Do you drive with no music and have ADD so you have to look at your phone every time it beeps?

No offense, but it get plenty of "notifications" while I'm driving and the radio is up or I just don't hear it over the normal car noise. Some times I hear it and think "that will have to wait". ...Because I'm driving!

????? Really?
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with a recent article Gruber linked to about how the linen look should be only used at the back/bottom of a page, not for something that's coming over other pages.

Hi Sol!

How about when you have three screens and want an app "full screen" like in Lion? The other two beautiful screens go to linen.

IMHO I think they should let them display what was already there...

You're the first person I've seen say anything about this, other than me (cursing) when I full screen something!
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Hi Sol!

How about when you have three screens and want an app "full screen" like in Lion? The other two beautiful screens go to linen.

IMHO I think they should let them display what was already there...

You're the first person I've seen say anything about this, other than me (cursing) when I full screen something!

I only use the one monitor so I haven't experienced that first hand but it sounds like a complete waste of screen real estate, a lowering of productivity, and a bug. I assume this has been submitted to Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

For all the flak given to Android, there is no denying that this was taken directly from Android.

The jailbreak community may have had this before Android and Apple hired that developer.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I usually love reading your posts, but you didn't add anything of your thoughts here...

I could easily say that Google took the new ICS folder idea right from iOS. ...And I'm sure Android proponents would say that it was just an obvious solution.

Mind you, I like to see continued development on both fronts.

They did. Obviously even. Even the auto shifting icons in folders is from iOS.

I'm a proponent of good ideas being shared/borrowed and differentiated/improved etc. Nothing exists in a void.

I bring it up here constantly because a lot of Apple proponents act like they honestly feel Apple exists in a void.

That is simply not true.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Which Android phone is it?

I ask because 9/10 of the time anything lag related is on a 2 year old Android, or an Android that they got for free as a budget deal by Metro PCS or some garbage.

And high tier phone has no lag at all. Go into any carrier store and play around with them.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I love the drop down notification bar. Only Apple can create something as innovative as that.

Hoping you're being sarcastic.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

My fiancee has an Android phone and hates the notifications. For some reason when the phone is locked and something happens...like I send a text or call her...it only sits in the status bar when she unlocks it rather than showing in a list right in front of her the moment she unlocks the phone. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that but she wishes she could see notices immediately rather than having to drag (unresponsively half the time) the status bar down to see what she missed. Most of the time I see her try at least 5 or 6 times to get that list to drag down. Kind of sad.

So, Apple got something right...whether Cupertino fired up the copy machine or not...it at least works.

Are you sure she is not trying to avoid you? From your username, this sounds like an excuse you would not question. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Of all the things I've heard that allegedly lag to the point of unusability on Android the notification tray has never been one.

I think you're bullshitting. Had you said the homescreen I'd be inclined to agree.

Wow. Bullshitting? Why would I need to bullshit? Maybe it's where she's touching and is slightly missing it or maybe the input lag is particularly bad on this phone (see below) but of all the things you could say...bullshitting? Again, I ask why would I need to? Homescreen or status bar...what does it even matter? Either way it's unacceptable.

It's like I see you root for Android all day long and then you shoot it in the foot with its own gun by saying the homescreen (among all the other alleged lag issues...you said it not me) is unusable. Not a very good cheerleader. My iPhone 4S has no touch-input lag on any element other than maybe the app management screen in Settings when I ask that it shows all apps and has to think for literally a second to load the list. No bullshitting.

Also to MaroonMushroom who asked, it's a Sony Erikson Xperia phone. Not sure how that ranks compared to the millions of other lag-happy Android phones.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Wow. Bullshitting? Why would I need to bullshit? Maybe it's where she's touching and is slightly missing it or maybe the input lag is particularly bad on this phone (see below) but of all the things you could say...bullshitting? Again, I ask why would I need to? Homescreen or status bar...what does it even matter? Either way it's unacceptable.

It's like I see you root for Android all day long and then you shoot it in the foot with its own gun by saying the homescreen (among all the other alleged lag issues...you said it not me) is unusable. Not a very good cheerleader. My iPhone 4S has no touch-input lag on any element other than maybe the app management screen in Settings when I ask that it shows all apps and has to think for literally a second to load the list. No bullshitting.

Also to MaroonMushroom who asked, it's a Sony Erikson Xperia phone. Not sure how that ranks compared to the millions of other lag-happy Android phones.

Hmmm never played with an xperia phone so benefit of the doubt and I'll apologize.

And I'm an Android fan but not a blind Android fan. There are phones that lag to the point of unusability. And all Android phones have some lag.
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Hoping you're being sarcastic.

I thought it was obvious.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Hmmm never played with an xperia phone so benefit of the doubt and I'll apologize.

And I'm an Android fan but not a blind Android fan. There are phones that lag to the point of unusability. And all Android phones have some lag.

No big deal really. I just found your post rather surprising as if you thought you could call me out on some major mind-blowing lie. Like I said, maybe it's all in how and where she's touching the screen but either way the interface is far from fluid on that phone.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Apple hires suggest improvements coming to iOS Notification Center