or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming - Page 4

post #121 of 223
lol...this thread is humorous and sad.

Can't even compete in a market separate from Apple without feeling the wrath of the iPhan.
post #122 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

"Look mommy! I'm so strong!"

EDIT: "And masculine!"

The evidence is pretty clear that excessive computer use leads to all sorts of issues. Getting out and getting physical is not masculine but wisdom in action.
post #123 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Are you really going to be away from an actual TV long enough to justify a handheld? Moreover, the iPhone makes a pretty good control for many games through Airplay. THe next version of the iPad and iPhone will also boost a significance performance boost.

probably not, im surrounded my tech & tvs, its a new toy tho, im interested in seeing how it goes, its the dedicated buttons & the size that i like, if i could hook up a bluetooth controller to my iPhone or iPad & airplay it to my apple tv, im sure that would be awesome & when the GPUs & CPUs get better that would be amazing, it would have the potential of doing some great things then, imagine playing a console quality game on your tv then you grab your phone get on a bus or train & continue playing the same game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I wouldn't do that if I were you just yet. The people that make Uncharted the bag of awesomeness it is are Naughty Dog, and Naughty Dog doesn't have anything to do with the Vita title.

Wait and see.

i didnt know that, damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Report back please. I'm sure it will be a good experience for a hardcore gamer, I just don't see it being a roaring success that these devices had in the past. Then again if it supports non game apps well it might have a chance.

Will do!.
my brother pre-ordered a japanese version (its all region anyways) its on its way here, should arrive early next week, I'm waiting for the Australian release

its a 5" multi-touch device with gyros accelerometers front & rear cameras, so i guess it should be able to do more then play games, watch movies n music too i guess.
post #124 of 223
I bought a PSP and took it back a week later, since I only played with it for a few hours and lost interest.

I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Macbook Air, and I pretty much have at least two of these with me at all times, occasionally three. I am absolutely a fan of Apple mobile devices.

That said, you Fanboi's are SOOOOOOO stupid, and SOOOOOO cheesy. Just because Sony makes a device that can do things an iDevice can't you start throwing out all this irrelevant market nonsense as if Sales are the true mark of Quality (Cause we all know the Big Mac is the best Quality hamburger money can buy, right you simpletons?)

Dual analog controls on a mobile device?? That was why I took back the PSP; without six axis controls FPS games were unplayable ("Auto-Aim" is wretchedly boring.)

Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.
post #125 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

The above

This is satire, yes? Your entire post is satire, yes?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #126 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I bought a PSP and took it back a week later, since I only played with it for a few hours and lost interest.

I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Macbook Air, and I pretty much have at least two of these with me at all times, occasionally three. I am absolutely a fan of Apple mobile devices.

That said, you Fanboi's are SOOOOOOO stupid, and SOOOOOO cheesy. Just because Sony makes a device that can do things an iDevice can't you start throwing out all this irrelevant market nonsense as if Sales are the true mark of Quality (Cause we all know the Big Mac is the best Quality hamburger money can buy, right you simpletons?)

Dual analog controls on a mobile device?? That was why I took back the PSP; without six axis controls FPS games were unplayable ("Auto-Aim" is wretchedly boring.)

Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.

I'm not quite sure we're the ones wingeing...

Also, are we talking about the Bugatti Veyron? Yeah, I don't think anyone cares if it does email or not. For a car like that and the price tag that comes with it...email is the last thing anyone should care about. Though Ballmer might argue that since it doesn't have a physical keyboard that business users won't be interested.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #127 of 223
The iphone has the best hardware and construction but lacks physical controls.

The PS vita has the best button layout but the software is hit and miss.

Nintendo has the best software catalogue but the construction is half-assed, plastic, clamshell, two-screened, awkward, behemoth with zero battery life.

What's a gamer to do?
post #128 of 223
I don't understand why we don't have a game controller case being sold for the iPhone and developed in conjunction with major titles yet? Oh I know why. Because most of the developers of those titles haven't caved yet. They haven't yet been convinced that selling the same game at $5 to a 200,000,000 market is just as good as selling it for $50 to a 20,000,000 market. They will cave though. A little this year, a lot over the next five, completely over the next 10.
post #129 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

A hardcore gamer hates console gaming. They hate that most PC games are nothing more then ported console games. The hardcore gamer will spend 500.00 on the latest GPU and not even think twice about it.

I use to be a hardcore gamer because games look far better on a PC then they do on a console. The problem is most games these days are made for the console.

Good example is Battlefield 3 was just released and broke just about every sales record for console gaming. The PC version looks unreal.

The downside to this is price. With DX11 the games can push just about any system you can build the problem is that you could spend thousands to play a 60.00 game. Which is why hardcore PC gaming is just about dead. The hardcore gamer is the guy with a 5k rig not the console gamer.

No!...
post #130 of 223
I know this is a powerful hardware today but what about next year? Unlike iOS and Android devices which refresh throughout the year, Sony portable gaming devices typically have 5-6 year life-cycle. VITA will be pretty dated in terms of hardware in about year or two.
post #131 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is satire, yes? Your entire post is satire, yes?

Why the in-credulousness? He's got a point.
post #132 of 223
I'll reconsider getting a focused portable gaming system when game prices drop from the $40+ that they're circling right now. I've maybe spent $40 on game apps for my iPhone all year, and that's for at least 25 individual apps.

I know they'll release quite a few "epic" games on the Vita, ala Uncharted, but you know a year from now the platform will be flooded with a bunch of Plants vs Zombies/Cooking Mama/Angry Birds games that'll cost at least $20 a pop - the exact same games I can get through the App store for $1 or $2. That's what I see happening with the DS.
post #133 of 223
I agree. Sony never meant the Vita as competition to iPhone. The cameras on the vita are very low MPix, but very high frame rate. And the general size of it and the way the thumb sticks pop out without fear shows that it's a different animal. I own an iPhone and an iPad. They are so easy to use and fun to work with but not to play with. I hate it when game developers try to implement analogue sticks on the touch screen. It just doesn't work. Their I said it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #134 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishchild View Post

I know this is a powerful hardware today but what about next year? Unlike iOS and Android devices which refresh throughout the year, Sony portable gaming devices typically have 5-6 year life-cycle. VITA will be pretty dated in terms of hardware in about year or two.

Same goes for PC vs Console. But look how well the consoles are doing now. Game developers actually prefer consoles over PC because of piracy reasons and hardware compatibility issues. Look, months from now I'm sure there will be a Tegra 3 or an apple A6, but they won't have two analogue sticks, shoulder buttons, PSN and SCE backing them up for years.
post #135 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They will cave though. A little this year, a lot over the next five, completely over the next 10.

So what? Should we just put the whole world on hold for 5 years, so Apple can finally make mobile gaming controls comparable to what Sony will do with the Vita?

Please. Like the poster above said: you fanboys are pathetic. I assume most of you are 40+ guys that never played games to begin with but now all of the sudden think they're he experts cause Steve jobs made them shoot little birds on their iPhone.
post #136 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

So what? Should we just put the whole world on hold for 5 years, so Apple can finally make mobile gaming controls comparable to what Sony will do with the Vita?

Please. Like the poster above said: you fanboys are pathetic. I assume most of you are 40+ guys that never played games to begin with but now all of the sudden think they're he experts cause Steve jobs made them shoot little birds on their iPhone.

Years ago I remember Mr. Jobs identifying the Sony Walkman cassette player as a great device. We can certainly take a page or two from his life. He wasnt afraid to admit when something was good. I admire the engineer. Please lets keep him out of this. I hope you agree. And I feel the same way when I read some of these comments.
post #137 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamanuwa View Post

Years ago I remember Mr. Jobs identifying the Sony Walkman cassette player as a great device. We can certainly take a page or two from his life. He wasnt afraid to admit when something was good. I admire the engineer. Please lets keep him out of this. I hope you agree. And I feel the same way when I read some of these comments.

Was Steve even an engineer?
post #138 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Hey Sony! Just an FYI ... it's 2011, not 2007. You're about four years late to the party ...

I take it you are not aware of the Sony PSP.
post #139 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

...
Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.

After I had read the first page of this thread, this is pretty much what I was thinking too.

Especially after playing GTAIII on my phone. Give me a physical analogue controller any day for that type of game.
post #140 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The iphone has the best hardware and construction but lacks physical controls.

The PS vita has the best button layout but the software is hit and miss.

Nintendo has the best software catalogue but the construction is half-assed, plastic, clamshell, two-screened, awkward, behemoth with zero battery life.

What's a gamer to do?

Cool, since you have a Vita, what's your opinion?

The Vita has the best hardware - it's far far more powerful than the A5.
It has all the buttons that many types of game require, and the accelerometers, etc, for the rest.
And a tasty OLED display too (unless it's PenTile...). The problem is the games catalogue right now - hopefully it has the ability to run the Android games on the Android market (or via Sony's own market).

As for Nintendo, they've always made plasticky portable systems, and the first year or two of sales have always been a bit poor, and then three years later everyone seems to have one. But I think they're too far behind the curve with the 3DS, they always cheap out on the CPU/GPU, and they did it again this time round at a time when they needed to make it count. Then they went and priced the system really high, and wondered why people didn't buy it.

Pricing will also be the hurdle the Vita has to overcome. The economy isn't brilliant so are people going to put down that amount of cash up front?
post #141 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm going to introduce a radical thought here, which is that there are no "hard core gamers," there are just people who like to play games.

Only insomuch as the term is ambiguous.

However there are most certainly gaming enthusiasts who have a passion for gaming and are always looking to immerse themselves in the gaming experience.

These gaming enthusiasts may spend thousands on gaming rigs to blow stuff up in a virtual world, or they may be trying to do their best to complete the endless Skyrim side-quests or maybe they are even running through Mario Galaxy the second time as Luigi.

My point being someone who loves war games may or may not be an enthusiast.
post #142 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

It's clunky, it's ugly, it's old fashioned, it's outdated, it's cheap looking.

It's Sony.

Thats a problem with this place.

Many think if it does not come from Cupertino, it automatically sucks.
post #143 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I bought a PSP and took it back a week later, since I only played with it for a few hours and lost interest.

I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, and Macbook Air, and I pretty much have at least two of these with me at all times, occasionally three. I am absolutely a fan of Apple mobile devices.

That said, you Fanboi's are SOOOOOOO stupid, and SOOOOOO cheesy. Just because Sony makes a device that can do things an iDevice can't you start throwing out all this irrelevant market nonsense as if Sales are the true mark of Quality (Cause we all know the Big Mac is the best Quality hamburger money can buy, right you simpletons?)

Dual analog controls on a mobile device?? That was why I took back the PSP; without six axis controls FPS games were unplayable ("Auto-Aim" is wretchedly boring.)

Sony makes something that does something an iPad doesn't. STOP CRYING Fanbois! It is so embarrassing being associated with you. I feel like if you were sitting at the unveiling of the Veyron you'd be pouting and screaming at everyone, "BUT IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL! BUT GUYS! BUT GUYS LISTEN! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE EMAIL!!! IT ISN'T APPPPPPPLLLLLEEE!!! WWAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

That's you. That's what you sound like. Honestly, even "hardcore gamers" are a cooler crew than you wingeing babies. Angry Birds is crap and you know it.

Funny how the teen whiners are out in force.

First, what does the Vita do that the iPhone or iPad doesn't do? It plays different games, but it is a game playing device - which is only one of the many things that the iOS devices can do.

Does it do it better than the iOS devices? Entirely possible - and I don't think anyone denied that. But to argue that it does something entirely different is absurd - just the sort of thing I'd expect from some loser sitting on his couch arguing about whose gaming rig is a few tenths of an FPS faster.

And it's funny how it's the anti-Apple crowd that's doing all the whining here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

So what? Should we just put the whole world on hold for 5 years, so Apple can finally make mobile gaming controls comparable to what Sony will do with the Vita?

Please. Like the poster above said: you fanboys are pathetic. I assume most of you are 40+ guys that never played games to begin with but now all of the sudden think they're he experts cause Steve jobs made them shoot little birds on their iPhone.

Hardly. People pointed out that they didn't see a need for another dedicated device to play games a little better than iOS devices when it is so limited in so many other ways. How is that pathetic? Seems to me that pathetic would be the little boy whose entire life revolves around playing games a little faster than someone else which allows him to shoot a few more bad guys than someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Cool, since you have a Vita, what's your opinion?

The Vita has the best hardware - it's far far more powerful than the A5.
It has all the buttons that many types of game require, and the accelerometers, etc, for the rest.
And a tasty OLED display too (unless it's PenTile...). The problem is the games catalogue right now - hopefully it has the ability to run the Android games on the Android market (or via Sony's own market).

As for Nintendo, they've always made plasticky portable systems, and the first year or two of sales have always been a bit poor, and then three years later everyone seems to have one. But I think they're too far behind the curve with the 3DS, they always cheap out on the CPU/GPU, and they did it again this time round at a time when they needed to make it count. Then they went and priced the system really high, and wondered why people didn't buy it.

Pricing will also be the hurdle the Vita has to overcome. The economy isn't brilliant so are people going to put down that amount of cash up front?

Funny how people are talking about Vita in the present tense. Unless you're a beta tester for Sony, you don't have one - and neither do the "Vita uber ales" people here. At this point, it's a promise of a future product. Until it comes out and people see how it works, it's far to early to judge.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #144 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Airplay is a pretty powerful feature. Hard to compete with that.

Its cool but still does not give you physical controls.
post #145 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how the teen whiners are out in force.

First, what does the Vita do that the iPhone or iPad doesn't do? It plays different games, but it is a game playing device - which is only one of the many things that the iOS devices can do.

Does it do it better than the iOS devices? Entirely possible - and I don't think anyone denied that. But to argue that it does something entirely different is absurd - just the sort of thing I'd expect from some loser sitting on his couch arguing about whose gaming rig is a few tenths of an FPS faster.

And it's funny how it's the anti-Apple crowd that's doing all the whining here.



Hardly. People pointed out that they didn't see a need for another dedicated device to play games a little better than iOS devices when it is so limited in so many other ways. How is that pathetic? Seems to me that pathetic would be the little boy whose entire life revolves around playing games a little faster than someone else which allows him to shoot a few more bad guys than someone else.



Funny how people are talking about Vita in the present tense. Unless you're a beta tester for Sony, you don't have one - and neither do the "Vita uber ales" people here. At this point, it's a promise of a future product. Until it comes out and people see how it works, it's far to early to judge.

Its out in Japan so that makes it "present".
post #146 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how the teen whiners are out in force.
First, what does the Vita do that the iPhone or iPad doesn't do? It plays different games, but it is a game playing device - which is only one of the many things that the iOS devices can do.

Yeah, iOS can do it, but Vita does it better.
iOS can record voices and video, yet I don't see people recording CD's and TV shows with it. Just because iOS can do something,doesn't mean all other dedicated devices are nog longer needed

Quote:
But to argue that it does something entirely different is absurd - just the sort of thing I'd expect from some loser sitting on his couch arguing about whose gaming rig is a few tenths of an FPS faster.

You obviously haven't got a clue. I assume the only thing you ever get to play with is that pathetic little weener your wife traded in for a big black dildo?
Calling people losers, real classy. And yeah, I know. Now you're going to whine about the dildo comment.

Quote:
And it's funny how it's the anti-Apple crowd that's doing all the whining here.

What the fuck are you talking about? 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 iMacs, AppleTV...
Nothing to do with being anti Apple when you say gaming on iOS sucks ass.
It just does.

Quote:
Seems to me that pathetic would be the little boy whose entire life revolves around playing games a little faster than someone else which allows him to shoot a few more bad guys than someone else

Go call the nurse to wipe your ass again grampa.

Quote:
Funny how people are talking about Vita in the present tense. Unless you're a beta tester for Sony, you don't have one -

It's been at numerous gameshows already stupid.
But I guess you were too busy sitting on the couch with your lazy ass.
You need to get out more.
post #147 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

The above

Four posts in and you're doing a bang up job.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #148 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


Both shampoos have their uses and supporters, but to say that a specialized shampoo will fail just because you don't have dandruff is is silly and uniformed.

I'm sure they will sell 1 or 2, but it aint gonna "reclaim' anything.
The business model is so last decade.
post #149 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

Yeah, iOS can do it, but Vita does it better.
iOS can record voices and video, yet I don't see people recording CD's and TV shows with it. Just because iOS can do something,doesn't mean all other dedicated devices are nog longer needed


You obviously haven't got a clue. I assume the only thing you ever get to play with is that pathetic little weener your wife traded in for a big black dildo?
Calling people losers, real classy. And yeah, I know. Now you're going to whine about the dildo comment.


What the fuck are you talking about? 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 iMacs, AppleTV...
Nothing to do with being anti Apple when you say gaming on iOS sucks ass.
It just does.


Go call the nurse to wipe your ass again grampa.


It's been at numerous gameshows already stupid.
But I guess you were too busy sitting on the couch with your lazy ass.
You need to get out more.

Wow. All those words and not a single intelligent phrase among them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #150 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazHunt View Post

How many iPhones do you have?

4, but then I'm a developer, I need them for testing.
post #151 of 223
What Apple needs to do to not be vulnerable in this space is to overhaul the Touch based around a screen that makes sense for a portable computer/gaming console as opposed to making the Touch essentially a smartphone minus the phone.

Being that the Touch works with a touchscreen, it's easy for Apple to use a screen similar in size to the Vita and yet to offer a device that is easier to pocket than the Vita will be. As for the Touch not being a good gaming device, what a load of nonsense. Sure, for serious gaming it has its limitations but there are far more consumers who are looking for a fun, casual gaming device than hardcore gamers who want to have an identical experience from a handheld to what can be achieved with a full-blown gaming system.

As others have pointed out, the Touch is more versatile than the Vita is going to be plus more portable with access to far less expensive games. The one big edge for the Vita is a five-inch screen that will have a significant impact on how gaming will be perceived on the device. It's like the difference between gaming on a small screen vs. a big-screen gaming experience.

The thing is that Apple can address this without losing all the advantages the Touch would have over the Vita. I think Apple could easily respond to this threat in a timely manner. After all the update to the Touch we got in September was exceedingly anemic so it would not be outrageous for Apple to unleash a new Touch built around let's say a 4.7-inch touchscreen around the same time that the new iPad is likely to be introduced not to mention the same time frame as the anticipated Vita rollout in North America.

It is possible, though, that Apple might just keep it's powder dry, so to speak, and just let this play out to figure out where the Touch fits into this scenario using its current form factor. Personally I think that would be a mistake but it certainly does appear that Apple could opt for that approach. If so we could be waiting until a September 2012 response based on the Vita's impact.

I realize that it hasn't been Apple's MO to compete on specifications in terms of an our-screen-is-bigger-than-your-screen sort of approach but the Touch's uses have outgrown screen real estate. It's overdue for such an overhaul and with products like the Vita trying to shake up the portable gaming market, making such a change really makes sense.

By the way, even if Apple retained the 960X640 resolution of the current Touch but used it on a screen approximately an inch larger, such a device would still have a higher PPI count than the Vita's 960X544 resolution on a 5-inch unit.
post #152 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

The vita will separate the gamers from the posers.

I love the iOS devices but as far as gaming goes, they don't come close to a dedicated gaming console, don't fool yourselves people.

Sales numbers would show that in fact you are the one fooling yourself. People are more than happy to pay, and pay well, for a device that covers many areas including gaming. Rather than paying for a phone, a PDA, a gaming device, an ipod and so on.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #153 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If I want a quick time waster, I will use my phone.

And there's the catch. 99% of game play is quick time wasting, young kids etc. NOT hard core folks that generally want to play games on big fast computers with super high def displays etc.

And that is why things like the Vita will NOT reclaim mobile gaming. The audience for mobile is more than happy to waste a little time on a game on their iphone, hand their iphone to their kid that is whining cause his dinner is taking too long in the restaurant etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What Apple needs to do to not be vulnerable in this space

Are you sure they are 'vulnerable in this space'. The touch may not be a huge seller but the ipad and iphone are. And the developers seem to be more than happy with the money they are getting from their iOS games.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #154 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Funny how people are talking about Vita in the present tense. Unless you're a beta tester for Sony, you don't have one - and neither do the "Vita uber ales" people here. At this point, it's a promise of a future product. Until it comes out and people see how it works, it's far to early to judge.

Its the kind of thing that you have to hold in your hands. Then you will know whether or not it is Magical. Like an iPad.
post #155 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

When one bottle of shampoo does dandruff and the other is standard shampoo.

Both shampoos have their uses and supporters, but to say that a specialized shampoo will fail just because you don't have dandruff is is silly and uniformed.

Why buy shampoos? I say buy real poo.
Oh, wait...
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #156 of 223
Blablabla... What a bunch of idiots in here.
The Vita is made for gamers, the iPhone happens to be able to do games as an extra.
Some games will do extremely well on a touch device, some suck ass.

People who want to play games like gta3 or fps without the annoyance of seeiing your own fingers all the time get a Vita...
Its not like you HAVE to carry both devices with you all the the time, but if you want some serious gaming at least you have the option totake the vita...
post #157 of 223
And do i think sony will reclaim mobile gaming?
Nope, there are far too many cheap bastards out there for that, that would rather have a crappy gaming experience for $5 on iOS than an excellent one on the VIta for $40
post #158 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Four posts in and you're doing a bang up job.

Please send him a private email, as an Admin, letting him know that only verified Apple fans are allowed to speak that way.

He doesn't realize that unless you are a verified Fan, you cannot defend yourself, and you certainly CANNOT stoop down to the level of the regulars, or you will be kicked.

That is the first rule here. Non-iFans must behave. Rabid fans can do or say just about anything they want.
post #159 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As others have pointed out, the Touch is more versatile than the Vita is going to be plus more portable with access to far less expensive games. The one big edge for the Vita is a five-inch screen that will have a significant impact on how gaming will be perceived on the device. It's like the difference between gaming on a small screen vs. a big-screen gaming experience.

The thing is that Apple can address this without losing all the advantages the Touch would have over the Vita. I think Apple could easily respond to this threat in a timely manner. After all the update to the Touch we got in September was exceedingly anemic so it would not be outrageous for Apple to unleash a new Touch built around let's say a 4.7-inch touchscreen around the same time that the new iPad is likely to be introduced not to mention the same time frame as the anticipated Vita rollout in North America.

They should release a bigger iPod Touch because it would be a better iPod Touch. It won't make any difference against Vita or any other dedicated gaming system. They wipe the floor with iOS devices due to the controls. Some 90% of games are not optimal on touchscreen. The other 10% just hasn't shown up on iOS. Developers apparently do not believe iOS users will pay for good strategy games, etc.
Quote:
I realize that it hasn't been Apple's MO to compete on specifications in terms of an our-screen-is-bigger-than-your-screen sort of approach but the Touch's uses have outgrown screen real estate. It's overdue for such an overhaul and with products like the Vita trying to shake up the portable gaming market, making such a change really makes sense.

I'm pretty sure if the Vita does some shaking of the market, that shaking will be in the form of the new touch controls which enable the device to do things the PSP was not capable of and (3)DS is not capable of.
It's no threat to iOS devices because non-gamers won't carry a Vita, and iOS devices are no threat to it because iOS games are garbage and even good games which could conceivably be released on iOS are only a small part of the market.
Quote:
By the way, even if Apple retained the 960X640 resolution of the current Touch but used it on a screen approximately an inch larger, such a device would still have a higher PPI count than the Vita's 960X544 resolution on a 5-inch unit.

The best current consoles render AAA games at lower resolutions than that. PPI is completely irrelevant to mobile gaming.
post #160 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As for the Touch not being a good gaming device, what a load of nonsense. Sure, for serious gaming it has its limitations but there are far more consumers who are looking for a fun, casual gaming device than hardcore gamers

Yes indeed. In its attempt to be most things to most people, Apple has cultivated a following of people who will accept mediocre performance.

True aficionados of each dedicated device reject the mediocrity of Apple products, but those who don't really care about quality think that their "Swiss Army Knife" is the tops.


Grandma does NOT play console games. Grandma plays Angry Birds. Grandma buys an iPad. Apple makes more profit than Sony.

Case closed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming