or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung says Apple lawsuits have put its Galaxy Tab on the map

Samsung says Apple lawsuits have put its Galaxy Tab on the map

post #1 of 135
Samsung officials have credited Apple's lawsuits for attracting attention to its Galaxy Tab lineup, while a new advertisement is portraying the device as "the tablet Apple tried to stop."

The head of Samsung Australia's mobile division told The Sydney Morning Herald this week that Apple's lawsuits attempting to block the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 have made the product a "household name." The recently overturned injunction against the touchscreen tablet will officially end this Friday, when the Galaxy Tab 10.1 goes on sale in Australia.

"At the end of the day the media awareness certainly made the Galaxy Tab 10.1 a household name compared to probably what it would've been based on the investment that we would've put into it from a marketing perspective," said Typer McGee, Samsung Australia vice president of telecommunications.

Samsung has even gone a step further in attempt to turn Apple's legal action against it, taking out an advertisement in The Sun-Herald captured by Twitter User Martin Aungle (via Engadget). The ad boasts that the Galaxy Tab is "the tablet Apple tried to stop," adding the slogan: "It's time to Tab."

It isn't the first time Samsung has attempted to call out Apple in an advertisement. Last month, the company promoted its new Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone by mocking customers who wait in line for Apple's new iPhone models.

To overcome another injunction barring sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, Samsung redesigned the device to bypass claims of patent infringement by Apple. The new model, known as the Galaxy Tab 10.1N, attempts to avoid design-related intellectual property owned by Apple.

As for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that will be released in Australia on Friday, McGee said the device has not been changed for the worse as a result of Apple's patent infringement claims. "If you look at the specs of the device, they're identical to the global device that's available out there," he said.

Apple made the first attack in the courtroom against Samsung in April, with a lawsuit accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. That sparked a worldwide legal battle in which both companies have accused the other of patent infringement.
post #2 of 135
Quote:
The ad boasts that the Galaxy Tab is "the tablet Apple tried to stop,"

I was just joking, Samsung You didn't have to use my slogan.

Actually, I didn't give you leave to use my slogan. Lawsuit time?
post #3 of 135
From now one, all tablets should look like this if they are non-Apple.

post #4 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung officials have credited Apple's lawsuits for attracting attention to its Galaxy Tab lineup, while a new advertisement is portraying the device as "the tablet Apple tried to stop.

They are correct. Before this stuff started, I didn't think anything specific about the Galaxy Tab. They just were part of an undifferentiated whole of various Android Tablets.

But now, I went to Best Buy, and I noticed the Sammy specifically. And I noticed the Tab 8.9, with its perfect size.

Smart of Samsung to turn lemons into lemonade.
post #5 of 135
So Samsung is now advertising for Apple? Kinda reminds me of political advertising. They blow the whole thing out of context to make themselves look good. It will appeal to people who are already Samsung die-hard fans and everyone else will see it for what it is. This reminds me of the of the recent political ads in Wisconsin that show teachers being *for* pay cuts and union busting. It is really pretty ridiculous and only the far right actually believes the nonsense.
post #6 of 135
The Galaxy Tab - "The tablet that nobody wants to buy"
post #7 of 135
You have to give Samsung credit...they are really "all in" with this. At the end of the day it comes down to this:

1) Samsung clearly copied the look and feel of the iPad and iPhone.
2) Samsung is very likely guilty of infringing on several patents in this regard.
3) Regardless of Apple's ability to stop these products from being sold legally, the iPad and iPhone will continue to dominate.

Another thought....the first thing that occurred to me when I read this headline was "it sounds like Samsung knows they are going to lose something big soon." Just a hunch....
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #8 of 135
It did get them lots of free publicity.

On the phone side, I dont know there phone sales numbers but I sure see lots of people buying samsung phones here in Montreal. I wouldn't be suprise if they are the biggest android phone seller.

Apple need to come up with a bigger/thinner/lighter phone soon because its clearly loosing sales here. But the smartphone market is in such a boom that Apple will still break there own sales numbers in Q4.
post #9 of 135
In related news Jeffery Dahmer makes name for himself by stealing the lives of 17 men and boys. Sure, you can get known, but I doubt the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true when trying to sell a product. That said, if they turn a profit stealing from their betters then so be it. That's the way the game works.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #10 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

It did get them lots of free publicity.

On the phone side, I dont know there phone sales numbers but I sure see lots of people buying samsung phones here in Montreal. I wouldn't be suprise if they are the biggest android phone seller.

Who cares?

Quote:

Apple need to come up with a bigger/thinner/lighter phone soon because its clearly loosing sales here. But the smartphone market is in such a boom that Apple will still break there own sales numbers in Q4.

You mean based on your own completely useless anecdotal evidence gathered in your neighborhood? Apple is not "loosing" sales [sic], nor do they "need" to release anything like that. No one is looking at an iPhone and saying "gee, I wish it was bigger, thinner, and lighter."
post #11 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

From now one, all tablets should look like this if they are non-Apple.

That episode came out a few weeks after I made this:

COINCIDENCE?!
post #12 of 135
Right, like how Pac-Man put K.C. Munchkin on the map.
post #13 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Who cares?

You mean based on your own completely useless anecdotal evidence gathered in your neighborhood? Apple is not "loosing" sales [sic], nor do they "need" to release anything like that. No one is looking at an iPhone and saying "gee, I wish it was bigger, thinner, and lighter."

Amen.
post #14 of 135
Quote:

Owners might not be saying that but I would guess that there are a lot of people who would get hooked into buying a phone because it is bigger (not sure about thinner or lighter).

So Apple would gain customers with such a phone, imo.

I don't think gains could be viewed as a bad thing.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #15 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

image: http://i.imgur.com/pFDdO.png

COINCIDENCE?!

They probably made the episode months earlier so most likely, but you can still get points for originality as well for a great name, Triab.

post #16 of 135
Yes it has put them on the map. As copy cats, IP violaters, tongue forked executives. Yep it certainly has put them on the map.
post #17 of 135
Quote:

COINCIDENCE?!

Maybe, but those episodes are filmed about 4-6 weeks prior to airing.
post #18 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think that marketshare is everything. Apple is never going to have a greater marketshare than Android now, when it comes to phones, as a fine steakhouse is never going to sell more hamburgers than a McDonald's does. And that's ok.
post #19 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In related news Jeffery Dahmer makes name for himself by stealing the lives of 17 men and boys. Sure, you can get known, but I doubt the old adage of "Any publicity is good publicity" doesn't hold true when trying to sell a product. That said, if they turn a profit stealing from their betters then so be it. That's the way the game works.

In one case we have a serial killer cannibal. In the other we have one company just trying to do business and exploiting the attacks of its competitor. Your analogy is totally appropriate, classy and accurate.
post #20 of 135
lol

Samsung is now acting like the now-destroyed Psystar!
post #21 of 135
Quote:

Who cares?

Has an AAPL stock owner I care a lot.

Quote:

Samsung did sold MORE smarthphones than Apple in Q3. And they are not dumping them at cost, they are making big $$ on them. Maybe they copied Apple design, but it sure is working for them.
post #22 of 135
Quote:

Owners might not be saying that but I would guess that there are a lot of people who would get hooked into buying a phone because it is bigger (not sure about thinner or lighter).

Agreed, while noting that even some pretty active Apple-owning forum members here have mentioned they'd appreciate a bit larger display, especially if it didn't significantly increase the overall size of the phone.

On the Samsung Aussie ad, MacRumors comment is probably pretty accurate IMHO on what Samsung is trying to portray with it, saying "Samsung is seeking to tie its advertising to the lawsuit and portray the tablet device as so significant a threat that Apple felt the need to prevent it from going on sale."
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #23 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

In one case we have a serial killer cannibal. In the other we have one company just trying to do business and exploiting the attacks of its competitor. Your analogy is totally appropriate, classy and accurate.

At least Jeffrey Dahmer didn't steal anybody's IP.
post #24 of 135
Quote:

COINCIDENCE?!

You're in the big leagues!
post #25 of 135
Quote:

... people who would get hooked into buying a phone because it is bigger (not sure about thinner or lighter).

They are much lighter and thinner, but the drawback is its all plastic. No glass or metal frames like the iphone. And they are coming in with full HD resolution now, beating the iphone retina display in terms of pixel density.

Apple does have the best "intergration", feature and ease of use. But imo they have lost there edge in hardware.
post #26 of 135
Quote:

They are much lighter and thinner, but the drawback is its all plastic. No glass or metal frames like the iphone. And they are coming in with full HD resolution now, beating the iphone retina display in terms of pixel density.

Apple does have the best "intergration", feature and ease of use. But imo they have lost there edge in hardware.

They haven't lost their edge in hardware. Apple isn't a spec chaser. Apple decided that what they have at present is good enough and, so far, they have been proven more than correct.

When Apple decides to release something different then they will.

It aint about losing one's edge. It's a matter of choice.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #27 of 135
Quote:

They would also be losing customers who don't want extra bulk, and fragment the developer community, (as with Android.)
If I want a big screen experience, that's what my iPad is for.
Do it right or not at all.
post #28 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that marketshare is everything. Apple is never going to have a greater marketshare than Android now, when it comes to phones, as a fine steakhouse is never going to sell more hamburgers than a McDonald's does. And that's ok.

I still don't think that gains could be viewed as a bad thing.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #29 of 135
Quote:

And Android phones still suck and I will prove why.

Sonic CD just came out, for both Android and iOS. Let's take a look at the ratings from each. Does that tell you anything? Any smart person should be able to look at these two images and notice a vast difference between the two.

ANDROID

iOS

How could that be? What could possibly explain why there is such a huge difference in ratings for the same exact game? Hmmm, I wonder why that it is.

The Apple people all seem to be happy and they're loving it. The Fandroid people are a bunch of miserable slobs who are all unhappy people for some strange reason. All those people with different devices and a million different phones, and half of them are having huge problems!

Somebody even had a Galaxy Note on there, and they were complaining about a shitty framerate!

Who cares about a bigger phone when everything sucks on it!
post #30 of 135
Samsung is embarrassing.

They have absolutely no charisma so I'm really not surprised that they have resorted to these antics.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #31 of 135
I disagree. No one knows about the Galaxy Tab outside of the tech world. The two devices that stand out are the iPad and the Kindle Fire.
post #32 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

They would also be losing customers who don't want extra bulk, and fragment the developer community, (as with Android.)
If I want a big screen experience, that's what my iPad is for.
Do it right or not at all.

Really?! You're going with that?

You're telling me that Apple couldn't produce a 4" phone that is elegant and without a bulky feeling?

Really?
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 135
Quote:

They haven't lost their edge in hardware. Apple isn't a spec chaser. Apple decided that what they have at present is good enough...

I don't think its about 'good enough'. That is absolutely not what Apple is about.
Its about 'optimal', and eschewing change for the sake of change.
post #34 of 135
I wonder how many will flip past the page - see the photo and "Apple" and think - ooh that's an iPad, I have been meaning to look at those.

Or, hmm, if this product is similar to an iPad, maybe I had better check out the iPad before I decide to spend my $.
post #35 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I don't think its about 'good enough'. That is absolutely not what Apple is about.
Its about 'optimal', and eschewing change for the sake of change.

... and that's exactly what my post says.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #36 of 135
Quote:

Please stop.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about and it's kind of embarrassing to read.

1) It captures video in "full HD" but the display is actually a lower resolution than the iPhone by far.
2) The only reason Android phones are bigger than iPhones, is that it's the only way they can fit al the hardware in and still make it thin. If they stuck with a 4.3" screen the average Android phone would be an inch thick.

The truth is that Apple's hardware in the 4s beats every phone out there in terms of camera quality, speed, battery life, screen, volume, sound quality, etc. etc. There is no better.
post #37 of 135
Adverts like this always baffle me. Especially given the circumstances.

I think Samsung have seen that they have managed to gain an inch over Apple in all the cases, and they're trying to take the mile. I don't know why, but I get the feeling Samsung being extremely over-confident and cocky like this will only end badly. Weather it'll end in a deflated ego or worse remains to be seen.

Just my 2 cents.

... at night.

... at night.

post #38 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Please stop.

You don't seem to know what you are talking about and it's kind of embarrassing to read.

1) It captures video in "full HD" but the display is actually a lower resolution than the iPhone by far.
2) The only reason Android phones are bigger than iPhones, is that it's the only way they can fit al the hardware in and still make it thin. If they stuck with a 4.3" screen the average Android phone would be an inch thick.

The truth is that Apple's hardware in the 4s beats every phone out there in terms of camera quality, speed, battery life, screen, volume, sound quality, etc. etc. There is no better.

I love my iPhone but its on par with other top end phones. As much as I hate to admit it, the Galaxy S2 is the best phone on the market right now hardware wise.

... at night.

... at night.

post #39 of 135
It might work.
post #40 of 135
I've looked at one of these in a shop and I still don't get where the argument that they copied the iPad comes from. Even when there turned off they look completely different, but whenever you see them there turned on and then they look nothing like each other.

Sadly for Samsung though when there turned on the Android UI just looks awful.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung says Apple lawsuits have put its Galaxy Tab on the map