or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ramps up A5 production in Texas; iOS 5.0.1 tweak may aid Siri ports

Samsung ramps up A5 production in Texas; iOS 5.0.1 tweak may aid Siri ports

post #1 of 43
Samsung began full-scale production of Apple's A5 processor at a new facility in Austin, Texas, this month, while hackers are claiming that Apple's recent tweaks to iOS 5.0.1 could open up legal ways to port the Siri voice assistant feature to other iOS devices.

A5 in Texas

Reuters reports that Apple's South Korean component supplier reached full production at its 1.6 million square-foot factory earlier this month. Though Samsung reportedly began producing A5 processors at the plant earlier in the year, the company only recently reached full capacity.

"Nearly all of the output of the non-memory chip production from the factoryis dedicated to producing Apple chips," a source told the publication.

Samsung already produced NAND Flash memory chips at the facility. The report claims the new production line cost $3.6 billion to build, while the company's total investment in Texas amounts to roughly $9 billion. Samsung's only other non-memory logic chip factory is located in South Korea.

A Samsung spokeswoman told Reuters that 1,100 jobs had been added for the new production line, which can generate up to 40,000 silicon wafers a month.

Apple introduced the A5 chip with the iPad 2 in March, eventually adding it to its iPhone line with the release of the iPhone 4S in October. The chip reportedly cost $25 to build, though volume production is believed to have brought the price down to around $15, roughly in line with prices of competing chips.

Rumors had suggested that Apple would transition away from dealing with Samsung because its relationship with the company had soured. Though Apple is set to become Samsung's biggest component customer this year, it is also locked in a fierce legal battle with the company over patents related to smartphones and tablets. However, Apple has reportedly signed deals for the next-generation A6 processor, believed to be a quad-core model, with both Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. and Samsung.

iOS 5.0.1 and Siri

Recent changes to iOS 5.0.1 by Apple may have paved the way for a fully legal port of Siri from the iPhone 4S to other devices, Cult of Mac reports. The Cupertino, Calif., company quietly updated iOS 5.0.1 to build 9A406 without specifying what changes had been made.

Well-known jailbreak hacker MuscleNerd revealed on Thursday that the update allowed a user to collect the files needed for a Siri port without having to break Apple's copyright, the report noted.

"Its the first public 4S ipsw where the main filesystem keys are obtainable (due to non-encrypted ramdisks), he said.

But, given that Siri requires communication with Apple's servers to function, it's not immediately clear whether a port of the virtual voice assistant would fit within all applicable terms of service and license agreements for the device in question.

A number of members of the jailbreak community have been hard at work trying to port Siri to other devices. In late October, two hackers claimed to have gotten a limited functionality version of Siri working on a jailbroken iPhone 4 and iPod touch. Doing so, however, required custom information from an iPhone 4S device. Also, Apple has warned that jailbreaking an iOS device may void its warranty.

Apple released Siri as an exclusive feature for the iPhone 4S after acquiring the app last April. The Siri team has since grown to become one of the largest development teams at the company.

Full Siri functionality may also require minor hardware modifications. A teardown of the iPhone 4S revealed that the proximity sensor on the handset has a new infrared component built to work with Siri's raise-to-speak feature.
post #2 of 43
Small government = low taxes.
Low taxes = business investment (Samsung!).
Business investment = jobs.

Go Texas!
post #3 of 43
Never mind I jumped the gun

... at night.

... at night.

post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Go Texas!

You write like a Jerry Lewis telethon poster child for the GOP.

Low Taxes do not == business investment.

The US is at an historical low in Business Taxes going back 50+ years and we also are at a low in domestic business investment.

Non-linear dynamic market analysis where bifurcations occur through the advent of exploiting 3rd world nations economic weaknesses occurs irrespective of the tax levels for businesses in a mature, economically strong world power.
post #5 of 43
Quote:

Go Texas!

Couldn't bring yourself to say 'Go Samsung', could you.
post #6 of 43
Great ! cheap factory to be bought by Apple when its main customer Apple will stop buying the production, thereby making the factory of no interest ... except for Apple ...
post #7 of 43
How long till A5 clones start showing up in Samsung products?
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Great ! cheap factory to be bought by Apple when its main customer Apple will stop buying the production, thereby making the factory of no interest ... except for Apple ...

With people already complaining that too much of hi tech production is outsourced to developing economies, it may be a bit of a PR bonus for Apple to be helping create US based jobs. Pulling out of this as long as A5s are still being used may be a PR disater in the making. I think it is in Apple's best interest to use the Texas factory for this product as long as possible.

If Apple want to eliminate Samsung parts from their products better to start elsewhere.
post #9 of 43
Anyone else thinking there is a chance the A5 will be in the iPad 3?
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

And you know this will happen how?

Leave the business speculation to the adults. Seriously.
post #11 of 43
Since I got my new iPhone 4S some days ago, I've been really frustrated with the signal problems, no sim card or invalid sim card errors, to the point I was going to return it to the US for a replacement, and I live in Colombia, South America, so for me returning an iPhone is a painfully process, it can take like a month or two and I have to pay the shipment costs. Yesterday I read about this new iOS 5.0.1 build so I thought maybe this was the last chance to get a fix for the problem that basically make my iPhone an iPod. I did a full restore downloading the complete 5.0.1 firmware from iTunes, no OTA updates or anything like that. Then I restored the iPhone from my backup, and for my surprise all the problems disappeared. Now it is working perfectly. I don't know if it has to do with this new 5.0.1 build but for me was the ultimate solution, now my iPod 4S is again an iPhone 4S.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Well it is in the ipad2 so either it is still in the ipad3 or something better
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #13 of 43
Given Siri is server side technology I would think Apple have ways of deciding what hardware will gain access regardless of hackers porting it to non supported devices. If another device works it is only because Apple haven't (yet) closed off that device's access surely?

Regarding A5 .... where is the speculation of an A6 in iPad 3? Meanwhile I am surprised Apple continue such developments with Samsung. The way that partnership is going I wouldn't hold out for a very long term relationship.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given Siri is server side technology I would think Apple have ways of deciding what hardware will gain access regardless of hackers porting it to non supported devices. If another device works it is only because Apple haven't (yet) closed off that device's access surely?

Regarding A5 .... where is the speculation of an A6 in iPad 3? Meanwhile I am surprised Apple continue such developments with Samsung. The way that partnership is going I wouldn't hold out for a very long term relationship.

I believe that to be the case. Logically, it makes the most sense.

... at night.

... at night.

post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It seems that the geek world is constantly wanting more processing power, faster speeds, more Ram, better GPU. But all this comes at a price ... it all takes more power, and battery life falls off quickly. In the mobile world, battery life is a major issue.

My opinion is that the quad core of A6 has merit on a small die size as that is also power saving. Also 4s is being hyped at 200 million ... that's lots of A5 chips. iPad2 is not going to go away anytime soon either. The future is in software and SIRI ... just watch and wait
post #16 of 43
Why can't Apple outsource the chip production to a US based company like IBM or Intel? After all Samsung is building the chips in the US anyway. Allowing Samsung to build proprietary chips just gives them an insight into Apple's technology, IPRs, etc. Samsung is more than willing to rip off Apple's tech as we have seen.

Doing biz with Samsung even with commodity products allowed them to achieve economies of scale with Apple as a customer. Then Samsung can produce components for its pirated products at a minimal incremental cost.

Need multiple suppliers diversified geographically and politically. Same with assembly.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

It seems that the geek world is constantly wanting more processing power, faster speeds, more Ram, better GPU. But all this comes at a price ... it all takes more power, and battery life falls off quickly. In the mobile world, battery life is a major issue.

My opinion is that the quad core of A6 has merit on a small die size as that is also power saving. Also 4s is being hyped at 200 million ... that's lots of A5 chips. iPad2 is not going to go away anytime soon either. The future is in software and SIRI ... just watch and wait

since when is battery life a major issue where Apple is concerned? They out do the entire electronics industry on battery life and that remains true generation after generation. The 4S has the best battery life of any iPhone yet (despite the wild fantasies of a few irritating bloggers), and the iPad is simply ridiculous.

The A6 powered devices of 2012 will be twice as fast as what we own now, with higher resolution displays, and as good or better battery life. How's that for awesome?
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Why can't Apple outsource the chip production to a US based company like IBM or Intel? After all Samsung is building the chips in the US anyway. Allowing Samsung to build proprietary chips just gives them an insight into Apple's technology, IPRs, etc. Samsung is more than willing to rip off Apple's tech as we have seen.

Doing biz with Samsung even with commodity products allowed them to achieve economies of scale with Apple as a customer. Then Samsung can produce components for its pirated products at a minimal incremental cost.

Need multiple suppliers diversified geographically and politically. Same with assembly.

Errr.....

Intel manufacture in India.
IBM... do they still make stuff? If they do it'll be in China or Korea.

... at night.

... at night.

post #19 of 43
You know the mentioned 3.6B for the cost of the factory is awful close to the 3.9B "strategic investments" Cook spoke of earlier this year. Maybe this is what he was talking about.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung began full-scale production of Apple's A5 processor at a new facility in Austin, Texas, this month,

If Samsung thinks that Texas is a good place to build a factory, why does Apple use Chinese slave labor?

C'mon Apple! America has given you everything. Stop treating America like dogshit!
post #21 of 43
Quote:

Why can't Apple outsource the chip production to a US based company like IBM or Intel?

Because all that Apple cares about is money.
post #22 of 43
While this is a nice step toward fractional "made in the USA", it's creating jobs here, but still sending money out of the country. Why is it that an Asian company can figure out how to manufacture here but American companies cannot?
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Errr.....

Intel manufacture in India.
IBM... do they still make stuff? If they do it'll be in China or Korea.

Google "IBM Fishkill" for some reality.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

While this is a nice step toward fractional "made in the USA", it's creating jobs here, but still sending money out of the country. Why is it that an Asian company can figure out how to manufacture here but American companies cannot?

That one is actually pretty simple. There are shipping, tax, and import duty incentives for foreign firms to build here just as there are for Apple in other countries. The difference comes not in parts but in assembly which can be done more cheaply in low-wage countries like China and Brazil.

Chip manufacture on the other hand is skill and capital intensive. Foreign companies can take advantage of highly skilled workers and engineers experienced in building an operating fabs. Also Intel does fab here.
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Or, we could just be speculating if they were actually going to stick the A5 in the iPad 3.

Or, Apple themselves pimp out their processor making it seem that the latest and greatest is important.

Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You write like a Jerry Lewis telethon poster child for the GOP.

Low Taxes do not == business investment.

The US is at an historical low in Business Taxes going back 50+ years and we also are at a low in domestic business investment.

Non-linear dynamic market analysis where bifurcations occur through the advent of exploiting 3rd world nations economic weaknesses occurs irrespective of the tax levels for businesses in a mature, economically strong world power.

I disagree, I think it's a centrist position that taxes effect business investment.

The PWC/World Bank "Paying Taxes" report (which is a straight shooting, by the numbers, report they do every year) shows the US currently at ranks 131 in the world according to their methodology (which adds tax rate to compliance time taken). It is the relative position in the world that businesses take in to account when deciding where to invest, not the historical rates.

The ranking table is on page 124, and their references as to why taxes effect business investment is on pages 11 and 12.

"Research looking at multinational firms decisions on where to invest suggests that a one percentage point increase in the statutory corporate income tax rate would reduce the local profits from existing investment by 1.3% on average. A one percentage point increase in the effective corporate income tax rate reduces the likelihood of establishing a subsidiary in an economy by 2.9%."
http://www.doingbusiness.org/reports.../paying-taxes/
post #27 of 43
Had a reply. Blew it. Never mind.
Just another transplanted nobody!
Just another transplanted nobody!
post #28 of 43
Quote:

You realize that going to quadcore will increase die size by a ton, right? And Siri doesn't even need the A5 processor. Much less a quadcore.
One thing was true though - the future is in software.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

How long till A5 clones start showing up in Samsung products?

Interesting business plan, that. But logically shouldn't we see some A4 clones first, considering how Samsung has manufactured A4s and A5s from the start? They are mighty slow with this "cloning" thing.

Then there's the little issue that Samsung's own Exynos SOCs are stronger, more efficient, and have a better CPU/GPU balance for running Android than the A5 does. But hey, maybe if Samsung's dog eats the blueprints for the last two Exynos models and the next-gen part projected for mid-2012, cloning the A5 would come in handy so they could at least produce some midrange phones while re-inventing the high end stuff.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

You realize that going to quadcore will increase die size by a ton, right? And Siri doesn't even need the A5 processor. Much less a quadcore.
One thing was true though - the future is in software.

The A5 is built on a 45nm process. The Tegra 3 is built on a 40nm process. The A9 and A15 are both using a 32nm process. Going from 45nm to 32nm will save a ton of space and you can probably put 4 cores in the same space as you had dual in before.
post #31 of 43
Quote:

I thought Taiwan's TSMC won the chip contract for the next-generation A6 chips. Wonder how that is going?
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Then there's the little issue that Samsung's own Exynos SOCs are stronger, more efficient, and have a better CPU/GPU balance for running Android than the A5 does.

Very interesting, but also very wrong. Check some benchmarks. The 4S (which is powered by the A5) blows the Exynos 4210 (powering the Galaxy S 2) out of the water.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...i-droid-bionic
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Very interesting, but also very wrong. Check some benchmarks. The 4S (which is powered by the A5) blows the Exynos 4210 (powering the Galaxy S 2) out of the water.

1) It's staggering that these Android-based devices can have 50% more processing clock speed with the same architecture and yet still not best the iPhone much less be even close to 50% faster.

2) I'm guessing Apple's investment in ImgTech is giving them a lot of pull because even nearly a year later they are using much inferior GPUs, something that Android really has needed for their UI.

3) One thing that doesn't get mentioned because it's complex and isn't mentionable on a consumer spec sheet is RAM type and channel width. The iPhone 4S seems to have stepped this up over the 4, but I haven't read of other smartphones upping thier game on the system.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It's staggering that these Android-based devices can have 50% more processing clock speed with the same architecture and yet still not best the iPhone much less be even close to 50% faster.

2) I'm guessing Apple's investment in ImgTech is giving them a lot of pull because even nearly a year later they are using much inferior GPUs, something that Android really has needed for their UI.

3) One thing that doesn't get mentioned because it's complex and isn't mentionable on a consumer spec sheet is RAM type and channel width. The iPhone 4S seems to have stepped this up over the 4, but I haven't read of other smartphones upping thier game on the system.

I'm waiting for an Android supporter to mention that until ICS hits the phones, Android won't make use of more than 1 core. Of course, what marginal fraction of current phones can even upgrade to ICS if you root them due to requirements and what even smaller portion of phones will get OTA updates to it?
post #35 of 43
Quote:

I'm waiting for an Android supporter to mention that until ICS hits the phones, Android won't make use of more than 1 core. Of course, what marginal fraction of current phones can even upgrade to ICS if you root them due to requirements and what even smaller portion of phones will get OTA updates to it?

The Nexus S released last year starts getting ICS today. That's much sooner than I expected considering the timeframes other vendors have stated.

post #36 of 43
Quote:

Go Texas!

Texas provided Samsung essentially 233 million worth of public incentives that other american based businesses are not getting. For that 233 million worth of incentives, Texas has said, but is not obligated, to bring about a 1000 jobs to Texas. This represents about 50 million worth of wages a year to Texas. However, individual or corporate wages are not taxed in Texas. So essentially Texas paid Samsung about 233 million to move to Texas, and will never recoup the money. Smart. Not.
post #37 of 43
Quote:

Few American companies manufacture overseas either. They hire other companies like Samsung or Foxconn to manufacture. This includes Apple. Foreign companies also have an advantage over American manufactures already here because they often can talk local governments into paying for the building of the facilities like Samsung did here. In a place like Texas, I doubt the government ever sees any of the public money back.

The US could motivate more manufacturing here without local taxpayers subsidizing the building of the facilities simply by doing away with the so called Free Trade Agreements, which really aren't free.
post #38 of 43
At least something is BUILT in America, by no other than Samsung.

Which has had its manufacturing plant at Austin since 1996 ( for 15 years ).

Hey Apple, learn a few things from Samsung.

Quote:

Because American companies are greedy.

Samsung built this plant WAY back in 1996 ( 15 years ago) even before all this craze about "smartphones".

They could've built it anywhere in the world. But why choose the highest wage paying nation (USA) to build its sprawling manufacturing plant in Austin, Texas just shows how much faith a Korean company has in the US economy.

Obviously, companies like Apple (greedy) dont have much faith in the US economy, enough to outsource ALL of its manufacturing to foreign countries (COMMUNIST COUNTRIES no less) with one of the lowest paying wage jobs around.

It's called corporate citizenship, building things in the places where you sell them; something that Apple certainly lacks.

American companies should be ashamed how "foreign" companies are helping the growth of US GDP by building plants in the US while they are busy sending off jobs to distant foreign countries and in turn building up THEIR GDP; all in the name of cutting costs and improving their own bottom line (greedy).

"Buy American" right? Right?

As an UT Austin grad, I have many friends who work at that plant. Its a huge part of the Austin economy and was big news back when they started building the plant and speculating how much it would contribute to Austin's economy. There are many joint research programs with Samsung in the engineering building at school and an extensive internship program at the plant. Almost half of the graduating EE majors applied for positions there at the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Texas provided Samsung essentially 233 million worth of public incentives that other american based businesses are not getting. For that 233 million worth of incentives, Texas has said, but is not obligated, to bring about a 1000 jobs to Texas. This represents about 50 million worth of wages a year to Texas. However, individual or corporate wages are not taxed in Texas. So essentially Texas paid Samsung about 233 million to move to Texas, and will never recoup the money. Smart. Not.

Austin has recouped all of its payments in the past 10 years.

What has Apple done for Austin? Just that customer service center.

Are you trying to say any investment in Texas is a bad investment? Any investment in USA is a bad investment?

Come to Texas and see for yourself how much this plant has contributed to the local economy.

Before you do that, please watch what you say.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #39 of 43
Quote:

Nope. That's a GPU benchmark and largely irrelevant as Android doesn't care much about the GPU. The 4210's Mali-400, being the second fastest currently deployed mobile GPU, is more than enough for Samsung's purposes. Far as I know, 4210 slightly bests the A5 on integer workloads. The die-shrunk 4212, on the other hand, is a large iterative improvement in both performance and efficiency over 4210 / A5 class of parts and is ready to go now. The 2012 part goes to A15 core and packs a lot of GPU so it's a huge jump forward and apparently primarily a tablet chip.
post #40 of 43
Quote:

Go Texas!

Drought = no water. No water = terrible standard of living, if at all.

Me stay in CA with high taxes.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung ramps up A5 production in Texas; iOS 5.0.1 tweak may aid Siri ports
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ramps up A5 production in Texas; iOS 5.0.1 tweak may aid Siri ports