or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sues Apple over 4 new patents, but backs off iPhone 4S complaint

Samsung sues Apple over 4 new patents, but backs off iPhone 4S complaint

post #1 of 76
Samsung has added four new patents to its lawsuit against Apple in Germany, but has backed off of a complaint related to baseband chips in the iPhone 4S.

The handful of changes to the legal spat between Apple and Samsung in Germany took place in Mannheim Regional Court on Friday. Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents was on-hand for the proceedings, and provided a rundown of what transpired.

Samsung has now added four more patents and two new law firms to its complaints first filed this April in Germany. Those patents are:
European Patent 1679803: "Method for configuring gain factors for uplink service in radio telecommunication system"
European Patent 1720373 (B1): "Method and apparatus for reporting inter-frequency measurement using RACH message in a communication system"
Deutsches Patent 10040386: "Speech output device for data displayed on mobile telephone converts data from display into speech data for output via loudspeaker"
European Patent 1215867: "Emoticon input method for mobile terminal"
The latest patent relates to text input for a "smiley" emoticon, created by typing ":-)" on a device. As noted by Mueller, "Smiley or not, patents are serious business."

"I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decided to respond to this escalation by bringing several additional patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung in Germany," he said. "Since Apple already has six lawsuits going against Samsung in Mannheim, it might start a few new ones in Munich."

Samsung also said on Friday that it does not request a ruling with Apple products that utilize Qualcomm baseband chips. That applies to the iPhone 4S, which is the only Apple product to date using a Qualcomm baseband chip.

While some initially felt this meant Samsung was conceding its attacks against the iPhone 4S, Mueller said that Samsung "did not waive its rights with respect to baseband patent assertions against the iPhone 4S in general." Friday's decision was portrayed as a "tactical move" that would "streamline" the lawsuit that was discussed in court.

Still, Mueller said it's most likely that Samsung made the decision because last week a French court denied Samsung's request to ban sales of the iPhone 4S. In that case, the judge found that Apple was covered because Qualcomm, which makes the baseband chip in the iPhone 4S, licenses the patents-in-question from Samsung.

Of course, the matters discussed Friday are only a few of the numerous legal battles between Samsung and Apple across the globe. Apple made the first attack in the courtroom against Samsung in April, with a lawsuit accusing the company of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad, and Samsung quickly fired back, while lawsuits between the two companies continue to mount.
post #2 of 76

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 76
The CDMA iPhone uses a Qualcomm chip as well
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
post #4 of 76
It’s very much in Samsung’s best interests to be able to clone Apple (and other) designs freely, with Apple (and others) convinced that Samsung should be left alone to get away with it.

It’s very much in Apple’s interest to let Samsung (and others) know that either they can’t get away with such blatant copying, or at least that Apple won’t stand still and let it be easy.

What if Samsung did not copy Apple, but instead innovated, like Microsoft has recently done and some tablet makers too? I’d rather see what Samsung can come up with on their own. I want more real choices competing in the market, not knock-offs.

Unfortunately, Apple can’t decide not to play the patent game—the game is there, and Apple is the most-sued tech company. And swapping suits for other suits is how it’s played

post #5 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The latest patent relates to text input for a "smiley" emoticon, created by typing ":-)" on a device. As noted by Mueller, "Smiley or not, patents are serious business."

So If I do this >>> :-) or click this Samsung can sue me?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Id rather see what Samsung can come up with on their own.

You're already seeing it. That's all they have.

post #7 of 76
Technical patents > design "patents".

Get that into your heads people.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #8 of 76
They have a patent for emoticons? Wtf
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #9 of 76
Pardon my French, but...

Someone actually patented the fucking smiley!?

... at night.

... at night.

post #10 of 76
But samsung stuff go great with apple products!

White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #11 of 76
Looking at my messages the iPhone doesn't convert
Code:

":"")"

to smiley's.

That one should be pretty easy.

Edit

This forum converts ":" & ")" to an emoticon.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Apple has a design patent for rectangular tablets.. wtf?
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Mercedes has a design patent for a three pointed star in a circle wtf!

McDonalds has a design patent for two yellow arches wtf!

Audi has a design patent for a series of interlocked circles wtf!

etc

etc

etc

A tool that talks, imagine that.
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Pardon my French, but...

Someone actually patented the fucking smiley!?

I will now patent "Punctuations acronyms for curse words input method for mobile terminal". So if anybody types F_&*k@ a*s&#! I will sue you.
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

etc

etc

etc

The 3 you mentioned aren't design patents.

If you want to be a smartass be a good smartass.
post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Apple does not have a design patent for rectangular tablets. They have a design patent for the iPad. You can easily make a rectangular tablet that doesn't look like an iPad.

Samsung just needs to design their own products instead of blatantly copying Apple's ones.
post #17 of 76
Quote:

etc

etc

etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
post #18 of 76
Quote:

etc

etc

etc

Mercedes does not have a patent on 4 doors and a roof

Mcdonalds does not have a patent on the shape of a hamburger

Audi does not have a patent on front and rear seats

ect

ect

ect

A tool that has no clue, imagine that.
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

I think I'll build a car with a radiator grille that consists of a three equidistantly pointed star inside a circular ring, after all there are no design patents covering that and I will not be using it for any particular type of branding.
post #20 of 76
Quote:

No worse than claiming to have a patent for a rectangular device with rounded corners. WTH!
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #21 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londor View Post

Apple does not have a design patent for rectangular tablets. They have a design patent for the iPad. You can easily make a rectangular tablet that doesn't look like an iPad.

Samsung just needs to design their own products instead of blatantly copying Apple's ones.

No they have a design patent for a rounded rectangular slim form factor having device. The image they levied against Samsung was not the iPad. They have a separate design patent for the iPad...that they never presented in any case. Instead they presented an image of an object that a) doesn't exist and b) will likely never exist.

Yes, "rounded rectangle" is a simplification, but the actual design patent isn't far off.

Besides his point seems to be that in these cases anything goes.

If auto-hyperlinking is patented then auto-smilification is just as complex.
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The 3 you mentioned aren't design patents.

If you want to be a smartass be a good smartass.

They are not patents at all, they are what is known as "obvious" The Star and Bar, 4 circles and golden archers are trademarks as is Apples apple.
post #23 of 76
Quote:

I think I'll build a car with a radiator grille that consists of a three equidistantly pointed star inside a circular ring, after all there are no design patents covering that and I will not be using it for any particular type of branding.

Trademark violation...what aren't you getting?
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

ect

ect

ect

ect???

ectoplasm?

I see'd a ghost.

Apple does not have a design patent on a black rectangle.
post #25 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Trademark violation...what aren't you getting?

He's obviously 'not getting' anything related to a fundamental knowledge regarding what he posts... as usual.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #26 of 76
Way to dramatize this, Slash. You make it sound like Samsung and Apple are firing artillery shells at each other...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No worse than claiming to have a patent for a rectangular device with rounded corners. WTH!

What about the other four points brought up when the Samsung Tab 10.1 was banned?

The Samsung 10.1n is still a RE-DESIGNED rectangular device with rounded corners which does not infringe on Apple's design patent (yet).
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

He's obviously 'not getting' anything related to a fundamental knowledge regarding what he posts... as usual.

Oh, that's whats in that ignored post.

I can see there's no point in removing AD.
post #29 of 76
Apple's lawyer should reply to the fourth charge regarding the emoticon suit with ":-(" and "III" (read between the lines)...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I knew from the article headline alone that this thread would end in dueling picturez. And nothing will get resolved.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 76
Emoticons should have been declared an "essential technology patent" long ago.
Without mobile emoticons all the joy goes out of iOS.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Macintosh 512Ke.......

post #32 of 76
i saw a car in china, resembling mercedes s500, except the trade mark star as upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

ect

ect

ect

post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Technical patents > design "patents".

Get that into your heads people.

Well, *technically* speaking, there is no such thing as technical patents. Let's get that into your head first, person.

But I get your drift and do not entirely disagree.
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

So If I do this >>> :-) or click this Samsung can sue me?

Nope. You can stop worrying.
post #36 of 76
Quote:

You are sure you're not confusing design patents with trademarks?

McDonald's does have design patents but they are for packaging and store design. Insofar as the golden arches go, the shape and color are protected by trademarks, not design patents (as far as I know). Same goes for the interlocking rings. Don't know about the Mercedes logo, but would be surprised if it is protected by a design patent. There is a good reason (amongst many others) - design patents expire. Trademarks last indefinitely so far as they are in commercial use. One would not want the rights to a logo to expire.
post #37 of 76
Quote:

But samsung stuff go great with apple products!

Samsung just does not care.
post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Way to dramatize this, Slash. You make it sound like Samsung and Apple are firing artillery shells at each other...

rectangular artillery shells with rounded edges

post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple's lawyer should reply to the fourth charge regarding the emoticon suit with ":-(" and "III" (read between the lines)...
/
/
/

post #40 of 76
Quote:

You can patent a rectangle, so why not an input method for emoticons?

IP is still IP except this is a utility patent which is > design "patent"

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung sues Apple over 4 new patents, but backs off iPhone 4S complaint
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sues Apple over 4 new patents, but backs off iPhone 4S complaint