or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › RIP Hitchens

RIP Hitchens

post #1 of 8
Christopher Hitchens has passed at age 62. While I am in many ways at odds with some of his views I have respect for the guy for his stubborn stamina in opinion and argument.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 8
Stuborn? And why do you believe in Jesus?
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Stuborn? And why do you believe in Jesus?

I am stubborn as well hence my support of others who are stubborn as hell.

It is quite simple.

Fellows

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

I am stubborn as well hence my support of others who are stubborn as hell.

It is quite simple.

Fellows

Ouch!
post #5 of 8
I know several libertarians who have been influenced by some of his writings.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #6 of 8
An unpredictable character. His movie on Kissinger was good, as was much of his other output. Then he went and supported the neocon agenda, in the full knowledge that both the UK and US governments were perpetrating lies and fabrications, including and the non-existent association with 'al Qaeda' to Iraq, to cajole public support for the war. Maybe Hitchens was a bit of a 'go whichever way the wind blows' type of writer?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #7 of 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPRd04vido

An unpopular position given the room he was in.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #8 of 8
One of my recent favorites from him.

The Narcissism of the Small Difference

Quote:
So pity the Uzbeks and Kyrgyz as they peer suspiciously at one another during a sudden time of scarcity and insecurity. Their mutual miseries may be just beginning. And all this contains the true ingredients of tragedyand of irony. One of the great advantages possessed by Homo sapiens is the amazing lack of variation between its different "branches." Since we left Africa, we have diverged as a species hardly at all. If we were dogs, we would all be the same breed. We do not suffer from the enormous differences that separate other primates, let alone other mammals. As if to spite this huge natural gift, and to disfigure what could be our overwhelming solidarity, we manage to find excuses for chauvinism and racism on the most minor of occasions and then to make the most of them. This is why condemnation of bigotry and superstition is not just a moral question but a matter of survival.

Who will really fill his void?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › RIP Hitchens